Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Cell #5

Before anything else the warlord needed to know something about this prison. It seemed alive, it ate, it moved. It might even be breathing. A simple enough test was in order. Patak took up his sharpened rock and struck at his cell door with all his might. He wanted to see if he could make it bleed.

Because if it bleeds he could kill it.

I am using an improvised weapon to try to hurt the wall in an effort to escape. Warlord +6 To use all my strength striking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Cell #5

Patak scooped up a handfuls of gore and endeavored to feed as many of the other doors as possible before the guards converged and glorious battle would be upon them.

"Fellows! Fight if you can, hide if you cannot!"

Just running down the cell block feeding doors, Warlord +6 to defend/dodge the guards best as I can until I must fight.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Cell Corridor

Now that the others were free and apparently holding their own it was Patak's first perogative to gain a light source. His second was to find a weapon. His third was to cut down all who oppose him. If the others left him anything to stab!

"Well done wolfman! Come, we have more who need their blood spilled!"

What it says: Light, Weapon, Fight! Warlord +6

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Cell Corridor

He glared at the Golem for interrupting his kill, but chuckled darkly when he realized the guards were going to starve to death. "Come, Golem, let us get our things and subdue the master of this place. I am sure we all have...questions for him."

He ran at full speed to the interrogation room, this Room of Lamentful Answers. Guards he would slay, but the Master needed to tell the group all he knew.

Then the prisoners would decide his fate.

Going to the room, killin' guards and overpowering biomancers. Warlord +6

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Room of Lamentful Answers

This room was in chaos. The Architect of their capture, their torture, and the theft of their "Relics" was in this room. Only a single guard stood between Patak and his quarry. It seemed based on a slow but powerful creature. Its tusks added to the danger. The...intellectual had a weapon trained on the Master, who was reaching for another trick up his sleeve. In a split second the warlord made his decision.

He would put his axe in the charging guard's head. He knew the Golem would not help. He hoped the intellectual could handle the Master for a moment more.

Can you believe it? The enemy is coming to me!
I will kill the guard. Brutally. Warlord +6

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Room of Lamentful answers

While the others fled Patak noticed the Wolfman's absence. He made sure to secure his banner, strapping it to his back. He also grabbed the sawed off shotgun. He bellowed to the rest. "Escape! Follow the nerd or find your own way! I shall hold the rear!"

He rushed to the sounds of fighting to ensure the wolfman made it out. His steps felt surer, more empowered. He would not suffer any of the master's works or other hostile forces to harry his fellow prisoners. So long as all fled, he would follow behind and cover the rear flank.

Nobody gets left behind! Warlord +6 and War God's Banner+2 to quell hostiles. Team murder caboose hobo army of one.(I escape, but I escape last in case something comes up behind us) WAAAAGGH!!!!

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at Jul 9, 2017 around 22:06

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax

A Fire Elemental! Patak felt the temptation to face the beast, but he had no magics to defend himself from its power, nor did he have a source of water to harm it. He regretfully retreated from the foe, running out to see the others already beginning to scatter.

The dwarves, though! They used their water-cannons with deft skill, fighting back flame and containing the inferno. Patak swung his banner in a salute to them.

War God's Banner+2 to aid the Dwarves fighting the fire. If they can take out the Fire Elemental even better.Apparently the fire elemental is pretty well trapped. At least we know where one is if we need it.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2017 around 21:54

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

The large warrior cleared his throat. "That sounds ominous, friend. This rubble was once a house of horrors where we were taken from beyond this realm, deprived of freedom and our possessions."

He regarded his banner before placing it on his back. "We won our freedom despite the Master of that place's treachary and destruction. Now you stand before me and ask for our trust?"

He rose to his full height and stared the one who spoke in the eye. "What assurances do we have we will be able to leave if we desire, with all we carry with us now?"

Not threatening, but self assured and plain spoken. Warlord +6 to not give an inch, not blink, not back down.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak hated the mage’s tone. He clenched his fists. Patak suspected Law and Justice may not be hand and hand in this place. He gritted his teeth. “You twist my words. You miss my meaning. You threaten instead of command. You cannot tell a scry from a geas....”

Patak gave a glance to the intellectual beside him, catching his eye. He had killed the Master, and that afforded him much respect. What he saw was a similar anger, a glance at the innocents, and the spark of an idea. Patak gave a subtle nod. [We went over that exchange in discord]

“We have committed no crimes here. Our intentions are noble. Our homicide is justified. Where others would flee we stayed to keep the Master’s flaming legacy from spreading. It is a shame that his final act was to destroy the physical evidence of his crimes. It is vile that his cowardly act cost the lives of stalwart defenders of this place.” He raised his fist in a salute to the Fire-Dwarves.

Patak focused on the Mage again and dropped his weapons. “I would go with you to clear my name, but I will accept no irons until final judgement is made. I will surrender these weapons, but my Banner is mine. I pledge on my honor I shall not use it until final judgement is made, and if your court of law should be in error and find me guilty I will surrender it.”

Patak looked to his fellow frantically searching his book.

[I] Going to counter-invoke Justice to gain 1 FP which gives me a +2 to aid in this negotiation of the terms of our surrender if I understand.[/B]

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Black Tower | 1 FP

Patak fell to his knees at the sight of the Dragon. To onlookers it would seem he had an existing veneration for the creatures. In truth Patak had never seen a metallic dragon, for in his home plane they were once champions of law, justice, and order. They were also long dead.

He laid his Banner before him and spoke. "Magus, we have been taken from other worlds against our will. I hope it is evident we are out of place, for we find ourselves strangers in this underground world. To not see the sun, or sky, or clouds. To not feel the blowing of the wind, the warmth of the sun, or the wetness of rain ever again all terrifies me. My plea is one of mercy."

"We escaped our captivity and found ourselves escaping the flames to your city. Upon our arrival we found the valiant Firefighters working to contain the blaze and for reasons each our own decided to help. I for honor of the couragous Dwarves."

He held his arms wide, palms up and raised his head to expose his neck. It was apparently a respect or worship pose. "My name is Patak, and in the interest of Justice to satisfy the demands of your government and of our inability to prove our complete innocence I ask to be placed in service. Our- I cannot speak for the others but they are as capable as I, though the Golem is unable or unwilling to bring harm to another- my skill as a warrior and leader, with my Banner here as well, would be a great asset to one worthy of my fealty." He dared to look the Magus in the eye. "I hope you are that one."

Going with a plea deal. I contend I did nothing wrong, but I cannot prove a drat word of my story but hopefully what condensed version I gave has some merit. Going to Justice +6 to put it all on the line and gain 3 FP in the process.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - North Exit, The Black Tower | 4 FP

Patak went through the exit and ventured forth to see what awaited him.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The North Exit, Black Tower | FP 5

The Mage’s words had made up Patak’s mind. He was to leave this place. He accepted the gifts and left the Mage with a thought to chew on.

“Thank you, but if you will indulge an outsider for a moment: If Justice is not equal, how can it be just?” Patak jumped into the carriage before the Mage could reply.

To the driver he nodded. "Take me to the Caravans. I wish to put this city behind me."

Racking up another 1 FP to hopefully have this mage have a revelation about the Status Quo about the sorry state of Justice here. Then I am going to see the Caravaneers so I can find a marginally better pee pee soaked heck hole.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at Jul 22, 2017 around 00:07

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Caravans | FP 5

The other's gaze let Patak know they would not be traveling together. He chose to go with the hunters, but before they all departed he made a point to visit Amerigo and offer some coin and a weapon or two from his cache.

Going with the hunters, they are likely more professional. Giving Amerigo some money and a weapon or two to help out.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Hunter Caravan | FP 5

Patak nodded and brought a fist to his chest. A salute or gesture of respect probably. The warrior returned to the Hunters.

OOC: Okay no hard feelings good luck.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak followed the lead ranger, trying to stay out of earshot of the newcomers.

"In my homeland I have fought the gods themselves. So unless you have us in a Terrasque den let me hear your theory."

I ain't afriad of no undefined threat.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

"And let them clear us as well?" Patak retorted. He ruminated on the sparse information well into the night. The Giant might well be the easiest foe, the warlord's might against the undead giant. The Dracolich would be difficult, perhaps a good cloak bolstered by the Banner? A vampire...healed...by pain and suffering? Would it not then be likely that healing and restoration magic might harm it? In the morning, or the post-sleep in this maddening dark realm, he emptied out his coinpurse. "I think we are close to the grounds of one of the fabled Kursed. I smell foul necromancy. I have payment fair for a cloak, a potion of healing, and provisions. If I live I will return to you with a trophy and a share of the glory for those who aid me now. If I die, well, I died well in an honorable effort against a vile foe."

Offering all the coin I have left for A good cloak, a Healing Potion, and some undefined provisions. Going to use +2 of Warlord to cover boasting and inspiration.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 5

Patak thanked them, and bid them send his Regards to the Golem in Iron-Slate or a Gun-slinging Scholar by the name of Amerigo. He did not truly know which of the Kursed he would find, but set off into the dark to find the closest. He lit a torch only when necessary, making use of a spear as a staff in the meantime.

Tracking the Giant would be easiest, heavy footprints over time would wear an obvious triail. Dessicated Husks would belie the vampire. A bad feeling in a giant cavern might portend the DracoLich's strike.

Careful going. I was not aware I had an option, just a hunch one of the three was nearby. Figuring out indicators of which might be nearby. Going slowly, stealthily metal gear style. They might sense my blood but I will not make it easy for them to find me. Warlord +6 toward the Hunt.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 5

He crept backward, hoping the variable winds of this underground world would keep him downwind of this foe. Despite the stench it was still better than the alternative. Hidden in his cloak he did his due diligence before the battle. Reconaissance was a neccessary step if one could afford it, knowing your enemies abilities and divising strategies and contingencies.

Patak shivered in antici- this was going to be a good fight -pation.

Taking cover while observing my target.
Warlord +6 to leverage Patak's personal skills in this regard.
Then War God's Banner +2 to buff that ability into the realm of demigods and beyond.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Kursed Giant’s Camp, The Wilds | FP 5

The mighty warrior steeled himself for the battle ahead. The creature was sitting, its back was braced against a boulder. When it stooped down to take a bite of its gruesome meal it exposed the base of its skull. With luck, if he planted the spear true, if the beast jerked its head from the strike it would push the spear it all the way with its own helmet.

Patak timed his bounds with the sickening smacks of the giant’s lips and the crunching and grinding of its teeth. He would gather his speed and leap up the boulder, leap to the gap at the creature’s neck and plant his spear. He felt the banner begin to glow as he approached the creature. It had been long since he said the name of one of his gods with anything but contempt yet he might honor Mogh’s father should he survive this battle. He had been the Sun god, after all. Opponent of undead and darkness.

Patak found his footing true on the boulder, and leapt forth to visit terrible vengeance upon his foe.

I discussed having an aspect of the Sun God involved in the banner with IAC some turns ago before this Kursed business began. My action is to try and spear this sentivore in the brain stem. More exactly, to imbue my weapon with anti-undead war magic to pierce this Kursed skin and allow its reaction to push the temporarily-supercharged spear into its brain stem.

Warlord +6 For the martial skill and prowess.

War God’s Banner +2 for an anti-undead debuff for Kursed and/or go fight go buff for me.

Scene Specific Upshift +2 for the serendipitous timing and luck this plan requires.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak did not answer. Instead he capitalized on the creature turning its back to put some distance between them and scramble for higher ground. Grasping the sling from his bag and a stone to load within Patak made a judgement on the distance and silently invoked the hand symbol of the sun god.

It is the warlord’s intent that the stone will arc true into the monster’s exposed skull.

Not answering. My name does not matter. I am already dead. Victory is life. In Victory I shall reclaim my name.

I am going to hang back in the shadows and use the terrain and my smaller size to my advantage while I pick a sling and stone out of my bag of weapons and gear. The intent is akin to lobbing a holy mortar or RPG.

Warlord +6 to hurl a large rock via a sling to the Giant’s broken dome.

War God’s Banner +2 To bless the rock with an explosive abundance of Holy-Sun Magic.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak let the giant continue to smash around ineffectively while he got into position. It might even get tired. At any rate it wasn't much of a threat unless Patak erred. There was a great boulder, a piece of collapsed ceiling perhaps, or from the wall. It was there, though, precariously perched on a ledge in the dim distance. Patak slowly plodded over, climbing up and always stopping and barely breathing when the Giant stopped to listen.

In due time he was ready. He shouted his challenge to the creature. “My name? It will soon be Kursed Slayer. What was yours? I want to know for when I show off your toe as a trophy!”

The Giant would come. The rock will fall.
He would make use of the Banner one more time for an very important rite.

Going to do a The Land Before Time style rock fall coup de gras on the Giant. Hopefully this permits me enough free reign to use the War Banner to perform a last-rites ritual used on hostile undead.

Warlord +6 for the mental and physical skills involved in the trap

War God’s Banner +2 To foil the Kurse that is keeping the monster clinging to unlife.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Kursedfall, The Wilds | FP 5

It was a familiar experience to Patak. This is how power would transfer on his plane among the Empowered. It was how he had been able to amass enough power to challenge the gods. It had been stripped from him before he was banished. Here, now, he sensed a connection with the Others. He would have to slay them or they him. The gears were in motion after all this time. Perhaps there was even a hidden master behind the Kursed.

Here, now, there was still much to be done. The victims of the Giant needed to be cremated and the Rites performed to protect the corpses from undeath and honor their souls so they could pass freely. Every weapon embedded in the darksteel armor and scarred flesh of the Giant was taken, cleaned, sharpened, polished and left pointing at the Giant’s Remains in a great circle. Time and time again Patak repeated the mantra to unknown warriors. “Be at peace. Your fight is over. Victory has been achieved.”

When rest was necessary he rested. He gathered some extra provisions from the packs of the fallen. He was content in his tribute. The skeleton, weapons and armor would stay here for a long time. A monument, a memorial. The first of many he would erect on this world.

Basically a rest and upkeep turn. Taking 10(7?] to build Kursedfall, a memorial to the fallen. Justice has been served.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - ???, The Wilds | FP 5

https://youtu.be/mW3OUQGUftw

Patak allowed himself a grin as the spirits went to rest. Defeating legendary monsters was one thing, but to be thanked for it by the victims? Now that was special.

He traveled on through darkness, his feet finding the paths and a traveling staff serving as his vanguard. He was reminded of the Blind Monks he once met in his homeland. They fought at night and within their Monastery were virtually invincible. He could have burned it or set up a siege. They were good people, though, and were fairly ascetic. He decided on surrendering to them alone.

They laughed at the gesture and taught him a little of their way before sending him off with good tidings and a few able warriors. They made excellent night guardsmen as he recalled. Very good at “seeing” through illusions.

Patak moved steadily through the wilds in as straight a line as he could toward where he sensed the Dracolich. He hoped it could still feel fear. For a Dragon to fall to evil and darkness, well, he knew people who had words for that.

Making your way in the underworld today takes everything you got/ A warrior killing all your troubles sure would help a lot/ I am traveling through the dark toward the Dracolich. In as straight a line as I can make until I run into a City or travelers or trouble. Warlord +6 To make my way.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Sump, The Wilds | FP 5

It looked a proper little crapsack town. Patak liked these when they were free of trouble and could live in peace. It was important to him that they could. He looked around a bit before heading into this tavern.

He put down a few coins. “I have more, but I am looking for a hot meal, an actual bed, and if I am very lucky a place to bathe.” He glanced around. “And the local news or rumors of course. I am an adventurer. My name is Patak and I have slain the Kursed Giant!”

He lifted up the toe he took as a trophy as proof of his victory.

Some solid boasting and trying to purchase some more comfortable food, quarters, and hygiene stuffs. If they have any Troubles I am obviously the guy to ask for help.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Tavern Common Room, Sump | 5 FP

His stomach rumbles and it is decided. He travels to the common room in search of food and company in this place. He might be loathe to admit it but traveling alone in the dark is terribly lonely.

Getting the grub on. Chat some people up.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

He rushed down to pull the other free-minded man from the pot. He tried to deftly dodge the mind-slaves where he could. Those he could not he gave a smack to the head enough to knock them over, perhaps unconscious. Once he had his hands on the man he demanded through gritted teeth, "Everything you know about mindweavers. Now!" and carried the man over his shoulder as he continued to dodge the crowd.

Going to brute strength and warrior finesse this dude to freedom and relative safety, demanding a few points of info on what I am dealing with here. Warlord +6 for the linebacker run to save this guy. I would rather not make this a Tull situation if possible.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

He hoped the man's intel was true as he barricaded himself in the kitchen improvising copper weapons. He didn't like the situation. So few knowns, many known unknowns, and Mogh only knew how many unknown unknowns. It would pay for a bit of surety. As he hammered the edges of a copper plate to make a bladed disk he implored his artifact.

"Banner of Sun's Might, grant me enhanced sight!" He burst through the door and threw the plate at the mindweaver.

Going to use War God's Banner +2 to enhance my vision and allow me to see things as they are without trickery or illusion or shapeshifting. Basically truesight I guess. And Warlord +6 for the fighting.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak brought the copper kettle down on its hand. Enough to sting but not enough to break it. Unless the bones were brittle. "No! Enough! Are you capable of reason? If so release the town and take a seat at the table. If not I will have to kill you and rely on that man's story."

He walked over and pulled the inkeeper out from under the table. Holding the man up in the air with a single hand he spoke to the man in a low growl. "Why don't you have a seat over there. No interrupting each other. Am I clear?"

Ooh D&D Family Court. Warlord +6 for the physicality/threats/intimidation.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

"Please release the Thralls, Ma'am." The copper cookware he held belied the soft tone of his voice. "I will not ask again."

"I would like to start with name, race, and occupation if you would." Adjudicating disputes was not something Patak relished. It was a task that fell to him often in his home plane and among his travels across many others. "I understand the cornerstone of the dispute is the children. Could you describe the children? Where are they now?"

Some basic questions. Who/what are you? Whats up with the kids? A polite request with a threat behind it.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Inn Common Room, Sump| FP 5

“Will they remember any of this?” He asked her of the townsfolk. “I do not care for those who would trample the wills of others.” He turned to the Innkeeper, stopping short of striking the man. “BUT I CANNOT ABIDE A MAN WHO WOULD SELL HIS OWN CHILDREN INTO SLAVERY OR WORSE!”

“I have seen halflings do great deeds of valor and renown, and also many dark deeds. The choices they make will be theirs and you should be there to guide them. You have both wronged the other. I should kill the both of you. The children must be considered as well.” Patak placed his Standard on the table. “In exchange for and upon your lives I will have the both of you care for and guide these children.”

He looked to Maria “You will swear off of your ability to control minds except to blend in and to defend yourself and the children when in extreme danger.”

He looked to the Innkeeper. “You will release the children to their mother. At the very least you will provide them with regular monetary support until they reach what the age of adulthood is here.” He paused. “And not of the oath, but if you decide to become a decent father the rewards may be greater than you can imagine."

Offering them to swear oaths in exchange for a stay of execution. On their lives and honor via the power of The War God’s Banner +2

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - Between Sump and ???, The Wilds| FP 5

Patak helped to clean up the mess and paid generously for the "damage" he had caused. He also bought fresh provisions for the road. The Warrior then escorted the Mother and children back to their home in the next settlement over. Patak spoke once the torchlights disappeared behind them.

"If you like, I could claim them. Their blood father may never. I would move on shortly but having a name might help. I would check in if I passed by this way again, and if I am still in this realm I should not be hard to find by the time they reach adulthood." He gave a half-smile in the flickering light of his torch. "I would think the purple would stand out well enough as proof."

Taking Marie home, restocking my supplies. Making an offer that is more ceremonial for now.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 5| 2 upshifts Banked

He didn’t know why Maria insisted on him getting the hat. Without sun it just seemed silly. If it had not fit perfectly he would have done without, but such a fit for a man of his size was such a rare thing. Patak pondered a while longer until the howl spooked Horse.

“There, there, girl.” He patted her head. “If it dares come close enough to show its eyes the creature will swear fealty or die by my hand.”

The horse seemed unconvinced.

“Oh really? I suppose you don’t know who I am. I am Patak! Warlord, Freer of the slaves of Bamas, Kursed-slayer, Mogh’s Bane!” He leaned in close and whispered into the horse’s ear. “If there is a creature in these wastes that I cannot best then this whole world would tremble before it. I shall be King of these Wilds. What of you? You are my steed.”

He gave Horse a light kick. “Now act like it. Hya!”

Venturing forth on the trail of the Dracolich. Going by more established paths on account of Horse. Don’t want the poor thing dropping off a ledge or something. Using Wildlands +2 to help navigate. Warlord +6 To make good on my promise to Horse if anything threatening does get close.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

quote:

Patak and horse soon come upon a peaceful scene. 50 caravaneers sleeping peacefully. Eternally. Their clothing was different than the locals. Several large wet puddles sat in front of each cart. Like the horses had turned to water. Odd.
It was if everyone of them was snuffed where they stood or slept. No signs of life or stirring and the goods were untouched. The howl out in the darkness again. Closer this time.

There seems to be signs of something out there.

Patak - Strange Massacre Site, The Wilds | FP 5| 2 upshifts Banked

“Well poo poo.”

Patak was crouched down beside horse, rubbing his jaw at the strange massacre before him. Maybe the puddles were some sort of Ice Golem remnant. Killing the handler or even killing the golem would reduce such a thing to base components. Patak walked the perimeter of the scene, keeping an eye out for tracks and strange odors.

It was a fresh kill, only a few hours old. Definitely not drowning as the dead had no water in their lungs. Patak respectfully examined each body and placed a copper coin on the head of each once he had finished.

"Fare for the dead." He spoke as he performed the rite.

He looked in particular for their pose and expression upon death, and along the exposed body parts and clothes for telltale marks and wounds. Patak also checked what belongings they each had on their persons. He felt for temperature as well, in case ice magic had flash frozen them or magic lightning had burned them. Even magic tends to leave its mark.

Once the bodies were examined he looked to the carts. He checked what supplies they carried and looked extra carefully for documents or other such things that would tell him who these people were and where they were headed.

Only once Patak had all the information he could gather from the scene did he begin to form his guess. He had seen odd things down in these Wilds and was no stranger to ambushes and being ambushed and even so this was among the oddest he had ever seen. He kept an ear out for the Howler and an eye on the sky as he sat in grim thought over this quiet massacre.

He added what signs he found of something out there to his pool of facts, though he had a few creeping suspicions as to the cause of this massacre.

Well aint this a doozy. Trying to determine who these folk are and how they died. Using Wildlands +2 and my considerable experience with the killing of things as a Warlord [+6] as well as a touch of common sense to uncover and analyze the data and come up with possibilities.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

The Warlord errant gave a most quizzical look at the tracks. “Heels?! In this terrain?!” Patak stared blankly for a moment before remarking to Horse: “Well, at least they should not be moving too fast.”

It seemed to Patak that these people were either harvested for their souls or someone very powerful held some grudge toward them. It was also obvious that this attack was without honor, given the lack of warning and therefore chance of surrender or offer of terms. It would be hard to justify such a massacre even for the most aggrieved party. Patak did not want to turn away from his quest to slay the Kursed but whatever could do this could not be allowed to continue. Not in his Wilds.

He led Horse by the reins as he held his Banner aloft. “Untimely dead, I swear to find your killer and exact Judgement upon them. By the Holy Sun’s Light I will find your killer and make them answer for their foul deed!”

He walked with the Banner radiating Holy Light. The tracks of his quarry would sparkle in the glow, or burn with holy fire should they be actually tained with metaphysical evil.

Well I guess this is the sort of thing I need to take care of. Swearing an Oath to the dead to find their Killer, avenge them, etc. Using Wildlands +2 for mundane tracking and War God’s Banner +2 To make the tracks easier to see to speed up my search/give a protective aura while I rush headlong toward a powerful adversary.

Note: Justifying item use because this murder occurred in my Jurisdiction, which is the Wilds.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak surveyed the camp site. It seemed normal enough, but there were various traps a mage might set that even a trained and keen eye could not see until they were sprung. Patak touched his Banner for a moment, considering the danger. All he really knew was that this individual had been to the massacre site. It could very well be that they had investigated as well, and then moved on. So he settled for a more balanced approach. Rather than waking them up with a weapon to the face he would prepare a meal for two over the fire. People like to talk over food. People feel safer and more secure on a full stomach.

He did get some slightly dented copper cookware for a fabulous price. It would be a shame not to make use of it. Patak threw a few coals from his pack on the fire and began roasting up some salted fish and mushrooms as well as putting together a pan bread Marie had shared the recipe and sold him supplies for. He wouldn't have minded brewing a coffee but no trader seemed to know what it was.

Patak really hated the Underdark sometimes.

Aiming for Parley with the individual if they are not immediately hostile. Exchange of names and pleasantries and all that, get off on a good footing before I might have to kill them. Using mortal Wildlands +2 and Warlord +4 to be wary of any tricks or traps and War God's Banner +2 for magical defense should the need arise. As an aside I'd like to ask for a roll using Wildlands +2 just to see how good Patak's cooking is. Not a double action per se, just kind of a side detail to flesh out.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak smiled, his arms wide.

"I only wished to share the fire and a meal, and with luck converse with a fellow traveler. I had thought you asleep in your tent when I approached. I apologize if I have intruded on your covered feet."

He stood to his full height and gave a solemn bow.

"I am Patak, a Warlord-errant on a quest to slay the Kursed. I have already claimed the Giant's Toe." He shared the food and his prized Toephy and offered further banter about the oddities of the Wildlands before sharing the details of the Northerner Massacre.

"The only thing I have to go on is boot prints that were all over the scene. They led me here. Do you know what happened there?" Patak glared at her expectantly over the glow of the fire.

Uh, Name, Occupation, reason for travel I guess? Oh and what the hell was with that Northerner Massacre? I suppose I can use Wildlands +2 toward buttering her up and Warlord +4 toward interrogation for a total conversational +6. War God's Banner +2 on call for Defensive measures.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 5+2=7| 2 upshifts Banked

Patak lept up and grabbed her by the wrist in a grip like steel. "Madam, I want nothing from you but the Truth. I intend to bring Justice to this dank dark world. I have tied you to the scene. I care not for petty looting, I am searching for a killer. Be you that killer I would consider your reasons. Be you another passerby I would know what you know."

The Banner radiated warmth and Light. "In the name of Justice and by the Banner I compel you to speak the Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth regarding the caravan massacre."

Well I guess this is where the Dredd bits come out. Forcing the issue, it isnt the crown of truth but perjury in Patak Court carries a heavy price. Using Warlord +4 for physical restraint/intimidation invoking Justice +4 for manyfold reasons, and The War God's Banner +2 due to oaths and persuit of them. Patak must have her honest and full statement. Compliance with this investigation is mandatory, citizen.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 5+2=7| 2 upshifts Banked

If Patak was surprised by the display his features did not show it. He neither rose nor loosened his grip as he took in a deep breath. He whispered a single word. A question asked with an expression as cool as ice.

"Why?"

He stared upward at his enraged opponent showing neither malice nor fear before leaping to his feet. Instead of attacking her physical body with crude brute force he instead struck at her chakras directly. His attempt was to sever her connection with whatever source she drew her magic from long enough to remove her as a viable threat until she reattuned herself in the manner she first gained it.

Holding on physically and striking with Warlord +6 and metaphysically the same with War God's Banner +2 to disable her magical ability.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at Sep 15, 2017 around 04:37

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 7| 2 upshifts Banked

Patak bound the Fire Mage’s hands and feet. He had only rope since chain was heavy and he was traveling. He sat back down next to the fire and began to speak to her. “I take it you are one of the fire assholes? I met the Dark ones. Total dicks, madam. I can’t imagine why your gods banished you lot to the Underdark. I am also aware of Ice ones, presumably related to our dead friends. I wonder if the Light ones are merely dicks.” Patak poked at the fire with his short sword.

“Once you’ve composed yourself I want the full story, why you killed the merchants. Then I will decide how my oath is to be fulfilled. You are stubborn and determined, qualities I can respect.” He inspected the glowing tip of his blade. “To a point.”

I have earned the info by now, yeah?

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2017 around 16:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak - The Wilds | FP 7| 2 upshifts Banked

Slavers! Patak ignored her...threats. Insinuations?

"My first kill was a slaver. My first ten actually." Patak said thoughtfully. He kept expecting documents to be paper or parchment, but the dark ones used stone slabs. The ice ones would use ice then. The footsteps all over, but nothing amiss...

The puzzle snapped together. "My oath is void! Slavers deserve a harsher death than you gave them. He gave her a cold cloth and started brewing some medicinal tea before cutting her free.

"You aren't my type, lass, but you and I could do some wonderful work together. Do you have their tablets? We could free your fair folk and kill so-" He shivered in ecstasy. "So many slavers. And other horrible things."

He cut his hand and offered her the knife. "I apologize for the harm I have caused you. You are a formidable opponent. I would hope you are equally formidable as an ally. I am Patak, and I shall destroy all evils I encounter. Join with me and together we will slay monsters and slavers alike!"

So while it might be a difficult segue Patak is offering to add her to his war party and slaughter bads together. Warlord +6 to sell it.

• Locked thread
«2 »