Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

It boggles my mind that there are people who play platformers and (where applicable) don't hold down the run button the entire time

It was great when I'd play one of the NSMB games with my cousins, because they don't really run that much but I run all the time so I kept killing them by making them have to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phantasium posted:

It was great when I'd play one of the NSMB games with my cousins, because they don't really run that much but I run all the time so I kept killing them by making them have to keep up.

Shameful. You should be hanging out behind them and letting them run ahead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

sorry the phrase is "semper games" not "semper being nice"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Games are more fun when everyone's having fun

There are exceptions, of course. See Mario Party

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is the god given duty of older cousins to torment their younger, weaker relatives to the point of tears by showcasing their videogaming prowess. maga

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I barely remember anything from my early childhood but I still distinctly recall running over the one-tile gaps in Super Mario Bros. and being blown away by that. From then on I was an Always Runner

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

when I did that they would pick me up and try to chuck me into pits

those are evil, evil games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

Smh at you if you don't entertain your family members by reacting with amazement at everything they do and being genuinely proud when they do well at a game you're playing with them

Phantasium posted:

when I did that they would pick me up and try to chuck me into pits

those are evil, evil games.

Well this changes everything, if they're gonna play it that way then it's dog eat dog

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Your daughter sounds cool. Don't introduce her to the internet until she's like 20

Yeah. And then give me her number!!!!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Torment your younger family members while you can because before you know it they will be kicking your rear end at Mario Kart like 15 minutes after you first start playing it with them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Smh at you if you don't entertain your family members by reacting with amazement at everything they do and being genuinely proud when they do well at a game you're playing with them

Well this changes everything, if they're gonna play it that way then it's dog eat dog

A gaming memory I will hold onto forever is my brother in law visiting after mario maker came out, and watching him work his way through one of my levels in real time and seeing somebody's body and emotions actually affected by your level design. It was a insanely humbling moment and made me realize instantly why tens of thousands of people have dedicated their lives to being game designers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oddium posted:

she's really into lamby, the lamb who plays the Go to Sleep song when you wind it up

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there base building in in Homeworld DoK? I just realised I really wanted to play a new RTS but base building was my favourite bit and no one cares about that anymore.

This is why Creeper World is the only RTS I've ever been able to get into aside from spending a summer vacation as a kid fooling around with Age of Empires, it's an RTS built entirely around buildings and turrets where the resource generation is totally passive and aside from a few lovely levels at the end of the campaign there's no real time limit so you can turtle for as long as you want if you're so inclined.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

she is very healthy and so far shows no preference to either mario or sonic

Always let your child decide their own preference and love them if they pick Sonic anyway.

In Training posted:

Yeah. And then give me her number!!!!

gross dude :c

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

go the gently caress to sleep / and if you don't / joe chin is gonna suplex you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
man, ,rise of tomb raider is not even as good as tomb raider reboot game for computer :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

man, ,rise of tomb raider is not even as good as tomb raider reboot game for computer :(

Yeah, it's not great. Story is bad. Collectathon gameplay, bland open world, and lame crafting stuff. I played it after Horizon so even bow and arrow stuff which people said was the high point of the gameplay didn't feel amazing to me. I hear the paid survival mode DLC is good if you like that stuff (I don't)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

go the gently caress to sleep / and if you don't / joe chin is gonna suplex you

Joe Chin is the original Chad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, it's not great. Story is bad. Collectathon gameplay, bland open world, and lame crafting stuff. I played it after Horizon so even bow and arrow stuff which people said was the high point of the gameplay didn't feel amazing to me. I hear the paid survival mode DLC is good if you like that stuff (I don't)

i didnt love tr2013 that much but it has a lot more personality than rise, which feels like a bland bullshit open world game. it turns out if you take out SPOOKY CANNIBALS from tr2013 you are left with the rest of the game, which is to say, not anything

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samuringa posted:

We already have

I hate the comparison to Dark Souls, but Crash Bandicoot is extremely difficult.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

love them if they pick Sonic anyway.

Nah

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe the next one will actually be able to innovate and improve on the first since it's no longer contractually obligated to release on a platform with 512MB of RAM.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Maybe the next one will actually be able to innovate and improve on the first since it's no longer contractually obligated to release on a platform with 512MB of RAM.

more ram to have even more collectibles

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I mean the story in TR13 was nothing remarkable but at least there were vaguely sympathetic allies, and I really liked the parallel arcs of Lara getting more confident and motivated to fight while the enemies start off treating Lara like nothing but by the end they are completely terrified of her.

Rise replaces all of Lara's growth with Daddy Issues, the only likable character is a transparent plot device that is missing for 90% of the game, I hated all the other NPCs, and they somehow found a more generic enemy than the generic cultists of the previous game.

I read the plot synopsis of the DLC and if that were in the actual base game it might have held me interest for at least a second beyond Bow Hunting Simulator 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Let's not forget setting the entire game in a snowy forest with no interesting landmarks except for a series of identical concrete bunkers

Lara's antagonists being a faceless corporation was ok back when she was Cool One Liner Lara who just constantly mocked them but it doesn't work at all for New Boring Lara (With Bows)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I remember in Underworld a bunch of mooks show up and shes like THIS IS A TOMB SO ILL MAKE YOU FEEL AT HOME and then shot them with her two guns

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I kinda liked Lara's wimpy-to-badass arc in the reboot even if it was a bit bumpy due to subpar writing, and now that that arc is over Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't really have much else to say about her. The last game was the rise of the tomb raider :geno:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think you could even shoot dual pistols at all in Rise

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can't, which is super extra lame because the big "gently caress yeah" moment at the end of the reboot is Lara finally pulling them out like her mentor guy did

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had never heard if this game until seeing this trailer just now but it looks p good/cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDNz8JDIPck

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so if i have this right it's

dawn of the tomb raider
rise of the tomb raider
war for the tomb raider

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

thatd be cool so you can't do it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

so if i have this right it's

dawn of the tomb raider
rise of the tomb raider
war for the tomb raider

Rise of the planet of the tombs, actually, they had to cut the title off a bit to fit it on the game box

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

glam rock hamhock posted:

I had never heard if this game until seeing this trailer just now but it looks p good/cute

a hat in time was the original banjo kazooie successor

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I kinda liked Lara's wimpy-to-badass arc in the reboot even if it was a bit bumpy due to subpar writing, and now that that arc is over Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't really have much else to say about her. The last game was the rise of the tomb raider :geno:

I will always remember her screaming about how she has a grenade launcher and the mooks going "oh gently caress run" in the first game.

I enjoyed her very clear ptsd and how easily she slipped back into killin' in the second game but they didn't do anything interesting with it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's been in crowdfunding development hell for almost half a decade so I would temper your expectations accordingly.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Toukiden 2 got there first, Monster Hunter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

toukiden doesn't look that good or that satisfying to land hits in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
After what Yooka-Laylee ended up becoming, I think I'll wait and see before thinking about snagging A Hat in Time.

• Locked thread