Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Emille

HP: 6/10
Initiative: 6
Defense: Parry[3d6]
Pyromancy [3d6], Acrobatics [2d6], Adventuring Knowhow [1d6]
Ignite/Quench [3d6], Radiance [2d6], Arquebus [1d6]
The Master's Mark (chocolate): [spent/unspent]
Items: +1 Ring (+1 to a single action every turn), Proud of Being Mentored, Miniature Planet (Plop a full sized planet somewhere)

Emille smirked at the old man, who seemed about as old as Marius, "What? None for me?" She turned away from the other delvers and the old downer to speak with Marius.

"So what was he talking about, master? He was obviously talking to you."
"Nothing I wish to speak of." A sigh. "Though if It is going to do this, perhaps it would be better if you heard it from me."
"Oooh, stories of my mysterious benefactor's past! Lemme guess, is it how you lost the eye and got that nasty scar?"
"No. That, um, came after"
"Hmm, okay. Is it how you came to be in your current, weird state?"
"That is part of it, but endless aging wasn't the cost I paid. Forgive me, but I...need a moment. I have never told this story before and I want to make sure I tell it right."

Emille was amazed, this was out of the ordinary. The old man was secretive, some times irritatingly so. She had no idea where he was born, why he had a black eye and paper white skin, or even how old he was. While she eagerly awaited Marius's tale, she turned back around to appraise the other people with her. Odd, they weren't the people she had come in with. A dwarf and some kind of aristocratic looking woman, who looked vaguely familiar. She approached the other woman and performed the requisite bows and curtsies before speaking.

"Hello, my name is Emille Addison, adventurer. This may seem silly, but have I seen you somewhere before?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

[Wave 1]
[Floor Three - The City of Ruin]



[Goblin One Battalion]
With electric plasma arcing across the sky, the Goblins considered the ascent before them with no small amount of unease.
Quickly, though certainly not unanimously, it was decided that a few would be sacrificed for the good of the whole, in the hopes that this might stave the lightnings fury. All settled, they charged out into the fury of the storm...

Makeshift Lightning Gob Rod Formation: (15) vs Made out of Lightning: = 18 (Failure! Oh no! Bad stuff happens!)



Only to be met by the fury of the storm. Shaky hands and poorly thought out ideas manifested in a spectacular bout of bad judgement, sending shock waves (quiet literally) throughout the goblin continuum.

[Failure! Ouch! Your Terrible Arm Spasms and Bad Engineering have been struck by lightning, morphing into a Mad Scientist Goblin! The Mad Scientist Goblin grants you a -3d6 demerit to sensible actions for as long as his insensible appetites remain unsated, by the virtue of his magitechnobabble alone!]


"Keahahahahaha!"

--

Now more crazed then ever, the horde tried to assemble for one last push into the clouds, suffering continued strikes from the angry clouds as they did so.

An Indeterminate Number of Lives [5d6] + Proud: of the Overlord [1d6]: 5d6+1d6 21 vs Made out of Lightning (And More Lightning, And Debris As Well): 5d6+1d6+1d6 29 = Failure! 2 damage taken!

Goblin Ladder Formation: 12 + Proud: Of the Overlord: 4 = 18 vs Made out of Lightning: = 19 = Partial Failure!



Pushed on by the gestalt, the flashes and bangs of the outrageous calamity all around them and a mad scientist in their midst, the goblins clung to each other like Teflon to a balloon, using their own smouldering corpses as stepping stones and anchor points to reach for the heavens.

[One point of unavoidable damage taken!]

But they refused to give up, and soon the portal was within reach. The few remaining goblins leapt, just as the storm around them began to coalesce...

Diluted Curse (1: bad, 2, good, 3 good): 1d3 = 2

Into yet another surge, the wind-draft of which gave them the last boost they so desperately needed. The outstretched hand of a goblin reached the very edge of the portal - and just like that they were through.

[Success! Congratulations! You made it to the next floor!]

---

[Cue]
All things considered, Cue was having the time of his life. He was going fast, he was destroying things, and more importantly, he was ruining things for everyone else. He was not about to let some little storm stop him from doing that, which is why he continued.

Troublesome 15 vs Made out of Architecture (- Worthless Stone) + (- Storm of Decay): = 5 = Success!

No, he made sure his flight path, though seemingly random, when put together with the many crumbling bits of masonry and the lightning that shot out of the sky and arced from his spherical form and from thence to the ground, would spell out a most demotivating message to anyone bright enough to try to follow him.

[Success! You have added a +1d6 Demoralizing threshold to getting through the portal for everyone behind you in initiative! Additionally, you are sustained for this turn!]

Satisfied with his work, he zoomed away once more, hoping to this time thread the veritable needle.

Telekinesis: (11) vs Made out of Lightning: = 17 (Failure!)

But luck was not on his side.

Always out of reach: 5d6 14 vs Made out of Lightning (And More Lightning, And Debris As Well): 5d6+1d6+1d6 15 = Failure! One damage taken!



Swatted out of the sky, the magic hate ball landed in a puddle of semi-liquid glass embedded in concrete, there left to contemplate the presumable end of his days.

--

[King Norman]
King Norman was not feeling well, Sceptre could tell. The King had ordered him to slaughter the Dungeon Owners Landshare, but there was no dungeon owner in sight. There never had been. And landshares were a pretty nebulous concept in and of themselves, but he had been given his task and he was not one to shirk his royal duties. He switched into his best ectoplasmatic suit and set to work...



Destroy the Concept of Land Ownership: 29 vs The Concept of Value: 0d6 = 0 = Error! Value Null!

... doing absolutely nothing. This world had no other entities inside of it. It was devoid of both worth and life. Even with an ironclad case, there was no one to argue against and so he stood motionless, staring into an abyss that was only his own.

--

The King drooled slightly out of the corner of his mouth as his eyes rolled into the back of his head. A Capybara on its throne.
Math pouring out of the royal ears like blood. He clawed at the numbers with fingers of formulae, but it would not cease.
He sang the true value of Pi, but it would not relent. He sat in a ditch as lightning struck all around him, a broken king.

[Error: Attack does not exist.]

Made out of Lightning (And More Lightning, And Debris As Well): 5d6+1d6+1d6 23 vs [Not Applicable] = 4 damage taken!

--

[Wave 1-a]
[The Stairwell]



[Goblin-One-Battalion]
You emerge, half dead and half crazed in the stairwell. The portal behind you snapping shut like jaws, leaving a comical puff of smoke as the only evidence that it ever existed.
You wait for a moment to see if the sphere would follow you, but when it does not you simply shrug and keep on moving.

You do not know how long it takes you to reach the next floor. An hour, maybe two? With no passing sun to gauge against and with your senses scrambled by high energy discharges, there is simply no way to tell.
Eventually, you do get there however. Like before a wall set with doors, yet this time instead of one or two there are three.

One door is barred, adorned with a strange black and yellow sign showing the image of a man being chased by... a cone?


One door is painted green, adorned with a strange black and yellow sign showing the image of a man choking.


One door is plain, adorned with a strange black and yellow sign showing an incomprehensible squiggle.


You may only pass through one door. But which door shall it be?

---

[Wave 1-b]
[Floor Three - The City of Ruin]



[Cue, Norman]
The Storm grows ever more powerful. The very earth shakes in terror. Buildings collapse, covering the world with dust. Glass falls from the sky, from the sides and from the ground, crystalline javelins shooting through meters of concrete.
Gravity strains and groans and the pressure just. keeps. on. building. The roads are melting. Vehicles big and small explode around you, sending shards of red hot metal at supersonic speeds across the landscape, and the portal...

The portal is closing.

Spectre, ever the loyal Guardian snaps out of his reverie and looks to the blubbering meat-sack that is his master, and from the master to the egotistical disruptor, an orb of unknown origin who for his own amusement would doom them all.
With heavy steps, impossible against the apocalypse happening all around him, he picks up both King and Orb and holds them high onto the heavens by the scruff of their neck equivalents.


"Release them" he sighed into the howling wind.

They do not deserve it, did no one reply.





















---

[King Norman]
You wake up in the stairwell, in front of the door you entered to get to the city. The door is however, forever barred for you. Your clothes are in tatters and your crown, missing. When you call upon Sceptre, he does not respond.
He likewise is lost to you. You begin the slow and agonizing ascent back up the stairs. When you return to the surface however, you find that your Kingdom is nowhere to be seen.



You have failed in your trials and have been ejected.

---

[Cue]
You wake up in the stairwell, in front of the door you entered to get to the city. The door is however, forever barred for you. You shake in frustration and find small comfort in your oracles window when the Glitchie Glyph pops up in reply
So, they are still with you after all. You could release them, if you wish. Let them loose upon the world. Or you could carry them with you, another prisoner in the unicorn ivory shell you call home.

Rolling back up the stairs with not a care in the world, Cue was sure to end up somewhere exiting, even if it wasn't the place he had entered. He was getting bored of the dungeon anyway, the real adventure was sure to be over the next horizon.



You have failed in your trials and have been ejected.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

...

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

...

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!

Grimey Drawer

Molriir Hearthstone
HP: 10
Initiative: 16
Skills: Educated Dwarf [3d6], Hearthstone [4d6].
Power: *Superior Quality Repeating Crossbow* [3d6]
Defense: Unbelievably Stubborn [5d6]
Inventory: Backpack o' stuff (delicious rations, oil, rum, etc.), Hearthstone Shield (+1d6 to a Defense against physical dangers - any nearby stone receives increased durability and tensile strength).



"Otch. I s'pose I asked fer this," said Molriir, rubbing his beard as he frowned at the strange vista before them after having listened to the shade's speech. While the Duchess and the new human woman - a Magi of sorts? - began to chat, the dwarf turned in the direction of the phantom and a note of bravado crept into his voice.

"But I've Betrayed naught but beliefs I ken to be wrong. I ken that it's said t' be best fer Orth t' stay in Orthn halls, t' build an' be productive an' give 'ardly a toss about th' chaos o' the world above fer nothin' good will come o' it... but tha' be a terrible shade o' truth, and nae e'en th' half o' it. I've learned th' value in o'ers. I've found gems in the rough and diamonds cut sharp, enough t' stand out from any amount o' dross. We'd stand stronger t'gether with o'ers, e'en humans, if we're t' build a better Orth fer ourselves. O' that utility, if nae else, I hope t' convince me kin, if they will but hear me."

Dwarf Educated to boost Hearthstone: 6 vs HS 14

The dwarf seemed uncertain on that last point, and he knew it. It was a pretty big 'if' to go against hundreds, thousands, of years of tradition and 'ken' on the mere argument that improvements in their way of life could be made. The old ways were the best - had stood the test of time - and though he had found a new way to relate with the world, how could he possibly reconcile that way with the needs of his clan and people? If he lost that point... they'd never accept his arguments, nor would they accept that his decades-long journey had had any value. Dross, all of it, in their eyes. That would certainly sting... but Molriir wasn't going to give up that easily. He just couldn't take heart in knowing how to best employ the arguments of his people back against them.

"Now, ye say nae anythin' matters? Well, I see nae point in yer sufferin', too. Twisted like wrung roots, far beyond what ye aught stand, but like all lost souls, endurin' still. 'tis nae right, was never, and fie on that which made it so. Ye called us all by cryptic names, though, and if ye spake true, then ye must see beyond this space in some regard, or be further slaved to that which does. What be yer true nature, shade? Can ye e'en tell?"

Hearthstone to make the phantom speak earnestly about itself: 16

Molriir faces High Resistance, whatever that means.

Meeting on the path: Molriir sees all his kin walking on an opposite parallell path, in a different direction, but they are stoically ignoring him as they pass. Even his parents shame him by indicating that he is nothing in their eyes, not even worthy a response - an exile in truth and entirely unwanted. Will his steadfast nature hold true in the face of the full, absolute measure of scorn he'd feared to face at his return?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



King Norman

"What do you mean no owner?" The king asked Scepter while thinking about the probability of the truth. "Are you 100% sure? Or 99%?"

Scepter nods with confident that there is no owner in this abandoned land.

"Fine." The king said with losing interest. "If there's no challenge here puzzle my amazing 1000% powered brain, then I shall take 100% ownership of this place.

Norman raise the bone of the capybara, the curse of numbers and facts.

King's Dominion: 11

Then with all his capabara gained energy, stab that cursed bone into the ground. Spreading the curse of Numbers and facts this land, and then to this world. The land become calculable, the weather become predictable, the exit is a fact, and thus can be calculated with through mathematics and factoid of the world.

King's Dominion: 10

Only one person in this world have the mind to compute the facet of this world. The one who is cursed with the intellect of a capybara. There is nothing that can't be computed. The soil level of the land, the probability certainty of lightning strike, the structure integrate of each building. All presented as facts to its new owner who can access their numbers and simulate the world in his mind. Can the king control the numbered-cursed weather as they are mere number that can be manipulated? Either way, the King know where the lightning strike and where the exit is. So he can leave with 11* 10 = 110% certainty.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


Nyaa posted:

King Norman

"What do you mean no owner?" The king asked Scepter while thinking about the probability of the truth. "Are you 100% sure? Or 99%?"

Scepter nods with confident that there is no owner in this abandoned land.

"Fine." The king said with losing interest. "If there's no challenge here puzzle my amazing 1000% powered brain, then I shall take 100% ownership of this place.

Norman raise the bone of the capybara, the curse of numbers and facts.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

[King Norman]

...

You have failed in your trials and have been ejected.
yer ded

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



I am free!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Spindel-08]

Spindel-08 climbed up and onto the exterior podium and hissed at the stranger, claiming his territory definitively. It took no action just yet, only extended its "fangs" and gestured into the inner chamber. It naturally had no idea what the buttons did or which would be the optimal choice, but its decision algorithms selected from the two at random and opted to make a show of force. As for the buttons, there was only one obvious choice. ___ A man, dying. ___ Anything else was outrageous.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...


Goblin-One-Battalion
HP : 3

Initiative: 12
Inventory: Knighthood Medal (+1d6 to a roll if it complies with the king's wishes), Diluted Curse (Cloudy with a chance of Dragons)

Woundshame: MAD GOBLIN SCIENTIST (-3d6 to any non-mad science related activity)
Prouds: Explosives Expert (+1d6 to explosive-related activities), Of the Overlord (+1d6 to ???)

Defense: An Indeterminate Number of Lives [5d6]
Skills: Be Everywhere [3d6] / Goblin Formations [3d6]
Powers: Overwhelm with Numbers [4d6]
Talent: [spent/unspent]
AI Action: Survive at all costs, if survival is currently guaranteed, loot and eat in equal measures.

The goblins look at their options, only moderately distracted by the ramblings of their newly-insane fragment. They've pretty much had it with storms, so the figure running from the tornado is right out, and they don't much like their odds in a maze with their mental functions impaired, so they pick the door with the man choking. They hope it allows them an opportunity to choke the, frankly, quite irritating mad scientist tagging along with them right now.

They find themselves in an odd situation with a weird... Metal spider thing seemingly threatening a mysteriously indistinct figure to get inside a chamber. Quickly assessing the situation, the goblins decide the sanest course of action is to-

MAD SCIENCE INTERRUPT

The mad scientist goblin quickly decides this MUST be some sort of treasure transmutation machine, for some reason? He pushes past the bizarrely indistinct stranger and tosses a replaceable goblin into the inner chamber, yelling at him to press the button with the treasure on it.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

[Floor #] [The Chamber]

[Spindel, Unknown Deepdelver, Goblin-One-Battalion]


Spindel raises its mechanical fangs in a menacing display, urging the unknown deepdelver chamberwards, however before he can lure his prey to certain doom or profit, a goblin appears as if out of thin air next to the pair.
And then another.
And then another.
And then another.



An army of Goblins pour out of nothing and into the room at large, nearly filling it up before the onslaught ceases. Spindel defends its turf diligently, spraying poison or venom or toxins or whatever it is mechim spray in self-defense.
The goblins keep their distance. All but one, a certifiably mad scientist goblin for whom deadly diseases is all part and parcel of its insane day to day affairs.


"Ahahahahaha, a spider! How unusual! Aahehehehekek!" "I like the cut of your JIBS spiderling! Yes yes! SOFT MEAT should go into the chamber, disposable! yes yes! GET IN THERE, HOGGLE!!"

He jabs a random goblin with his pointy, acid burnt glove to get its attention, and then pushes it bodily into the chamber whilst at the same time rushing to the lever to close the door.

"LETS SCIENCE!" "GET TREASURE FOR GOBLIN HORDE!!"

--

With a great clank, the chamber seals itself from the outside, leaving poor, drafted Hoggle all alone with his thoughts.
The goblins outside were either waving or cheering him on, but for once in his life he could not feel the great weight of their thoughts and desires pressing down on him from all directions. In here, he realized, he was truly free.

Hoggle looked down at his options and was at a total loss. Man dying, Machine Dying, Portal or Treasure. What could it mean? The madgoblin who shoved him in here had wanted treasure, but what if the button meant turning INTO treasure?
What would that be like, anyway? Would he have to loot himself? And who was to say who or what the buttons actually affected, if they even did anything at all?
Hoggle supposed the only way to be sure was to press one and find out, but allowed himself the secret pleasure of selfishness in solicitude, reveling in his indecision and silence.

--

Spindel wiggled his mandibles most villainously and step-danced on the outside console, making sure to put all of its not considerable weight on one button marked for man-death.
The podium powered down, sending a shower of sparks down the wire and into the machine which at once began thrumming with life.

--

Hoggle peered out of the little chamber window at his friends, foes and colleagues. Deepdelvers one and all. The lights came on in the chamber and with them, the buttons on his console lit up and became usable.
Wondering if he ever really had a choice to begin with, the lone Goblins hand hovers over the button marked with treasure, leaning slightly to the side to once more look out the window to see if he couldn't just get a clue as to what the others had pressed.
But no, the room was much to cleverly designed, and offered no vantage that could convey their decision. The spider-thing was dancing, that much was evident, and the unknown deepdelver was standing well back, content to let the others deal with things. And the goblins, well, they were goblins. Busy trying to eat the floor or collapse back into a singular entity if only to spare the fragments some peace of mind from the inane chattering of the scientist.

No, he reasoned; it WAS his choice. Even if that choice was to obey.

--

From outside, all the deepdelvers could see of the chamber was a lone, seated Goblin looking thoughtful, before making a gesture compatible with that of pressing a button, though which one they could not tell.
Almost immediately after, a small implosion rocked the outside deepdelvers into a sudden daze, as a space where naught had been spontaneously turned itself into treasure.



Real, honest-to-goodness, pirate-buried gold-bullion! Ornate goblets, sparkling gems and pearl necklaces overflowing out of a ornately bound, solid oaken chest.
A small fortune in any world that still dealt with rare metals and precious stones for their bartering economy. The Unknown Deepdelver immediately sprang upon it, intent to claim it for his own.

Claiming the Treasure: 1d100 = 50

[Success? The wave gains the item: An Actual Treasure Chest! - It is worth a small fortune, but has no other real use. To claim it, roll 1d100, highest roll wins!]

After the chaos of the gold-rush abided, the outside deepdelvers deigned spare a glance towards the chamber....



... where poor Hoggle was busy viscerously, violently liquefying.

After two minutes of watching in silent horror as the rapidly dissolving but somehow still living corpse-to-be violently flailed against the unbreakable glass window of its confinement cell, the thrashing finally died down.
The chamber, now a gore-filled nightmare with great smatterings of blood and guts lining every surface, fills with a blue gas which leaves it spotless, after which the door to the chamber opens and the floor, for all intents and purposes, is reset.

[Goblin-One-Battalion takes 1 unavoidable damage as part of them is stripped away forever.]

--

[Elsewhere]


You had only been gone a few days. To visit your relative, to hunt, to go camping, to exact vengeance.
Whatever the reason, it had taken you far enough from your home village that the news of its partial destruction came as quiet the shock when you returned.
In its place was a vast, gaping chasm, but one with a stairwell lovingly carved into the sides. From it poured all manner of people strange and varied, speaking every language you could ever dream off. They all carried with them the same story.
Well, those of them that you could understand.


There was a ladies voice. They said. It called to us, saying: "Enter, if thou dare, and brave the Trials Within, to claim that what your Heart Desires."
How could we resist?

Soon, you too heard the voice. Soon, you found yourself descending.

--

[Wave 3]
Welcome to the Dungeon! If you want to join us in our merry heart-desire-chasing death-maze, you need only roll up a character and apply!
The rules have changed somewhat since the first post; but just follow the following template and you will be fine.

Character Information
* Your characters Name, Background (no more than a paragraph or two), Picture (non-mandatory but highly encouraged) and AI action (What you want your character to do in case Real World Obligations mean you cannot post).

Health
* You start the game with a hard-cap of 10 hit points.

Stat Allocation
* You have 15 ranks with which to purchase your skills, defenses and powers.
* Every rank equals one 1d6 with which to roll
* There is no limit on the amount of skills, powers or defenses you may purchase, save that you cannot purchase more than 15 ranks worth at character generation.
* Equally, no skill or power may grow beyond 5d6 at character generation.

Actions
* Of which you receive two per turn.
* Can be used to either powers or skills.
* One may be used to perform a talent, once per floor, with certain limitations as per talent-flavour-rules.

Defense
* The dice-pool that is rolled automatically whenever injury might occur. Your result is pitted against the attack, and should your defenses falter, you will take one point of damage per rank of failure.

Skills
* Used primarily to perform non hostile actions with the intent to gain some mechanical or fluffy benefit for your character or others, or demerit for yourself or others as you see fit.
* Can be used to buff another skill or power, though skills can never buff themselves.
* Can also be used to counter obstacles or other effects in play, by rolling your skill against it/theirs.
** If you fail to beat the enemies roll, you do not accomplish anything.
** If you beat their roll with anything less than a full rank; you have only a partial success, gaining some information or minor benefit but little else. One rank of success means you disable the effect.
** However, if you manage to beat their entire Skill Dicepool in the targeted skill, you trigger an Overskill, which lets you do cool and or weird stuff, such as introducing a skill wound, a [Shame].

Powers
* Used primarily to perform hostile actions against the self, the environment, other players or monsters.
* Can also be used to destroy non-magical items.
* Can be buffed via skill-use.
* Can only ever target one entity per action spent, though in the case of mooks the whole horde of them count as one entity for convenience sake.

Talent
* You are unique, and amongst those things that make you The Most Unique is the fact that you can do a thing no one else in the whole of creation can do. Once per dungeon floor, you may elect to roll your Talent in lieu of a skill or power.
* You can only ever have one Talent, and they come in one of three ice-cream flavours. Talents, unlike skills and powers, are rolled for using a single 1d4.
** Vanilla Talents offer a simple but effective mechanical benefit, like a bonus to skill or power use. They succeed on a roll of 2, 3 or 4 and fail normally on a roll of 1.
** Chocolate Talents are the middle ground; they can be powerful attacks or effective defenses and everything in between. They succeed on a roll of 4, fail on a roll of 1 and reroll on 2 and 3.
** Mint Talents are destructive and unpredictable and can do anything. However, this power comes with a hefty drawback. On a roll of one, the power will backfire. On a roll of 2 or 3 it will fail normally and only on a 4 will it succeed.
** Overall, Talents are there to give flavour to your character and should first and foremost be fun. I reserve the right to veto talents that will hinder the fun and or to propose changes to them that I think will accomplish the same goal without the fun ruining aspect.

And that is it! If anything remains unclear, you can usually find me on the official unofficial CYOA discord channel or more likely in the discord channel made for Break Down That Gate! which coincidentally is a great thread crafted by our very own Dogkisser, the author of the game that this game is based of off!
Sometimes I also linger in #madgod on https://www.synirc.com for those of you still clinging to IRC, the other official unofficial CYOA chat-place-platform.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

As Cue bounced in its newfound home, a thought struck it. It was still carrying that one Glitchie, imprisoned within its ivory form. But imprisonment was anathema to its nature, and thus it had to be freed. Decided on its course of action, Cue unraveled the magical binds with a bob and bounce, causing the glitchie to manifest in a highly localized but nevertheless furious reality storm.

Having brought this creature to the outside world, to a place it had never known, Cue gave it advice like any good parent. That is, nodding excitedly yet wordlessly towards the gate to the dungeon, before meteoring off to parts unknown.

Hell, maybe it could try to make new glitchies? That sounded like a pretty good time!

Well, regardless of what Cue decided on, this was no longer its story.

This was now the story of


Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: -
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


Standing tall at a mighty three inches, Cepi is a fearsome warrior indeed! Unafraid of danger or the unknown and totally unburdened by common sense, she nevertheless possesses the chivalrous heart of a TRUE KNIGHTCERER (well to be more exact the heart of a romanticized, completely fictional knight who never really existed, but Cepi would insist this makes perfect sense since she too was borne out of pure imagination). But she is a glitchie too, so her instincts pull her towards mischief and causing trouble. Will she ever learn to utilize her powers for good? How will she come to grips with her DUAL NATURE!? Only time will tell~~

How dramatic!

Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6]: As a glitchie, Cepi has amazing powers over the makeup of reality itself via powers that tap into some strange, underlying bit of the very fabric of creation. It is not quite magic, but is reminiscent of a strange type of corruptive transmutation and conjuration, for its main usage is the sudden, jerky translocation of objects, the degradation of matter into something not quite matter, as well as figuring out and exploiting strange idiosyncrasies in the makeup of the world. It's a profoundly strange ability, and honestly even Cepi herself does not really know what the deal with it is.

Proud Knightcerer [2d6]: Chivalry, good deeds and the heart of a lion! The things you would expect from a true knight, Cepi definitely at least knows about! Even if the execution can be a bit lacking taken her complete lack of experience. Still, she tries her best!

Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]: A mystical glitchie artifact, the Spear of Corruption can leak the memory of things that don't have memory, shatter files that don't exist in reality, cause error messages in strange eldritch sigils that melt the eyes or flay the soul when looked upon, and shatter even the toughest of objects into a fluffy mess of flickering neon pixels.

Defense: Shield of Lag: Another mystical glitchie artifact with a strange effect akin to a magical displacement field, but not quite. In fact, you feel that blaming a mystical magical field when failing to hit Cepi would come of as a rather thin excuse and in fact you probably just missed because you're not very good at combat. Shame on you, and git gud, SCRUB.

Mint Talent: Rewrite the Matrix: The Mostest HyperUltimate in glitchie powers, this allows powers over the past and causality itself! In boring, gameplay terms: this talent allows Cepi to change, replace or remove any single character in the latest update (numbers being exempt from tampering), with the resultant message becoming the new canon (and no Mean Genie-ing from the GM please, read them for her benefit!). On a 1, it's the GM who gets to choose which character gets changed, replaced or removed, with the result likely being rather nasty for all involved.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 18:52

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010



Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: -
HP: 10
Skills: Reality Warping [5d6], Powers: Spear of Corruption [5d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


When Stefania's father was a child, he was routinely mocked and shunned for his demonic heritage, however distant it might be. Still, he powered through it, with a resolve that his children would not grow up feeling the same shame that he had. So it was that the young Stefania (or Steffie, as she is known by the friends that she wishes she had) was treated to bedtime stories full of the tales of the heroic Demon King and his courageous exploits. As she grew older and started asking more questions, her father was forced to come up with an increasingly elaborate web of fiction about how the current Demon King was unfortunately evil, and making all of the other demons be evil as a result.

This would have been fine if Steffie had perhaps been a little less trusting of stories, or a little less irrepressibly optimistic, but in a truly unfortunate confluence of events, a series of particularly brutal wars down in Hell at about the same time as her father was disappeared by the Dungeon's appearance led to--through an incredibly long and unlikely chain of succession--Steffie inheriting a rather frightening amount of infernal power, and rulership over the Curse Imps. Circumstances being what they were, it was perfectly clear that to Steffie that it was time to begin her epic quest to depose the Demon King and bring Truth, Justice, and Friendship to Hell once more.

Skills
Imptourage [4d6]: As is appropriate for their Queen (well, technically she's only a Baron), Steffie is attended to by a small swarm of Curse Imps at all times, and she can portal in more with a simple thought. What they possess in numbers they make up in being quite weak individually, and they aren't 'loyal' so much as they think the whole thing is too hilarious not to go along with, but they're a force to be reckoned with nonetheless.

Penumbral Sorcery [2d6]: The very shadows are Steffie's to command, twisting themselves into all manner of twisted and unspeakable shapes as she wills it. They're still just substanceless shadows, but it sure looks impressive. Steffie likes to use them to put on some really rad shadow puppet shows.

Powers
HELLFIRE! [4d6]: Among Steffie's various gifts are the Dread Fires of Ba'altorax, which warp the body and burn the soul, and are generally Not Very Pleasan. They're a very exciting shade of green!

Defense
Demon's Destiny [5d6]: Sure, she might not actually be the destined ruler of hell, but good luck convincing Steffi of that--her unbreakable will can pull her through anything, so long as she BELIEVES IN HERSELF. Being supernaturally resilient and having a horde of Curse Imps making would-be assailants trip on their untied shoelace and into a mud puddle might help a little bit too.

Chocolate Talent
A Small Pox Upon You!: Steffi has the potential to lay down curses that would make mortals quake, but she's found favorite she really likes--The Curse of Comedic Incompetence. When someone is cursed, one of their actions turns out going differently from what they intend--harm becomes help, aid becomes assault, they eat their food too hot and burn their mouth, and things just generally don't seem to go right.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2017 around 03:47

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative -
HP: 10/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Available]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


The life of the Elder Vampire is an enviable one to most; great swathes of land as your territory, the masses who adore you whether they like it or not, and wealth immeasurable gathered over the course of centuries. However, no one bothers to tell you how absolutely mind numbingly boring it can get.

Nezera is now the better half of a millennium past her embarrassing phase of talking in a nearly unintelligible thick foreign accent and acting as though every superstition about vampire kind was true. That part of her un-life was cringe inducing, but at least she was comforted by the fact that almost all her kind went through that stage of un-life.

The appearance of this mysterious hole in the neighboring region had been an intriguing development. Managing the territory was beginning to wear thin and the Countess needed a desperate change of pace. In any other circumstance the procession of carriages led by a horde of servants would be most surprising, but today the Countess Nezera Amaris steps relatively unnoticed among the gathered, slipping through to the dungeon's entrance.

Skills
Supernatural Movement [3d6]
An Elder vampire isn't bound by the limitations their body once had. Parlor tricks such as the ability to stand on walls or walk across a body of water pale in comparison to the sheer break neck speed or acts of absurd coordination they can pull off.

Charming Gaze [3d6]
Being charming is a big part of ruling your territory. Being "charming" is the vast majority of keeping it under control. When simple words won't do, a subtle touch on the mind here and there will push a subject in direction the Elder wants them to go.

Powers
Unnatural Strength [5d6]
It turns out you don't need any fancy weapons or training when your unholy strength allows you to punch a hole through someone or to simply nab up a large rock and hurl it at outrageous speeds.

Defense
Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Vampires are a hardy lot in most circumstance, but Elders take it to a whole other level. The only true vulnerable points on the Elder's body are the brain and organs, so they're quick to throw their unnaturally tough limbs into the way of attacks. An Elder can simply will flesh wounds on their limbs closed, reattach a lost limb, or in the case of utter destruction grow a new one.

Chocolate Talent: Nezera bites into a victim dealing d6 damage directly and applying the damage as bonus d6s in her next roll of a dice pool.

Impromptu hors d'oeuvres: It's a simple fact that any vampire needs a snack now and then and that Nezera has a particularly large appetite in comparison to her peers. A few decades of gluttonous snacking have given her the ability to convert a recent snack into a surge of intoxicating power.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 16:25

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012



Sky-iryk



pre:
Skills: Morph: [5d6], Master-spy: [4d6]
HP: 10/10, 
Powers: Ravage: [4d6]
Defense: Agile defense: [2d6]
Talent: Mass metamorphosis
Current form: Human, female, Duchess Lisila Amgwina
Inventory: Bastard sword, Kobold Quality MagiTek Lasgun
"Tool? Contained? Discarded? I'm none of those things.", says Sky-iryk to the Old Man with a shrug.
The stone on her forehead glows faintly for a moment as she turns away from him.

She smiles at Emille and gives a small nod at her introduction.

"I'm Duchess Lisilla Amgwina, from Mindosia. An adventurer? How lovely! I guess I'm also kind of an adventurer, now that I'm here, aren't I? So, are you from the same world as me? Master Molriir " - she waves towards the dwarf - " says he is from a different world. Fascinating isn't it? Sorry, I don't remember you, dear. But have you been to King Norman's castle by any chance? We sent him a portrait of me as a gift a few years ago. I was to marry his nephew, you see. Maybe you've seen the picture there? Or have you been to Iskim? It's my home city. It's quite far from any of the big metropolises, but it's a lovely city."

She chatters away quite cheerfully, quite the contrast to the dour mood of the Old Man's announcements.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Name: Vivien Lumière
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Health: 10/10 HP
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction

Skills:
Enchantment: [5d6] - From the wellsprings of Creation lies hidden powers which await those who would carry the burdens of limitless potential. Through her connection to the Divine Creation via the Order of the Pristine Depths, Vivien unlocks dormant powers found in the ethereal planes to affect the material world directly through magical enhancements. Similarly, this knowledge of enchanting can be used to identify, assess, and potentially dissipate the enchantments of others.

Curative Magic: [4d6] - As a wielder of the Holy Arts, Vivien is a sworn protector of the just and the living. She utilizes her training in the Divine Art of Curative Magic to heal the wounded, to repair the injured, to cure the sick, and to release the dying. This shining, blessed water that Vivien draws from the ethereal planes flows effortlessly through the air, controlled by the Enchantress's will. The ethereal water's healing energy contains a trace of Time Magic, which serves to undo the damage of injuries that have been wrought by the passage of time.

Powers:
Holy Smite: [2d6] - In times where direct intervention is absolutely necessary, Vivien focuses upon energies drawn from the Holy Elemental Plane of Order forged within Excalibur, the legendary sword of Arthur, and uses it to smite her foes with a searing slash of raw divine energy.

Defenses:
Aegis of Camelot: [4d6] - The Divine Order of the Pristine Depths is the holy protectorate of Camelot, and likewise the magics built into Camelot serve to protect the knights and priestesses of the Order, even from afar. This divine shielding fashioned by the wizard Merlin creates a shimmering bubble of holy force around Vivien, protecting her from harm.

Talent:
Prismatic Refraction: [Vanilla] - Vivien's mastery of the Pristine Depths allows her to refract and reshape the spectrum of ethereal energies cast by her powers, splitting their effects evenly among whomsoever she chooses. On a successful talent roll, Vivien can affect an extra 1d4 targets with her actions and skills for the rest of the floor. Her efforts are divided evenly between the targets she selects.

~ ~ ~

Vivien stood before the Endless Maw of Chaos and gazed below. She had followed the voice of the little girl thus far, and it had brought her to the very cusp of The Dungeon itself. The Divine Order of the Pristine Depths had given her a quest, and she would follow that cause to her very end if necessary. She stepped beyond the precipice and felt a familiar surge of power as the ethereal energies of the Pristine Depths swirled around her protectively, raising the hairs on the back of her neck.

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2017 around 14:14

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

Background: Is a cat.

Many a young adventurer has fallen foul of Cat. Setting forth on what would surely be an epic quest, they made the mistake of provoking cat's wrath. The lucky ones left covered on painful scratches, the unlucky didn't return at all.

Cat has returned home after wandering away for while, now there's some kind of pit? Cat ventures in to claim it as her own. And find her owner, I guess. While she's there. Not that she cares or anything.

"Meow"

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 10/10 (1/1HP, 9/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Feline Instincts What does a cat do? Cat things.
Haughty disdain Cat looks down on you. Pathetic!

Powers: Stalking 2D6
You don't even realise that cat is attacking. Until it is to late!

Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Small, fast, nimble. Nothing can touch Cat.

Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.
Cat is an expert leaper and pouncer. Sometimes, a jump can seem to go horribly wrong, but cat twists and turns in the air to land precisely, clearly that was meant to happen. Activate this talent when failing a leap or falling unexpectedly. Reroll the jump or fall. You are guaranteed to survive any fall (not necessarily unscathed).

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 12:52

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

[Floor Λ]
The Path]
Wave 1-2


[Shy-Irk, Molriir, Emille]

You introduce yourselves and chat a while whilst you walk, as long as the paths you tread coincide. Here and there you see strangers or strange things walk as you. Sometimes, as in the case for Molriir, even Family.
But the other people that share this sea of clouds with you are distant, if not in locality then certainly in mannerisms. They walk but do not stop to rest. The few that reply do so with a word or two at best. Most look old, or at least worn.

Though as far as age goes, none hold a candle to the man who first spoke when you appeared. Molriir is the first to question him, and tries to do so amicably.

Hearthstone 16 vs Ancient Memory: 2d6 8 = Success! Overskill! ↩ Failure!


"You would ask my nature, but that too they took from me. All that I was and had accomplished, gone and lost to the aether. Just as you, in time."

--

The Deepdelvers continued on their respective paths, but could they really walk forever? As far as they could see, in every direction, there was still nothing but clouds stretching to the horizon and beyond.
The only thing physically differentiating one path from another was orientation, but observation and experimentation showed quiet quickly that the reference point was always the most comfortable.
The only tricky bit was when dis-aligned paths converged, but even then transitioning from one to the other worked about as well as you could hope.

--

Wave 3
The Stairwell


For reasons as varied as they come, five individuals, decidedly less orby or monstrous than those that came previously descended down the stairwell together, joined by a crowd of ne'er-do-wells wielding all sorts of metal implements of war.
They cheered and sang as they walked ever downwards, telling each other tales of the luxuries the buried riches would allow them to obtain once they defeated whatever monster lurked below. Adventurers then, and a rowdy lot at that.



You do your best to avoid them, as their kind courts death at every corner.

Down and down you went. Though the dungeon when viewed from above looked scarce deeper than a few stories at most, the individual steps are generous.
At least that is what you tell yourself when after some fifteen minutes you still have not progressed any noticeable distance.

But you are not to be deterred, so you continue - all until you reach the first floor, and the first choice. A door opaque, a door barred. The Adventurers laugh quiet merrily, kick the barred gate down and travel onwards.
You shrug and pick the other, glad for some peace and quiet.

The door opens easily enough, but the room within is dark and quiet. You step through.



--

Wave 3
The Beach Beyond Darkness



[Everyone]
You come to your senses in the back of a metal boat. Other delvers surround you, from worlds quiet unlike your own. Most seem as confused as you are, but some charge out into the waters, unwarranted bravery sealing their fates.
Their dying screams serve as a chilling warning; the water is covered in thin, nigh invisible sheets of alchemical toxins - and the air is filled with the scent of blood and rot.

The beach ahead is covered in metal and concrete spikes and you hear the staccato of what must be a barrage of cannons, if your world has such, or possibly a coven of wizards if it doesn't.
Dull flames light up the beachhead as your boat makes its approach and an unfamiliar cacophony surrounds you.

--

[Cat, Countess Nezera Amaris]
Your boat appears to be leaking, and the hole is only getting larger as the toxins start corroding the thin sheet that separates you from a watery grave.
It looks easy enough to repair, if you only had the parts, but simply scooping the water away might work as a temporary measure. Of course, you could always try swimming, if you think yourselves hard enough.

[Your ship will sink unless tended to! However you choose to handle this, if you do handle it, the boat will make its way to the beach in two rounds. You are not currently being fired at.]

--

[Vivien Lumière, Cepi Yu]
Your boat is, under the circumstances, doing completely fine. That is, if it wasn't moving slowly backwards as it fights the currents of the storm. It will need some kind of push, or perhaps new fuel, to transcend its physical limitations.

[If nothing is done, it will never reach the beach. At least you are not currently being fired at.]

--

[Stefania]
You share your boat with a dozen worthless curse-imps. The least of their own kind and all of them highly irritable. You do your best to calm the little dears down, but then a loud noise happens and that awful, stingy water splashes aboard!
You are under attack! Do you even know how to drive a boat? You can't really see your adversary, but with a full on war-zone happening all around you, aiming is secondary to surviving.

[Your boat is currently completely fine, and will reach the beach in two rounds. However, the enemy has you in their sights and will fire upon you unless you perform some impressive evasive maneuvers or think of some other way to dissuade them.]

--

[Everyone]
Welcome to the Beach Beyond Darkness! The time is fight. Roll initiative and let lose your cries of war, for though the first round is a bit of a breather, the enemy is numerous and your obstacles are many.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010



Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


Stefania stood on the boat in a bit of a daze. Acheron! She'd made it! She'd thought that getting to Hell was going to be the hard part, but she was already here! The Eternal Battleground, where demons honed their skills and proved themselves worthy to the Demon King, fighting to the death only to be revived every night to share in a spectacular feast of camaraderie and--

KABOOM!

Stefania's excited reveries was broken by an explosion quite close to her, and by a panicked imp bonking its body directly into her face. Right! This wasn't the time for standing around daydreaming! It was the time for action!

Impnitiative: 4d6 16

She dashed up to the boat's controls, ready to implement evasive maneuvers, but quickly realized that she had no idea how to steer a normal boat in good conditions, much less a metal hell-boat in acid waters under fire from an unseen enemy. She quickly abandoned that plan of action, instead waving her hands through the air, sending wave after wave of Curse Imps streaming out from under her cloak. Soon the boat was full of them, floating panicked and indecisive in the air.

"Everyone up against the walls! When I say left, you push left! When I say right, you push right! We just have to keep dodging until we make it to the shore! I believe in you guys, let's get this done!"

Impvasive Maneuvers: 4d6 20

She turned her gaze skyward and readied herself, eldritch fires rising up around her hands. "Aaaaand... LEFT! LEFT! RIGHT! FORWARDS!" she shot a gout of brilliant emerald flame in the air, trying to melt the shells before they were in range. It was turning out to be rather difficult to hit a moving target from an unpredictably moving boat, but that sure didn't stop her from trying.

HELLFIRE vs. ARTILLERY FIRE: 4d6 11

"I'm coming for you, Demon King! Just you watch!"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 10/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Used]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


Nezera is a little unimpressed at first, a simple beach front assault of an entrenched enemy seemed a trifle too dull to really grasp her attention, but then the smell of melting flesh and freshly let blood catches her senses. "Oh my! This could actually be quite interesting!"

It doesn't take long for the Countess to size up the sum of delvers sitting on this sinking boat and it's not particularly surprising that she finds them all wanting. Rather than actually band together in an effort to escape their predicament they seem content to simply panic or come up with farfetched plans that they have no chance of completing in the short time the boat has left. Useless. It wouldn't be worth the effort to bring any of them with her once she'd departed.

The only thing of note Nezera sees is a Cat that had seemingly wandered into the dungeon's depths. It wouldn't exactly be a strain on her being to haul around a beast that could only weigh a few pounds, it wouldn't be a strain for her to carry half a dozen of the assembled delvers either but that was beside the point. Offering a hand to the feline Nezera coos "I'll be taking my leave of this death trap now, little beast. You're welcome to come with me if you should like."

After the Cat had made it's choice, Nezera sizes up the crowd for another moment, waiting for the correct timing to reveal itself. A delver jostles another and in return is shoved into the ever growing hole in the bottom of the boat, some have actually begun to band together and have begun peeling small bits from the boat in a futile attempt to save their vessel, and the Nezera spots what she's after. A lone Delver seemingly have given up hope and standing stunned amidst the carnage surrounding their ship.

The Lone Delver doesn't exactly get a chance to see it coming as Nezera's fangs find solid purchase in his neck, his vital essences quickly drained off to fuel the undead. Well aware of the dangers an angry mob poses, the Countess doesn't stick around. It's only a short sprint to the front of the boat, leaping on or over stunned Delvers as nessecary, and in moments Nezera is speeding through the air on a crash course with the alchemical soup. In theory she'd simply be able to leap across the water making only the briefest contact with the caustic surface, but the intent behind her ideas always got a little hazy after a food binge.

quote:

Action 1
Chocolate Talent Activation: 3->4 Successful. An NPC Delver gets CHOMPED
Talent Damage: 5

Action 2
Running across the murder water? Sure why not! With Supernatural Movement anything is possible! 3d6+5d6 from my talent is 29!

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 10/10 (1/1HP, 9/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Initiative: 5d6 17

Cat hisses angrily at the water bubbling into the boat. There was as friendly vampire (all cats, after all, are naturally inclined towards spooky things), but panic response took over.

Eyes daring wildly, she leaps up to the edge of the boat, clambering up to its highest point.

Climb to the highest point of the boat: 5d6 17

From there, she balances on the edge, ready to jump as the sinking boat gets closer to the shore. Whether that was onto the shore or from floating body to body would depend on how far the boat survived.

Balance, ready to leap.: 5d6 27

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 19:21

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 15
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


The boat was a noisy place, with bolts creaking, assorted paraphernalia clanging against the walls, and waves upon waves of corrosive water battering the hull. Yet still, somehow, a tiny voice from even tinier a person somehow hovering at chest height cut through it all.

"FEAR NOT!", Cepi proclaimed, pointing her lance at Vivien, "My fair maiden! For Cepi Yu will not let the accursed gale or the corrupted tide mar your features! I shall bring this boat safely to shore, even if I have to push it myself! This I vow on my honor as Knightcerer!" She performed a strange sort of midair salute, and quickly disappeared towards the stern via an eerily choppy kind of... flight? Blinking? Who knows.

Cepi peered over the edge, squinting at the water below as the boat gradually made its way backwards. It seemed dangerous. Very much so, in fact. But this was not the time for fear, or doubt, or reasonable self-preservation. This was the time for HEROICS!

With a huff and a puff, Cepi assumed the mighty T-POSE (the mightiest of all poses!) as she jumped overboard, hooking one arm on the edge.

Then she stopped. And in that moment, she became an obstacle. Something anchored to the realm itself in a strange, unmovable way, a way which clearly wasn't intended or planned for by whoever made this reality. Even the boat didn't quite know what to do with this, for it could not move the glitchie, and all it could manage was to bounce between her body proper and the arm that was hooked over the edge. So it bounced the infinitesimal distance, over and over, the entire boat starting to ominously vibrate as energy trapped in a glitch had nowhere to go, wounding up like a spring.

All that was left for Cepi to do, then, was to aim the whole edifice towards the shore.

She was so clever!

Glitchy Initiative: 5d6= 15
Buffing Proud Knightcerer with Glitchweaving: 2d6 vs 5d6= 7 vs. 23 SUCCESS!
Buffed Knightitude to save my FAIR MAIDEN: 7d6= 28

Theantero fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 18:53

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 18
Health: 10/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla
Items: [none]

Initiative - Warning Bells Cantrip: 5d6 18

As soon as she walked through the Dungeon's first door, Vivien lurched to her feet as the solid ground beneath her shifted to become the bottom of a boat. Vivien's Warning Cantrip flared up, signaling the omnipresence of danger. She tentatively took stock of her strange new surroundings, noting all immediate threats and assessing others for potential allies. Releasing her tensions and her expectations for the Dungeon's first floor, she let her powers suffuse the air around her so that she was bathed in a glowing rainbow aura. She deftly manipulated the shapes of those energies swirling around her into glimmering ethereal bubbles of swirling colors, and she tried to pluck out multiple distinct hues at the same time. Pop - pop - pop! Her talent activated:

Talent: Prismatic Refraction: 1

When it was done, only one tint of her energy prevailed. An inauspicious start, Vivien mused. She would need to choose her targets wisely for this section of the Dungeon if she wanted to make it to the next floor alive. She pursed her lips in consternation and prepared to cast a simple Levitation spell upon herself, so as to help her walk across the toxin-filled water unscathed...

Suddenly, she felt a small tug at the hem of her dress and turned around.

It was a tiny, floating knight, pointing a fractalized lance in her direction and issuing heroic declarations of chivalrous intent... how curiously odd! Vivien hadn't noticed this diminutive Delver earlier, but it looks as though they were in the same boat together!

The small and proud little knight wanted to jump into the deadly waters in order to push the boat to shore. Given its insanely small stature it seemed highly unlikely that it would work, but Vivien wasn't going to allow a well-meaning warrior to kill itself in the process - not on her behalf! Besides, whatever it was, the tiny squeaking thing was kind of adorable.

Channeling her powers of enchantment, Vivien creates a toxin-resistant bubble around the young glitchie knightcerer.

Enchanting: Toxic Resistance: 5d6 20

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2017 around 14:15

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

...

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

...

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!

Grimey Drawer

Molriir Hearthstone
HP: 10
Initiative: 16
Skills: Educated Dwarf [3d6], Hearthstone [4d6].
Power: *Superior Quality Repeating Crossbow* [3d6]
Defense: Unbelievably Stubborn [5d6]
Inventory: Backpack o' stuff (delicious rations, oil, rum, etc.), Hearthstone Shield (+1d6 to a Defense against physical dangers - any nearby stone receives increased durability and tensile strength).



"Slaved t' this place, then," responded Molriir gravely, before offering up a sympathetic smile. "I see. Thank ye fer yer words anyhow, and the length o' yer beard does ye credit, fer wha' it's worth."

Hearthstone to lift the shade's spirit slightly: 15

Molriir looked to Duchess Amgwina and Emille and nodded at the latter.

"Molriir Hearthstone, miss Emille, pleasure meetin' ye, and aye, I be nae from the world o' ye and th' Duchess."

He paused, then gestured at their surroundings.

"As interestin' it be t' see another human - an' some kind o' Magi at tha'? - we ought git movin'. Judgin' by th' shade's words, this place may be erodin' us in ways we donnae feel and we need t' try figurin' out th' ken o' it, or find th' hole in its damnable logic, afore it really starts hurtin'. Maybe e'en free some o' these o'er lost souls if we can, eh?"

In the company of the two women, the dwarf set out on traversing the Path.

----

Molriir gasped aloud as he spotted someone walking on a different path. Interrupting whatever conversation was going on, the dwarf ran to the edge trying to get a better viewing angle on what he could swear was a pair of Orthn - and not just any Orthn. Three decades had passed since he'd seen them last, but even while their ruddy hair and beards were far longer and their worn faces placed them older yet than a mere three decades older, Molriir could still recognize them. Two of his brothers, Drynner and Perniir. He waved and shouted in his mother tongue, glad to see them alive, but worried to see them in this place and so aged.

"Drynner! Perniir! Hendede ke dyr?! Ker fennis Marnavíri?! Orthre?!"
[Names]! What's happened to you?! Where is the rest of the clan?! Brothers?!"

Molriir stood at the edge of the Path staring at the odd angle his brothers were moving, looking distraught as his cries had little apparent effect on the slouched, trudging shapes of his worn brothers - only Drynner even bothered to look and he just started dumbly at Molriir before turning back again, no look of recognition in his eyes.

"Why donnae they respond? 'tis nae e'en like they're shunnin'... be they e'en real? Can they really 'ave Lost the ken o' me? Atch, this be bad. Kin ye 'old on fer a moment? I must 'ave th' true ken o' this."

With practiced ease, the dwarf dumped his big backpack to the ground and removed a grappling hook and rope, which he quickly fastened to his crossbow, that he then cranked up and readied with steady aim. Eyeing the distance, he considered how the bolt might fly, weighed down by the hook and rope and how the shifting gravities surrounding the paths might affect it. For perhaps a solid minute, he merely muttered numbers and weight ratios to himself, but soon enough the well-educated scion of Marnavir clan believed he had the right angle... or at least something close enough to it. He lifted his crossbow and fired.



*Thup* *Whip* *thwrrrrl**Ka-Thunk*

Dwarf Educated to attempt to create a Rope Bridge: 13

Using Backpack o' Stuff to come up with the material to make a Rope Bridge.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Emille

HP: 6/10
Initiative: 6
Defense: Parry[3d6]
Pyromancy [3d6], Acrobatics [2d6], Adventuring Knowhow [1d6]
Ignite/Quench [3d6], Radiance [2d6], Arquebus [1d6]
The Master's Mark (chocolate): [spent/unspent]
Items: +1 Ring (+1 to a single action every turn), Proud of Being Mentored, Miniature Planet (Plop a full sized planet somewhere)

Emille paced her way through a small, loop-de-loop path, as she pondered what this floor required of her and the others. Crush Old Man Downer's existential angst somehow? Now that she thought about it, he looked kinda like Marius. Well, not quite. This old man had a lot more hair than Marius, who claimed even his eyebrows fell out long ago.

"He's been here a long time, trapped., Marius stated sadly, "I do not know how he became trapped. My understanding of things is that this shouldn't have happened. He trailed off before continuing, "Give me another minute or two. I need to get a stiff drink for this one."

Emille stopped at the top of the loop-de-loop and gravity took over. She fell, landing feet first on a path that ran perpendicular to the loop. While she had some downtime, she decided to take care of some of the wounds she had incurred while in the dungeon. In lieu of the various bandages and potions that were destroyed earlier, she used pyromancy. She focused on the parts of her body that fixed itself and ignited them into action.

Pyromancy [3d6] to try and get some HP back: 3d6+1 = 9

An inner warmth spread through her body. Hopefully it would be enough. She turned back to business. The Old Guy claimed to have given up long ago. Emille stared deeply into eyes and attempted to ignite what the man lacked, his passion.

Pyromancy[3d6] to try and inflame the guy's passions: 3d6 = 15

It might take a few minutes, she figured. She felt like there was nothing more than cinders there. Suddenly, she heard the sound of someone imitating a throat being cleared. When she wasn't looking, Marius's double had risen from the floor again.

"You wish to know of me, Emille? Very well, but I can't promise you'll like it. I am a child born of the blessed union of man and the divine. A living miracle. A demigod, last of my pantheon and possibly last of my kind, depending on *where* and *when* you ask. I was born with limitless strength and a natural aptitude for shadow magic that rivaled the greats. But that wasn't all. I also possessed unparalleled ambition and a bottomless well of wickedness."

Marius's shadow flicked for a split second, and it began to shift, spikes growing from its armor and great horns sprouted from its helmet. An inky black substance began to drip from its gauntlets.

"I've spent too much time pondering its origin. Was it my upbringing, a defect in my creation? Or was I that way by design? It matters very little either way. All I know is that I craved power, and I didn't care how I obtained it. In my late 20s, I orchestrated a coup, killed a royal family with my bare hands, and crowned myself king. But that wasn't enough for me. I wanted MORE. So I took it. I organized armies of the worst of all the races and I lead them in brutally subjugating my neighbors, committing atrocity after atrocity. After I was finished reveling in the bloodshed, I realized that the title of King was beneath me."

"I aspired to the title of Overlord. And with the gods and a mountain of corpses as my witnesses, I claimed it. At my height, I had fanatical legions of men who would gut themselves or each other at my command. Vast engines devoted to harvesting blood for profane rituals. I even had a building I used for when I was in the mood of subjecting some unlucky victim to a kangaroo court. But I found being an Overlord wasn't enough, I still wanted MORE. And then I heard the rumor."

"On a distant continent, there was a tower, infinitely tall. One day, its doors opened and it issued a proclamation."

“WHOSOEVER REACHES THE PINNACLE SHALL BECOME THE LORD OF THE TOWER AND OF THE FIRMAMENT AND OF ALL THE LIGHT TOUCHES”

"This was what I sought! A fitting place for one so great as myself! So I gathered my armies and we conquered and pillaged our way, across the ocean, to the tower. And in this tower, is where Overlord Vahl, the Thrice-Slain, the Horned King, paid the ultimate price for his hubris."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 23:47

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Spindel-08]

Spindel's circuits thrilled to watch the strange lifeform dissolve. What fun! But it wasn't enough. He clambered into the chamber the goblin had just 'vacated' and bared its fangs once more towards the others. It would kill them all at once, safe within the chamber. It pressed the same button (___ A man, dying. ___) again, over and over just to make a point!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...


Goblin-One-Battalion
HP : 2

Initiative: 12
Inventory: Knighthood Medal (+1d6 to a roll if it complies with the king's wishes), Diluted Curse (Cloudy with a chance of Dragons)

Woundshame: MAD GOBLIN SCIENTIST (-3d6 to any non-mad science related activity)
Prouds: Explosives Expert (+1d6 to explosive-related activities), Of the Overlord (+1d6 to ???)

Defense: An Indeterminate Number of Lives [5d6]
Skills: Be Everywhere [3d6] / Goblin Formations [3d6]
Powers: Overwhelm with Numbers [4d6]
Talent: [spent/unspent]
AI Action: Survive at all costs, if survival is currently guaranteed, loot and eat in equal measures.

Well, poo poo. The Goblins were looking considerably worse for wear, which was weird since only one extra gob had died. This machine was kinda bullshit, thought the horde. And even worse was that obviously evil spider. It didn't help that this goddamn mad scientist thought it was all great fun. At least there was treasure around, that would heal up their emotional wounds, if not their physical ones...

Treasure Roll = 32

But they were too slow, still. Distracted by the pain and the cackling they failed to even loot treasure. The goblins were getting pretty sick and tired of this bullshit dungeon that wasn't anything like the ones they were used to. Too many weird stupid traps. Too annoying. They tried to call on their dungeoneering expert to give his opinion on the situation...

Talent Roll = FAIL

But he was just as stumped as the rest of them. In their exhaustion and annoyance, they decided to at least try to take an action that seemed somewhat reasonable, and pressed the Machine Breaki-

MAD SCIENCE INTERRUPT

As they were planning a reasonable course of action the mad scientist had enlisted an extra goblin and together they pressed all four buttons at the same time. What the gently caress. Why. That's not even mad science, that's just stupid!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
The Beach Beyond Darkness



[Vivien Lumière, Cepi Yu]
The Paladin and the Glitchie are quick to go to work, the proud Knightcerer clipping through the back of boat before becoming stuck in the geometry in a way that would be quiet fatal if it wasn't for the strange magic she wielded - all the same the waves rose up around her, threatening to burn both armour and flesh!

Buffing Proud Knightcerer with Glitchweaving: 2d6 vs 5d6= 7 vs. 23 = Success!

But before calamity struck, Lumière wove her magics onto the fey, seeking to protect her from harm!

Enchanting: Toxic Resistance: 20 - Success! - New Mechanic Unlocked!
20 / 6 = 3, meaning Cepi Yu gains a tier 3 Toxic Shield, grants a 3d6 bonus to defense (based on tier), reducing in effectiveness by 1d6 per attack tanked. Only one damage shield may be active per delver per turn, and the effect ends when the extra dice pool runs out or when the turn ends.


She noted with confidence how her shield took effect around the Knightcerer, though the strain of maintaining the spell in the middle of an all out war-zone took all of her concentration, causing her more unique talent to fizzle.

Though the water below her churned, Cepi Yu would not budge, the shield glimmering bright green around her as the furthest foam lashed at it angrily.

Buffed Knightitude to cross the waters safely: 28 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastewater: 5d6 = 16 = Success! No damage taken!



T̴̷͙̦̩̗̪̄͌͐̆̀̈́̀ͅͅO̶̙̥̊̇͋͗̔͒̿G̑ͮ̄̇̓̎͐̀̊҉̦̩͈̖̲̞̫G̨̛̪̻̼̪̒̋͢Ḻ̴̥͕̄̓ͮ͊ͪ̀E̞̥̲̜̣͖̯ͯͮ͟͢͝ ̸̶̡̺̟͈͈͙ͫ͛͌͛̊N̷̛̗̫̝͊̾͗ͤ͞Ȯ̴͉̳̑͜C̦̲ͥ̆̑͌ͯ͘L͒ͨͯ̄̒ͨ̐̚҉̷͉̲̞̥̖̯̩I̡̺̗͕̰̟̫̙͑̿̾ͫ̔P̴̭̬̬̳̳̣̭͕̬͋ͪ̃́͝ she shouted, purple-green-checkmark glitchfire burning around her as she instantly unstuck only to restick to the edge, causing the boat to fly off at ludicrous speeds across the waters!

[Success! The boat now has enough momentum to make the trip, meaning it will arrive at the shore on the turn after your next. Since your boat is undamaged and the enemy has yet to open fire, it looks like smooth sailing from here on out!]

--

[Cat, Countess Nezera Amaris]
Not wanting to get its paws wet or burnt off, Cat leaps to the top of the boat even as the toxic waters rise to consume it -

Feline instincts: 17 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastewater: = 13 = Success! No damage taken!

Barley making it out before its previous perch was melted slag, the cat continues its catrobatics by once more leaping, though this time from the now sinking boat onto the next available piece of debris or unfortunately swimming deepdelver!

Feline instincts: 27 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastewater: = 16 = Success! No damage taken!

Nezera on the other hand, was feeling peckish. The rising waters did not much concern the vampire, such things where beneath an elder of her caliber, but the Hunger could not care less about her age. [Talent success!] Without a moments hesitation, she half flew, half jumped at the tender neck of an unfortunate deepdelver, crushing them against the deck and ripping open their carotid artery in one fell swoop. The feeding was swift, ruthless and blissful, a smile spreading across the rapidly paleing countenance of the deepdelver even as his body was melting into the floor.

[Success! You bite into one of the deepdelvers for a massive 5 damage, knocking him out - unfortunately for him the toxic sludge leaking into your boat deals the rest of the damage and he is toast! However, you are perfectly fine, using his corpse as a carpet!]

Fresh blood flowing through her veins, Nezhra becomes a sonic boom and a rapidly fading blur as she leaves the rest of the - now stunned - deepdelvers in her wake!

Supernatural movement: 29 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastewater: 5d6 18 = Success!

[Double success! Both Cat and Nezera makes great headway towards the shore, but without a boat beneath your feet, the rest of the way to the beach might prove tricky! Fortunately another boat, containing Cepi Yu and Lumière is rocketing past you at high speeds - you could try to hitch a ride, though catching up to it may be difficult (requiring a roll to reach). You could instead try for Stefanias boat, which would be trivial (not requiring a roll to reach, unless she swerves to avoid you), however it brings with it its own set of problems, namely being under fire.

If boats really aren't your thing, you will need another two movement rolls to reach the shore, failure of which will see you plummet into the acidic depths!]

--

[Stefania]
Stefani was in her element, and though that element was horrible, she felt bright and cheerful all the same. Surrounded by imps, she tasked them with the duty of defending their queen, urging them to rock the boat hither and dither to avoid the worst of the incoming enemy fire

Impvasive Maneuvers: 20 vs MagiTek Howitzer: 15 = Success!
Impvasive Maneuvers: 20 vs MagiTek Howitzer: 13 = Success!

Another two massive explosion narrowly avoided, Stefani and her Imps retorted with demonfire of their own!

Demonfire 11 vs MagiTek Howitzer: = 8 Success! One damage dealt! One Enemy MagiTek Howitzer is destroyed!

Though Firing blindly into the fog, the eldritch flames have a will of their own - a will to cause as much devastation as possible - and so they home in on the unfortunate souls that operate the enemy cannons and completely miss them, instead hitting the quiet volatile ammunition storage right beside them.



The guns quiet for a moment as the enemy likely panics and restructures, before picking up again, though greatly diminished!

[Success! You avoided the first barrage, though you are still under fire. If things continue going your way, you will reach the shore on the turn after your next. You see some deepdelvers alternately running or jumping across the waters, you could try to pick them up before they drown themselves in their fervor, or you could try to actively avoid them, making their plight that much more difficult! The choice is up to you.]

--

[Floor #] [The Chamber]
[Spindel, Unknown Deepdelver, Goblin-One-Battalion]



The unknown deepdelver jumps for its chance at treasure, to the demerit of Goblins and spiders anywhere. But the goblins and spider have plans of their own, rushing to each series of buttons and levers, trying to get at one another before the mad scientist steps in and ruins everything.

Many-lots goblin hands punch down on the buttons of outside console all at once, masking what button was actually pressed first, though the MagiTek circuits are surely fast enough to reason it, and the lever is pulled on pain of experimentation - the chamber closes...






Random Button Sequence: Man Dying, Treasure, Portal, Machine Dying: = 4








[Goblin One Battalion]
You are dead.
But the fear, the anger and most importantly the inane chattering of the mad scientist are all gone. No emotions remain, save perhaps curiosity. Curiosity at the five strange and tiny fires, your haunts, that are all that is left of you.
Spend them as you will, 1d6 at a time to buff or demerit, or all at once, but when they are gone, so too will you be. Forever.

[Spindel]
You are dead.
Your programming is shattered, your purpose wiped, your RAM and hard-drives formatted. All that remains are five flames, your haunts.
Spend them as you will, 1d6 at a time to buff or demerit, or all at once, but when they are gone, so too will you be. Forever.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 10/10 (1/1HP, 9/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Cat sees the shore ahead, the sizzling bodies and debris thinning as she gets closer.

Eyes completely focussed ahead. Cat bounds onto the remains of some unfortunate enough not to make it.

Leap body to body: 5d6 18

It wasn't enough. The remians ahead dissolved into the acidic water. Only the shore remianed.

One final leap!: 5d6 19

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 10/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Used]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


Amidst the sizzling and screams of delvers hitting "water", the masses of explosions roaring away on the beach of in the ocean, and the roar of the boats themselves, there's a faint lilt of amused laughter. Caught up in the moment Nezera's usually composed form has cracked as she sees the small cat she had offered to help keeping pace with her on the trek across the perilous waters.

It took a good deal to raise the competitive spirit in Nezera normally, but this dungeon thing was doing the trick. With the excess power of the blood of the poor Delver having run its course and the likelyhood of her surviving a sprint across acid for very long, Nezera looks for another means of altering her mobility and finds it in Stefania's imp laden boat.

Imps, as Nezera knew them, were not particularly complex creatures. The deeper arts of daemonology were a lost knowledge in her lands, but a few tweaks here and there of the mind were not beyond her. There's a flash of red light in Nezera's eyes as she begins to reach out with her mind to an imp near the controls "Hold the boat's course steady for but a moment."

Nezera is once again a flash of movement as she launches herself from the back of the boat currently under cannon fire, her body hurtling through the air toward incoming shells, her intent to run on the munitions themselves toward her target.

quote:

Action 1
Use charming gaze to buff supernatural movement.
11 vs 11 = (GM Clarified Ties are a) Success

Action 2

Supernatural Movement to run on howitzer shells.
Buff success so 24

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2017 around 17:43

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010



Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


Stefania let out a whoop of laughter as the ammo cache detonated. This was amazing! It was loud, and messy, and terrifying and it was the best! And everyone had made it sound like this would be a bad place! The Evil Demon King had a lot to answer for. In the lull of the explosion, she took a chance to step up and take look around. There was another boat over there, rocketing towards the shore with some kind of weirdly-colored pattern flickering around it, and yet another boat just now slipping below the waves, with no surv--wait, was that a cat? And that woman was running on water! Holy poo poo! If her dad had taught her anything, it's that you didn't make it all the way to being Demon King without the power of friendship helping you along the way, and if that wasn't adventure friendship material right there, nothing was.

"That way!" Stefania directed the imps leftward, closer to the boatless survivors.

"Hi! I'm Stefania, Queen--"

There went the cat, leaping forwards towards the shore and away from Stefania. Undeterred, she continued as the woman leapt onto the boat.

"Of the Curse Imps, and future De--"

And there went the woman, jumping off the boat and onto an airborne artillery shell holy poo poo!!!!" Stefania's jaw dropped open, only regaining her composure just in time to get the imps to shunt the boat out of harm's way.

Improved Impvasion: 4d6 15

"Get us to the shore!she yelled to the imps, "I'll get those cannons shut up for good!"

Stefania clenched her fists and gathered her energy once more.

"You can't escape friendship forever!"

Blow Them All to Hell Which I Actually Think Is Where We Already Are But Still: 4d6 14

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 18
Health: 10/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla
Items: [none]

Vivien called out to her strangely compact savior: the miniature knight that had defied reality with impossible swimming skills. How exactly had the sprite's mysterious power pushed the boat to such an incredible speed? What method was it that let the pixie-spirit phase through the very matter of reality like it was naught but sawdust?

"A proper hail and well met is deserved, fellow Dungeon-delver! It was Cepi Yu, wasn't it? Vivien Lumière-" She paused and watched the knightcerer flicker in place.

"I must thank you: it is certainly fortuitous to meet someone so chivalrous as you, and so close to the entrance too!" Vivien wasn't sure if she knew how to address the curiously chaotic being properly. "Ah.."

"That was a strange battlecry you uttered earlier while you were phasing through the metal fabric of the boat. What language was that?"

Vivien had to remind herself that - despite her protective instincts - she wasn't actually dealing with a child but rather a childish mentality, one that had yet selflessly thrown caution to the wind for her sake. Vivien reminded herself once again of the pixie's bizarrely-manifested powers, and nodded in assent to the tiny creature.

"I trust you'll be able to handle yourself without my assistance for the time being?"

Vivien's eye had been caught by two of the other Dungeon-delvers that chanced to be nearby: ones that she deemed needed her help the most.

One of them was the primary occupant of the other boat - the boat that was drawing all the magi-tek artillery fire - that young Demon Summoner and her hell imps. She may be oriented towards the blacker summoning magics, but her immense firepower was making short work of the enemy's defenses. A passing vampire had redirected the witch's boat for its own purposes and she risked taking a direct hit to the hull.

Vivien spun her magics about the witch, Stefania. This should help her and her troublesome ilk survive the magical onslaught:

Enchanting: Concussive Magi-Shield on Stefania: 5d6 16

Vivien's other target was a cat, a cat attempting to leap across the caustic chemical ocean to a trap-infested beach. How did it get in here, anyway? What made it think it could possibly jump so far? Vivien had to spare the poor creature an assuredly deadly bath.

Enchanting: Levitate on Cat: 5d6 18

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2017 around 14:15

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017



Prince of Space posted:

Vivien had to spare the poor creature an assuredly deadly bath.

Enchanting: Levitate on Cat

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 15
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


Cepi huffed and puffed, trying very hard to not seem self-satisfied by the praise, but failing despite her best efforts. "Ahaa! This but the duty of a Knightcerer my fair maiden, you need not consider yourself in my debt for righteousness needs not a reward!"

"As for mine tongue, it has no name", well, there were several names, but glitchies never were organized enough to actually settle on any official moniker, "But know that it's the language of the world itself! Of all that is or could be, yes! It is a mighty tongue, to be used for the defense of the innocent ONLY!", she glowered at Vivien but for a moment, as if trying to drive a lesson on morals into he head of a child, before catching herself.

"Erm... but yes! Worry not yourself on my behalf! I shall scout for us a prime location for a landing on your behalf, for the eyes and ears of righteousness SEE ALL!"

Well, they could at least be almost anywhere. If you were a glitchie, that is. And so, as glithfire enveloped her face, a strange sight appeared on shore as pieces of Cepi's anatomy failed to properly sync up.



Glitchweaving to scout for a good boat landing zone: 5d6= 20
Taken that MY EYES are at peril, trying to buff my Defense with Glitchweaving: Glitchweaving 5d6 vs Shield of Lag 5d6 = 13 vs. 17 FAILURE...

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Wilma]

Bio:
Wilma was a medium, like her mother before her, and her mother before her, and HER mother before her. And just like all of them, she was a fraud. There were no ghosts, there was no magic, and there was no life after death. And then, one day, she went to her bingo hall - only it wasn't there. There was a hole in its place, and it spoke to her in the voices of the dead. Unable to resist them, she walked down into it to face her destiny.

[Skills]
Scry [5d6]: Wilma has always had a crystal ball, but now she can actually see stuff in it. She'll attempt to communicate with the spirits of the dead to sort out what's about to happen, where she should go, and how the hell she got here.
Cry [1d6]: If she's overwhelmed, she may fall over and just cry under the stress of it all. What the hell IS that? Ah!
Gamble [3d6]: Gambling makes sense to her. Bingo, slots, just making it up as she goes along. She hopes fervently there's a casino around here. Hopefully with drinks.

[Powers]
Fledgling Psychic Power [4d6]: Wilma lashes out blindly with her power, an ability that only here seems to have some kind of tangible effect on the world.

[Defense]
Appropriately Terrified By All This [2d6]: Wilma is scared as hell and will run, cringe, and hide as best she can.

Talent (Chocolate):
Channel Wilma can hear the ghosts, now, can almost touch them. If she's feeling brave enough, maybe she'll reach out to one. On a success, Wilma can select a Talent from any fallen delver (who has Haunts remaining) and automatically roll once more to determine her success with it. If successful, it will activate as expected. If it fails, she will face consequences according to the level of Talent emulated.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

I thought it would be a good idea to give everyone an indication of the different dice pool ranks actually translate to in terms of difficulty, so here is a Skill Primer to do just that.

1d6: Hitting the broad-side of a barn.
2d6: Hitting the narrow side of a barn.
3d6: Hitting a barn window.
4d6: Hitting a man hiding behind the barn window.
5d6: Headshotting the man behind barn window.
6d6: Headshotting the same man, but disabling his language center instead of outright killing him
7d6: Surgically removing the left eye of the man behind the barn window, without causing him any more harm.
8d6: But also not alerting him to what you have done.
9d6: But also making him think it was his fault, somehow.
10d6: But also making him think he never had that eye to begin with.

Similarly, a Talent Primer using the same example.

Vanilla: Large bonus to hitting barn broadsides.
Chocolate: Guaranteed to hit the broad side of anything that can be construed to count as a barn.
Mint: Able to punch the width dimension out of a barn.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012



Sky-iryk



pre:
Skills: Morph: [5d6], Master-spy: [4d6]
HP: 10/10, 
Powers: Ravage: [4d6]
Defense: Agile defense: [2d6]
Talent: Mass metamorphosis
Current form: Human, female, Duchess Lisila Amgwina
Inventory: Bastard sword, Kobold Quality MagiTek Lasgun
When Emille doesn't reply to her, she turns back towards the Old Man. Emille is doing... something to him, but it's not clear to Sky-iryk what her goal is. She suspected he is the key to leaving this floor, and he's probably lying about being just another dweller stuck in here. She enhanced all her senses and used her extensive knowledge of various life form's bodies and her instinct to be able to tell when someone is lying and suss out what they really want. She focused all of this on the Old Man, using whatever Emille was doing and his reaction to it observe and learn as much about him as possible.


Skill - Morph : Boost Master Spy [5d6] vs [4d6]: 20 vs 20 Success!

Skill - Master Spy (boosted) to suss out what's the deal with the Old Man [4d6]+[5d6]: 31

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
The Beach Beyond Darkness



[Vivien Lumière, Cepi Yu]

Vivien looks on in some shock and a little amusement as the tiny fairy inverts her own head to get a better look at the shore.

Glitchweaving: 20 vs MagiTek Wards: 16 = Partial Success!

With her eyes splayed out to their full surface area instead of being confined into a sphere, the forest of pines and cones can take in that much more light, and in turn convert it into a somewhat coherent image for the fairy to waylay to her stalwart ally.

First and most immediately relevant, the entire shore is lined by large dull gray pyramidal stones, making any attempt at getting anything larger than a medium sized (in fantasy-role-playing-terms) deepdelver onto the beach itself.



Additionally, she could tell that the heaviest fighting was in the middle and to the right, but that both enemy fire and deepdelver ships tapered of the further to the left that she saw.

Thusly advised, Vivien took it upon herself to cast more of her enchantments about, to the benefit of deepdelvers all around her.

Shield of Explosion Resistance: 16 / 6 = tier 2, cast upon Stefani

Levitate (Shield of Horrible Alchemical Toxin Resistance): 18 = Tier 3 cast upon Cat

[As nothing untoward happens with your boat, it continues on its path and will arrive at shore at the beginning of the next turn.
As you have had partial success in scouting out locations, you may pick from either a random one, the middle where the fighting is strongest or the far left edge where it is weakest.]


---

[Cat, Countess Nezera Amaris]
Cat bounded with incredible speed from corpse to soon to be floating corpse, sometimes landing on old, dud shells or the remains of metal-ships that had yet to be fully consumed.

Feline Instincts: 18 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastewater: = 21 = Failure!

It had gone well so far, all things considered, but the bodies were becoming scarcer and the metal debris far more riddled with holes as the distance to the enemy positions was decreasing. Cat leapt once more and landed badly, sipping on a blood stained surface...

Cat Reflexes + Tier 3 Levitate: = 32 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastewater: 10 = Success! Levitation decreases to tier 2!

and felt an odd sensation envelop it, saving it from the terrible waters and sweeping it high into the air!
It took but a moment for its superior feline reflexes to adjust to the new way of moving, and soon it was virtually swimming through the air.

Feline Instincts: 19 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastemist: 23 = failure!

The air however, was anything but safe. It was not enough to simply dodge the stray bullets of incoming fire, it also had to contend with clouds of noxious fumes that rose from the surface of the water.

Cat Reflexes + Tier 2 Levitate: = 21 vs Horrible Alchemical Wastemist: = 22

It tumbled through the air hither and also dither, but it was not enough. The smell of singed fur permeated the air as the supple coat took the brunt of punishment.

[Failure! Cat takes 1 damage! Additionally, you will arrive at a random place along the shore dazed and slightly out of breath, though this means little as far as actual mechanics are concerned.]

--

[Nezhra]
Much like the cat, the Vampire attempted the impossible. Jumping first across delvers, then debris until finally reaching another boat entirely, aided slightly by its occupants!

[Reaching her Imp-erial Majesties Vessel = Auto Success! One hazard avoided!]

Buffed Supernatural Movement: 24 vs MagiTek Howitzer Battery = MagiTek Howitzer: 17 = Skill Success!

Against all reason, the countess leaps once more from the boat and on top of the rapidly approaching Magi-Tek Shells, and from them to the next wave approaching not too far behind those, and so on ad delirium, speeding across the waters far faster than the naked kobold eye can see. It doesn't take her long at all to reach the shore, skipping from shell to shell to bullets, pirouetting at one point from a deepdelver sword raised high into the air, aimed for a strangely armed lizard-monsters head! His arm breaks as the weight of the vampire comes to bear on the tip of his sword and he falls to a mass of foes shortly after, but Nezhra has other things on her mind: The fiends who would dare fire upon her in the first place!
Just a few more paces to go... unless of course, the smell of freshly spilled blood would prove more enticing

[Success! Since you beat the enemy roll with more than one rank, you may choose to either land amongst the enemy artillery emplacement, or the middle part of the shore where the fighting is the thickest!]

---

[Stefania]
Marveling at the spectacles surrounding her and the violence and depravity of it all, Stefania corralled her imps to avoid the very shell the countess had just kicked down her way accidentally!

Improved Impvasion: 15 vs MagiTek Howitzer: = 14 = Success! No damage taken!

The explosion shook the boat greatly and threatened to bury it under a wave of toxins, but at the last moment a brave and somewhat suicidal imp flew away from the ship, summoning his full reserve of fire to blast the boat out of harms way. Stefania felt the sting as the imp was banished moments later, but losing one imp instead of all of them had to be considered an acceptable price in the circumstances.

[Success! No damage taken!]

In retaliation, she summoned an absurdly large fireball originating from a mining accident in some far off world and lobbed it at the far away cannons, hoping it would be enough to cease their thunder.

Demonfire: 14 vs MagiTek Howitzer Wards: 12 = Success! One damage dealt! Howitzer #2 blows up!

When the shells stopped raining down on her, she knew she had bested them and could continue the rest of her relatively short trip unmolested.

[Success! You defeated the MagiTek Howitzer Battery! Feel good about yourself and take your pick out of all available landing locations, or make one up! (as long as it is somewhat consistent with the available options)

---

[Everyone]
Having successfully navigated the water hazards, a fresh batch of challenges faces the third-wave deepdelvers:

Hundreds of lightly armoured but heavily armed Kobolds!


Dozens even heavier Kobold gun-emplacements!


Several Scattered groups of terrified deep-delvers who probably aren't hostile!


Three heavily fortified bunkers, with even larger guns still intact!


Two heavy artillery batteries! Two smoking craters filled with dazed survivors!


An egg that everyone seems to be fighting over!


And in the far distance, overseeing the battlefield, a dark and ominous stone claw, raised in defiance of the heavens.


---

How many of each you end up fighting depends mostly on where you go ashore, with the middle-shore having the worst of it, but also the most potential for loot and the most other bodies in the way to take the brunt of the enemy forces attacks.
The leftmost shore is nearly barren by comparison, and entirely avoid of deepdelvers, meaning you will have it to yourself after you clean up the few defending troops. Choose well, Deepdelvers!


--

[Wilma]
You wake up in a metal drop-ship in some kind of war-zone, reminding you of the more realistic type of documentary war-film that you never really cared for in your earlier life. People are dying all around you, but that isn't the worst part.

The worst part is the already dead, and how much noise they keep making that you know by all rights they should not be able to make.


"save me! help me! what is going on? where am i? who are you? what are they? can anyone hear me? what are those things! it burns! it burns! it burns! am I dead? are you dead?
Oh sweet I'm a ghost! someone tell my family I love them! Keep fighting men, For King Norman! I thought there would be treasure? She promised me my hearts desire! Patrick, you traitor! I'll have your head for this!"


[Save vs 3d6 Spooky Ghosts or take one damage and wash up where the fighting is thickest, otherwise you may pick and choose where to go!]

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010



Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


Stefania shed a single tear of pride as her boat was shunted just outside the range of the blast. Now there was an imp that had gone above and beyond the call of duty. He was definitely getting a promotion. Her eyes blurred a bit as she mentally sifted through the names of the imps over her command. Looks like that was... Skivnazzagar, the Feeling That You're About to Sneeze But It Never Comes. Right! Sure, it'd be quite some time before he reincorporated enough to be resummoned, but she'd make sure to remember his sacrifice.

The boat jolted as it ran ashore, and Stefania poked her head out to survey her landing site, quickly ducking as a torrent of bullets spewed out at her from a nearby bunker. From what she'd been able to see, it looked like they'd landed right on the middle of the beach, where the fighting was thickest around... some sort of egg? Huh. Still, that wasn't going to matter if that bunker was keeping them stuck on the boat. Fortunately, she had an idea.

"Alright everyone! Abyssal Dragon Formation, just like we practiced! You--Obastoiza! Be ready to throw open the front door when I'm about to fire!"

As the imps assumed their (actually entirely inconsequential) positions and started channeling their power into Stefania, she started waving her hands dramatically and chanting (which was *also* entirely unnecessary, but what kind of Demon King would do things the boring way?). Eventually, as she reached the limit of what she could hold, her voice reached a shouted crescendo.

Imps! Lend Me Your Energy!: 4d6 10 vs. Charging Up Hellfire!: 4d6 8 Success!

"FORBIDDEN TECHNIQUE! SEVEN POINTED FLAME OF THE ROARING ABYSS! CONSUME!"

Burn to Cinders! Chaotic Flame!: 8d6 32

The door swung open and Stefania released the power, falling over backwards onto a pile of imps as an eye-searingly brilliant streak of demonic energy soared at the entrenched bunker.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 10/10 (1/1HP, 8/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Initiative: 17

Cat landed... somewhere. Hacking and coughing, on the beach. Urgh.

The acid bath, the burning mist. That should have killed a small animal like Cat, but she was totally unaffected.

Those of a mystical nature seen one of Cat's 9 lives burn away from her body and drift away into the aether, killed by the acidic onslaught. The cat soul was drawn across the water, pulled by a mystical well drawing it in, Wilma. It rubbed against her leg and mewed, ghostily. (another spooky ghost harrasses Wilma!).

All of this was completely lost on Cat.

The guns crackling, her ears pressed against her head as she hissed in the general direction of the kobold gunners. Where was that friendly vampire? Cat's senses went on overdrive, watching for danger, reacting to the slightest movement.

Buff Cat reflexes with Feline instincts: 5d6-5d6 6 Success

The Kobolds were massive to the small, damp Cat. Everything on the beach seemed large threatening. Everyting was just so. Oh hey, whats that?



It's so shiny, so enticing.

"meow!"

But everyone seems to be fighting over the egg? Worthless. Pathetic. Egg was cat's.

Regard the egg fighters with derision: 3d6 8

They didn't seem to notice the cat that had wandered into their midst.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 10/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Used]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


Nezera touches down amidst the twisted wreckage, surprisingly softly in light of the trail of broken bodies and misdirected artillery she's leapt across on her way to this point. Ensconced in wreckage, Nezera pulls a small mirror from a pocket and adjusts a hair that has fallen out of place. She lifts her leg for a quick spot check and gives a little nod, the heavy charms on her clothing having replaced the material damaged by the acidic ocean. A handkerchief is produced from thin air and after a few quick dabs on the mouth she has removed the final remnants of her Delver snack.

The scene has been quiet long enough that those members of the MagiTek Howitzer artillery crew may have begun to rouse themselves, glad that they've escaped serious harm from the explosions, but the faint tinkle of laughter followed by the ear-wrenching screech of metal quickly removes that hope. With a causal flick of the wrist Nezera sends a twisted mass of slag off into the distance, ricocheting it off of one of the nearby bunkers.

Stepping down from her makeshift shelter, Nezera tightens a fist and gives a regal smile to the Kobolds as she stalks toward them with violence on her mind "Hello little friends. I'd love to make a proper introduction, but I'm afraid I need you all to die now. I can't have you telling your betters where to find me."


quote:

Action 1
Flinging a chunk of artillery slag at one of the bunkers with Unnatural Strength at 12. "Target" the one Stefania attacked if it's still up and one of the undamaged ones if not.

Action 2
Using Unnatural Strength to mop up the artillery crew with an 18. Don't want them shooting me in the back when I move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Dinosaur Gum


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 18
Health: 10/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla
Items: [none]

Vivien peered out from the safety of the metal boat and looked out upon the battle-strewn beach. She knew that there was a large cream-colored Egg nestled in the very epicenter of the war-torn beach, right where all the fighting was focused. That must be something terribly significant to the dungeon! Vivien knew, deep down - it was important that she make it there in one piece along with the others. Then and only then could she find out what the Egg meant for their survival.

But how to make it past the other delvers fighting amidst the intense barrages of magi-tek weaponsfire? Vivien knew of just the spell to overcome such unwanted attention - one that redirected an attacker's blows to strike against them, be they near or far. She summoned up her knowledge of the arcane Reflection spell: it comprised of a complicated network of mental sigils and precise gestures to form the interlocking wards. She felt the spell slotting into place around her and she pushed on it.

Enchanting: Buffing Reflect onto Aegis of Camelot: 5d6-4d6: 14-15 = -1

Too soon! The mirror-bubble in her mind shattered all around her and dissipated. She lightly tutted under her breath. Surely she was better than this - concentrate, Vivien! Okay, for now her normal arcane protections would have to do, unless...

Enchanting: Invisibility on Self: 5d6 11

As Vivien's appearance began fading from view, she darted out from her cover and made her way across the beach. She walked briskly but lightly, keeping low alongside any available cover. She did her best to avoiding making physical contact with any of the other Delvers on the beach (to avoid inciting panic), seeking only to find the safest and most direct pathway to the Egg.

If no one else got to it first, that precious unborn creature of chaos was going to be hers.

e: forgot Initiative lasts the entire floor

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2017 around 14:15

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »