Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: The Dolgar Room
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Well, he had come this far, let's see what was behind door #1. Opening it very, very carefully to avoid untoward noise, he peers inside and prepares to head in.

Dun dun DUUUUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Anti-climatic, but not in a good or bad way, this just meant the threat had a different shape than expected. "Good early-morning to you sir, Mr. Dolgar? I was hoping we could speak. I'm performing something of an audit and I was hoping we could discuss the finances of the realm. Non-lethally, if at all possible..."

I know I'm stretching this to the breaking point but using [Full Frontal Liberty+4]'s speech component to attempt to engage this probable-cosmic-horror in polite banter about its job.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. "A deal sir? I must admit its fairly unnerving you know my name right away. I presume I'm not dealing with a mortal here."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"Oh of course sir, terribly sorry to have wasted your time. I'll be going now." Amerigo politely bows, and walks backwards out of the door he came in and closes it, bracing himself for an alarm of some sort and makes ready to move for the exit.

Leaving, hopefully quietly

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Well this was quite the pickle. He knew he had nothing that'd stand up in court, his illegal entry aside. Amerigo is at a loss for ideas until he remembers his book.

Hopefully these idiots kept thorough records of their transactions in a place other than the Dolgar's desk. He flips through the pages looking for anything, maybe the location of pig or "pig" purchase transactions and usage, over the time period the old guard captain mentioned.

Stumped. Using the [Tactica Transoceania+2] to try to shuffle through data and try to find where some written info relevant to the case might be located.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 8, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Exiting the Manor
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

He still had no solid evidence, but at least now he had a guide as to what to do next. Now the question was getting the hell out of here in one piece. Amerigo quietly takes the steps back up into the manor proper and starts making his way toward the exit.

Leaving. [Full Frontal Liberty+4] if I need to roll for stealth.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Exiting the Manor
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Amerigo takes the proffered beverage and looks around to make sure they're secluded. "Thank you. Well, unfortunately I have no firm evidence that could condemn the Lord in-of-itself, however I personally encountered a number of circumstantial things that lead to a grim conclusion soon.

"I interviewed the ex-captain of the guard who said the Lord was having trouble paying his taxes until people started disapearing, at which point he was flush with gold.

"In addition, I found these documents mentioning "pigs" for sale to a "Dolgar." The "pigs' are likely a euphemism for the disappeared people. It seems a lot of gold has changed hands in exchange for them. The hiring of people at the manor seems to match up with this pig trade.

"Furthermore, I met this "Dolgar" at the bottom of the manse, next to some holding cells. He seemed...human but there was something terribly wrong about him. He knew things about me he shouldn't have. A mage at the very least.

"Finally, the Lord's birthday is in three nights where it appears a large shipment of these "pigs" will be handed over."

Amerigo pauses and sips his drink. "With this in mind, how do you think we should proceed?"

Laying out the case

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Mayor's Residence
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"But what exactly will I do when I'm there? Even if I stop the transfer, what then?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Mayor's Residence
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"Very well. Do you have access to a priest I can talk to between now and the ball? No no, I'll be discreet. I've got a wand with me that might need a little metaphysical help when dealing with a monster. Well, two of them. Should I return here or pick up the costume and invitation elsewhere?" Amerigo pauses and continues. "I'm sorry about that confusion, I will be get this done, the people of this city deserve better than a lord that treats them as less than cattle."

Sorry for all the questions.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Mayor's Residence>The Beer garden Inn, Grenmalk-City>Priest's address
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"I assume I will meet VFred at the usual place? Other than that, the path is clear; I will be in touch with you when I have something to report." Once the question is answered, Amerigo heads back to the inn, taking a circuitous route to make sure he's not followed, and sleeps, gun on the dresser next to him, before setting out in the morning to find this priest.

Ordinarily he'd dismiss most religion as false grasping at the truth of naturalistic world. Now, he had seen literal magic in action, and would accept any divine help he could get.

Moving forward, lets meet this priest guy.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 18, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Priest's address
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"Hello and good morning, Father. My name is Amerigo. I was hoping you could help me. I'm a caravan guard, and I'm about to head out on an extremely dangerous journey to help some people. You were recommended to me and I beseech for your blessing."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 22, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Priest's address
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Amerigo steps inside. "Thank you, Father. In particular, I was hoping you could bless this wand." Amerigo carefully produces the gun. "It will probably have to take down a terrible evil. Not sure whether the wand itself or its charges should be consecrated. In addition, wards against said evil would be handy. If you have anything that would useful to slipping away during a great ruckus, that would be useful too. Thank you, again, for your help."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Priest's address>Scouting the city
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"Thank you father, this will go a long way toward stopping this thing." Amerigo nods politely and shows himself to the door. He now was better armed than he had been sneaking around the lord's manor. Hopefully I would be enough, he still didn't have an exact plan, only hope that he'd be able to play it by ear and improvise once the time came.

Stepping out into the streets, he wonders how he got into this crazy mess in the first place, but it looks like now he was pretty well committed. He begins scouting out hiding places in case he's followed, or more likely chased after completing his mission. He can't lead them back to the beer garden or the mayor's manor after all.

[Full Frontal Liberty+4] to locate potential safehouses/places to hide after this thing goes down.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus >>Headed to pick up the costume from V-man
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Well it was done then, he had prepared as much as he could reasonably do. Now was the time to do the deed. Amerigo hoped he had stacked the deck as much as he could against a noble in his seat of power backed by some ungodly thing, but there was no chickening out now. He had promised Manfred he'd do this and people's lives were riding on him pulling through.

Let's get this party started.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: The Party
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Amerigo tried to mingle. While not a complete stranger to such events he was never quite at home there. Too many pretentious types vying for attention. Speaking of which, there was the nobility over there, fighting for the spotlight, as usual. There were the goons he'd probably have to be fighting against soon, and over there, oh. My. He's on here on a mission of great importance but decides he's going to get suckered by a pretty face in the mean time.

He sidles up to the merchant delegation and listens in on the conversation and waits for an opening.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Real names might be dangerous here, especially since he was trying to start a coup in a few moments. "Why thank you. Greetings Lady Argo, I'm Jerome of Alvatsia." He was giving a common literal translation of his last name and the Transoceanic island he was raised on, so technically not a lie. "You don't know me, but its a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

"Oh, very far away. I arrived here with that caravan that recently breached the bandit's blockade. I was quite instrumental in that little skirmish, and alas, primarily business my lady," Ordinarily Amerigo wouldn't turn down the come on but he honestly didn't want her to get hurt by the upcoming clusterfuck, "I was actually hoping to get a moment of the Lord's time himself, if he deigns to it. But I certainty can spare a moment." He takes a drink. Hopefully he can make enough of a good impression on her that it will survive the upcoming revolutionary moment. (And presuming both of them survive.)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Well that certainly wasn't ominous or anything. Amerigo began to wonder if this idiot wasn't going to try to feed some or all of the party to the Dolgar. There's a line forming to talk to the guy, but he can't figure out a way to turn this to his advantage. On the other hand, it appears Lady Argo is still interested and it might be for the best to-oh to hell with the justification. He might/probably will die horribly tonight, lets have fun while it lasts. Amerigo would have to move soon after this, but for now, he'll live in the moment.

Dance, but try to keep a peripheral view of what the lord is doing.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

V-Man's comment snaps him back into reality. Funtime was over, it was finally, for the first time since he came here, an opportunity to put a bad man out of business. He takes the woman aside, "Lady Argo, I had a wonderful time, but I must go, and things might get a little crazy in the next few moments, promise me if they do, you can find your security and make haste out of here." He really didn't want any harm to come to her, and civilian casualties were always a threat when inciting a mob, but what else could he do?

Not waiting to explain, Amerigo hurries out a side door. He had been in the building before, and he remembered a way to the balcony above the dance floor. He pushes through the curtain. Alright, nothing for it, it was do or die. Amerigo feels the weight of the Tactica strung against the inside of his outfit. He would use its powers in a moment, but now it was time for old fashioned rabble rousing. He would have to do it quickly, before the Lord's goons overwhelmed him.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF GRENMALK CITY, YOU HAVE BEEN DECEIVED." He pauses waiting for the incredible awkwardness to silence the room. "FOR BEFORE YOU IS A MAN WHO HAS SOLD THE CITY TO A DEMON BELOW THE MANOR, and will sell YOU to its slavering maw! Tell us, oh great Lord, of the Dolgar and your demonic pact of souls for gold!"

Getting the crowd's attention and riling them up with [Full Frontal Liberty+4], next turn, If I can, I'll pop the Tactica with a speech written in it and hopefully get a full blown revolt started.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 11, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Damnation, now it had turned into a name calling contest, suitable for children. Here goes nothing.

"Very well, a lordling, a traitor, a lunatic, and a diabolist walk into a tavern, the bartender serves him a drink." Amerigo quickly glances down at the book, hidden below eyesight of the people below and continues.

"The great bards wrote history occurs first as tragedy, then as farce. When the coffers demanded by Slate-Iron city run dry, what's a lordling to do? Turn to demonic pacts, it seems.

"Ultimately, a person will treat people the way they treat their animals. Still feeding those 'pigs' to the Dolgar, o'lord? Even when they scream, and bed, and plead?" He continues onward, mixing pithy phrases with articles denouncing the lord before turning the guardsmen and reminding them, they they too, get fed to the nightmare downstairs.

Alright, lets counter his mortal quality with a divine one. Amerigo is skimming the [Tactica Transoceania+2] for a combo of the sickest burns and one liners recorded by the bards of the underregions and speed skimming a collection of speeches against noble excess and idiotic governance in general.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Lordling not fit to rule
Thinks he can win this duel
Flabby of bod and comes with a mullet
Feeds his people down a demon's gullet
Slate-Iron City he cannot pay
Then he strayed to the devil's way
Broke of coffer with no gold
His rulership is getting old
His friends disappear like poo poo through a goose,
His bloated neck fit only for a noose.

This is the weirdest conflict he's ever been involved with, but he's going to have to go through with it if he wants to turn the crowd. The alternative is just shooting the guy, but Amerigo was determined to build a case against him first.

I'm not sure what quality applies to freeverse rap battles here. If we're still cribbing off last turn, the [Tactica Transoceania +2] might apply.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Uh-oh, he needed to seize control before this got even uglier. "PEOPLE OF GRENMALK-CITY!" he raised his hands, "We have won a great victory tonight, deposing the tyrant and dispelling the demon, but the task is not done! We must restore order, and our task is to put the traitor on trial, a lynching will simply make him a martyr to foul forces!"

He turns to address the captain and his underlings. "Guards! Take him to the dungeon, and check for any secret walls or doors he may know about. Do not beat him too badly."

Amerigo then speaks to the assorted nobility and merchant classes. "To the rest of you, send your delegates tomorrow at noon, we must discuss the new order of things here in the city, to prevent anything like dark events this from happening again. Please, you have done valiantly here tonight, but we must not give into blood lust and depravity as the traitor has done!"

[Full Frontal Liberty+4] to seize the moment and begin starting up a new government.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: The Council
1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Okay. He needed to see a man about a pig. V-man and the mayor probably counted as underlings at this point. Time to put it to the test.

Amerigo would've wanted to put the lord on trial but having a pig on the stand wasn't likely to engender trust in the competence of the new government. He summons V-fred. "Uh. Can you send this thing to a farm or discretely handle this, or whatever? Don't turn it into food, we don't know if this transformation is contagious. Have the dungeon walled off as well."

He had gotten a decent few hours of sleep the night before, but had spent most of the night outlining his plans for the reformation of the city's leadership. A council system with methods for assigning various duties and perks was drawn up. Undoubtedly factions and whatnot would form, and he needed to make sure the mercs and enforcers just didn't outright seize power.

When they appointed time arrives, he addresses the assembled representatives. "Ladies and Gentlemen of Grenmalk-City, thank you for coming. We have a lot or work ahead of us so let's get down to business. First of all, we must ensure that the recent despotism never happens again and to that end..."

Working with these people to establish a new council based gov't for Grenmalk City. [Tactica Transoceania+2] to pull up relevant documents needed to build a functioning republic.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 1, 2018

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

Well that was quite the trip. After the glowing suffused, Amerigo took to the negotiations with a renewed fervor, hammering over even the smallest of things. He didn't want for a loophole or awkward wording to result in a constitutional crises later down the road.

With the details being sorted, Amerigo turned his attention toward the now ex-mayor. "I understand you've gotten a raw deal, but things escalated quickly. I do not intend for you to be left out in the cold. This new republic will require a civil service and someone at the top who understands how this city operates, someone more permanent and worldly about the day to day affairs than the debates of the council itself. If you're willing, I'd prefer to have you as the chief civil servant, and keep Grenmalk-City going no matter who is in charge."

Regardless of the response, Amerigo sets his sights to reforming the military. After seeing this entire world was the province of monsters and assholes, it behooved him to put together a force together capable of resisting any hostile forces that may arise. His task is twofold, modernize the weapons, and make sure the troops are willing and able to use them in defense of the town. Amerigo's connection to his gun seems to have dimmed, but his raw knowledge of them remained. A simplified, two handed firearm with the petard launcher underneath would lead the way for state of the art military force for the city, and a training program. Most weapons required years to master them, Amerigo had picked up the gun in moments (Albiet with some magical help). With enough of them, he could make a force of trained commoners a force to reckon with even against elite forces.

I'm not making this guy my "priest" or a first or anything but I'm setting him up with a job at least. Taking [Freedom+2] as my divine power not only as a political position but as in a more abstract Freedom From/Freedom To sort of thing. Finishing up the final details on the city and then beginning to design a new firearm that's powerful, easy to use, and cheap to fund. Not sure how much of my old gunsmithing skills remain. If possible doing this under a GUNS AND [FREEDOM+2] motif.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

1 FP, +1 upshift banked.

'The Swine Revolution', good grief. He was hoping for something a little more...highbrow, but oh well, these things tend to take on a name for themselves. More concerning was the fact that huge chunks of the civilian populace were now armed along with the military. This was...not a stable situation. The bandit problem only added to this, and he needed to address it. A standard military, especially one like Grenmalk's which historically had been used to oppress its populace instead of scout for things, was not suited to this new republic. Amerigo didn't want to upset the core of the military, angering the commanders after he had just armed them was a bad, bad, idea, but he needed to know why the bandit population had exploded.

To that end, he put out a call for outriders, wandering loners, younger cavalry officers, and similar. "As you know, we must keep order now that we have overthrown the tyrant, and we cannot let these criminal depredations harm our city. To this end, I'm forming a new military force to combat them. Information is just as important was weapons when it comes to war, and we need to know what lies beyond eyeshot of the city walls. For those of you interested, you have the chance to become part of something new and exciting..."

Using [Freedom+2] to create the Grenmalk Rangers, a wide ranging scouting force specializing in recon and hit & run attacks, and sending them to scout around and try to figure out why the bandits are surging in number. Priority will be for live captures when possible and interrogating them to find out what is going on.

• Locked thread