Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
HEY WHAT UP Y'ALL ITS TIME FOR VIDEOGAMES!

Games this month:
Final Fantasy 12!
Minecraft Story Mode Season 2!
Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight!
HUNTING SIMULATOR!!!! Get HYPE!

and there are no other games. that's it. no other games. what games are you planning on playing this july?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubCo3pvXNAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I beat the first dungeon thing in Breath of the Wild. It was pretty fun. I guess this game is all right.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In celebration of July 4th, and being the hottest summer in recorded history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-WoGwRmUw

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'll buy Final Fantasy 12 when it comes to Steam, even though I have a PS4. Namaste

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

June Thread just started talking about MGS2. And yes, it is the best game ever :cool:

Shame the PC version's so hard to get. I've probably got the DVD at my parent's house somewhere...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll buy FF12 even though I didn't really like it 10 years ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll buy FF12 even though I didn't really like it 10 years ago.

I have owned a copy of FF12 for nearly a decade and just never got around to playing it :effort:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
FF12 came out in America the year I graduated from high school, if I couldn't keep up interest past the first few hours at the time in my life when I had some of the most free time I've ever had and little in the way of distractions or alternatives to entertain myself then I doubt I could do it now when I have a full-time job and a backlog a mile long.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have owned a copy of FF12 for nearly a decade and just never got around to playing it :effort:

lol if you haven't owned games for years without playing them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've had a copy of DDS 2 since it came out that I've never played because I never beat the first one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Have they made any firm announcements about whether or not Zodiac Age is coming to PC? I'd assume so, but I haven't seen anything that 100% confirms it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope it's PS4 only for the time being.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope it's PS4 only for the time being.

Man, all I wanna do is play the version of FF12 where it doesn't sound like all the dialogue was recorded in a bathtub. Square-Enix....!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You'll get it when I can play the FF9 port on my PS4 :argh:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I said it before and I will say it again: lol if you can't handle an old game that poo poo is like 30 years old at worst you can figure it out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I said it before and I will say it again: lol if you can't handle an old game that poo poo is like 30 years old at worst you can figure it out

What about games made before 1985

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

codenameFANGIO posted:

The older a game is the more likely it is to be bullshit hard, poorly designed and require reading an actual manual.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about games made before 1985

You can figure out a game your parents played I am pretty sure

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I've had a copy of DDS 2 since it came out that I've never played because I never beat the first one.

The first one is the only SMT game I beat and then I never played the second despite having owned it for years (though I don't anymore).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

6 months into the year and i've only beaten 10 indies from 2017:

Poi, Mini-Ghost, Slime-San, Dead Cells (reviewer copy version which was shorter), Alwa's Awakening, Rise & Shine, Lit, Nefarious, A Normal Lost Phone, and Milkmaid of the Milky Way

a lot of b-grade games at best, my top three are probably Alwa, Dead Cells and Slime-San. weakest would probably be either Lit or Nefarious

I still own these yet to play: Brigador Up-Armored Edition, The Tenth Line, Stories Untold, Morphblade

I also played the sneak peek of Hollow Knight which I liked and a demo of Splasher which was super good, but don't own either yet

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

6 months into the year and i've only beaten 10 indies from 2017:

Poi, Mini-Ghost, Slime-San, Dead Cells (reviewer copy version which was shorter), Alwa's Awakening, Rise & Shine, Lit, Nefarious, A Normal Lost Phone, and Milkmaid of the Milky Way

a lot of b-grade games at best, my top three are probably Alwa, Dead Cells and Slime-San. weakest would probably be either Lit or Nefarious

I still own these yet to play: Brigador Up-Armored Edition, The Tenth Line, Stories Untold, Morphblade

I also played the sneak peek of Hollow Knight which I liked and a demo of Splasher which was super good, but don't own either yet

How is Poi? As someone who likes 3D platformers it interests me but I know very little

Also, on that note I want to say that I'm enjoying replaying Crash 1 very much, despite the jank

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From the last thread:

oddium posted:

i'm playing....... lufia 2. i've only done the tutorial puzzle dungeon but it seems neat

The ancient dungeon is one of the best roguelikes ever made, you're gonna love it

Can't believe they crammed an entire extra game into lufia 2 that is better than most games on the snes

You think this is hyperbole but it's not

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
TIME TO REPOST THIS IN THE CURRENT THREAD EVEN THOUGH ITS STILL JUNE

Here's an example I just made of how the game's physics are screwed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGB0wfUHv0I

In the original you've got more than enough leeway to clear these boxes but this same jump is so precise in the HD version that your foot has to actually be touching the nitro crates to get over them all. The slower movement speed really sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's 2:31 am July 1st in the correct timezone ya goob

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The west coast is literally one of the most backwards places on earth

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been June for 7 hours and 42 minutes

Uh July I mean it's definitely July

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 1, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been June for 7 hours and 42 minutes

Man feels like way longer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

In celebration of July 4th, and being the hottest summer in recorded history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-WoGwRmUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjTwZodby0

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A console-style RPG featuring a colorful cast of characters, unique battle and level-up systems, quick 2D platforming action, and an original, fantastical story about friendship, faith, and finding your place in the world.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

The older a game is the more likely it is to be bullshit hard, poorly designed and require reading an actual manual.

I am sure we are all happy to live in an age where the 30 seconds of rifling through the manual has been replaced by a hour-long slogs of hand-holding explanation at the start of games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am yes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I am sure we are all happy to live in an age where the 30 seconds of rifling through the manual has been replaced by a hour-long slogs of hand-holding explanation at the start of games.

Yeah, in all those games that do that these days, like...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
UI design has come a long way and is the main thing that makes old games a chore to play but i wouldn't say game design has necessarily improved much.

like this is almost uselessly broad without specific examples but in a lot of genres modern game design basically means smoothing out every rough edge or unexpected interaction you possibly can, which is stifling and homogenizes games even as it makes them seem more "professional"

i feel like the late nineties / early 2000s was the only time in history when games like Brood War or the original Deus Ex could have been made -- their scope and development costs are too big to really be imitated by most indie developers, but at the same time the amount of cool janky poo poo that you can do in them would be anathema to modern AAA design

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
anyways I'm playing lots of Hollow Knight and Dungeon Fighter Online

I got more than halfway through Nier: Automata but stalled out because 9S's gameplay sucks and there are still at least two more chapters of his storyline

I'm playing Overwatch on and off, but I'm starting to think that while I really like a few parts of the game the overall experience is kind of negative and I should ditch it

I like the idea of playing Factorio but I alternate between being really intimidated by the thought of figuring out all my designs myself on the one hand, and thinking the game would be pointless if I looked up solutions on the other

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hacking is cool but if you really can't stand it just give him a spear or punch gloves and spear or punch stuff.
Also if you're still on route B you have a lot more than two more chapters of playing as him.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
yeah although the hacking game is a bit repetitive if you get the right chips you'll get through battles a lot faster. It gets insanely broken later on in the game once you get some good combust chips against the tougher enemies

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

anyways I'm playing lots of Hollow Knight and Dungeon Fighter Online

I got more than halfway through Nier: Automata but stalled out because 9S's gameplay sucks and there are still at least two more chapters of his storyline

I'm playing Overwatch on and off, but I'm starting to think that while I really like a few parts of the game the overall experience is kind of negative and I should ditch it

I like the idea of playing Factorio but I alternate between being really intimidated by the thought of figuring out all my designs myself on the one hand, and thinking the game would be pointless if I looked up solutions on the other

I swore off DFO after starting FFXIV because all your classes being on one character is such a huge relief, but how are the new female priests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Please put splatoon 2 in the OP

• Locked thread