Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cryptark feels like Nuclear Throne - super cool, super good, and too hard for me. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help that the tutorial level feels like it doesn't prepare you for what the game is actually about to throw at your at all. I did the tutorial and was like "this won't be so bad" which was quickly followed by horrible death.

I genuinely have an easier time with the game when it slows down right before death, but it doesn't last forever and then I go back to dying. :(

I wish it had a mode like Brigador where you can slow down the action and process it before turning the speed back up to "death."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

Like. What if somebody tried to design a FPS with no vlook. Why not try it? Even in the cavalcade of indie junk I don't know of any game that has successfully revisited that idea

I actually thought Terra Nova had no vlook in it until I discovered that they bound looking up and down to the R and V keys.

Old-school keybinds are just the wildest things sometimes. :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated, but I can't sleep and I am annoyed because I am tired but I can't actually do the "sleep" part, bleh. Hopefully I'll be able to drift off here soonish but until then, I hope everyone is having a good night/morning.

I hope you sleep well when you do!

I've been having bad nights lately but then there's a lot of bad stuff going down in my family, so. :shrug:

Thankfully games have been great to me in my time of need, providing lots of good escapism.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

Just a reminder that Quake, the game that put 3D shooters on the map, assumed gamers wouldn't be comfortable with a mouse and have it turned off by default with up/down bound to a/z.

For all of the genius of those old designers, oof, their GUI gaffes....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

The guiding philosophy, if it existed, often seemed to be two-fold:
1. Bind every function to a key according to a mnemonic
2. Maintain a uniform density of key usage (read: spread them out as much as possible)

This kind of made sense for something like Nethack, but for an action game...?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just saw this and thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/HypraSeaPea/status/881950579320168448

I can't verify it though because I don't play Kirby games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I have a week off coming up so I'm super excited to play through Avernum because I loved Exile when I was a kid.

But being realistic I'm just gonna wind up playing through BG2 again.

At least install it and boot it up!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Oh I absolutely will. I remember playing the everloving hell out of all the Exile demos when I was young - I even edited one of the character sprites to be a cool guy with a gun and shades. It took me a while to get round to checking out Avernum because I was worried it might not hold up but everyone seems to have good things to say about it.

I'll try to resist the lure of BG2 but it's difficult. I keep finding myself playing through the series every year when I get a break and this year is the first time I'm using the EE instead of the older versions with the thousand of fixes needed to make them playable. I'm excited that cloud saves are now a feature though - means I can have a comprehensive playthrough I can revisit easily.

Okay, good!

I haven't played the BG series, but I'm working on Avadon now and enjoying it - particularly the pleasing rhythm of clearing one map section at a time? Like, it neatly cuts itself up into bite-sized chunks of dungeon crawling. And talking. Lots of talking.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/882222757039288321

Well hello

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I laughed so hard at it that I had to bring it back. I am a sucker for terrible jokes.

Thank you, I liked seeing it. :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I cannot tell a ly, sir. I did play those video games!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/msmp__/status/882665875660210176

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, it's 5 AM where I live and I can't stop playing Deadly Rooms Of Death. I finished Gunthro and the Epic Blunder including all of the secret stuff and am now on to King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0. I keep saying "ok after this room I'm gonna quit" and then I enter the next room and am all "eh ok just one more"

Also, I ordered a hardcover copy of Master and Commander the other day and it is coming sometime today so yay, a book :) I'm excited to read it.

Other than that, not much is happening. I'm thinking about trying to look into programming because I'm thinking of trying to make KCB a small video game as a gift but the problem is that I don't exactly know what I'm doing, even with tutorials, so I'll probably just end up writing up a design doc, maybe opening up and messing with game maker for a bit, and then not actually accomplish anything lol :rip:

Enough about me tho. How is everybody doing today?

.... AHA That's why it says you're still in DROD even though you told me you finished the game, I was beginning to wonder. :v:

On my end my depression is preventing me from making a bagel so instead I'm watching dumb anime. I'll probably play more Geneforge 3 in a bit - since POOL IS CLOSED is doing an LP of 2 I decided to skip ahead, and I've now got a pet fire-breathing raptor named Duo. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

You have my condolences regarding the depression. It's lovely and I hope you've got coping mechanisms and medication in place to help you with through it.

I still haven't played past the first geneforge game, and I've been meaning to go back to geneforge 1 anyway since I didn't explore everywhere and there were a few places I couldn't go to that I'm curious about.

I do - I've got a therapist and medication and so on in place for the depression so it's not soul-crushing - just annoying. I'm gonna make a bagel sooner or later but the depression won't let me do it now, so.

Here's the fantastic LP of Geneforge 1 that just finished! I'm really happy with how the thread voted, as we got the best ending. (imo)

The games themselves are a weird combo of fun to read and interesting to play but if you do too much at once they turn into a slog, what with the old-school design, so spreading them out is working better for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, the thread sided with and remained loyal to Trajkov? :v:

If I answer that it'll be a spoiler!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been a bit depressed and anxious thanks to the poo poo Trump's been saying in Poland that is like straight up nazi poo poo, openly, but otherwise I've been doing good

I admit I've been actively avoiding the news lately because I can't handle how stressful it is. I don't want us to go to war / destroy the planet / kill millions of people but the idiots in charge apparently want to, so. :ohdear:

Thank god for video games, the best escape.

Someday I'll crack and get Minecraft. You hear so many amazing things about it, but.... it's not on steam and I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the village, villagers will die if left unprotected from zombies and such

my home base, fruit tree grove, and farms, all built on the jungle treetops. It of course started raining right as I went to take a screenshot from below. I challenged myself to collect all the redstone needed to make the blocks to build a road to the village. Built/collected everything else, as well.

Holy flipflops this looks amazing? It looks so colorful and vibrant - !

Note to self: reserve fun budget for Minecraft sooner rather than later.

(also thanks for the political resources - they're useful even if I don't have the stomach to actually go look at 'em)

e: Also because I know you guys are absolutely dying to know, I watched three eps of goofy anime, made two bagels, and feel a lot better!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm starting XCOM 2 again, who wants into my army?

If you need fresh blood put me in?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just freaking lost 900 gyro in Hollow Knight because I was a clumsy fool trying to bounce on the armored bugs to get over the acid pits. :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Did a few quick and dirty XCOM boys before bed.

https://twitter.com/pwnmanexe/status/885403550498598912

I could not be more pleased with Strix.

I'm so pleased! Those owls are as cool as their name~

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I have a potentially hot-button question to ask about Rimworld. A year ago or so RPS posted an article explaining how there were no bi men in Rimworld, and how its in-game humans had a very screwy sexuality and all that.

I also vaguely heard that the guy fixed that up after the uproar?

So, uh - did he? I've played a lot of Prison Architect and I want something... similar but more, and I just got some early birthday present money, and Rimworld might be it.

(Also in advance yes I know this is a dumb issue to get hung up over but I might be about to spend thirty bucks and I do care about decent portrayals of gender in videogames, especially given that this one advertises watching romances happen amongst your colonists.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

Is it worth dropping $60 on Battletech for the beta? Note: I love Battletech.

Not that I know of. The only thing fixed was a "gaydar" where gay characters are less likely to try romancing non-gay characters, the potentially catastrophic issue that lead to someone wanting to figure out how the gently caress relationships in the game worked. The dude defended his decisions as being both thematic to the harsh survival nature of the world and also his own personal experiences and observations.

My rule of thumb, if you ever hesitate to support someone you feel uncomfortable about then don't. Play Dwarf Fortress instead

Hrmmmmmm. Great.

I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning, because my craving for that type of gameplay is getting pretty intense. And I hear you on Dwarf Fortress, but I can't grok the UI in it despite multiple attempts with tutorials, LPs, and so on. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

This being "no woman is completely straight + men are all either 100% straight or 100% gay", right?

Yep.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Reminds me of how in Dead Island one of the protagonists has a skill that makes the team members do more damage to the opposite sex and it was called "feminist whore" in the code :rolleyes:

I think that the actual game should be judged by how it actually plays out in practice and not what's under the hood, but what it says about the developer themselves is definitely important. Like the Dead Island thing, that code is there telling what's actually going on as well as the opinions of those who coded it, and you can't hide it from people who pry the game open.

It's very much a case of "am I comfortable paying for/playing a game made by a person who offends me" - like reading Orson Scott Card or similar things. So - I have to decide with myself if I'm comfortable with it or not. Thanks for answering my question, al-azad!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

And the conclusion to my Rimworld waffling: I decided screw it, I wanted to play it, and bought it...and an hour later decided it wasn't for me. Like, I enjoyed the basic set up the rooms and stuff, but when it came to building more I felt "...do I have to" and managing heat and - well! When the goal is survival instead of running a prison apparently I'm not compelled enough to dig in. So I requested a refund, and we'll see if I get the urge to get it later in the future.

Funny how the brain reacts to different games, tho. This one works and is fun, but this one doesn't, because... reasons.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What's a good video game for me to play ??

Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Mega Man is so much nothing to me. I have no history with it.

If you want something like Mega Man but modern and indie, try Copy Kitty then!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

They are nothing alike other than shooting lasers.

Ehhh I disagree, but okay.

Play Shovel Knight, it's also modern and indie and Megaman-y. And very good!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I mentioned maybe wanting Kerbal Space Program to my dad as I was considering what I wanted for my birthday and as soon as he heard "mostly realistic rocket builder" he lit right up and got it for me as an early gift! :3:

He loves gizmos and gadgets and building things and I wish I could convince him to play this game himself because I could see him digging into it a ton.

Ah well. For now I need to learn rocket science the fun way so I can show him my rockets!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/886626618537639938

The fate of the gamedev is a harsh one....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh thank god we're back to talking kirby

Kirby's probably the cutest video game mascot I've seen

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Can I report a video game for stealing my time?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Coming from Unormal this is fair, because his game has some super OP stuff in it that's never been fixed and even when he tries it's usually in a conditional, very light-handed way that can easily be worked around.

Coming from most gamedevs though this would be laughably dumb.

Oh absolutely. Caves of Qud needs really careful balancing, and while I will always lament the nerf to short blades, it makes sense - there was no reason to pick anything else, ever.

Also I love that they nerfed mass mind by literally coding in another dimension.

The joke is still good too :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RedBardIsCool/status/886972095812562944

As I never finish videogames I don't understand this feeling but the gif is too good not to share

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

an actual dog posted:

After Ghost in the Shell remake bombed I don't think we're gonna see anything else like it anytime soon.

god I hope so

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"you have played factorio for 94 minutes"

what the heck that felt like twenty minutes at most?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I smoked too much weed this weekend and my brain is still recovering. I want to play a game of some kind but I'm definitely not at full capacity, what's a good one for me right now?

Everything!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

They're like a small, but drawn-out, arguments between significant others.

I legit cracked up at this, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/joffeorama/status/887444897120124929

:allears: I love old games

• Locked thread