Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
This company does the most incredibly stupid things when they record months of TV at a time.

My favorite is still when they used Hernandez in every main-event-adjacent angle in the company without realizing he was still under contract with LU and had to trash all the footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

They knew going into this that ADR was a liability.

y'know you say that, but...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grack posted:

Any more washed up WWE guys they can sign? What's Ryback up to these days?

Selling steroids supplements on Twitter

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

grack posted:

Any more washed up WWE guys they can sign? What's Ryback up to these days?

https://twitter.com/Oatgan/status/884445539038875648

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's TNA, so ADR's domestic violence troubles will be used to get him even more massively over than ever before

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jason Sextro posted:

It's TNA, so ADR's domestic violence troubles will be used to get him even more massively over than ever before

GFW*

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

"wow, look at all these people talking about our gfw world champion, this is great for our brand" - jeff jarrett, probably

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

John Dudebro posted:

"wow, look at all these people talking about our gfw world champion, this is great for our brand" - jeff jarrett, probably

except the TMZ article doesn't mention GFW at all. Oops.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

John Dudebro posted:

Remember, this is the company that, after the Benoit murder-suicide, decided a great way to draw attention to itself was to hire Pacman Jones, who was fresh off of a police investigation for a shooting in a nightclub.

...and then the media all said that the relationship was worse for Pacman Jones than it was for TNA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

grack posted:

Remember, this is the company that, after the Benoit murder-suicide, decided a great way to draw attention to itself was to hire Pacman Jones, who was fresh off of a police investigation for a shooting in a nightclub.

...and then the media all said that the relationship was worse for Pacman Jones than it was for TNA.

Pfft those two are unrelated.

The real way they drew attention to themselves after Benoit was demanding Congress investigate them too!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Remember when they responded to the WWE banning chairshots to the head by having a guy get blasted with one so hard that it made him bleed?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

this is still the most hilarious thing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rhonne posted:

Remember when they responded to the WWE banning chairshots to the head by having a guy get blasted with one so hard that it made him bleed?

Remember how they got a network edict against man on woman violence and they responded by powerbombin Dixie through a table. That was advertised. With network execs in the audience. And then it didn't even air on the network.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DJExile posted:

Closely followed by his debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lij0ffK72x0

Mike Tenay can't get the crowd excited at all, Pacman Jones looks like he's about to fall asleep, and R-Truth cuts a promo that's entirely about how Pacman can't wrestle because of a restraining order.

Pacman's entrance song is really good, though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

"skippys been dropping beats since before he was beating his meat" - ryback on this week's edition of his awful podcast

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

Domestic violence? Congratulations. He will carry the TNAGFW brand into the future

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Remember how they got a network edict against man on woman violence and they responded by powerbombin Dixie through a table. That was advertised. With network execs in the audience. And then it didn't even air on the network.

I'm almost positive it aired. If memory serves the show was live

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Didn't they try calling it national "put your boss through a table" day or something stupid like that. And like, they wanted their fans to talk about beating up their own bosses on twitter too?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

exploded mummy posted:

Man that's not even in the top five of dumb passive aggressive poo poo they did to networks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

Del Rio's new theme music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPYBJdj6yn0

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

coconono posted:

except the TMZ article doesn't mention GFW at all. Oops.

so

rebranding yourself twice in the space of months is bad for brand awareness?

good to know good to know...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ed: I'm dumb, thought we were talking about the Hernandez stuff airing

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 11, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

I'm almost positive it aired. If memory serves the show was live

They aired it partially, but the actual violence against Dixie was cut.

Rhonne posted:

Didn't they try calling it national "put your boss through a table" day or something stupid like that. And like, they wanted their fans to talk about beating up their own bosses on twitter too?

Yes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man that's not even in the top five of dumb passive aggressive poo poo they did to networks

Yeah but secretly hring Vince Russo and then lying about it is old

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Or the time that she insulted the VP of Discovery and CC'd him on it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At some point she really should have delegated the "doing emails" part of her job

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

This company does the most incredibly stupid things when they record months of TV at a time.

My favorite is still when they used Hernandez in every main-event-adjacent angle in the company without realizing he was still under contract with LU and had to trash all the footage.

Which led to them having to dissolve the BDC stable and costing MVP and Kenny King their jobs.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

They'll probably redub some commentary to be all "if there were a restraining order, Alberto El Patron would be violating it right now!"

And then they'll gently caress up and insert it into a midcard match by accident anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The real way they drew attention to themselves after Benoit was demanding Congress investigate them too!

I forgot this bit. TNA had to admit that they drug tested the roster, at least a full third of them were found to be on illicit substances and that they didn't do a goddamned thing about it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah but secretly hring Vince Russo and then lying about it is old

I am not sure that can ever stop being funny actually

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

grack posted:

I forgot this bit. TNA had to admit that they drug tested the roster, at least a full third of them were found to be on illicit substances and that they didn't do a goddamned thing about it.

Then Andrew Martin came by for a cup of coffee and died. Oops.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

grack posted:

Was this the same testimony where Dixie called TNA fans neckbeards for buying TNA action figures?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was this the same testimony where Dixie called TNA fans neckbeards for buying TNA action figures?

Like in The 40 Year Old Virgin, yes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DJExile posted:

Could be worse, they could have referred to him as "Former WWE superstar Pacman Jones".

exploded mummy posted:

Or the time that she insulted the VP of Discovery and CC'd him on it

This one remains my absolute favorite. It's just so mindbogglingly stupid, and it's not even directly related to wrestling. It makes me imagine what kind of gently caress-ups Dixie would have in other fields. Like, imagine her being the manager of a restaurant.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Grendels Dad posted:

Could be worse, they could have referred to him as "Former WWE superstar Pacman Jones".

This one remains my absolute favorite. It's just so mindbogglingly stupid, and it's not even directly related to wrestling. It makes me imagine what kind of gently caress-ups Dixie would have in other fields. Like, imagine her being the manager of a restaurant.

Dixie would be the perfect "crying because I don't know what's wrong" restaurant owner in a Kitchen Nightmares episode.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rhonne posted:

As well as that disgusting skit with Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan, and I think Ric Flair all making fun of the "TNA Doctor" for suggesting that concussions were a bad thing and maybe some people should take some time off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As well as that disgusting skit with Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan, and I think Ric Flair all making fun of the "TNA Doctor" for suggesting that concussions were a bad thing and maybe some people should take some time off.

What's really amazing about that is there have been at least a few times on WCW and WWE that Eric as either an announcer or manager has talked about how bad concussions can be and how you become more susceptible to them after you have one. I re-watched the old NWO Souled Out PPV a few weeks ago and he went on about it for like 5 minutes. It was surreal to hear.

E: I mean yeah I get that he's playing a scummy character in most of his skits because he's really good at that, but it's kinda funny in the bigger context

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dumb poo poo TNA has done(the hits):
-somehow convinced Chris Rock to make an appearance. I couldn't tell if he was terrified or confused. Same for the crowd.
-Dixie getting mad because they couldn't get Vanilla Ice
-Dutch Mantell declaring there would be no booked finishes by submission
-drawing a dick on Samoa Joe's face
-hiring Taz
-hiring Vince Russo. 3 times.
-Billy Corgan.
-a reverse battle royal
-a women's reverse battle royal
-a reverse ladder match
-dixie vs email
-russo vs email

I'm still impressed the Ultimate X rigging hasn't fallen onto the audience or collapsed. Same for that terrordome cage thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

-somehow convinced Chris Rock to make an appearance. I couldn't tell if he was terrified or confused. Same for the crowd.
-hiring Taz
-Billy Corgan.
-a reverse battle royal
-a reverse ladder match
-dixie vs email
-russo vs email

I'm still impressed the Ultimate X rigging hasn't fallen onto the audience or collapsed. Same for that terrordome cage thing.

Chris Rock was filming a movie and the script called for a scene at a wrestling event, he was able to use TNA with an appearance as an exchange.

They hired Russo at least 5 times.

Once before they opened, then after his two week WWE stint in 2002, then as an on screen presence only, then as a writer in 06 and finally in secret.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

coconono posted:

-hiring Taz
-Billy Corgan.
-a reverse battle royal
-a reverse ladder match
-dixie vs email
-russo vs email

-Nobody figuring out that Jeff Hardy was way, way too hosed up to wrestle at a PPV until he was already at the ring
-Jenna Morasca vs. Sharmell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

grack posted:

-Nobody figuring out that Jeff Hardy was way, way too hosed up to wrestle at a PPV until he was already at the ring
-Jenna Morasca vs. Sharmell

Oh they knew, their solution was "do a one minute match." This was also not the first time he'd been in no condition to perform the day of the show.

• Locked thread