Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Give me an MMO with stylish clothes and armor but remove all the MMO poo poo and just make it about being stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Plan: Buy slow paced and fast paced games and play all of them, in balance.

Reality: All DOOM, All day.

Probably the first time I've bought and finished a game before the sale was over. Don't regret it one bit tho, lived to all the hype it built. Even the credits are fantastic!

http://i.imgur.com/aeRwFOZ.mp4

Between DOOM and Titanfall 2, it was a good year for shooters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Snak posted:

I think they tweaked that when they added the camera.

Holy poo poo, Ocelot's torture is super easy in Twin Snakes. I suck at button mashing, but this is completely easy, and Peace Walker's horse riding was really hard for me...

Edit: I feel like Huey has retroactively made me hate Otacon.

Otacon is alright, don't hate him just because his dad was a royal piece of poo poo and perhaps the true villain of the entire series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

in a perfect world all venerable scifi action shooter series that ran out of gas would have pumped out vanquish clone reboots.

megaman, metroid, contra, etc. it was the perfect system for that type of game to go 3d

I never want to see a 3d non-Legends Megaman, even if it's Vanquish style. I have the foolish hope that Sigma being in MvCI might bring a new X game, but it might be for the best if it does not.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 8, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I goddamn loved Mega Man X8 when I was younger, but I would have to play it today before I am willing to call it a good game.

It's better than 6 and 7, but past that would be stretching a bit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Games as services allows for basically unregulated monetization.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

I don't know exactly how that final battle was supposed to play out. I just entered the room and zapped her as my screen slowly got garbled. There didn't appear to be any damage to my character, just zap zap zap at something I couldn't see until smash cut to ending scene.

e: next game on the roulette is Strike Suit Zero although I'll probably put that aside to play Paradigm and get back into Persona 5.

Strike Suit Zero is alright as far as Rogue Squadron-ish games go, but the campaign is nothing special. It has some sweet Homeworld sky boxes, though.

I don't know if it's in your roulette, but I'd recommend Strike Suit Infinity over it, which is just an arcade gauntlet version of the game and lets it really shine.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I need it to be July 21st

Good news, friendo, for Splatoonran Kagura is out in mere days to hold you over until then.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Got to the robot orgy in Nier Automata. This cannot continue.

Just to be clear, you will hear some boss fight music, but it does not belong to that boss. It belongs to Father Servo. That is his music.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 11, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't know what this means so hopefully you're not spoiling.

Anyway I like the robots at the carnival who wanted to give me presents. The robot village is cool too but I don't like the music much. Am I wrong or are the vocals in most of these songs not Emi Evans?

Father Servo is a side quest, not really any story spoilers. If you haven't found him he's on the roof of the last building before you enter the desert. My greatest gaming regret is that I did not do that side quest the proper way that I should have.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

babypolis posted:

yeah its weird because the story as told in the journal is a lot better. but the game itself doesnt seem to be even trying at times

I like 13, but I won't blame you if you skip directly to Lightning Returns, the best one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please fight Father Servo honorably and correctly, and not the way everyone probably did it in route B. I am ashamed that I let him down.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking about plunkbat (the superior name for it), what are some games you all will basically not play because the gameplay doesn't appeal to you, you're just no good at it, you don't have the time, or whatever, but you appreciate that they exist?

For me it's probably competitive shooters, most fighting games, Virtual On, and other things that require fast, precise inputs. I'll play them but quickly hit the limit where trying to improve from my meager level would require far more time investment than I can put in, so my interest wanes. They're great games and fun to watch, though. Also good sandbox or building games or big wrpgs because I'm bad at making my own fun in them. I need more structure and objectives.

Edit: Oh and coop games, for probably obvious reasons.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 14, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

I don't appreciate their existence because of the objectively bad design elements inherent to the genre, but Bullet Hell games.

I'm actually curious what you consider the objectively bad design elements inherent to bullet hells to be. I mean I'm awful at them, but I'd be hard pressed to find something strictly bad about them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Car Talk rules and everyone should absolutely listen to it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I felt like playing some Titanfall 2 due to discussion here so after several months of not playing it apparently I have to download 14 gigs of updates :psyduck:. I thought they only added a couple maps and mechs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Earliest game I remember was like space defender or something. It was a side scrolling space shooter on a 5.25" floppy on an Apple IIe.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anime fighters are cool because they have a bunch of weird character mechanics that the more standard ones like SF, Tekken, and KOF don't.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

is them's fighting herds the pony one. did that actually become tangible and not just the fever dream of over obsessed idiots

btw i found a picture of lurdiak

I was not aware of the anime hug pillow for cats market, but hell, I say go for it in our capitalist end state.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm just psyched they're apparently finally adding Jubei to Blazblue. It's a weird late addition to a series they just finished but he's a character that's been they're since the first game and had never been playable. Plus he's a cat in a hoodie (not a cat person, just a cat... Though he's married to a big tittie anime witch in the story)

Well presumably he wasn't always a cat, I guess. He's got good taste, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

No he was always a cat. They are pretty clear about this.

To be honest I haven't played the Blazblue story mode except for like once and I got an ending where Ragna sailed into hell on a ghost ship or something, which I assume is canon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'd be ashamed to talk about any of my video game habits with a real live human being, which is why I post here.

You cannot be judged for your hobbies if nobody knows them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sefal posted:

Oh yeah, splatoon 2 is soon.
I hope the destiny 2 beta doesn't have server issues :v:

Oh they'll have an issue. The issue will be that they're running Destiny 2 heyoooo.

I don't actually know anything about Destiny or Destiny 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crystal Chronicles had some cool ideas that I think could find a real place now, and I wish some company had the guts to try those things again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Snak posted:

Not only where they threatening to launch a nuke, what actually ended up happening was the dissemination of the specs for Metal Gear. The premise of Metal Gear Solid 2 (not a spoiler, it's right in the intro) is the Ocelot basically gave every country and wealthy enough entity in the world the capability to produce the most dangerous next-gen super-weapon. And then they did.

While that's not really how producing weapons works in real life, that's what happened in-universe. So that's pretty big.

Well without nukes a Rex isn't THAT big of a threat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Metal Gear GoDaddy

Its radar dome keeps popping out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

PSA: Friends don't let friends play MOBAs

It is strange that MOBAs are massively popular and yet nobody really likes them, even those who play them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is basically what Mega Man X is about.

Mega Man X was Nier Automata almost 25 years ago.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a part of me that wants the missing link games between series, but that part is probably wrong and a fool.

I'd gladly take Aile's adventures between ZX and Advent, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Are there humans in the mega man world? Or is it just robots vs robots trying to defend robots forever?

There are humans on the moon. Just trust us.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Wily is ultimately the hero in BN if I remember correctly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bring back Fashion SWAT.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

No it's e/n only apparently these broken people think random strangers on Reddit will have better advice than just like calling their mom or whatever

The sad part is that for many of them that's actually true.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aren't milennials at this point anyone in the range of newborn to like 35?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I was interested in Fortnite so I checked out the neogaf thread to see what it actually is. Pretty much the first thing in the op is information about loot boxes.

Is that really what gamers are interested in?

Loot boxes will forever grow until they are made literally illegal. They are the worst plague on games as a whole.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

How bout that splatoon?

Mari-s > Not Mari-s

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

A huge segment of the Overwatch playerbase doesn't really care about the competitive nature of the game at all and just plays matches toward earning cosmetic items. Of course it helps Blizzard's bottom line that some people pay money for them but even if they were all totally free people would want something to work toward since they couldn't care less about their KDR or ladder ranking.

None of that justifies loot boxes. I will never understand why anyone defends something so purely anti-consumer, except that they have been conditioned to think there is no alternative.

PS Never defend a corporation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

To be clear, I have no issue with dlc (except like Capcom style day one on-the-disc dlc) or cash shops. It's not like people wouldn't buy from them if you're that concerned about how the poor corporation is going to make money. My problem is with loot boxes specifically, more so when they're the only option for getting something. It's a bit weird when "I would like to exchange money for a specific product" is seen as somehow radical entitlement.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should probably stop trying to be a cool guy who doesn't use assault rifles on the occasions that I decide to play Titanfall 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cosmetic loot boxes are good because they a) incentivize developers to care about the long-term health and balance of the game, since their income comes in a steady stream from people who are hyper-invested in the game rather than initial word of mouth and b) it's cosmetics. Cosmetic effects do no matter unless they're so egregiously garish that they interfere with character identification. Mechanics uber alles.

They're also bad because you can't really sell cosmetics and also let players run dedicated servers with much in the way of customization available to them. However nobody seems to give a poo poo about that (far more important) fight any more, so if you're going to have everything on centralized matchmaking anyways... v:shobon:v

Whether you personally care about cosmetic stuff is irrelevant, because clearly enough people do care that they can base their revenue stream on it, so they do matter. The question is whether you think it is acceptable for a company not to be obligated to give a product a customer is paying for. Why is it outlandish and entitled to expect some video game companies to work the way every other business does? Hell, even most video game companies don't operate that way, but people are willing to give Blizzard a pass because who knows.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 22, 2017

• Locked thread