Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Are you arguing that remaining in the EU prevents nationalisation or not? I'm honestly having trouble following this debate

The truth is that successive Tory and Labour governments have used the EU as an excuse for why they can't do nice things.

Meanwhile in reality half the EU does these nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

haha political violence lol kek

Is a good thing to do when airplanes fail us.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

marktheando posted:

You can shut up as well, your party has to take a good share of the Brexit blame for putting Cameron in Downing Street in the first place.

:holymoley:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i quoted the wrong post there and cba fixing it

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

marktheando posted:

I'll be really upset if we get a deal that involves no free movement. It breaks my heart to see my EU national friends being told to gently caress off by the people of their adopted nation.

Will EU nationals who aren't rich be able to immigrate in the future? Will those who are here already be allowed to stay? Nobody knows!

It's so loving heartless. And the loving Labour Party are just happy to get rid of freedom of movement and ruin millions of lives to keep Farage happy.

I feel bad for your friends but I also feel bad for the unemployed and those on zero hour contracts who cant find decent employment or are abused by employers knowing they can just sack them and hire a Eastern European who will do the work for cheaper and will take the blatant abuse.

Mass immigration screws the Working Class by making them more disposable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel bad for your friends but I also feel bad for the unemployed and those on zero hour contracts who cant find decent employment or are abused by employers knowing they can just sack them and hire a Eastern European who will do the work for cheaper and will take the blatant abuse.

No, government willingness to allow immigrants to become an exploited underclass does that, not the fact that immigrants exist.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

No, capitalism screws them over, not immigration.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

OwlFancier posted:

No, government willingness to allow immigrants to become an exploited underclass does that, not the fact that immigrants exist.

God, I wish I could get any of our own thumbpeople to understand this.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Rygar201 posted:

God, I wish I could get any of our own thumbpeople to understand this.

The problem is that people see the symptom of the illness and not the cause of the illness

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem is that people see the symptom of the illness and not the cause of the illness

Including you, you idiot.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

Including you, you idiot.

Please dont use ableist language

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Please dont use ableist language

You are the symptom.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Well, idiot in its original meaning describes somebody disengaged from politics and public life, and to be fair I think it applies.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
In Blackpool for instance Hotels are willing to take on immigrants as they can pay them under the table and for less than minimum wage.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

marktheando posted:

The truth is that successive Tory and Labour governments have used the EU as an excuse for why they can't do nice things.

See also: Miliband's infamous "controls on immigration", which are basically what Germany does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In Blackpool for instance Hotels are willing to take on immigrants as they can pay them under the table and for less than minimum wage.

Why do you think they can do that?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

TomViolence posted:

Well, idiot in its original meaning describes somebody disengaged from politics and public life, and to be fair I think it applies.

Just because I sit inside my house watching Twin Peaks and animes all day while arguing with Marxists on a dead gay forum doesn't make me a idiot

:smugbert:

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
oh hey a new poll
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/881202621004083202
Opinium's last poll (before the election) had Con 43, Lab 36, LD 8, UKIP 5. Don't know yet if they've changed their methodology since the election though. Lib Dems' strategy clearly cutting through though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah, beaten to the poll. Still, nice looking numbers. Though the more these polls keep happening the less chance that the government will collapse. It's the horrid situation of Jeremy Corbyn & Labour doing well being bad for Jeremy Corbyn's chances of becoming PM before 2017 is done.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

Why do you think they can do that?

Because the Hoteliers are crooked and people turn a blind eye to it

The same with the nightclubs and the resulting alcoholic and drug culture surrounding it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Imagine if the law were enforced to prevent such things :thunk: or if immigrants were banned and the welfare state were cut so Brits were forced into the same situation, surely they wouldn't be exploited in the same way :thunk:

marktheando posted:

Right so what's the problem with Labour supporting nationalisation and remaining in the EU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Because the Hoteliers are crooked and people turn a blind eye to it

The same with the nightclubs and the resulting alcoholic and drug culture surrounding it

:confused:

The what now?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Right so what's the problem with Labour supporting nationalisation and remaining in the EU

Well I don't think they would like us going full soviet, but loads of EU countries have more nationalised things than us. Lots of things that were privatised in the U.K. were sold to state owned EU companies!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

forkboy84 posted:

:confused:

The what now?

Sorry

Blackpool has a big club scene which attracts the attention of big time drug dealers selling coke and mollys to tourists which creates alot of trouble in the town but the council never intervenes because of the money it brings into Blackpool

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sorry

Blackpool has a big club scene which attracts the attention of big time drug dealers selling coke and mollys to tourists which creates alot of trouble in the town but the council never intervenes because of the money it brings into Blackpool

They should legalise drug use (& possession & sale) to deal with the problem of illegal drug dealers.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I don't really see why everyone's relitigating brexit just now, we all know it's a bad idea but we're still locked into it. It's a fait accompli. Instead of trying to revert things to the pre-brexit status quo we should maybe instead be thinking about how we're gonna deal with the inevitable crisis it produces at the other end of the process. You know, rather than trying to will a broken bone to mend, we should think about what we can use to make a splint.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Also if you're in Blackpool in the first place you've made some bad choices.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
eh this one's bad tho
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/881204833314799616

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

4% fall, 2% gain seems... odd.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TomViolence posted:

I don't really see why everyone's relitigating brexit just now, we all know it's a bad idea but we're still locked into it. It's a fait accompli. Instead of trying to revert things to the pre-brexit status quo we should maybe instead be thinking about how we're gonna deal with the inevitable crisis it produces at the other end of the process. You know, rather than trying to will a broken bone to mend, we should think about what we can use to make a splint.

Neither Labour or the Tories are going to risk alienating brexiteers by saying Brexit will be anything other than a wonderful opportunity. So there won't be any kind of plan to deal with the negative consequences, no money set aside, nothing.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Miftan posted:

Also if you're in Blackpool in the first place you've made some bad choices.

I was born in this dump

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd bet this entire thread would be :qq:ing if the same happened to Corbyn
lol as if any of the paper tigers that dominate the Conservative voting base would even dare to venture outside their house. Those fuckers can't even muster the enthusiasm to turn up to meet a Tory candidate let alone a Labour one.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I was born in this dump

That's rough, mate. I was born in Israel though, so it just goes to show you that if you try hard enough, believe in yourself, and have rich parents, you too can move to London one day.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

I was born in this dump

There's your problem

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

If only there were some kind of body that deals with this, you could report your "legitimate" "concerns" to them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was born in this dump
Yeah but you did get two nights of the WWE UK tournament this year so its not all bad.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

marktheando posted:

Neither Labour or the Tories are going to risk alienating brexiteers by saying Brexit will be anything other than a wonderful opportunity. So there won't be any kind of plan to deal with the negative consequences, no money set aside, nothing.

There is a degree of difference between the two parties' attitudes to brexit and their negotiating positions, however, and I consider labour's position to be far more measured and nuanced and to be prioritising the right things - that is, jobs, rights for EU citizens already here and a deliberate ambiguity around immigration that suggests to me a much softer immigration policy than the red meat the tories are throwing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TomViolence posted:

There is a degree of difference between the two parties' attitudes to brexit and their negotiating positions, however, and I consider labour's position to be far more measured and nuanced and to be prioritising the right things - that is, jobs, rights for EU citizens already here and a deliberate ambiguity around immigration that suggests to me a much softer immigration policy than the red meat the tories are throwing.

"Freedom of movement will end" seems very unambiguous to me. But yes it is a bit better than the staggeringly evil Tory position. Such high praise.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

4% fall, 2% gain seems... odd.

SNP and Plaid could add up to a 2% gain.

People voting Green need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. loving muppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
"Soft Brexit" is the worst position because what are you asking for if not "oh, I want it to be exactly like it was before, only with less foreign people"?

e - Alternately, you're being sold a line by political opportunists who know you want things to be exactly like they were before, except they won't. The EU is a package, not a pick and mix. We voted to leave, Labour are offering the realistic but humane position.

number one pta fan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 1, 2017

• Locked thread