Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Holding Pen

Host/Thomas surveyed the gathering crowd. With so many, so exposed, there was little Silth was willing to do. Fighting would not be the correct course of action. Instead, Silth would attempt to bargain.

"You know what, Ogre?" Host/Thomas said, "You're absolutely right. I've got a lot comin'. And it can go down right here, right now," he said, turning as he spoke to address those gathered before returning to Ogre, "or you give me the chance to break us out of here, and then I'll take whatever you've got. gently caress these fucks. You want out. I want out. Let's settle this on the outside."

Using a bit of Guile [+2] to convince the prisoners to not maim or mutilate me.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Thomas seems completely oblivious to the insult delivered by Nelson spitting on him. He turns when the Serpent Guard stomp into the pen, holding up his hands in a non-threatening gesture. His arms flex and twitch ever so slightly as tentacles slip between muscles, slide over bone.

"Nothing is going on here. Just a friendly chat," says Host/Thomas. And then that inhuman scream, and the sudden commotion on the block. The Serpent-Men were distracted. The prisoners in the pen outnumbered them. He would likely not get a better chance. Hopefully they had even half the will to escape that it had.

As if all of his muscles flexed at once, Host/Thomas threw himself at the Snake-Captain, spines suddenly stabbing out from his palms and fore-arms, blood trickling. He was going for the throat. "Now! We won't get another chance! Fight or die!"

Attacking once the guards are distracted by Patak's [+2]. Using Host/Thomas' own combat ability via The Gleaning [+2] and the venomous spines the Parasite [+2] now has protruding from the Host's arms and hands. Going for the throat, paralyzing whoever I can.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 3, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Thomas staggered backward from the hit, before turning to square off against Nelson. Huge. Perhaps useful. But he likely did not know the location of the Silth Stone. Thomas did. Thomas was necessary, for now. In a rather uncharacteristic move, Silth loses its patience for the huge... human-thing. Ogre. Whatever he called himself.

"Thomas is dead," said Host/Thomas, paradoxically. "I do not have time for this."

Host/Thomas suddenly shoved one of the other prisoners at Nelson, turning to take off down the corridor at a dead sprint. Host/Thomas' may become winded, but Silth would maintain the pace. There would be no stopping until it reached the Room of Lamentful Answers.

Run away! Using Host/Thomas' knowledge of the facility via The Gleaning [+2] and the burst of tireless speed provided by the Parasite [+2] to sprint to where the artifacts are kept/Room of Lamentful Answers, using Guile [+2] to hopefully give Nelson the slip along the way. Silth ain't got time for a grudge match against a dead dude.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Room of Lamentful Answers

Chaos. Insanity. One thing at a time.

Host/Thomas turned to the guard closest him, fearful. He moved toward him.

"Slake! It's me, Thomas! Don't you recognize me? You gotta help me! I need a knife, Slake, or we're both dead!"

It didn't matter to Silth if Slake handed Host/Thomas a weapon or if he merely hesitated at the sight of a 'friendly' face; it would push that blade into Slake's throat as soon as Host/Thomas got close enough to lay his hands on it.

Using Host/Thomas' familiarity with the guards via The Gleaning [+2] and a bit of Guile [+2] to get close enough to a guard to grab a weapon and slit his throat.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 6, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Room of Lamentful Answers

Chaos. Insanity. One thing done, now to another.

Host/Thomas pulled the knife from Slake the Pigman's throat, letting his body fall the floor. Silth disregards it immediately, and Host/Thomas turns instead to regard the pile of relics now sitting on the floor. The Silth Stone must be there somewhere, surely. But where? Perhaps that corner is a likely hiding place...

Host/Thomas promptly knelt down before the relics, and began to pick through them in what Silth hoped was the likeliest spot.

Searching for The Stone. Silth uses a bit of Guile [+2] to hopefully narrow the search to a more likely spot in the pile of junk now sitting on the floor.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Room of Lamentful Answers--->Gettin' The gently caress Out

Chaos. Insanity. One last thing.

Host/Thomas clutched the stone to his chest like some precious thing, glowing blue in the harsh red light, and then promptly shoved it into his mouth. Silth swallowed it as it always did, to keep it close. To keep it safe; this last bit of home.

Cluching the dagger he had taken from Slake, Host/Thomas stood and bolted as fast as his legs could carry him. He would stop for no-one, nothing.

Fleeing the facility using Host/Thomas' knowledge of the escape route. Run away!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 7, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax--->North

Host/Thomas took a moment to observe the blazing structure as it burned from within, and allow the raging fire to speak to him on an emotional level he probably wasn't equipped to understand at the time.

Silth also took a moment to observe those who had escaped with it. They were in the same predicament it was, and would be of no use in returning to Silth. Furthmore, they were, to a one, humans. Some small, some large, and some ugly, but all human. Well, except the one made of rock. But it was made in the likeness of the human form, and thus likely a human creation. Silth would find no allies here.

The moment having passed, Host/Thomas turned and surveyed each direction in turn. Having no knowledge of this city, Silth chose a direction at random and began to walk. It would need to find a different way home.

Heading North. No roll, just looking to see what can be seen. Keeping an eye out for new hosts in particular.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 11, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Heading North---->Sewers

Host/Thomas stared up at the disk riders as they passed, brazenly, in ignorance. Silth wondered what and who they were. A variety of human called 'dark elf', so far as Thomas knew. But this told Silth little. Could they be cornered? Were they immune to its venom? What was this 'magic' they wielded? It could not say, and Thomas did not know. But it would find out.

Silth was broken from its own thoughts by the tiny reptilian creature calling to Host/Thomas. The host turned and regarded him for a moment. Silth would not risk accompanying any guards in this land until it knew precisely what threat it would face in their custody. Besides, the little reptile creature seemed far easier to overpower, should it become necessary.

Host/Thomas quickly followed the tiny Kobold. He would have information, even if Silth could not glean it directly.

Silth has decided that it will be Following the Kobold. He's lucky he's too drat small to make for a good host.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 12, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Sewers

Host/Thomas hesitated for a beat, then gripped the lever and pulled. What the lever was for did not ultimately matter to Silth, and so it saw no reason to refuse the request. It would not bargain or extort, as humans did.

Silth still had questions, however. It would not be kept in the dark indefinitely.

"Where am I? Who are the disk riders? Who governs this city? And what can you tell me of Inter-dimensional Travel?"

Silth will Pull the lever. Silth will engage all the host's muscles and then some for a bit of Parasitic [+2] strength, if a roll is required.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 14, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The fresh, clean water reminded Silth that its host was filthy. Acceptable for blending among the sewer-dwellers, but a hindrance on the street above. For a brief moment, it remembered the cool waters of its homeworld. But such things were not to be.

"Yes, I hit my head meats. I have no knowledge of this city," Host/Thomas replies. "Who would have the answers to my questions? Can you tell me how to find them?" He pauses a moment. "Also, is there somewhere I can clean up?"

Time to find someone who's brain I can pick. :v:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Thomas ahh'd. Books! It knew what books were. And the book keepers would no doubt contain useful knowledge themselves.

But first, cleaning up. Host/Thomas would likely not get far reeking and covered in filth. So Host/Thomas cleaned up, as best he could with what limited resources he had. Better than being caked in grime, at least, for passing unnoticed.

"Directions will do fine, thank you. Risking yourself is unnecessary."

Washing up, getting directions from the kobold, and heading that way. To the Library!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Bookstore

Host/Thomas surveys the store briefly before approaching the front desk and the clerk behind it. If he did not already have the man's attention, he politely clears his throat before speaking.

"Excuse me, please pardon my appearance, but are you the owner of this bookstore? I need to speak to the owner. Can you direct me to him?"

I Demand To See The Manager.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 20, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Bookstore

Host/Thomas nodded amicably. "Yes, I do, thank you. I would appreciate anything you can recommend on modern history. The history of Slate-Iron specifically, but a more broad account is also fine."

Books in hand, Host/Thomas chose somewhere comfortable to sit down, leisurely reading (or pretending to read) through this world's modern history. But all the while, Silth kept an eye on the number of patrons in the shop, and on Alfie. The skin of Host/Thomas' arm flexed and bulged a little as a tentacle slide beneath the flesh into position.

Soon, eventually, it would be closing time, and Host/Thomas would be alone with the friendly shopkeep. He would extend a hand to bid the man farewell, and... well. There would be a parting of ways, so to speak. Very soon.

Silth is waiting until it is closing time and it is alone with Alfie. Once alone with Alfie, Host/Thomas offers a handshake to Alfie to say goodbye, but it is a ruse (Guile [+2])! The Parasite [+2] has positioned a venomous spine under the skin of Host/Thomas palm, ready to sting Alfie when he goes for the handshake. Success means Silth pulls Alfie in and locks lips for the 'goodnight' kiss, transferring from Thomas to Alfie via mouth.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Alfie - Bookstore

Host/Alfie flexed his muscles, or what passed as muscles, and craned his neck to the side to pop a joint. Getting comfortable in a new body always took a moment. The old meat had lost its usefulness; this host knew far more, and had the capacity to know how to know more. Which would be useful for Silth; it had much to know before it could plan its next moves.

But first things first; Host/Alfie locked up the shop, closed for business now if it hadn't been already. It wouldn't do for any patrons to wander in while he was taking out the trash. Once that precaution was taken care of, Host/Alfie hooked his arms underneath Thomas', and dragged the corpse to the alleyway door. While vagrants weren't uncommon in this part of the city, it wouldn't do to have a dead one appear behind his shop. No, best someone else take the heat for the body of some nobody turning up in the trash...

Silth will dispose of Thomas' corpse behind someone else's shop in the alleyway, using The Gleaning [+2] to know the best shop to dump it behind and the best time to do it, and Parasitic [+2] to lend some extra strength to its host body to speed up the corpse-dragging. The less time spent with it, the better.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 24, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Alfie - Bookstore

Host/Alfie looked both ways before closing the alleyway door behind him, locking it tight. No more interruptions. And speaking of interruptions, the sudden interjections of the memory-engram disgruntled Silth. Such things should not be possible, and it took satisfaction in silencing the engram. It had no desire to listen to the inane prattle of a semi-aware human mind.

Instead, Silth turned its attention to its current situation; Slate-Iron City. Host/Alfie's knowledge of the place was impressive, but inadequate for Silth's purposes. If Silth was ever going to escape, or, failing that, tear down this strange human society, it would need to understand every facet of its workings. And it couldn't simply rely on Host/Alfie's understanding of it all. It would need to study the world for itself.

The business would distract from its research, but luckily no one would think twice to see Good Ol' Alfie sitting behind his desk, pouring over books in between customers...

Silth is researching Slate-Iron City and the world it sits in. Using The Gleaning [+2] to tap Alfie's knowledge and scholarly ability, and Guile [+2] to see things or make connections a human might miss.

Silth will also (obviously) maintain the identity of Alfie during this time, including his business.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Alfie - Bookstore ---> Church?

Host/Alfie idly ate a piece of fruit, or whatever passed for fruit in this place, while he paged through a book. Human bodies were so particular about the nutrition necessary to maintain them.

According to its research, and the information gleaned from its host, the true nature of the world and whatever lay outside of this city was kept hidden from the general populace. But dark, secret Libraries existed; one in the Tower, the other in some sort of Church. Ordinary citizens were likely not permitted to wander the Tower, so that avenue was blocked for the time being. But the Church... there a human might go and sit and not warrant a second glance. If he were lucky. And this Crystal; some sort of power source? Silth still wrestled with the human's concept of magic, but it seemed identical to the concept of technology. Or close enough. The Crystal, too, might hold opportunity.

Host/Alfie finished his fruit, disposing of the core. He would have to close the shop for a day, or find time after hours. Either way; he was going to church.

Silth will perform reconnaissance at Church while appearing as a layperson. The Gleaning [+2] to know where to go and what to say to appear a believer, true of Alfie or not, while Guile [+2] is used to spot both potential threats and potential targets.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Alfie - Minor Church of Darkness

Host/Alfie played the part of the reverent and respectful layperson. He observed the forms, said the prayers, called and responded. He was every bit the proper and expected worshiper come to seek comfort in the Church of Darkness for whatever troubled him. And there he stayed. Kneeling. Praying. Being as respectful as custom and tradition demanded. And he watched, too. Watched the priests come and go, watched the masses come and go. He had nowhere to be, and his shop would survive being closed for however much time was necessary. And every now and then he left at the end of mass to 'stretch his legs' and watch the comings and goings of the novice priests. Surely they went somewhere other than to church...

Silth was patient. It could wait. And watch. And plot.

Silth is going to hang around the church for a while, watch the coming and goings of the priests, watch the exits, watch the number of people etc. Of particular interest is if a priest ever goes anywhere except the cathedral and the barracks. Silth is looking for opportunities to isolate a priest that don't involve a waiting public to barge in on them. Using Guile [+2] and The Gleaning [+2] to spot opportunity.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Alfie - Minor Church of Darkness

Host/Alfie hummed and drummed his fingers. Perfect; precisely what he had been hoping to find. Substance addiction was useful opportunity. Though it always left a distinctly unpleasant aftertaste in Silth's mouth.

Host/Alfie madue sure to situate himself near that side door as mass drew to a close. There he would wait, reverent and devout, while the Priest made his way outside to get his fix. Once his back was turned, and he was in the alleyway, Silth would follow swiftly behind and claim its new prize. Soon, very soon now. Mass was ending. The priest was coming. It would be quick, simple. A barb in the shoulder while his back is turned, spin him around and embrace to muffle any cry and claim the body for its own. If anyone caught a glimpse, it would seem a rather forward and unwelcome assault on personal space.

Following him outside and taking the Priest. Using Guile [+2] to ambush him from behind while he's distracted with his nose candy and Parasitic [+2] to paralyze and restrain him while Silth administers the kiss of death.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Priest - Minor Church of Darkness

Host/Priest almost casually shoved the corpse of Alfie into a nearby garbage pile, letting the frail, almost wispy body slump into the refuse. He tidied himself up, sniffled as he wiped his nose. He had a 'cold', after all.

Turning, Host/Priest re-entered the Church, making all the usual and necessary gestures and platitudes to any colleagues who might glare. Though Silth was ever alert for signs that they, too, could somehow see beyond flesh and into the substance lurking beneath. Or had the drug granted the mind a momentary insight into the nature of things? The Host/Priest's mind was sure to contain the answers, or at least, likely explanations.

Silth felt the Stone roll in its gullet, took something akin to comfort in the feeling of its presence. If it became necessary, if these Priests could somehow divine its nature, Silth was wholly prepared to kill every last witness in this cathedral. It could not afford discovery. The engram's memories would decide what happened next...

Silth is returning to mass and blending into the Priest's identity; performing mass, duties, etc. But during those moments where his mind could wander, Silth is using The Gleaning [+2] to do some internal 'self'-reflection on the meaning of the Priest's words. Drug? Prescience? Ability? Silth Must Know.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Jeb - Minor Church of Darkness

Silth was... alarmed, to say the least. What was all this? These were not Silth; it was all wrong. Whatever they were, Silth could spare them no thought for the present. When it became necessary to determine the truth of them, then Silth would cross that bridge. Until such time, Silth had other matters to focus its attention on.

As Host/Preist, who had called himself "Jeb", sat in Mass, Silth was digging into the engram of the human that was Jeb. It had questions that needed answering:

What was the hierarchy of this Church? Who were his superiors, and who were their superiors? Silth needed targets, ever higher rungs on the ladder it was climbing.

What about this Holy Book? Could he access it? Who could? What did it contain?

The presence of furnaces was always forefront in Silth's mind. Did this Church contain any hot enough to consume a body? And speaking of fire, was the Priest Barracks flammable? Torching it may be useful in drawing out desired targets while eliminating evidence.

Did this lowly Priest have any understanding or personal knowledge of the Dark Cardinal? His whereabouts, his power, his nature?

If Silth could claim the Cardinal, it could have unfettered access to the Dark Crystal, the Dark Library, and a host of resources it might use against the City and the Six. If this Council were anything like any other Human power structure, Silth suspected there was already a clandestine struggle for control being fought. Fear of consequences and a desire to maintain their positions would likely restrict the lengths to which each might go, but Silth had no such restraints or qualms.

And in the midst of all this thought, Host/Jeb played his part, slid into his familiar role. Blending was vital; appearances were everything.

Let's Review. Silth is digging into the host's knowledge using The Gleaning [+2] for memory and Guile [+2] to make connections between independent data points that Jeb himself might not have noticed in life.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth was took note of what he could wring from the engram. Useful information. Silth decided that it would need to very slowly ween this body off its addiction; there was no telling what a sudden lack of skooma would do to it. Death, likely.

Host/Jeb sighed as Silth quietly returned its attention outward instead of inward. Host/Jeb had many duties to perform, and the responsibilities of performing Mass when required. He would have to find an opportunity to request access to the Holy Book from his superior. He had some soul-searching to do, and where better to find the strength to pull one's life together than religion?

Living Host/Jeb's life for the time being. Host/Jeb will ask his boss to access the Holy Book, The Gleaning [+2] to know how to go about this properly and respectfully.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Jeb took the sealed note reverently, adding a touch of an emotional trembling to his hands. "The Dark Crystal be praised," he replied, inflecting just a hint of reverential gratefulness. The voice of a man struggling back toward the light. Or dark, in this case. With a respectful nod, he excused himself from the senior Priest's presence.

Silth idly mused on what giving a sermon might entail, and if that, too, could serve its aims.

Host/Jeb, in any case, made his way to where ever it was that Inquisitor Blaylock might be found. He had no reason to delay delivery of the sealed letter, and every reason to hurry. Perhaps the Inquisitor would make for a more suitable host? Silth would get what it wanted; one way, or another.

Delivering the letter to Inquisitor Blaylock, using The Gleaning [+2] to observe the proper forms if required.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Jeb - Fortress of No Return

Host/Jeb stiffened a little as the Inquisitor leaned in, sniffing. Slowly, deliberately, for the Inquisitor's benefit, he removed a small vial of skooma that he had kept on his person. He held it out to the Inquisitor, visibly nervous but clearly steeling himself; the shaky confidence of a struggling man. Silth was only mildly concerned. The Inquisitor may have some sort of supernatural sense or power, but clearly it did not tell him much.

"My superiors already know about my... addiction. I'm working through it."

He still clutched the Wax-Sealed Letter in his other hand.

'Confessing' to Skooma Addiction, in a manner of speaking. Using The Gleaning [+2] to draw on Jeb's addiction and experiences with it.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 12, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Jeb - Fortress of No Return

Host/Jeb extend the hand containing the letter, placing it in the Inquisitor's hand. But he also reaches out, clasping the Inquisitor's hand in his own two and getting down on one knee in a formal gesture of respect and gratitude. The sleeves of his Priest's robe hiding the slight twitch as tendrils slipped down into his arms.

"I thank you for this opportunity, sir."

I give him both, but the death won't be swift. Snatching the Inquisitor. Using The Gleaning [+2], to play the struggling Priest being granted what he assumes is another chance that allows him to get close, and Parasitic [+2], for strength and paralyzing venom, to give the Kiss of Death to the Inquisitor.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - Fortress of No Return

Host/Blaylock redressed casually, and then looked down at the letter still clutched in his hand. He turned it over once, wax seal unbroken, and stared at it a moment before tossing it unopened into the fireplace. The letter was no longer relevant.

Instead, Host/Blaylock picked up his wineglass, swirling it lazily and taking a sip as he walked to his desk, sitting down behind it. He was a busy man, presumably. He had responsibilities. People who he could delegate to, perhaps. With luck, his position was secure enough that Silth would not need to abandon his body as quickly as the last few hosts. Unless opportunity presented itself, of course.

Setting the wine glass on the table, Host/Blaylock began to rifle through his own drawers and files, examining the papers and contents of his desk. This was as good a place to start as any.

Let's look through some papers. Of particular interest are current assignments/cases/duties, subordinates, and assets Silth might consider advantageous. The Gleaning [+2] to know where to look and ignore the irrelevant busywork Silth would not find useful.

Also would like a brief rundown of Host/Blaylock's authority, rank, and abilities. Basically, what can he do as an Inquisitor?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Blaylock shuffled the papers. He made a note to delegate what could reasonably be delegated, and with a twinge of annoyance, knew that he would likely need to keep up his 'appointments' or else draw uncomfortable questions. For now, at least.

Putting on his coat and hat, Host/Blaylock left his office, greeting appropriately (or not) those he passed. First things first; the vault needed a looking-over.

Stepping outside, Host/Blaylock glanced upward, and then around. Silth did not know how many days it had been since it has seen rain. Perhaps, once Host/Blaylock was out of sight, it could fix that.

Going to the Vault. Using the Silth Stone [+2] (finally) once out of sight to call up a thunderstorm to enjoy while he walks.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Blaylock regarded the men for a moment, then glanced up at the sky, as if thinking on it. After this pause, he nods. "I am. With me, then."

Proceeding to the Vault.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Blaylock regarded the snow silently. That was peculiar. Had an enemy of the city done this, as the guard suggested? Or had one of the other relics performed this feat? Silth did not know. In any case, it wasn't a priority at the moment. Host/Blaylock hurried inside to escape the cold.

Proceeding into the Vault.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - The Vault Interior

Host/Blaylock nodded to the soldiers as they warmed themselves in the interior. Gazing down into the rows upon rows of shelves, and thinking quickly, he begins descends down to begin his search.

Using The Gleaning [+2] and a bit of Guile [+2] to browse the vault for a few specific kind of items Silth wants;

Must-Haves: Objects or containers intended to contain or hold magical effects. Like a bottle or a crystal you could put a Fireball in and it holds the fireball until released or broken.

Could-Use: Magical Generators; things that produce magical energy or raw magic power. Either via siphoning or just spontaneous generation. Something low-maintenance, ideally.

Would-Be-Nice: Things Silth would recognize either in form or function from back when it was still in its own universe; guns, lasers, bombs, or other weird poo poo.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 27, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Satisfied with his find, Host/Blaylock collects the bottles and, by inserting his inquisitor ring into the slot in the case, the scepter, and proceeds back to the entrance. He stops by the barracks to check on his escorts. "Wait here. I'm going to check the status of the storm, determine if it's safe. If all's well, I'll come get you and then we'll leave. Otherwise we'll wait it out."

Setting the box of items on a table under watch of his escorts, Host/Blaylock heads to the entrance of the vault, peering out to see what could be seen.

Heading up to the entrance to check on what's going on with the snowstorm, but also using the Silth Stone [+2] to understand the nature of the storm itself; how it had been changed and by what method.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 29, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Blaylock narrows his eyes briefly in contemplation. This was, perhaps, worth investigating. It could accelerate his plans greatly.

Returning to the barracks, he retrieves his box of items, and addresses his escorts. "The storm continues, but it is no worse than before. We will head back to the city, and I will investigate the cause of this sudden unseasonal storm. Get your gear back on and get one last drink, we head out once you are prepared."

Once the guards were ready, they and Host/Blaylock headed out into the snowy landscape. Host/Blaylock had a slight detour to make, dropping off his prizes, before pursuing the culprit of this winter enchantment. But pursue he would; Silth, too, was curious.

Securing the Artifacts in Blaylock's office before heading out to Trace the Enchantment using the Silth Stone [+2] if necessary. I am taking a single Spell Bottle with me.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - The Business District

Host/Blaylock stalked the streets like a hound on the scent, though Silth suspected this was not an unusual look for an Inquisitor. Host/Blaylock eventually came to the Business District, and stared skyward for a moment before casting his gaze around to the cluster of buildings. One of these? Was the caster skulking in darkness, or had they instead opted to blend into a crowd? Mm, well. Easier first to check the shadows before he began interviewing taverngoers and passersby.

Investigating the authority-shuttered shop first.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 30, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - Riley's Hideout

Inquisitor Host/Blaylock stared down at the stirring child, his face impassive. Silth recognized her. The Prison. Her race alone undoubtedly marking her as Outsider, even without the echos of certainty. She had cast the Winter Magic; there could be no doubt of this.

He stood there passively a moment, waiting until her eyes had opened, until he knew she had seen him. His right hand then moved casually, but deliberately, to grip the sword sheath on his right hip, angling the hilt slightly downward, toward her, as his hand rested there. A silent message, both threat and warning; 'no sudden moves'. Of course, Silth had no intention of using the sword if the girl tried anything. An unknown threat like hers would be answered with lightning, if it came to it. Better safe than sorry.

At last, Inquisitor Host/Blaylock spoke. "Riley," he said. A statement, not a question.

A dialogue maybe.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 1, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - Riley's Hideout

Inquisitor Host/Blaylock watched Riley, his red eyes piercing her. There was no emotion on his face.

"You changed the rain into snow," he stated. "The means by which you did this; unknown. Possibly heretical. I have questions to which you might hold answer. I offer three ways out of this," his left hand raised slowly to display three fingers.

"One," he said, holding up one finger with his left hand, "you cooperate and come willingly. I promise you a warm bed, clothing, and three hot meals a day. I interview you and you answer questions honestly. Further cooperation offers the potential of further compensation."

"Two," he said, holding up a second finger, "you resist and I take you by force. You sit in a cell with no guarantee of bed, meals, or adequate clothing. You are interrogated until you consent to answer questions to our satisfaction. After which, you will be sentenced."

"Three," he said, holding up a third finger, "you resist and escape into the city. You become a wanted criminal, accused of heresy, and I bring the full might of my resources against you. Rewards will be offered for your capture. You live the life of a hunted man."

He lowered his left hand, and hooked the thumb of it into his belt. "Think on this, and decide."

Come with me, and you'll be, in a wooorld of pure imagination~

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 2, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - Riley's Hideout ---> Fortress of No Return

Inquisitor Host/Blaylock merely raised an eyebrow when fairy godmothers were mentioned, but he did not appear to think it was a joke. "I prefer rain," was his reply. He gave a small shake of his head when offered the cheese.

"I will save further questions for a later interview. We will have much to cover. And yes, I need you to follow me. Just ahead of me, where I can keep an eye. I will direct you. As to your request," he trails off, and with his left hand, reaches down to pull his coinpurse from his belt. He gives it a light shake to demonstrate that it contains coins. He does not seem to bother to count or judge the number or value. "Acceptable," he says without hesitation.

From there, Host/Blaylock directs Riley down the street, away from the Business District and back to the Fortress of No Return. Along the way, at the first opportunity that presents itself, Host/Blaylock catches the attention of a street urchin and rather unexpectedly tosses the whelp the entire bag. "Riley gives her regards," is all that he says.

Once at the Fortress of No Return, Host/Blaylock summons a guard, and gives him instructions; a room near his office is to be prepared. Something comfortable. This child accompanying him will be his 'guest', and the inflection he puts on this word makes it clear that this is merely a euphemism for 'prisoner', for an indeterminate amount of time. He will be personally conducting her interrogation. Anyone who interferes with his investigation will face dire retribution.

On his authority, the room is prepared. Host/Blaylock leads Riley to it; a somewhat sparse if comfortable guest room with bed and bookshelf and chamberpot (probably). He has a tray of food brought for her. "This is where you will be staying for the time being. If you require anything, make a request with the guard outside your door. But do not leave this room. We will discuss this further tomorrow."

With that, he leaves her to get comfortable. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.

Leading Riley to the ominously-named Fortress of No Return. Getting her set up with a comfortable room, a warm bed, and regular meal service in addition to any other minor requests she might have (books, toys, crayons, etc). Guards are to be posted at her door for the time being; she is not allowed to leave. He will be conducting the interviews, this will be his personal project. These are Host/Blaylock's orders. He will not file a report yet, however.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 3, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Inquisitor Host/Blaylock tells Riley only his name ("Inquisitor Blaylock") before leaving her to her room.

Back in his office, Host/Blaylock pours himself a drink before sitting down in the comfortable chair 'he' had first been sitting in at the beginning. Stage Two of the plan required access to his Dark gifts. It was time to try accessing them, to see if they would still work given his unusual situation.

Using The Gleaning [+2] and Dark Inquisition [+2] to begin experimenting with Inquisitor powers SAFELY (no fireballs). Firstly, turning on Truth Sense.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Inquisitor Host/Blaylock frowns only slightly as Halrn approaches before putting on a slight smirk.

"Come sniffing around to see if you can snatch credit out from under me, Halrn? If you think I'm about to give up my lead, you better think again. You'll find out everything when I file my report, I expect."

Using The Gleaning [+2] and Guile [+2] I guess to navigate this conversation.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Blaylock watched Halrn leave and then frowned. Someone had been watching him, it seemed. Or else the guards were mouthy. Either way, word had gotten around. Silth would need to tread carefully, no doubt.

He went across to his office, locking the door, before approaching Riley's guard. "I'm heading out; I trust you have everything well in-hand. Make sure she stays secure."

With that, Host/Blaylock stalked from the Fortress. He knew he could visit the Dark Crystal at any time. Perhaps the answer to his inability to access the Dark Gifts would be answered there.

Time to rectify my magic impotence; let's go visit the Dark Crystal

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - The Dark Crystal Chamber

Host/Blaylock stared up at the crystal for a moment. A curious thing. But good that he had free access; he might likely need it in the nebulous future.

Silth then looked inward, browsing the memories and knowledge of Blaylock in order to find what it needed...

Going to try re-attune? myself to the Dark Crystal using knowledge from The Gleaning [+2] and the Dark Inquisition [+2]. Or at least, figure out what needs to be done if it cannot be immediately (safely!) done here and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Blaylock - The Dark Crystal Chamber ---> Fortress of No Return

Host/Blaylock frowned. He then promptly left the chamber, and wondered how his plan would proceed without magic. A different avenue would need to be exploited.

He returned promptly to the Fortress, stalking back down the halls to his office, where he retrieved a second Glass Bottle, ink, and paper. He tucked them all into his coat, before leaving and re-locking his office and moving to where Riley was being held. He nodded to the guard, opening the door and clearing his throat.

"Riley," he said, gesturing to the table where the food sat. He took one side, sitting down and allowing the girl to take her seat when she felt like it. He pulled from his coat his pen, ink, and papers, laying them out neatly and inking the pen.

When she seemed ready, he began the interview/interrogation.

"Please state your name, for the record."

"How did you come to Slate-Iron City? What is your purpose here?"

"By what means did you alter the storm? Can you describe how your magic works? How was it taught to you? How do you cast it?"

"You mentioned a Fairy Godmother. Who is she? How do you contact her? Is she plotting against Slate-Iron City, the Church, or the Council?"

"Are you plotting against the city, the Church of Darkness, or the Council of Six?"

Regardless of what or how she answers, Host/Blaylock dutifully and accurately transcribes both his own questions and the responses she gives.

Eventually, he pulls out a pair of small Glass Bottles of the spell-holding variety. He places them on the table and uncorks both. "Please demonstrate your ability, if you can, by casting into each of these jars the same enchantment you used to change the storm." He gestures helpfully.

An interview.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 8, 2017

• Locked thread