Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think the xbox one is getting any big games that won't come out on windows 10 that aren't halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem with the walking dead s2 and, i'm assuming based on what i've heard, s3, is that telltale's become less committed to telling a story about people in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and more about telling a story about how hosed up the zombie apocalypse world is which has basically turned it into a constant parade of characters dying before they can even begin to have arcs through the power of being ginormous loving dumbasses at the stupidest times. characters in twds1 would make insanely loving stupid decisions at times but it was always when they were under ridiculous pressure and everything was going to hell and they couldn't think straight, characters they gave you the option to save always ended up getting pretty good fleshing out before getting bumped off for good and it never felt like people were just dropping like flies for no reason.

contrast it with season 2 and wow, uh, all of these survivors sure are making the stupidest possible decisions for no explicable reason, and have almost zero memorable personality traits or scenes, and sure do basically exist as human zombies if you choose to save them because they're not actually trying to think of ways to flesh them out if they don't die at the first possible scene. it's impossible to even begin to like the characters who don't die immediately, because some of them are just written weirdly inconsistently in a way that is very clearly reactionary to how people responded to them as the episodes were coming out, and others exist to get mad at a little kid for not eating at the lunch table with them. literally the most consistent and interesting character in season 2 is a character from season 1 that they constantly try to show you is loving nuts, but at the same time, he is like, consistently the only character who is not a complete dumbass and is not constantly a horrible poo poo to a little girl.

the telltale formula itself is fine, i avoided their games for a while cause twd s2 was one of the most disappointing games i've ever played and the wolf among us got really blegh towards the end, but i really really loved tales from the borderlands because that felt like a complete, interesting story with fun characters that actually went literally anywhere by the end. it's just a matter of a lot of teltale's newer games being really really badly written

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

OneDeadman posted:

ZX Advent was a p good megaman.

inti creates is like the one dev that actually decided to do literally anything to change up mega man in remotely interesting ways, and still continue to be with mighty gunvolt burst

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm happy for new snk, i am glad they have been reborn into a good video game company again and wish them luck in future releases

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Might Gunvolt Burst is pretty sick. More Mighty No. 9 games please!

remember to support all future Good No. 9 games by purchasing copies of gal gun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

How do you get to anime heaven?

you spend years of your life learning japanese and doing english subtitled lps of obscure japanese games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i played wasteland 2 for forty minutes on a free weekend and then realized i never wanted to play it again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

Is Wasteland 2 that bad? Like how does it compare to Fallout 2?

it seemed like something someone who's really into crpgs might like but yeah, as said it felt very blandly written and did not give me anything to hook me into continuing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my take on atb is that i don't really like it and i think it just serves to try and spice up a really standard and not that inherently interesting combat system but i forgive it because ffvii and ix are pretty good and pretty easy anyway

i'm almost done with ffix and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN5tgkoSKFU

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 12, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe it's different in some other games but in ff7 and 9 wait doesn't actually disable the active time stuff, it just pauses while you select items and spells, which tbh isn't a huge change because there's still all the delays between selecting something and it being used

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

You think Sephiroth is just gonna sit and wait for you to use Omnislash? He has no time for games.

i mean maybe he should wait if he's just gonna die from a counterattack anyway. you didn't really think that through, seph

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't imagine a less interesting skill to develop than rapid menu navigation.

it's more about putting pressure on you to decide on items and abilities but in effect it just means you use up more hi-potions from auto-potion if you don't select an ability fast enough

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

a horse falling out of a plane? what anime is that from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w&t=61s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

I finished Ulmeyda's level in Killer7 last night, and I forgot how ridiculous his boss model/animation is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5DXiFZPIM

he just kinda shuffles at you

it's one of the best chapters in the entire game. ulmeyda's fight and the scene leading up to it are some of the best stuff in any game suda's made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember seeing people back in 2010 saying we were basically hitting the limits of graphical technology for video games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat a hard run of mega man zx i started months ago.

i'm free.

also serpent on zx hard is maybe the genuinely most challenging boss in like any mega man game, i've ever played, ever. zx has issues but, i'll give it props for one really loving good second-to-last fight

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

OneDeadman posted:

Now play Zx Advent

i don't have the energy for that, i need to rest for a few years

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lurdiak are your standards for a bad fighting game just "is anime" because wtf the people i know who are super critical on fight games love uniel and melty

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hm... i'm gonna have to side with science room tron bonne on this battle

it's hosed up that the misadventures of tron bonne is a better designed game than mega man legends 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Hmmm nah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've decided lurdiak is wrong about the melty blood soundtrack

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Someone give me sage advice so I can win a game of PUBG

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
only the joke endings of bb are canon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fak why did you bring up american gundam without mentioning the important part, that it's piloted by a blue-haired boxer named chibodee crocket who has an entourage of women and is deeply afraid of clowns because he was kidnapped by clowns with guns when he went to a circus performance as a child

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
disappointingly i do not get the cagliostro from the anime written by the writer of wild arms

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like most of miyazaki's stuff but lol at trying to own someone for just not really caring for them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm a miyazaki movie, actually

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best movie ever made is rockman.exe: hikari to yami no program

it even has bass in it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is me playing video games competitively against other people having a good time with my friends

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Palpek posted:

Castle of Cagliostro is worth watching because a lot of well known hollywood directors were heavily inspired by its action sequences (especially the car chase).

guess it's time for the live-action hollywood remake

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Palpek posted:

I'm still surprised they didn't already do this to Akira after that Kanye West music video.

they've been trying to do it for years and every time it comes back up it immediately gets shot right back down lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he wasn't. he turned it down

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
god hand is the most finished a non-resident evil mikami game has felt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ffvii is a good game orv

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

I want to I just don't know when that's going to happen. It's hard to keep track of everything that's coming out later this year and lists don't help because they never include all the niche poo poo I care about, like the six?!!! falcom games that are supposed to come out in the next few months

please don't remind me that xseed is strategically nuking my bank account, maybe aksys too

thankfully i don't care enough about ys viii to buy it yet but, ys seven, tokyo xanadu, zwei 2, trails of cold steel... it's gonna be a hell of a summer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A reminder that Ubisoft's last Tetris release could not hold a stable frame rate, had multiple severe crash bugs, did not correctly model piece behavior preventing you from slotting pieces in circumstances where they should have fit, and required you to log into UPlay

thank you ubi

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Huh really? Ys Seven is kinda lame but its cool its coming out on PC. Unless....is Dot Emu doing the port....

i doubt xseed would license ports out to them, last time they put out a broken port on steam little king's story bombed as hard as xanadu next and ys seven is a much bigger title with a bigger audience so they're probably doing all they can to make sure it's actually worth buying.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
none of those are ports!!! four of the upcoming falcom games on pc are ports, but i think it's safe to say they'll all be fine because again, ys seven is a big release and they've shown gameplay that looked fine, and the rest are either ps4 games, built on an engine designed with pc releases in mind, or both

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cold steel's port will be fine, the engine cold steel was built on was programmed with the pc in mind in the first place so if durante is overseeing it there are basically no worries. otherwise, tokyo xanadu and ys viii are ps4 games so they shouldn't be hard to port for companies with comparatively more resources, and zwei 2 is a pc game with a compatibility update for newer versions of windows already

• Locked thread