Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

I am Communist posted:

Riley Cell #12

Riley was curled up in a ball. The kicking she had had left her exhausted. The patron of her woe had sensed her trying to access his dreams. He had sent 5 goalers to send her a message. <Stay out>. A grey skinned elf from cell #9 called out. "Child. Are you alright?" The elfwoman had taken her own beating yelling at the guards. She sounded weak. "Just tell them what you think they want to hear. I'll try to protect you."
The lack of light had helped Riley dream and sleep. However the guards were like blanks to her and her captor was very aware of any attempts to meddle there. Very odd the guards didn't dream. Footsteps coming from below echoed. Someone was coming.

Riley Cell #12

"I'm not a child," was the first thing Riley told the stranger. Not willing to trust anyone just yet, Riley took no comfort in the elfwoman's promise.

When the footsteps came, Riley stood up and practiced her stone face. As long as she can stand it, the thugs don't get to see her weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Cell #12

The elfwoman could not protect Riley now. So much for that.

But there was new commotion now, the sound of someone breaking through their door and rampaging through the corridor. Riley couldn't quite make out if the noises were coming towards her or away from her.

"Help!" Riley screamed as loud as she could to whoever could hear. "I have a relic in here!" she lied. "It's not mine, I don't know what it does, but maybe it can help!"

Riley is committed to the lie now, but she searches her bare possessions for something she can use as a prop. As a street kid, she always had trinkets in her pockets, along with Leopold, her stalwart mouse companion. Maybe she's managed to hold onto a bauble, or palmed something when the guards were handling her. [Sneaky +2], but no Patak bonus since this would have happened before current events.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Cell #12

"There." Riley points at the farthest corner of her cell. Behind her back she holds the knife with the blade down, ready to make rapid downward stabs. "I hid it in that corner."

Riley is setting up a backstab on Sweet Mouth. [Sneaky +2][Vulnerability to Knives +4]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Cell #12

"Good night, Sweet Tooth."

Riley moves to deliver Sweet Tooth the coup de grace and loot his corpse. [Sneaky +2][Vulnerability to Knives +4]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

I am Communist posted:

Riley is now armed and dangerous!

Riley is armed, but she's always been dangerous

Riley Leaving Cell #12

As soon as she had Sweet Tooth's sword in hand, Riley was out the door and moving away from the sound of fighting.

Attempting to avoid both the fight and any detection, Riley heads for the quietest route available. [+2 Sneaky]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Corridor outside Room of Lamentful Answers => Room of Lamentful Answers

"I was like you," Ksenija told Riley. "A street orphan. You can come with me if you want, watch each others backs. Your choice."

Riley stays stonefaced. "You don't know who I am," she says without warmth. But after a short pause and a frown, she adds, "My name is Riley."

When Ksenija runs into the Room of Lamentful Answers, Riley follows several paces behind. Not out of trust, but Riley's willing to let the grown-up screen the path ahead. But inside the torture chamber, Riley spots people, including Ksenija, sifting through a pile of relics strewn across the ground. Maybe Leopold's Flute is there, too.

She ignores all the strangers and the corpses for the moment, sneaking towards the pile of relics for her own treasure. But she's not picky, either. Any relic is going to be valuable, and Riley is used to collecting trinkets.

Looking for Leopold's Flute in the pile of strewn relics, and [+2 Sneaky] to palm any other relics that no one's going to miss...

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax

Quickly, while everyone around her is focusing on themselves or something else, Riley beelines for the darkest street or alley she can find.

If we can choose any compass direction, let me choose the iconic North by Northwest. Also, did Riley manage to hold onto Sweet Tooth's sword?

edit: to get the first action against the next encounter, I'd like to use [+2 Sneaky] to prevent anything from surprising her.

Caufman fucked around with this message at Jul 9, 2017 around 22:33

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Alley behind the tavern

Feeling right at home in a poorly lit alley, Riley finds the darkest, most out-of-the-way corner and sits concealed among the trash. With her arms hugging her knees and her head resting against the wall, Riley falls asleep, perchance to dream of Leopold and the twins.

Riley enters the dreamworld to look for her friends. I'm using her flaw [-2 Acedia] to successfully find them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley clutched at the coins with feigned desperation. She squeezed the dwarfs hand and pleaded with him. "Please mister, I'm not a vagrant. I'm not even from around here. I don't know where I am or how to get back."

Riley sniffled and pretended to be on the verge of tears. Some marks you hit by taking advantage of their unawareness, and some marks you hit by taking advantage of their pity.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It wasn't going to be pretty, but Riley decided not to break character. She went down and curled into a ball, sobbing for mercy.

"I'm sorry! Please, I don't need to be beaten."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley A cage near Slave Processing

After watching the man get impaled for speaking out of turn, Riley decided being a slave in this country was as good as being dead. She would have to take the opportunity to escape, but there was one trick she wanted to try to gain the advantage. She reached under her clothes to push the whalebone flute as close as possible to her mouth. Doing her best to conceal the flute from the orc and the dwarf, Riley played the softest note she could manage.

Attempting to use the flute of [+2 Resurrection] to bring the dead man back to life and [+2 Sneaky] to escape out the gate in the confusion.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Outside Mistress Greybeard's Home for Wayward Children

Leaving the ugly scene behind, Riley stopped before the orphanage. Come to think of it, she had not seen any children since she was taken to this strange land. Not wanting to fall into another bad situation, Riley decided to case the orphanage before making an entrance.

[+2 Sneaky] to stealthily recon Mistress Greybeard's.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Inside Mistress Greybeard's Home for Wayward Children

Made, Riley stepped out of hiding into plain sight with her hands raised.

"Easy there," she said to the man who looked like he was in charge. "I was just looking for a place to sleep. No need to make this weird."

There's something wrong with the way the kids around the room were acting. Riley looked at their expressions suspiciously. She turned back to the man, frowning; he probably had something to do with it.

"You were at the prison with me, which means you're not from around here either. I don't know what you're capable of. You don't know what I'm capable of. I just want to get back to where I'm from. Let's not accidentally get in each other's way."

She kept her hands raised, but her posture poised. Your move, her expression said.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Leaving Mistress Greybeard's Home for Wayward Children

"Appreciate you being reasonable," Riley said as she backed away towards the exit. She stopped just before disappearing to say, "Just in case we do run into each other again, I meant what I said. All I want is the way home. Or the way out. If you learn something, you know there's probably some way I can return the favor."

Riley paused long enough to let Hakon have the last word if he wanted it, and to let her scan everyone's faces one last time to recognize them in the dreamland. Then she left peacefully and quickly put distance between her and the orphanage.

Back to square one, but except for a few bruises, Riley's not any worse off than she's been since she was taken here. But now she had to make finding a shelter her top priority. Some place inaccessible without foot traffic, that's what she needed. The top floor of an abandoned building, or inside a clocktower, or in a temple's rafters, those would do.

[Sneaky +2] to find some place in the underground city to be a hideout.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Behind a Seamstress Shop

Riley snatches the pie and immediately begins consuming it as quickly as she can without burning her mouth. She hasn't had freshly made food in so long. It's worth risking even a trip back to Slave Processing.

When she's had as much as she can eat, Riley puts the pan of leftovers back on the sill and wipes the evidence off her mouth. She hurries back into her hiding spot, falling quickly to sleep.

Last time she dreamed, Riley tried to find her way back to her friends and found them blocked off in a way she'd never encountered before. This time, Riley determines to explore this world's dreams, starting with her new neighbors'. She needs clues about this place, the locale in particular and the broader area, too. Secrets help, too. But there's no need to be carelessly invasive and alert anyone to the presence of a dreamwalker in the neighborhood.

Data-mining the neighborhood dreams with Riley's Dream Weaver [+4]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thank you for your mercy. I will use it to the best effect for our collective story.

Riley - Behind a Seamstress Shop, Dreaming In Riley's Sanctuary

The man's dream made Riley laugh. The woman's dream made Riley bored. The child's dream made Riley curious. Slate-Iron City sounded worse than home. Before coming here, Riley hadn't considered that such places existed.

Riley wanted to meet the kid who dreamed of being in class. She took the next chance she got to find them in the dream world. Once on the other side, Riley reconstructed one of her mental sanctuaries: a dilapidated cabin in a green place that she called Overgrown Park. She invited the other child over to her dream with a greeting.

"Hi. I'm Riley. Wanna play?"

I'll roll [Dream Weaver +4] to set up the play date.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

That was fun! When you stop having fun playing, you've grown up, and then you might as well be dead. But you can't stay in the dream world if something in the waking world demands attention.

Riley is going to wake up, hoping that her hideout gives her the drop on any danger. [Sneaky +2]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley shot to her feet and stood her ground and faced the dog. She decided running was suicide; the dog would run her down. Surrender wasn't an option either, not to a hungry dog. That left fighting as her only option.

Or maybe not. It occurred to Riley that each time she used Leopold's flute, the ones she brought back were healthier than before. Maybe you didn't have to be dead to be rejuvenated. Maybe a healthy dog wouldn't chance a fight for a next meal.

"Easy, dog," she told the beast as she reached for the flute without shifting her eyes away. Like with a dog whistle, she blew the highest pitch she could reach.

Experimenting with the flute at [Resurrection +2]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Leaving the Back of a Seamstress Shop

Bitten, scratched, traumatized, and alive, Riley takes deep breaths to collect her thoughts. How long has she been in this hateful city? She's lost track of time, shifting from hidey hole to hidey hole, trying to find safe places to sleep. But it's clear to her that she's getting into trouble being alone on the streets. She reasons that she has two good options left:

1) Chance another nap on the street and call Mindy;
2) Find some street kids to fall in with.

As urgently as she wants to explain her situation to Mindy, Riley decides she needs a safe bed first. That leaves option 2, finding a gang of street kids. Not the orphans at Lady Greybeard. For the moment, whatever's wrong with them is beyond Riley.

So Riley will look for kids in the beggar's districts, but first she needs to steal something she can use as a token of friendship and proof of skill. Looking the way she does now, there's no way she can go somewhere fancy and not draw attention. She'll need to find something in a working-class neighborhood, maybe in a dense open-air market or a busy intersection.

[Sneaky +2] to lift something of modest value.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Inside the Deserted Smithy, Into a dream of Slate-Iron City

It's got to be the jewelry. A piece of jewelry is still the best store of value most people could get their hands on.

But before she makes her lift, Riley uses the hideout first. She weighed the risks out in her head: take a chance sleeping unattended in the abandoned shop, or steal a trinket and make new friends. Deciding it's best to talk to Mindy before making another move, Riley hides in the most closeted spot she can find and dozes off.

This time, Riley brings Mindy into a dreamscape of a Slate-Iron City alley: dark, bleak, stinky and gross. Riley appears as she does in the waking world: disheveled and beaten.

"I need your help," Riley tells Mindy plainly and seriously. Riley tells Mindy as much as the other girl can handle: Riley's ability to dreamwalk, the place that she's from, her arrival at the prison fortress, their escape, and Riley's time in the streets.

"I have to get back home. I have friends waiting for me there. But I don't know how I got here, and I don't know how to get back. And I'm not safe here. Do you know who can help me? Or somewhere I can go? Not Lady Greybeard's orphanage. I've been there, and it's... not a good place right now."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Inside the Deserted Smithy, Into a dream of Slate-Iron City

"Thank you, Mindy; thank you!"

Riley hugs her friend tightly. So much has happened to her that sometimes Riley finds it easier to stuff her feelings deep inside, but some things like the kindness of kids still touches her. Seeing Mindy cry makes Riley cry, but they're happy tears. She stays this way for a good long dreamtime before wiping her face and getting serious again.

"Listen, though. If you're going to help me, we both need to be smart and careful. Someone came after me, brought me here. He's dead now, but I think the danger has followed me. We have to make sure neither of us gets hurt, okay?" It's a promise Riley intends to keep.

After leaving the dreamworld behind, Riley goes straight to meet Mindy. She ignores the marks at the merchant district for now. Something better has come along.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Outside Mindy's House

Riley walked right up to the Granby's front door and knocked on it firmly. When it finally opened, she said, "Hi. I'm Riley, Mindy's friend. Is Mindy home?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Outside Mindy's House

Why are all grown ups such tools, Riley wondered. The soft approach wasn't working, so she tried something else.

"Wait," she said sticking her foot in the door. All the sweetness and vulnerability left her voice. Now it was matter-of-fact and straight to business. "I have something the Granbys are going to want to see. I'm only going to show it to them. All of them. If they don't want it, they're going to send me away pretty quick. But if they do, it's going to change their lives. Do you really want to stand in the way of that?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Inside Mindy's House

Riley frowned, offended by the . Kids are better off when their parents are dead, she decided.

"I'm not a soul stealer. I'm Riley. And I have abilities. Some might be useful to a person in the healing profession."

She took out her whalebone flute from hiding. "I can bring dead things back to life with this. Better than before, even. I can bring them back. This flute is just a piece of bone without me. Trust me on that. The people who brought me here tried real hard to use it without me. It was useless."

Riley continued. "What I want- what I need is to find the way back to where I'm from. While I'm looking for that way, I need a place to stay, some coin to follow up on leads, and a friend." She paused her monolog to make eye contact with Mindy and smile. She deserved better than this world.

"Bring me a dead thing and I'll show you I can bring it back. Could be a bug you just smashed. Or call your enforcers, and you'll never see me again except in your dreams."

[Resurrection +2] if the Granbys will play ball and produce a corpse. [Sneaky +2] if Riley has to flee the house.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Your pity is appreciated

Riley - Leaving Mindy's House - Back to the Abandoned Shop

Riley shook her head at Mindy, meaning that she did not blame the child for anything. Riley began to back away. "Just so you know," she told the adults, "Mindy didn't have anything to do with my choice to come here. If you hurt her, I will be back." If they were going to be afraid of her, they should be afraid for the right reason.

Riley left the Granby's estate and made her way back to the abandoned shop she found in the merchant district. Real tears threatened to fall down Riley's eyes, but she stuffed them back. She was tired, though, so tired. She needed sleep, she told herself.

Back at the empty shop, Riley found a dark spot to lay her head. She wanted out of this world more than ever, even more than when she was in the dungeon of the Master, where she at least lived in ignorance of the shittiness of Slate-Iron City. At the very least, she wanted to flee into its dreamlands, where she at least could hope to find a nodens of this world, or any benevolent creature she could find.

"Please help me!" Riley yelled into the void of dreams, where she made no substance so as to encounter the dreamland in its purest form. "I'm a stranger here and lost. I'm begging anyone to help me find my way."

Back to the dreamland, this time trying to commune with a dream spirit for guidance. [Dream Weaver +4]

Caufman fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2017 around 00:05

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Dreamland

Clearly this dream creature thought it was funny. Riley might have found it funny, too, if she weren't in pain and desperate.

Riley pointed into the space where she could see her friends back home, but couldn't go through. "That's where I want to go. There. Home. And not just in dreams. I need to get back there in body, too. Do you know the way? Or is there anyone left in this world who is good, besides the children?"

Caufman fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2017 around 00:39

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Dreamland

Riley's eyes widened at the dream creature's answers. She stared, astounded and chastened. Who could the fairy have meant were the good people Riley tried to harm? Was it Ksenija, the strange lady back in the dungeon? Or the smooth talker at the orphanage? Riley didn't like bringing the dead guy in the slave pen back to life just to have him slaughtered again. But she wasn't the one who killed him first.

But Riley didn't deny what the dreamland fairy said, and accepted the warning quietly. Suddenly feeling uncomfortable with how she looked, Riley stopped slouching and looked the being in the face while trying not to stare. "Yes, please and thank you. I miss my friends. If you can help me, then I can do my best to help you back."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Abandoned Shop, Merchant District

Riley crawled out of the deserted shop through the loose board in the back. She stood under some cover from the rain, curious about how it was falling in an underground city. She rubbed her hands, and instead of producing warmth, they produced coldness. She cupped her hands as if to hold this coldness, then blew it towards the subterranean sky. Let it snow, let it snow, Riley thought. The cold never bothered me anyway.

[Winter Magic +2] to turn the thunderstorm into a snowstorm.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Merchant District

For a few seconds, Riley was more impressed with the beauty of the snow storm than the power of her magic. She'd remember to share this moment with her friends.

The disarray caused by the snow storm worked to Riley's advantage. She started tailing marks, pretending to be enjoying the snow. But she was looking to steal from someone she thought she could justify to the Fairy: someone rude or mean to children, some who went for the more expensive merchandise.

As she looked for a suitable target, Riley already had the plan in her head. First, Riley will wait for the mark to walk somewhere busy. Second, she'll throw a couple snowballs at nearby kids to get them to chase her. Third, she'll lead the kids towards the mark. As she's running towards the mark, she'll flash freeze the ground beneath them from fresh snow to slick ice, causing them to slip. Last and most important step, she'll make the lift on the go, crossing across and over the fallen mark while the pursuing kids masked her getaway. If all goes well, she'll be back in her hideout with a bag of something valuable.

Executing Riley's snatch-and-grab with [Sneaky +2] and [Winter Magic +2]

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Merchant District

What a score! With a take that large, Riley could bankroll her own gang instead of falling in with one. She made a hiding spot to stash most the coins, taking only some copper and silver in hand with one platinum coin for an emergency. She went to different markets in the merchant district, buying heavy blankets and bulk foods like hardtack, salted meat, and dried fruit and hauling them back to her hideout. After spending most of the day getting the hideout ready, Riley went to bed to enter Mindy's dream. Riley wanted to make sure her beleaguered friend was doing all right.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Mindy's Nightmare

Riley stepped into her facsimile in Mindy's nightmare. "Leave. Us. ALONE!" she yelled at the top of her lungs, and the nightmare world froze in ice except for Riley and Mindy, who Riley protected from the cold.

Riley walked up to the frozen bogeyman who had its hands on Mindy. Riley screamed in its face until the bogeyman shattered into a million shards of ice. She turned around and hugged Mindy tightly. "It's okay! This is a nightmare. Nothing can hurt us here. Ever."

Riley pulled away from the hug to hold Mindy by the shoulders and look into one another's face. "I'm so sorry I got you in trouble with your family. It's not your fault. But I'm okay for now. I found a bed and lots of food. Are you okay? Do you remember what it was like before you went to bed?"

If I need to roll, ][Dream Weaver +4] to take over Mindy's nightmare.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Mindy's Nightmare

Couple of days? Riley lost track of how much time she spent dreaming. That's wasn't unusual for her, though.

"I'm safe enough. Warm enough, too. Please don't be sorry. You're the nicest person I've met here. Do you like the snow? I brought it from home."

Riley stayed with Mindy until it was time for the Granby child to wake up. Riley spent the time together making the two of them laugh and forget about their worries for a while. But when Mindy woke up, Riley put her ice-cold expression back on and walked to the edge between her dreamscape and the darkness.

"Who are you?" she asked the void. "I'm not here to make enemies. Do you want something from me or Mindy? She's just a normal kid; so what do you want from me?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Riley's Hideout

Riley did not get up. She looked at the stranger's clothes. Authority figure. Clergy. Not fond of the snow?

"Yes," she answered truthfully. "Something I can do for you?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Riley's Hideout

Riley made no sudden moves as she rose to her feet, but neither did she shrink away under the inquisitor's red-eyed glare.

"You didn't have to give me a choice, so thanks, I want to trust you," she said, which was at least half-true, rounded up. "So honesty you can have for free. Yep, the snow is mine. Do you like it? I blew it into the sky after my fairy godmother showed me how. That's not a joke; that's the truth."

Riley picked up a wheel of cheese she kept nearby as a midnight snack. She broke off a piece and offered it to the inquisitor in cheeky hospitality.

"Any more questions? I'm not great at keeping secrets. Ask my friends. But you want me to follow you? Well, okay. I suppose bad men don't sneak up on little girls to let them choose if they want to come with or not. But maybe you can help me out first, buy yourself some goodwill while you're at it. I think if you make a donation in my name to the next group of street kids we meet on the way to wherever, I'd have no reason not to trust you anymore. I think a gift of all your platinum and gold coins would cheer everyone up, please. Unless your pocket's tight, too. It's okay. We street kids understand."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Fortress of No Return

On the way to the fortress, Riley didn't stray far from the inquisitor. She stayed close to pepper him with questions.

"What's your name?"
"Where are you from?"
"Do you have any kids?"
"How old are you?"
"What games do you like to play?"
"Do you like candy?"
"How long have you been doing this job?"
"What did you dream last night?"

It wasn't important if the inquisitor responded or stayed silent or told her to shut up. Short of a beating, she was going to persist.

When they arrived at the fortress, Riley frowned at the name. "Um, I think you'd get a lot more people to follow you willingly if you didn't call it that. Maybe you can call it Princess Castle or Fort Welcome. I don't think you should emphasize the no-return part."

But when she was called a 'guest', Riley wasn't offended. 'Guest' wasn't as good as plain guest, but it was significantly better than prisoner. She went willingly into her upscale jail cell, which was more comfortable than the last cell she had. Moments after the inquisitor left her, Riley went to the door with a snack from her food tray. She sat down and sounded for the guard's attention and began peppering him with questions.

"What's your name?"
"Where are you from?"
"Do you have any kids?"
"..."

That night, when it came time to sleep, Riley attempted to go back into the dreamworld in search of clues about the darkness that haunted Mindy's nightmare.

Dream Weaver [+4] to investigate who or what Riley has made an enemy of.

Caufman fucked around with this message at Sep 2, 2017 around 08:40

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Dreaming in the Fortress of No Return

Realizing her grave mistake, Riley said nothing and backed out of the nightmare realm in guarded retreat. She fled all the way back to Overgrown Park, where it was snowing now. She ran inside the dilapidated cabin to retrieve a weathered teddy bear.

"Teddy bear, please protect me," she said in a half-whisper, half-chant as she hugged the stuffed bear tightly. "Please be my Great Winter Bear. You're beastly but you're cuddly. You're wild but you're motherly. Please guard me when I sleep."

Using my last dreaming moments to attempt to summon a dire polar bear as a dream guardian. Dream Weaver [+4] and Winter Magic[+2]

Caufman fucked around with this message at Sep 4, 2017 around 04:43

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - The Fortress of No Return

Riley checked the spot where the nightmare bit her. No wound appeared, but there lingered a phantom pain. She did not know what to say to the guard, so she just looked back at him. However long it took her to crawl into the nightmare world and back, Inquisitor Blaylock had not retrieved her. For now, Riley was not eager to get back to the street, so she waited quietly in bed, too anxious of drift back asleep.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley sat attentively before Inquisitor Blaylock, mindful of her posture in a way she wasn't accustomed to doing.
"Please state your name, for the record."

"Riley," Riley responded. She'd never given a name for a record before.

"How did you come to Slate-Iron City? What is your purpose here?"

"I didn't come here by choice," she answered truthfully. "I was teleported here, and I don't know how or by who, really. I want to go home to my friends. They're not near here- I think I was brought from another world."

"By what means did you alter the storm? Can you describe how your magic works? How was it taught to you? How do you cast it?"

"Um." Riley struggled to find words to describe her winter magic. She decided on a practical demonstration. "I don't know how to describe it, but it works like this." She rubbed her hands together like she did to generate the cold for the storm. She blew the coldness towards Inquisitor Blaylock. The force of it was many levels of magnitudes gentler than the snow storm, more like a sudden blast from a powerful air conditioner.

"You mentioned a Fairy Godmother. Who is she? How do you contact her? Is she plotting against Slate-Iron City, the Church, or the Council?"

"Um." Riley struggled again to find words. "I don't know much about her, except that I met her in a dream. I was pleading for help, and she came. That was... several days ago, I think. I haven't seen her in my dreams since. She didn't say anything about a plot. She said there were nice people here, but that I haven't been polite to them. She told me to mind my manners. She said she could help me if I asked nicely. When I woke up, I could make things cold."

"Are you plotting against the city, the Church of Darkness, or the Council of Six?"

"No," she answered honestly again. "I mean, this isn't the nicest city I've been in, I have to be honest. But I don't have any plans except to leave. I'm just a stranded, accidental traveler. I don't know about any church or council. But you've been square with me, so it can't be that bad." She ended with a shrug.

"Please demonstrate your ability, if you can, by casting into each of these jars the same enchantment you used to change the storm."

Riley nodded. This was what the Inquisitor wanted to see, after all. She tried something different with the two jars. The first one she picked up and kissed. The second one she just concentrated on freezing without touching or gesturing. When she was finished with the jars, she looked at the inquisitor with a plain face.

"I've tried to answer all your questions the best I can. Please answer just this one for me: am I going to be okay here?"

Using Winter Magic [+2] to demonstrate Riley's abilities.

Caufman fucked around with this message at Sep 8, 2017 around 02:12

Caufman
May 7, 2007

"Uncertain."

It wasn't the answer she wanted, but it was not totally unexpected, either. Grown-ups, after all She half frowned but half nodded to Inquisitor Blaylock at the same time. But this inquisitor admitted to acting differently from his peers

"Were it anyone other than myself interviewing you right now I imagine things would not be this pleasant.""

"What makes you special, Inquisitor Blaylock?" Riley asked, for once interested in someone who wasn't a kid. "Why did you choose to be different from the rest of the inquisitors?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

"You know, she kinda said the same thing. Hope she's right."

After a second, she remembered to add, "Thanks."

• Locked thread
«3 »