Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 15
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


Enemy fighters! The sounds of combat! Indeed, it was a certainty that many an innocent had to be tangled in the violent conflagration at middle shore. And as a knightcerer, Cepi couldn't possibly turn her back to such a thing. She would guide the boat, let it be her steed, and use the momentum to bowl over the enemy troop with her at the prow like a figurehead of old.

The concrete pieces were on the way of course, but as a glitchie Cepi was very well acquainted with the fact that things often seemed larger than they actually were.

But then again...

There were innocents on board, weren't there? If it was just herself, she would have no qualms, but putting innocents at such risk where she to fail, unforgivable! That fair maiden (...where'd she go anyway?) was a powerful sorceress clearly but she probably couldn't take such a crash.

Hrm. But then what was she to do, what was she to do? Her eyes happened upon the strange EGG. She felt a... strange, ancestral sort of kinship with that item. Must have meant that it was a holy artifact! Yes, a knightcerer could never go wrong by questing for a holy artifact!

And so, Cepi starting lag-warping towards the item in question as fast as she could.

Going to the Middle Bit with all the fighting!

Glitchweaving to Buff Spear of Corruption by messing with the concrete obstacles' hitboxes to perform a Boat Ramming Maneuver: 5d6-3d6= -4 FAILURE...
Glitchweaving to Lag-warp towards EGG: 5d6 = 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

[Floor Λ]
[The Path]

Wave 1-2



[Molriir]
Molriir, searching for a way to lift the Old Mans spirit, complimented the length of his beard.

Heartstone: 15 vs Despair: 2 = Success! Overskill! ↩ Failure!

But the old man merely sighed, with a sound like the rattle of a spoon in a well full of dry leaves.

--

Not one to be dismayed, the dwarf collected his gear and from his backpack drew a mighty grappling hook, swinging it with practiced ease across the uncertain gap between one cloud path and the next.

Dwarf Educated: 13 vs Impossible Geometries: 21 = Failure! ↩ Success!

The grappling hook fell sideways at around the halfway point, pulled in by an unseen flux of dungeon-gravity, but the dwarf held on tight and managed to get it to loop around in on itself with a lucky flick of the wrist, causing the hook to shoot out at an odd angle and embed itself in another column of clouds that coincidentally passed straight over the path where the shades of his relatives were wandering.



Eager to reconnect with them, Molriir quickly climbed the wire, though after some re-adjusting perspectives found it easier to walk across it like a tight-rope instead. Well on the other side, he ran at the spectre he had identified as Drynner, horrified when his intended manly-hug-of-homecoming passed through his clan-brother like rain through a sieve.

Eyeless, the Drynner-Creature stared back at him, uttering a single word.


Einskis.

Einskis: 11 vs Unbelievably Stubborn: 21 = Failure! ↩ Success! 2 damage taken!

[Ouch! Looks like there is some Trauma to deal with here. Roll against 2d6 hopelessness. Fail and you succeed. Succeed and you fail, giving you a 1d6 hopelessness shame!]


--

[Emille]
Emille occupied herself with spellcraft as her Mentor droned on, explaining to her his life story. It was of course, terribly fascinating, but it did nothing to solve her current dilemma of being trapped in an endless plane of despair.
She sought to enkindle the flame in herself, to restore some of what had been lost.

Pyromancy: 9 vs ??? New Mechanic Unlocked!
[Okay, here is how healing works for now. You roll an appropriate skill, dividing the result by six to arrive at the final amount healed score. In this case, a 9 would equal one point of health restored. In addition to this, your hard-cap will be reduced by [health restored / 2] - in this case resulting in Emillies total health pool increasing and decreasing to [9/9]. However, since this is The Path this is not what happens.]


But her magics backfired, and the flame within her doused, slowing her metabolism and making her sluggish. She knew not what had gone wrong, but she certainly felt the worse for wear.



[Success! ↩ Failure! You lose one Hp, however, your hard-cap remains un-reduced. You are now at 5/10 health.]

Shuddering in the chill of failure, she turned her attention to the old man, inflicting her fiery magics upon him to ignite his passion once more.

Pyromancy: 15 vs Lethargy: = 2 = Success! Overskill! ↩ Failure!

But the man looked more forlorn than ever, and he stared at her with broken eyes, looking past her pride and soul, to find her shame.


"Don't bother."

It is pointless...: = 6 vs Parry: = 16 = Failure! ↩ Success! 2 damage taken!

[Ouch! In addition to the damage, you must now roll against 2d6 hopelessness. Fail and you succeed. Succeed and you fail, giving you a 1d6 hopelessness shame!]

--

[Sky-iryk]
The Duchess went uncharacteristically quiet as the others did their best to improve their lot, almost fading into the shadowless background as her assassination protocols fired into full gear and her master-spy training kicked in. There was something very peculiar about the old man, and she was determined to figure out what that was.

The first obstacle that hit her sneaking stride was actually figuring out where the old man was. Or rather where he wasn't, as he seemed to be everywhere. Wherever she looked, the old man stared back at her, but when she approached him he was gone, only to have appeared - equally distant - in another direction. Neither did he stick to the paths, as the other shades who walked them endlessly. He simply sat in his chair, breathing his raspy breath, countenance cold as death.

Boosted Master Spy: 31 vs Nowhere to hide: 3 = Success! Overskill! ↩ Failure!


Creeping upon a foe that seemed omnipresent was frustrating to say the least, for whichever way she turned then there he was.
Not even giving her the satisfaction of a villain smiling smugly as he bested her, only to drop his guard. No. He simply sat there, his silence making a mockery of her efforts.

Lethargy: 6 vs Agile Defense: 5 = Success! ↩ Failure! No damage taken![/i]

She sprang back to her feet, avoiding his gaze for now and focusing instead on the mantra her anti-psy-ops training: When in doubt, shut it out.

--

[Everyone]
All around them, on paths both near and far, figures both familiar and strange turned their attention to the deepdelvers, their stares mimicking that of the old man in his chair. They said nothing, but the weight of their observation was heavy enough.



[Uh-oh! You have their attention now! You may dodge this 3d6 Socially Awkward Situation via ingenious skilluse, failing on a success and succeeding on a failure, granting you the 1d6 Socially Awkward Shame if you, uh, fail.
If you refuse to waste an action on defending yourself, you will also take one damage.]

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Wilma]

Wilma did not like what was happening, not one bit! "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, what the HELL have I gotten into? What is this Saving Private Ryan poo poo and oh my GOD would you shut up!?" She curled up on herself and rocked back and forth, uselessly slamming her hands over her ears. So many! This had to be The Gift, but she didn't want it anymore, she didn't want to be here anymore! She chanted in a low drone - gibberish to impress the rubes back home - and hoped fervently that this was all a dream.But it wasn't a dream, and some of the voices were getting into her head. One was louder than most, and beckoned with claws reddened with blood or something worse. A vengeful spirit of one who perished called to her, and she opened like a flower in the sun.Then slammed her mind shut again, reeling in an additional layer of confusion. She vomited over the side of the rocking boat, distractedly watching tiny bits of chicken nugget boil away. She slumped against the metal side of the boat and moaned vague prayers towards whoever was listening. She closed her eyes against the onslaught, taking in a few moments of blessed darkness before she had to face it all again. She opened her eyes - and Slid's ghostly form took her by the throat.

"GIVE ME MY VENGEANCE! SPREAD MY RUIN ACROSS THE LAND!" She did something and Wilma's eyes rolled back into her head. She felt a great gate opening.
Wilma coughed and shook, her voice raw from the alien roar that had escaped her throat. This sucked. This was not a good time at all. She looked behind them for the hole that she'd stepped through to get here, but she wasn't getting out of here that easily. The ghosts whispered and pleaded and she whimpered.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
Floor 1
The Beach Beyond Darkness


[Everyone]
The bunker-guns thundered in the night, even as the howitzer batteries were silenced for good. The Koboldian weapons were large and terrifying, but even more sinister was the far-off obelisk, menacing with a single spike of itself.
The defenders, Kobolds all, were numerous, but the deep delvers kept on coming in their waves of seven or less. Not all made it to the shore.

--

[Vivien Lumière]
First of the new wave of deepdelver on the scene of battle was Vivien, poking out of the metal ship cautiously only to be greeted by hails of fire and visions of carnage.
She quickly darted back into the relative safety of the boat and began weaving her magics. First, a spell of protection to render the beach assault less suicidal and her wards stronger.

Enchanting: Buffing Reflect onto Aegis of Camelot: 5d6-4d6: 14-15 = -1 = Failure

But try as she might, her already formidable defenses could not be further enhanced.
And secondly, invisibility so as to render even having to defend be moot.

Enchanting: Invisibility: 11 vs ?? = Success! New-ish mechanic unlocked! (Stealth!)
The way this will work is as follows: For this round, your roll of eleven will be pitched against the enemies Initative, representing their general Alertness.
Those with a higher value than 11 will be able to target you, whereas those with a lower value will not. The effect lasts for two updates or until you break stealth by performing an overt action such as an attack.


Vanishing from sight, Vivien hops out of the metal boat and right into the thick of things, leaving naught but footsteps in her wake!

--

[Cat]
The cat was on edge, skittish but in control. It saw EGG and knew its destiny, creeping through the narrow gaps left by the stone teeth meant to hinder much larger creatures than she.

Buff action success! Defense raised to 10d6 for the round!

And if anyone did notice her, her indifferent eyes would make them think twice about stopping her!

Stealth action success! Only enemies with initiative > 8 will be able to target you!


--

[Stefania]
Whilst the Vampire had broken the first living contender that she saw, the Witch was probably, contrary to her downright adorable appearance, the most dangerous fighter, having already destroyed two of the Koboldian Forces heavy artillery batteries.

Yet her appetite for destruction had not been sated, and so she took on the power of her imps to summon a frankly ridiculously large fireball – this one taken from the razing of a holy city when the invaders reached the grain stores with their torches – and sent it streaking over the beachbound combatants, like a miniature sun ready to greet the inhabitants of bunker #2 to a brand new day.



Chaos Flame: 32 vs Made of Warded Stone: = 23 = Success! 2 damage dealt!



When the smoke cleared, there was only a single Kobold left in the ruined fortifications, but it sprang into action none the less, leaping over the charred corpse of his clutchmates and onto the manual controls of the Big Gun, eager for revenge!

--

[Bunker #1, #3, #2]

The Kobolds of Bunker #1 and #3 fire at (other) enemy deepdelvers, suppressing them and keeping them from advancing further up the shore.
The Big Gun of Bunker #2 swivled into action, targetting the tiny figure on the metal boat that had come so close to wrecking it.

Big Gun of Bunker #2: = 16 vs Demonic Destiny: 5d6 18 = Failure!

But the Kobold in charge of koblding it was frazzled, and he failed to even hit the broad side of the dropship in question. The Witch was safe, for now.

--

[Kobold Militia]

Various and sundry Kobold Militia fight in many pockets along the beach, targetting any who oppose them!

4x Kobold Milita (initiative 16) vs Viviene's Invisibility (11) = Success!
Kobold Lasfire: 4#2d6 4 10 8 5 vs Aegis of Camelot: = 17 Failure!




Hundreds of Lasfire bolts rain down over Vivienes general direction, but they are so scattered as to be harmless and even when they do come close her magics are strong enough to deflect them.

4x Kobold Militia (initiative 16) vs Cat Disdain (8) = Success!
4#2d6 vs Buffed Cat Reflexes: 34 = Mathematically impossible, automatic failure!


As for the cat, she was far too nimble for their bolts to matter. She advanced unperturbed.

--

[Cepi Yu]
To an outside observer, the Glitchie might appear to be standing still. She wasn't, of course, it was just that her magics interfered with light in such a way as to make it take a while to catch up with her new position.

Lag-warping: 13 interpreted as a stealth-action, meaning only enemies with an Initiative score of > 13 will be able to target you!

Yet the Kobolds were ready for anything, and met her disjointed travel-method with their usual gleeful destruction!

https://i.imgur.com/QrohqtI.jpg

2x Kobold Militia (initiative 16) vs Lag-Warping: 13 = Success!
Kobold Lasfire: 5 10 vs Shield of Lag: 17 = Failure! No damage taken!


Gleeful but ineffective, as Cepi Yu advanced without further issue!

--

[Random Deepdelvers]

Deepdelvers of all shapes and sized advance up the beach, embolded by the great plume of smoke rising from one of the bunkers and the dreaded artillery batteries. They charge the nearest Kobold Militia with wild abandon!

Adventurers Attack!: = 15 vs MagiTek Lightarmour: 13 = Success! One damage dealt!

... and successfully slay a unit of Kobolds before being forced to retreat, pushed back the remaining bunkers and the heavy gun emplacements!

--

[Obelisk]

[Initiative: 12 vs Invisibility: 11 = Success!]
[Initiative: 12 vs Haughty Disdain: 8 = Success!]
[Initiative: 12 vs Lag-Warping: 13 = Failure!]
[Initiattive: 12 vs Deepdelvers: 0 = Success!]




IF==EGG THREATENED ;; VAPORIZE THREAT
IF==MULTIPLE TARGETS ;; PRIORITY == LARGEST THREAT
IF==LARGEST THREAT UNKNOWN ;; RANDOM CHANCE

Random Threat: = 3

The Obelisk, once dark, lit up with a frightening intensity and a sound not unlike the buzzing of a swarm of bees.
The light at the tip of it turned from a dull, blood-red glow to a very exciting blood-red glow which then expanded outwards, targeting a fleeing adventurer at random.


OBLITELASER: = 40 + Piercing 1 vs High-Quality Adventuring Armour: 16 = Success! = 4 + 1 damage taken!
One dice pool of adventurer strength wiped out!


When the light dimmed and your eyes returned to normal, you almost wish they hadn't. All that was left of the once brave deepdelver was a pile of ash and a few charred pieces of bone.

--

[Countess Nezera Amaris]
The Vampire landed in the remains of the artillery emplacement with nary a sound but her own laughter, wresting cold steel from the ground and flinging it at the almost-ruined bunker that the Witch had all but destroyed.

Unnatural Strength: 12 vs Made of Warded Stone (Broken): 13 = Failure!

The thrown debris impacted with other, more dormant debris, scattering wild debris and generally making a mess of things, but the one surviving Kobold that inhabited the place was safe behind the rest of the debris, and so remained alive for now.
Growling slightly at the Kobolds perseverance, Nezera turned her attention to the Kobolds what remained alive in front of her, picking one up bodily and throwing it into another one!

Unnatural Strength: 18 vs MagiTek Lightarmour: = 15 Success! One damage dealt! Threat neutralized!

They pulped most amusingly, tearing a gorge into the ground beneath them from the impact. Nezera smiled, for now she was alone and with none of her enemy made wiser!

--

[Kobold Gun Emplacements]


[6x Kobold Gun Emplacements]
[Initiative: 8 vs Invisibility: 11 = Failure!]
[Initiative: 8 vs Haughty Disdain: 8 = Failure!]
[Initiative: 8 vs Lag-Warping: 13 = Failure!]
[Initiattive: 8 vs Deepdelvers: 0 = Success!]

Kobold Gun Emplacements: 6#4d6 9 17 9 9 11 15 vs High-Quality Adventuring Armour: = 16 = Failure! Success! Faiure! Failure! Failure! = One damage dealt!

If the Obelisk was the tip of the Koboldian spear, The Gun Emplacements were the heart that carried it forward. The beat of their wardrums and the blood of battle. Thousands of lasbolts fried the air into ozone. They didn't have to aim. Not really. The sheer mass of fire made hitting something inevitable. Many deepdelvers dived for cover. Some were lucky. Others not so much.

--

[??? Unknwon Kobold]
A Kobold unlike the others strode out of the bunkers, overseeing the scene. He sneered and took one last puff of his cigarette...


Vanilla Talent: Kobold Chant: = 1

And then he coughed, obviously troubled, extinguishing the used-up stump and quickly removing another one from his pack to smoke that instead. "Lousy Deepdelvers, always stinking up the place."

He hefted his rifle, huge and intricate and scanned the beach for signs of trouble.

[1x Kobold Kommander]
[Initiative: 8 vs Invisibility: 11 = Failure!]
[Initiative: 8 vs Haughty Disdain: 8 = Failure!]
[Initiative: 8 vs Lag-Warping: 13 = Failure!]
[Initiattive: 8 vs Deepdelvers: 0 = Success!]
[Initiattive: 8 vs Nezera: 0 = Success!]
[Initiattive: 8 vs Wilma: 0 = Success!]

Commanders Choice: = 2

And found it, in the form of a Vampire lobbing around both warded concrete and his men as if they were novelty vases in the annual dungeon smash-a-thon. He grinned a terrible grin and pressed his eyes against the scope...

Heavy Bolter: = 19 vs Traumatic Regeneration: 13 = Success! One damage dealt!

The impact came as quiet the shock for countess Nezera, so used to wading into war un-opposed.
A solid metal bolt the size of a babies leg had torn her arm clean off, which normally wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that it had exploded afterwards and sent hundreds of white-hot minute silver balls directly into her re-generation flesh. Getting them all out would take weeks, and now her new arm was all wonky-looking. Simply disgraceful.

--

[Wilma]

The poor, spooked medium cried as Ghosts both real and imagined assaulted her from every angle. At least the Kobolds were ignoring her, whatever they were.
She tried to get up, but the ghosts just kept on coming, pleading with her, swooping at her and even haunting her to the best of their ability. Anything to be noticed. Anything.

[Failure! You take one damage from the angry ghosts, and what is worse they are still angry at you!
Save vs 3d6 Spooky Ghosts or take another point of damage! This time however, the action is free , leaving you with your normal allowance of two to get yourself together!]


--

[Everyone]
The beach is a maddening cacophony of lasers and explosions, all focused around maintaining the integrity of EGG or at least laying claim to it for long enough to... do what exactly?
One thing was certain, everyone, both Kobold and Deepdelver, were keen to get at it, and out of all the being present three of them were equally close.

--

[Cat, Vivienne, Cepi Yu]
EGG lays before you, but so do all manner of ill-mannered Kobolds. Most of them can see you and all of them will should you try for EGG, no matter the stealthiness of your approach.
You may attempt to claim it using an action to roll the highest of a standard 1d100 amongst yourselves. The winner will be immediately shot at by the giant Obelisk.
The highest-rolled survivor may then add EGG to their inventory and act upon it as they see fit.

Alternatively you may use your skills or powers to level the playing field somewhat before going in for the prize. The Obelisk may still fire at you, who knows. The Kobolds almost certainly will in either case. Good luck!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 9/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Used]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


Nezera emits a faint click of the tongue as she realizes her arm has been mangled irreparably for the short term future, but she utters a faint curse when she discovers the true damage that has been dealt. The charm matrices on the fabric of her shoulder piece where it was torn asunder have been disrupted and the fabric has rewoven itself an almost imperceptibly different shade of red.

Quite vexed with the situation she stares out across the battlefield and spots the smug little bastard that has managed to ruin her wardrobe for a few hours. Letting out a snarl she grasps the remaining slag of the howitzer and jerks it up and away from the ground. While there's a distinct screech of metal, Nezera doesn't exactly pick up the large cannon she was aiming to. Instead she discovers that she's torn away the covers surrounding the gun's final chambered shell.

With a wicked grin on her face, the Vampire Countess hauls her new toy onto her shoulder and sprints at the edge of the crater that had once been a proper artillery emplacement. Springing up from the edge into the air for a better vantage point, she hurls the MagiTek shell at the pest that had had the nerve to attack her so brazenly.

quote:

Did some back and forth with Thaum on how to handle scrounging for a Howitzer shell to throw at the Kommander. Ended up going with an attempt at buffing the Howitzer's original dice pool(4d6) as a temporary attack power instead of my own 5d6 pool.


Action 1

Super Natural Movement vs MagiTek Howitzer Failed to buff.

Action 2
Throwing a MagiTek shell at the Kobold Kommander: 13 vs Defense.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Hell Gem


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 18
Health: 10/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla
Items: [none]

Vivien had witnessed the obelisk's attack, had seen the way the blood-red beam of magi-focused light had lanced across the beach and landed upon that hapless adventurer, sizzling his very bones to ash in an instant like so much dragon's fire. Viven knew that that her curative magics would have no way of reversing damage on someone that extensive, especially not when the remains have been so utterly vaporized. She thanked her blessed stars that the obelisk had not noticed her - but if it had, then she was glad that it had targeted someone else for total obliteration.

Vivien didn't know what the accursed obelisk was designed to protect (other than the beach itself), but she had a hunch - it all had to do with that thrice-damned Egg! The egg was surrounded by the small bipedal dragonfolk, armed to their sharp teeth with more of that magi-focused light beam weaponry.

Wreathed in the safety of her invisibility enchantment, Vivien had all the time in the world to get into position and put herself into a spellcasting trance. She knew just the spell - she'd tried it before and only nearly met with success. Reflection: a complicated network of mental sigils and precise gestures form the spell's interlocking wards. She felt the enchantment slotting into place around her and her ethereal Aegis and she pushed on it.

Enchanting: Buffing Reflect onto Aegis of Camelot: 5d6-4d6 2

Ah, such welcome success! The mirror-bubble in Vivien's mind coalesced into reflective semi-being around her. Try firing your beams at me now, you scaly obelisk-worshippers! You'll only be firing on yourselves! She stifled a giggle, too busy trying to imagine all the Kobolds' shocked faces.

Vivien could feel her invisibility spell starting to spark and fizzle in the swirling aether around her, and she knew that the time to act was now. The next part of her plan would be absolutely essential:

Laying claim on Egg: 1d100 94

She leaned down and plucked up the Egg from its protective holster at the center of the war-torn beach. In a conspiratorial tone, Vivien whispered to the Egg. "Don't worry child, you'll be safe with me."

Lifting the Egg high over her head with both arms, she dismissed her invisibility spell in its entirety and yelled "CEASE FIRE IMMEDIATELY oh creatures of chaos or I shall destroy your precious progeny!"

quote:

Action 1
Enchanting: Buffing Reflect onto Aegis of Camelot: 5d6-4d6 2 - Success!

Action 2
Laying claim on Egg: 1d100 94 - Success?

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 10/10 (1/1HP, 8/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Initiative: 17


The egg sat there, waiting to be pounced on. But what was this? Some one else going for the egg? Cat looked up at Vivien and mewed. Well if someone else has Egg, Cat would just have to

Giant red laser pointer obliterates someone on the beach

What's that!? Exciting! Get it get it get it! Cat leaps over the smoking crater where someone stood moments before, Moving towards the stone claw: 5d6 18 where the laser pointer originated.

Cat meowed in challenge at the laser pointer and attempted to Climb the claw: 5d6 20.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Nov 4, 2017 around 20:22

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 15
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


It was resplendent. The EGG of the Great Creator, as Cepi had decided to call it. She didn't really know why, other than it felt right. Must have been divine inspiration. And it was so, so wrong for something that great to be in the midst of such an ugly battlefield.

It was not right! It was not right! But no matter how much Cepi pouted, reality refused to change.

The next best thing, then, was to protect the FAIR MAIDEN who had taken it upon herself to protect EGG. Cepi blinked to her side, and waved her lance angrily at the Tower to stop it from harassing such a defenseless woman.

Somehow this caused the lance to poke at the damage calculation formula of the construct, making the laser both hot pink an also slightly weaker.

Mint Talent: Rewrite the Matrix: 1d4= 2
Glitchweaving to give Vivien Shield against Oblitelaser: 5d6 = 19

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Please... Don't read this post where other people can see...

Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


While Stefania was quite pleased with the results of her fireball, it was rather spoiled by the Obelisk turning some poor adventurer into ash. That was cheating! Acheron was supposed to be about personal glory, not... whatever that was! Rolling up her sleeves, Stefania prepared to lay the nastiest curse she could think of on that thing.

Curse the Obelisk!: 10#1d4 3->1

Which turned out to be remarkably curse-proof, which wasn't that surprising in retrospect. It was a giant magically-reinforced doom-weapon building, after all. Well, it could just go on being all high and mighty and indestructible, she could find other things to do. Finally stepping onto the beach, Stefania started sending streaks of fire at the bolter emplacements. It looked like they were about to start firing on the woman with the egg, and while she didn't have any idea what the egg was actually for, it was clearly important to whatever was going on here. Better to have it in the hands of a fellow delver (who hopefully wouldn't be obelisked into ash).

Burn the Bolters!: 4d6 14

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

...

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

...

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!

Grimey Drawer

Molriir Hearthstone
HP: 8/10
Initiative: 16
Skills: Educated Dwarf [3d6], Hearthstone [4d6].
Power: *Superior Quality Repeating Crossbow* [3d6]
Defense: Unbelievably Stubborn [5d6]
Shame: Hopelessness, Socially Awkward.
Inventory: Backpack o' stuff (delicious rations, oil, rum, etc.), Hearthstone Shield (+1d6 to a Defense against physical dangers - any nearby stone receives increased durability and tensile strength).

Einskis posted:


Einskis

-2 HP!

Molriir took a step back, staggering as if struck at the accusation. He'd Lost something, just now, and he was lost himself. So incredibly lost, far from where he ought be. How could he have let himself be ensnared by this trap? Hopelessness enveloped him.

[4d6] Hearthstone vs [2d6] Hopelessness: 9 vs 5 Reversed! Failure! Apply [Shame].

The eyes of a thousand fading shades fell on him, witnessing his embarassment and shame. Hells, their knowing looks seemed to contain the ken of all his shames, his many failures, his stupid, stupid pride, and every single body and soul he had let down over the years. Molriir's cheeks burned, and he buried his face in his hands. Having his deepest secrets exposed like this was too much to bear.

[4d6] Hearthstone - [1d6] Shame vs [2d6] Socially Awkward: 16 vs 11 Reversed! Failure! Apply [Shame].

"... einskis ek."

He fell to his knees with the admission, holding back tears. He could not deny the accusation. He held true, however, swallowed hard and dared to gazed up at the judgemental shade. His fists closed, his brow knitted. This realm had fallen oppressively upon him, had abused his memories, had taken a chunk out of his sense of self, had embarassed him well and truly... but he already bore his share of burdens. He could bear a couple more.

"... ye want me Lost, shade?"

Molriir rose to his feet, cheeks burning bright with anger as a thousand empty stares bored into him. It had been long since he'd felt so exposed, raw and broken, and it made him mad and awkward.

"It won't be 'ard, ye ken. End me existence and I'll be Lost well and true. Unlike th' younger peoples, we Orthn were ne'er cursed with souls or gods - we donnae linger. In th' hells, soulthirstin' devils e'en looked at me and saw nae but dirt. That's th' trick o' goin' t' hell and back, ye see... don't be worth th' bother."

The dwarf's laugh was mirthless, hopeless, and likely entirely in line with what the shade had been expecting to hear. It thought, perhaps, that this one was well on his way to despair.

[4d6] Hearthstone - [2d6] Shames to buff [4d6] Einskis: 6 vs 12 Reversed! Success!

It reckoned wrong, which might be why it seemed so put off when Molriir stepped closer, his bitter laugh transforming into a chuckle as the end of a finely crafted auto-crossbow was set against its chest.

"But ye'll 'ave t' be better than tha'. Me name's Molriir Hearthstone Marnavir, shade. I'm an errant spark o' Orth. I'm th' earth heavin', th' hearth holdin', the mud brave. I'm Orthn, ken it! As long as I draw breath, nae matt'r how 'opeless it be, I'll nae let ye 'ave it yer way, ye blasted fake!"

*KA-THUNK* *KA-THUNK* *KA-THUNK* *KA-THUNK*



[3d6] *Superior Quality Repeating Crossbow* - [2d6] Shames vs ???: 6 vs ???

"Anyone else wantin' a bolt o' cold iron twixt their arseholeness?! Atch! False Perniir! I see ye runnin', come right back ye, I've got what ye deserve an' then some!"

-------------------------------------------------------------
Welp. So Molriir's not having a good day.

Hopefully, neither will the source of the Einskis.

Edit: Rerolled most of the rolls after misunderstanding how Shames worked.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2017 around 18:56

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Wilma]

HP: 9/10

The ghosts didn't let up, and they tore at her... but she wasn't about to give up here. Die on a boat? It was bad luck! She'd definitely come back as a ghost if she died on a boat. She hated ghosts, now that she knew they were real, and she didn't ever want to be one. She pushed back against them again, but then hauled herself to her feet. There were other people here, strangers (strange strangers!) who were in the same boat as her. Oh, hahaha! Same boat! Very funny. Quiet, ghosts!
Her eyes swam once again, but she couldn't give up yet. She called out: "Hey! Can anyone help me? I'm... I've taken a wrong turn... hello?"
Nothing. Huge surprise. No one ever helped anyone in this life. Well... this wasn't her life anymore, it was something else. And maybe she didn't need help from this life anyhow. She pulled out a battered old crystal ball, passed down through generations of charlatans. She could see things within it now. She held it up, trying to stay steady on her feet, and spoke with a practiced nonsensical patter, her voice growing to a booming intonations.

"GHOSTS FROM BEYOND, I BECKON THEE! HEED MY CALL AND SPEAK UNTO ME! LISTEN WELL AND ANSWER MY WORDS AND TELL ME NOW where the hell I am and how to get out of here safely! Uh, amen?"
Something happened, at any rate.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
Floor 1
The Beach Beyond Darkness


[Vivien Lumière]
Perfectly positioned to reach EGG before the cat, the kobolds and the rest of the deepdelvers, Viviene thought it prudent to first bolster her defenses, especially after seeing what the Obelisk could do.
She waved her hands most magically and hardened the invisible orb around her invisible self, causing it take on a subtly convex and crystalline pattern - in theory, any of the harsher wavelengths would be reflected, whilst still allowing her to see through her shell.

[Buffing Action Success! Defense increased to 9d6 this round!]

Hoping the shield would stand up to the ultimate test, she took a deep breath and reached for EGG.

--

[Everyone]
The collective breath of the beach is held as a deepdelver, wearing the heraldry of Morgan Le Fey, holds aloft EGG as the lady of her legends.

The Obelisk reacts immediately, the sound of angry bees one more filling the air, followed by the stench of ionized oxide.



OBLITELASER vs Buffed Aegis: 9d6-9d6 = 1 = 1+1 damage taken!



Vivienne pushed against the onslaught, tried to remember the words and sigils of her order, but the MagiTek OBLITELASER was an order of magnitude stronger than any force she had ever had to contend with, and try as she might it still broke through, throwing her to the surf, EGG rolling off to the side, though still within reach, still fundamentally hers. She shuddered as her invisibility failed her and every single gun at the beach was aimed in her general direction.
A single bead of sweat rolled down her forehead, or was that her tiara melting? Vivienne would be hard pressed to find out.

--

[Bunker #1, #3, #2]



"New orders from HQ! EGG has been claimed by the enemy! Re-target and fire at will!"

Three Big Bunker Guns: = 18 16 16 vs Buffed Aegis: 9d6 31 = No damage taken!
Three Big Bunker Guns: Special Pinning Attack!: = 13

A series of explosions shattered the ground beneath and around Vivienne as her shield turned incandescent, her mana draining faster than the leylines or her various charms could ever hope to replace it.
Forced to the ground, she could do little else but hold on to her prize.

[The Bunker Guns barrage of attacks have caused you to become pinned! Defeat a dc 13 Pinned Obstacle with a skill-action of your choice, or remain unable to move until the bunker-guns are either destroyed or switch targets]

--

[Cat]
Dreams of egg dashed though her fur saved in the process, Cat up and ignores the combatants, both ally and foe, in favour of rushing at the giant Obelisk that is emitting that oh-so-pretty light.

Cat-like Movement: 18 vs Battlefield Hazards: 18 = Tie goes to player = Success!

Dodging, bobbing and weaving, jumping and zig-zagging through an endless ocean of lasers, Cat avoids most everything as it rushes for the tower, mind focused on only The Hunt.



Though the monolithic structure has no obvious paw-holds on ledges to jump too, Cats are well known for their ability to get anywhere you don't want them to be, and Cat is no different. She extends her claws, and leaps!

Cat-Climbing: 20 vs Made of Obelisk (Tough: 1): 20 = Tie goes to player = Success!

And leaps and leaps and jumps and twists-mid-air as the Obelisk lights up once more, charging for another attack.
Her claws, though sharp, make little headway on the surprisingly tough stone-work and in the end it is only the lingering levitational enchantment that sees her all the way up.
From her new perch, Cat has an unparalleled view of the entire battlefield and can be secure in the knowledge that she is the one entity present that can not actually be OBLITELASERED, at least as long as she doesn't fall off.

[Success! You are safe from pretty much everything! On the other hand, lacking ranged attacks there is not much you can actually DO up there. The only thing of note besides the ominous glowing red crystals is a crown-shaped depression at the very top. It makes for a surprisingly snug bed, should you wish to rest in it.]

--

[Stefania]
The Witch had shown the Kobolds no mercy thus far, and was not about to break her streak. No, she would bury them in an avalanche of stolen fires, though the Obelisk remained annoyingly immune to her acursed touch.

[Talent Failure! Nothing happens!]

Summoning licks of the The Flames of Feyglade, a notorious forest fire raging in an ancient elven forest, the little witch spread her fingers - and the fires they controlled - far and wide, sending embers into the Kobold battlements!

Burn the Bolters!: 14 vs MagiTek Armour: 13 = Success! One damage dealt!



A pair of Kobolds scream in fear and fire and their bolter melts to slag, the emplacement utterly ruined by the spell-slinging child! Another notch for her belt, and one less foe to deal with!

[Success! You rid the world of one emplacement, but there are dozens to go!]

--

[Kobold Militia]


The Kobold Militia has heard their orders, but they are Kobolds and thus inherently unable to completely follow through.

Sketchy Grasp of the Plan vs Orders from On High: 20#2d6-3d6 = 2

Of the hundreds present, only about 10% actually switch up their targets, blasting away entirely ineffectually at Vivienne.

Kobold Lasfire: = 9 8 vs Buffed Aegis: 31 = Failure! Reverse Overkill!

Of course, several teams had already selected her as their target, so even if they DID ignore their orders they were still technically obeying them anyway.

Kobold Lasfire: 6 7 4 9 vs Buffed Aegis: = 31 = Failure! Reverse Overkill!



The orb around Vivienne, now completely opaque, absorbed all incoming fire, before *pulsing* and sending it right back where it came from!

[Reverse Overkill: Reflect Activated! Reverse Kobold Lasfire: 8 9 5 11 10 2 vs MagiTek Lightarmour: 14 12 9 13 13 13 = Miss! Miss! Miss! Miss! Miss! Miss!

The Kobolds dodged and rolled and took a great many lasbolts to their armour, but their armour was made of sterner stuff than their guns, and so most of them crawled away unharmed.

As for the rest of the Kobold Militia, well they had a slew of new targets to pick from, and did so with gusto!

4x Kobold Militia vs Stefania
Kobold Lasfire: 8 7 7 9 vs Demonic Destiny: 15 = Failure! No damage dealt!

4x Kobold Militia vs Wilma
Kobold Lasfire: 10 9 7 2 vs Appropriately Terrified By Lasfire: 8 = Success! Success! Failure! Failure! 2 damage dealt!

4x Kobold Militia (Initiative 16) vs Cepi Yu (Lag-Warping Stealth: 13) = Success!
Kobold Lasfire: 6 6 11 8 vs Shield of Lag: 16 = Failure! No damage dealt!

2x Kobold Militia vs Nezera
Kobold Lasfire: 4 6 vs Traumatic Regeneration: 13 = Failure! No damage dealt!

With the battle well and truly engaged, it was getting hard to see anything beyond evil red flashes of light. The deepdelvers would have to do something, and soon, lest they be blinded by the sheer number of enemy lasers.

--

[Cepi Yu]
Much like the witch-child, the Knight Glicthie attempted a curse of her own. But though she cried both ´ § and ~ in her mysterious tongue, her sourcecodery did not manifest as she wanted, and the world remained unchanged.

[Talent Failure! Nothing interesting happens!]

In a huff, the Glitchie flooded Viveines position with 'packets', whatever they were, secure in the knowledge that any attempt to hit the Maiden Fair with giant lasers would just have to wait its turn.

[Shield-granting success! 19/6 = 3, granting Vivienne a +3d6 ablative shield against the OBLITELASER!]

--

[Random Deepdelvers]


Though their numbers had been reduces, the other deepdelvers fought with vigor, with most attempting to rid the world of Kobolds.

Adventurers Attack!: 17 11 16 vs MagiTek Lightarmour: 3d6 5 = Success! 3 damage dealt, overkill!, 1 damage dealt! 2 damage dealt! = 6 damage dealt in total, six Kobold Militia perish!

And a mighty fine job they did of it too, cutting down swathes of lesser Kobolds with all sorts of weaponary both magic and mundane.
Scalie beasts flew across the beach as the sand turned into beatraps and the wind into shimmering globules of water and heads were knocked clean of off shoulders as the more melee oriented delvers got stuck into the fray.

One deepdelver did not participate in the battle, instead drawing an awful sigil in the sand, using the blood and gore of the fallen.



Mint Deepdelver Talent: The Dance Macabre: 1d4 2

But with all the opposing schools of magic littering the place, and perhaps also due to being under fire, the spell frizzled and the lone deepdelver was left bereaved.

--

[Obelisk]


Clad in cat, the Obelisk finished it's charging and let lose a furious vehement roar, targeting as before the newly-super-buffed Vivienne.

OBLITELASER vs Super Buffed Aegis: 9d6-12d6 = -5 Failure! Piercing Quality Activate! 1 Damage dealt to Vivienne! OBLITELASER shield loses 1d6!

Though shielded against the worst of the lasers effects, Vivienne was not sure how much longer she could remain standing against such a force, but pinned as she was she had to put her faith in her companions, even if she had only just met them.

--

[Countess Nezera Amaris]
Snarling at her attacker, the Vampire kicked the oldand broken artillery cannon apart, finding a large shell - much the worse for wear - deep in its metallic innards.
Her vampire-handling of it has clearly caused it to go inert, but in her rage and with her strength it hardly mattered. One certain Kobold was going to feel it in the morning.

[Buff failed!]

MagiTek Shell Throw: 13 vs Heavy MagiTek Armour: = 14 = Failure, no damage dealt!

Or would, if she had hit. The Kobold Commander was a wily one, and though his weapon was almost as large as himself, his armour let him carry it with the ease of wielding a wilted flower.

--

[Kobold Gun Emplacements]


Placed somewhere in the middle of the Kobold Hierarchy, the Bolter Squadrons received their orders with all due diligence.

Less Sketchy Grasp of the Plan vs Orders from On High: 3d6-3d6 5 = 5 = Failure!

That is to say, they ignored them entirely. There were far too many entertaining targets to pursue.

2x Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Adventurers!
Kobold Gun Emplacements: 19 14 vs High-Quality Adventuring Armour: 17 = 1 damage dealt! One adventurer perishes!

1x Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Vivienne
Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Buffed Aegis: = -12 = Failure! No damage dealt!

1x Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Cepi-Yu
Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Shield of Lag: = -6 = Failure! No damage dealt!

1x Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Stefani
Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Demonic Destiny: -10 = Failure! No damage dealt!

1x Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Wilma
Kobold Gun Emplacements vs Apropriately Terrified By Such!: 4d6-2d6 8 = Success! 2 damage dealt!

With varying success, heavy lasfire filled the night once more, pushing the adventurers back and even killing a few and dealing a grave damage to Wilma!

--

[Kobold Kommander]


Being nominally in charge, the Kobold Commander did not actually have to obey his own orders, and that Vampire had frustratingly survived his previous attack...

Hastily Improvised Plan vs Orders From On High: = 3 = Success!

In the end, his own survival instincts won out. EGG was probably safe behind that glowing bubble of pure lasers in the glass-pit that was the beach where Vivienne once stood. It would be fine. There were bigger fish for him to fry.

Heavy Bolter: 20 vs Traumatic Regeneration: 4d6 12 = 2 damage dealt!

The Heavy Bolter echoed out over the beach, somehow louder than everything else put together. A missile the size of a fist reached out in anger, punching the vampire square in the jaw before exploding all over her face.



She screamed in pain as all the magics sustaining her went into overdrive, charms burning themselves out just to fuel the process.
Her eyes knit themselves back together just in time to see the remaining fragments of shell-casing bury themselves at only slightly subsonic speed inside of her skull.
When it was all over she was still missing her jaw, her left eye was in the wrong place and her ears were ringing from the inside.

To top it all off, her dress was utterly ruined, but in a way that only enhanced her dreadful visage!

--

[Wilma]
Wilma had never been shot by a laser before. Except for that one time with the unfortunate tattoo, but it was nothing quiet like being targeted by these deadly Koboldian machines.
Unfortunately, the Ghosts kept screaming so much she could hardly concentrate on anything else.

[2 defense vs 3d6 attack: Automatic failure! One damage taken!]

She begged them to be quiet, crying out for help!

Cry Out For Help: 2 vs ???: 4 = Failure!

But the World of the Living would not listen, so she called out to the dead in its stead.

Scry Out or Help: 13 vs Spooky Ghosts: 10 = Success!

And the dead; they answered. One mild-mannered ghost stood out amongst the others, its presence giving the other pause. It spoke to her eerily, though it probably had no choice in the matter.


"Oh hello. Are you still alive? I'm a ghost, but I used to be one before anyway so it's OK. I'm not sure The Lady understood this though, so I tried to file a petition, but then all these other ghosts showed up and kinda started following me around.
Sorry if they've been giving you a hard time, they don't know how to get out you see. Like you I guess. As for this place? Well, it's the Dungeon. Some sort of.. maze I guess? Didn't you hear the voice earlier?
Anyway, if you are looking for a way out I think you have to do something with the egg, but I haven't been able to get close. If you want, we can go there together?"

[Success??? You have befriended a living Ghost! He is the current Ghost-Warden of the Beach Beyond Darkness and has some sway over its spectres. If you help him get to the egg, he will help you get out of here safely.]

--

[Everyone]
With the combat still in stalemate and EGG snugly tucked away in a bubble of reflective force-magic, anything could happen. Only one thing was certain, that the Obelisk had to be disabled, lest all of them burn.

--

[Vivienne]

Yip! Let me out! Cast away that filthy tiara, crack the shell and find a Regal Crown within. One worthy of your hamun-skull. Yip yip! Wear me, and all here will bow to your will! Akekekeke!

[Do you accept this offer? If so, add the Kobold Crown (equipped) to your inventory and await further instructions! If not, EGG remains in your inventory, inert, letting you act as per usual.]

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 7/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Used]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.



Right. Well that was quite about enough of that. Heedless of the dangers littering the field Nezera takes off like a shot, headed in a straight line toward the irritating little beast that had been pelting her with his little toy.

Leisurely mantling the bunker's edge, Nezera pops her freshly grown jaw back into place and briefly prods a finger into her eye socket, realigning the out of place orb. Stepping forward she gives a gentle shake of the head "This has been an amusing distraction, but I'm afraid you're losing my interest. I'm going to tear everyone in this place limb from limb." She crooks a finger in the direction of the heavily armored Kommander "Starting with you."

quote:

Action 1
Relocating to the Kommander's bunker with Supernatural Movement Punch number 1 to Kommander's dumb face with Unnatural Strength 7 + 6= 13 (converted move at 3d6 into attack at 5d6)

Action 2

Teaching Kommander how it feels to have your jaw ripped off with Unnatural Strength 23

If action 1 fails and prevents me from actually reaching my destination instead of inflicting damage then I'll huck whatever is handy at Kommander instead.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2017 around 14:52

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Action 1
Relocating to the Kommander's bunker with Supernatural Movement 7

Editors Note:
As of right now, everyone except Vivienne is free to move all over the beach.
The only thing that actually requires a roll to get to is the Obelisk, if only because it is so far away.
As I had neglected to mention this, feel free to remove your move action and make another action of your choice in its stead, unless you want your movement action to be interpreted as a stealth-maneuver.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Wilma]

HP: 4/10

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:


"Oh hello. Are you still alive? I'm a ghost, but I used to be one before anyway so it's OK. I'm not sure The Lady understood this though, so I tried to file a petition, but then all these other ghosts showed up and kinda started following me around.
Sorry if they've been giving you a hard time, they don't know how to get out you see. Like you I guess. As for this place? Well, it's the Dungeon. Some sort of.. maze I guess? Didn't you hear the voice earlier?
Anyway, if you are looking for a way out I think you have to do something with the egg, but I haven't been able to get close. If you want, we can go there together?"

[Success??? You have befriended a living Ghost! He is the current Ghost-Warden of the Beach Beyond Darkness and has some sway over its spectres. If you help him get to the egg, he will help you get out of here safely.]
"YES! Yes! Help me! Oh great spirit, aid me in my time of need! I'm... oh lord, I'm all shot up." She hurt so bad. She'd been hit by a car once, broke a leg, but it was nothing compared to this. People were trying to k- THINGS were trying to kill her! With laser beams, like in those Stars War movies. She would have laughed if she wasn't so terrified. "Great spirit, guide my way as I walk through this nightmare land!" She began to close the gap between her and the 'egg', despite the danger. Crying hadn't helped, and now she was angry. Angry she'd die here, alone and confused, and become one of the lost and hungry things that had plagued her. Terrified that she wasted her life, only to get shot to bits by some lizards. The ghosts whirled around her, howling, and she struck out with her anger and confusion towards the things that had shot her.
Again, she lashed with all her might, screaming incoherent praises towards ghosts that may or may not exist, half-sure that she was having a psychotic break on the street in front of a McDonalds and not caring one tiny iota.
"Spirits of the dead, heed my call and tear down my enemies, boil their guts in their bellies and pop out their eyes and... other horrible things!"

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2017 around 15:12

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Please... Don't read this post where other people can see...

Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


Things were going pretty well for Stefania! She'd inflicted plenty of damage, hadn't taken any in return, and that stupid cheating death beam was focused on that one lady, whose defenses seemed to be holding up perfectly fine. But while this had all been quite fun, she had the nagging feeling that she wasn't actually getting anywhere. Sure, the artillery was all gone, and that one bunker was badly damaged, but... actually, hold that thought, a true Demon King doesn't leave a job half-finished--

Take a Potshot at the Damaged Bunker: 4d6 19

--anyways, there still seemed to be basically infinite kobolds on the beach, and while she could just keep killing them until dusk came and everyone got back up to celebrate together, that was starting to feel like a bit of a waste of perfectly good hellfire. No, that obelisk was important, and she intended to get to the bottom of it. In a very literal sense, it was hard to do anything from this far away. With a few shouted commands, her imps flocked to her, grabbing hold of Stefania and carrying her majestically through the air.

Catch an Imp Ride To That Obelisk: 4d6 10

That was the idea, at least. It ended up being more of a series of large, awkward leaps as imps repeatedly lost their grip, sending her drifting back downwards, but hopefully it would get the job done.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Emille

HP: 3/10
Initiative: 6
Defense: Parry[3d6]
Pyromancy [3d6], Acrobatics [2d6], Adventuring Knowhow [1d6]
Ignite/Quench [3d6], Radiance [2d6], Arquebus [1d6]
The Master's Mark (chocolate): [spent/unspent]
Items: +1 Ring (+1 to a single action every turn), Proud of Being Mentored, Miniature Planet (Plop a full sized planet somewhere)

Emille reeled, both at the hopelessness of this place and her mentor's story. How could he have ever been an overlord, one of the worst kinds of villain? He was never anything but kind to her; she even considered him the closest thing she had to a father. Though she supposed this did explain some of his stranger quirks. Like his affinity for dangerous 'pets' or his weird laugh. Marius seemed to have taken a break, so Emille decided to use the time to find a way out of here.

It was starting to wear on her. She had to get out of here.

In her fatigue, she had one last idea. Do A Bad Job. She and the others weren't getting anywhere doing things right and it made sense to her that this place's 'trick' could be to give into the old guy's hosed up worldview. She turned around to face the staring crowd. The swordswoman unslung her arquebus, pointed at a spot she was sure wouldn't hit, and pulled the trigger.

Action 1: Arquebus[1d6+1] to defuse the Awkward Situation = 6

"La la la la I can't hear you judging me.", intoned Emille, intentionally devoid of enthusiasm. With the situation defused, she turned her attention to the Old Guy. She approached him, pulling a deck of cards from one of her pockets. "Conventional adventuring wisdom says there's only three cures for what you've got: drinking, wenches, and gambling. You won't get the first two from me and let me tell you I am *rotten* at cards."

Action 2: Adventuring Knowhow [1d6] to challenge Old Man to a pointless and terrible card game = 5

While Emille tried to play the old guy in a game of cribbage with no board and only a vague awareness of the rules, Marius continued his tale.

- - -

"I shall skip many of the details of the Tower's workings for now, I do not yet have enough information to know if it would be relevant or not. Well, that and some of the knowledge could be...burdensome. Suffice to say, I made my way up, trying my best to enslave my fellow topseekers while also dealing with the tower's challenges. Easier said than done. My Talent does not work as well on those who also have Talents. Their souls don't have as much *room*, for lack of a better word. But I digress."

"Along the way, I ran into someone I had, uh, history with. The hero, Percival Wright, who was supposed to be trapped in a cursed mirror so he would not get in my way. But Percival always had a knack for getting out of difficult situations. Hell, he even found the kind of sword you only hear about in legends in, like, five minutes. It wasn't long before we came to blows, and he slew me for the first time."

"But that wasn't the end for me. I came prepared. The second he saw it happen, my finest occultist gathered up some troops and followed me in. Once inside, he performed profane rituals, shedding the blood of my loyal soldiers, men who had pledged themselves to me in life and in death. His rituals worked, I came back. And better than ever. But that wasn't enough; Wright had a great deal more success finding allies than I had. They made short work of me. I was on the verge of death when a fellow Topseeker named Carl Odenson offered me a deal I could not refuse. He called it Project Hydra."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2017 around 17:49

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Hell Gem


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 18
Health: 7/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla
Items: Regal Crown

Vivien had threatened them! Oh, she had warned them all what would happen if they fired upon her - and yet they did so anyway! It was infuriating! Creatures of Chaos had no respect for the rules of engagement!

Vivien sizzled with pent-up frustration as she patted out the smoldering hotspots on her robes. The glassed beach around her was still billowing with the smoke and noxious steam that was created by the intense heat of the concentrated lasgun fire. Her arcane defenses had, rather thankfully, held out against the very worst of the Obelisk's main attacks, but even then it took the brave assistance of the proud knight Cepi Yu to allay the worst of it.

Vivien made a mental note to thank the small warrior, yet again, and in such a short period of time, too!

First - however - Vivien had to do something unforgivable: she had to be complicit in the culling of an innocent. She had warned them, after all! Vivien took the Egg of Chaos from above her head and threw it downward with all her might, dashing its shell against the rocks and glass at her feet. She had prepared to unleash a torrent of Curative Magic immediately afterward, to keep whatever she found inside alive and healthy. What she didn't expect to find was that the Egg's contents were not alive per se, not in the traditional sense at least...

Curiously, what she found inside the Egg was not an unborn kobold king, but a beautifully Regal Crown. Vivien lifted the crown and placed it delicately upon her head, replacing the charmed circlet that had all but turned to slag in the Obelisk's onslaught... A psychic link with the Crown became established. All was made clear to Vivien: she was safe now.

Right. Let's see the Kobolds will fire upon their rightfully-crowned ruler now!

Crown of the Kobold King: 1d4 2

For her first act as the reigning Kobold queen, Vivien had to get to her throne atop that contemptible Obelisk, and to do that she needed to be out of the line of fire. As it was, she was still pinned down by the constant onslaught of bunker guns barraging her position with shells and lasgun fire.

She summoned up an enchantment to throw her voice across the entire battlefield, so she could be heard by friend, foe, and delver alike. Loud-Speaker, it was called. Vivien summoned up the sigils necessary to make her voice like that of a giant, broadcast directly to the minds of those within ethereal reach.

Enchanting: Loud-Speaker on Self: 5d6 13 (vs. dc 13 Pinned Obstacle = Success )

Vivien boomed, "CEASE FIRE! Stand down, by order of your rightful QUEEN!"

She paused to let that commandment sink in. She hoped the Crown would give her words some extra weight, at least where the Kobolds were concerned.

"My loyal subjects: you shall put down your arms and grant the Dungeon-Delvers safe passage to the Obelisk."

Vivien felt strangely guilty for tricking the Kobolds like this. Surely this was normal for the Dungeon - normal to make sacrifices to Chaos in order to pursue the delving of it. Vivien just wasn't certain that it was normal for her to make such bargains with Chaotic beings - not so soon, at least. She had already traded precious life-energy for the acquisition of the Egg, and now this Crown was making demands of her, too. Surely, the Egg (and thus the Crown) was the key to solving the riddle of this Dungeon floor. Perhaps, then, it was necessary to follow the will of the Crown, to follow its advice to the next logical solution. The Crown was of the Dungeon: it knew what the Dungeon wanted of its delvers.

It was probably best to acquiesce, anyway. She had responsibilities to her people now.

For example, Vivien saw that the vampire from before was recovering from several impressive wounds and was rabidly attacking her new favorite lizardman leader, the Kobold Kommander. Vivien knew she had to put a stop to that deathmatch, especially if she wanted to keep kobold and Dungeon-delver tensions at bay.

Vivien yelled into her Loud-Speaker enchantment for all to hear. "I said 'CEASE FIRE' and 'stand down,' my Kommander!"

She fired off her magics to throw a protective bubble around the Kobold Kommander, just to be safe. Good marksmen were so hard to find these days, and that blood-soaked vampire was looking awfully angry...

Enchanting: Pacifist's Guardian on Kobold Kommander: 5d6 13

It was a Pacifist's Guardian enchantment, a powerful protective spell for the truly peaceful. It prevents attacks from coming in and blocks attacks from going out. After all she'd been through, Vivien didn't want anyone else getting hurt - not on her watch!

quote:

Cracking open Egg for the Regal Crown inside.
Crown of the Kobold King: 1d4 2

Action 1:
Enchanting: Loud-Speaker on Self: 5d6 13 (vs. dc 13 Pinned Obstacle = Success )
To Kobolds: "Cease Fire and Stand Down"

Action 2:
Enchanting: Pacifist's Guardian on Kobold Kommander: 5d6 13
Enchant a 2-way pacifist shield on Kobold Kommander

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 10/10 (1/1HP, 8/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Initiative: 17

Cat surveyed the beach from her perch on the top of the world. All hers. The kobolds no longer shooting at her, subservient. This claw bending to her every

Bending to her every

The claw was ignoring her! Despite all her pawing and nudging, it was just acting liek she wasn't there at al!

Well! Cat would show it! Drawing upon her well of cattiness, cat prepared. Looking at The crown space daring it to look back. Slinking her tail back and forth. Enhance haughty disdain with feline instincts: 5d6-3d6 8. Success

Then she made her move. Padding over purposefully, and with utter disregard, she sat in the crown space. Oh the humiliation! Cat looked down at the claw with disgust. Cat was in charge now.

Claim the Claw as her own!: 8d6 28

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 15
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


"ALL HAIL THE QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN!" Cepi proclaimed with as much rapturous loudness as she could muster, which, admittedly, wasn't much, but none could deny the heart she put into it. She waved her lance angrily at kobolds, other topseekers, anyone really that was on their way, "Shoo! SHOO! The Queen is very Busy, and as her KNIGHTCERERLY ESCORT it is my sworn duty to take her to her destination unmolested! None must stand in our way as we advance."

Well, they were walking. But their legs were not carrying them anywhere.

Perfectly normal, knew Cepi Yu. They were just gathering momentum for a glitchy rebound to the Top!

Buffing Proud Knightcerer with Glitchweaving: 5d6-2d6= 6 SUCCESS!
Glitch-buffed Proud Knightcerer to travel to the top of the Obelisk with THE QUEEN via means of lag-correction: 5d6 = 29

Theantero fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2017 around 14:48

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012



Sky-iryk



pre:
Skills: Morph: [5d6], Master-spy: [4d6]
HP: 10/10, 
Powers: Ravage: [4d6]
Defense: Agile defense: [2d6]
Talent: Mass metamorphosis
Current form: Human, female, Duchess Lisila Amgwina
Inventory: Bastard sword, Kobold Quality MagiTek Lasgun
The crowd of figures appearing out of nowhere and staring at her would have been certainly unnerving, she had any nerves in the traditional sense. Sky-iryk decides that best way to handle a Socially Awkward Situation is to try to mumble something like "Sorry, I'll be right back", then run away and hide in the toilet.

Socially Awkward Situation vs Agile Defense [3d6]-[2d6]: 4 Success! -> Failure! No damage.

What a weird place (is it even a place?). Things that should be easy are hard, and things that are hard to do are easy. She watches as Emille seemingly realizing the same thing tries to do something that she's really bad at. Of course, the other possibility is to try to do something that seems truly difficult. Well, finding the exit out of this maze of endless stairs certainly seems impossible. But just to make sure it's really as difficult as possible, she closes her eyes and attempts to find it by running in random directions.

Master Spy to find the impossible-to-find-exit-of-the-maze by running in random directions with eyes closed, all the while managing to not fall off from the stairs [4d6]: 12

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

[Floor Λ]
[The Path]

Wave 1-2


[Molriir]
Dismayed, aghast and frowned upon, the Orthn' Dwarf put his trust in his crossbow, letting it whisper sweet demise to his kinshade.

[3d6] *Superior Quality Repeating Crossbow* - [2d6] Shames: 6 vs Body of Regret: 7 = Failure! Reversed! Success!

Chunks of ectoplasm splattered the not-wall behind the shade, falling first back and then sideways. The creature, eyeless, yet somehow radiating surprise made as if to touch Molriir even as it faded, leaving only a lingering 'einskis' behind.

Hearthstone Einskiss: 21 vs Akward, Hopeless Stubbornness: 9 = Success! Reverse! Failure!

The word fell over him, breaking like waves on a cliff, leaving the dwarf with naught but broken letters. In a way, it reminded him of a puzzle-game from his youth, where meaning would be humorously transcribed from chaos by use of specific logic.
How droll he mused, stiffing a laugh, as the shades started falling back on themselves, fleeing him in all conceivable directions.

[Success! You dispel your kinshade and disperse the others, leaving the trail they walked free for you to walk at your leisure. If you wanted however, you could always give chase.
Additionally, you gain the Einskis Cipher - A theorem that will solve nothing for you.]


--

[Emille]
Shooting your way out of a socially awkward situation had never worked for her before; so why stop now when everything made even less sense than usual?
The adventurer blasted away at the shades, turning their silent mockery into a ghost-pinata-party-aftermath, leaving only a few left to gawk before they too turned and fled. How bizarre.
Well, if that was how things were going to be in here, then by [insert appropriate deity or equivalent here] she would do a terrible job at it.

She removed her jacket and lay it in front of her, took a sandwich from her rations and messily shot it into several pieces, diving the scattered bits of cheese and brass casings unevenly on three sides of the jacket.
"Cribbage!!" she yelled at the Old man, and he raised an eyebrow in return.


"Pointless... I accept."

Adventuring Knowhow: 5 vs It is pointless...: 1 = Success! Reversed! Failure!

Their match would continue for what felt like days.

[Good idea! Except he is even worse than you somehow! You gain a 1d6 pointlessness shame for doing something so absurdly pointless! However, he seems to like the game and urges you to stay for another round.
If you wish, you may wager something. Keep in mind the reverse results rule is still in effect. Additionally, see later!]


--

[Sky-iryk]
The Duchess recklessly put all her training and powers to use, extending her senses beyond that of mere humanity. Her ears grew, the soles of her feet flattened, dilated, pulsed, her tongue parted thrice and set about inspecting the air around her.
Her skin began flashing in a myriad of colours, seen and unseen, each designed to absorb a specific wavelength and reject all others. Even her hair matted and coalesced, forming thick tentacles that would react to the minutest of magic.

Master Spy: 12 vs Impossible Geometries: 23 = Failure! Reversed! Success!

It wouldn't work. How could it? She closed her eyes to the mundane and *ran*. Even though she knew her cloudpath ended not two steps in that direction, she ran and continued running well after she should have fallen to her doom.
She ran, all the while calculating the input of her senses, granting her an extraordinary complex multidimensional map that her feet refused to adhere too. A sheer drop to the north? No, that must have been a wall. Take the next left?
Alas, there was no left to take. It was aggravating. She spun herself into a slug made out spikes and bile, mostly for funsies but partially because it gave her better traction on the water vapour that should by no rights hold neither her nor any other.
Like this, she continued for hours. Piece by piece crafting the most useless map in existence.



She stopped herself, turned back to her more human form and sighed. The Old Man, eyes fixated on the game in front of him conjured a chair from nothing and bade her sit.


"I told you. It is pointless...": 6

[Success! You gain the item: Useless map! Use it to guide you anywhere except to the place you really want to go. Additionally, you have found the Old Man. He challenges you to a game of pointless cribbage. He seems to like it.
Defeat his roll of six to gain a 1d6 pointlessness shame as you are reversed to fail; or fail to beat his six and reverse it to win. What you win depends on what you stake, if anything, but I'm sure you'll win something.
If you desire, you may also challenge Emillie if she deigns to continue being around.]

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
Floor 1
The Beach Beyond Darkness



[Vivien Lumière]
The new Queen stood on a small patch of unsoiled ground, wisps of smoke rising from her armour as the cloth it was one adorned with finally had a moment to evaporate, shieldless. She spake, and for a moment at least, the heavy guns silenced.
New Decree of Safe Passage passed, she made to protect her erstwhile Kommander from the vile hands of the enemy, uh, friendly vampire. Upon her brow, the Crown sparkled incandescent.

Enchanting: Pacifist's Guardian on Kobold Kommander: 13 + Kobold Crown: 5 = 18

---

[Bunker #1, #3, #2]


Less Sketchy Grasp of the Plan vs Orders from On High + Kobold Crown: 3d6-(3d6+2d6) = -4 = Orders Followed!

New orders received, the bristling guns of the bunkers powered down, the Kobolds within retreating to unknown quarters.

---

[Cat]
At the Obelisk, Cat was having its own way of things, as she was wont to do. She had already climbed the highest perch, but she had not claimed it.

Claim the Claw as her own!: 28 vs Heavily Warded Sensetive Electromagics: = 23 = Success!



Fitting snugly into the crown-like depression, the cat felt its senses enhanced by the towers incredibly sensitive soul-somatic sensory surveillance suite.
It felt the link to the crown far below on the beach, felt the urge to obey its wielder, though that stray thought cat easily brushed aside, and overall felt Powerful. Here was a toy worth toying with, and oh what fun she could have!

[Success! Congratulations, you now control the Obelisk of Light. Once per turn you may choose to wield its power in lieu of your ordinary attack, letting you point a 9d6 [piercing] magitek laser at whomever you choose within line of sight.
Be they friend or foe.]


---

[Stefania]
The Witch-Child strode forth on a throne of imps, casting her stolen rage at the already damaged bunker. Though the creature within had ostensibly surrendered, she cared not one whit, high on her own power.

Stolen Fires: 19 vs Made of Warded Stone (Broken): = 10 = Success! Two damage dealt!

The stone structure melted as if the sun had come to visit, which was apt as the fire was the very same fire that had ravaged a demi-heretical temple of a minor moon goddess not three junes past, killing three senior clergy and destroying five priceless paintings. The Kobold who now revisited this private inferno could probably care less about the open market value of the art pieces, though any merchant worth their gold would tell you the loss was indeed appalling.

Facing no real opposition, the witch flew the rest of the way to the Obelisk, landing close beneath it, slightly wary that it had yet to obliterate her.

[Movement 10 vs no opposition = auto success!]

---

[Kobold Militia]


Sketchy Grasp of the Plan vs Orders from On High + Kobold Crown: 2d6-(3d6+2d6) -10 = Orders Followed!

The massed infantry took this time to Cease Fire, confused and somewhat relieved that the fighting appeared to be over.

---

[Cepi Yu]
Swooping in from off-screen, the little Glitchie Knightcerer picked up a pebble in one hand and her lance in the other, then quickly swapped which hand held what, then swapped again, made a motion as if to quaff a potion but quickly stopped and instead swapped the pebble for the lance again, whereupon she dropped the pebble and picked up the new Kobold Queen instead as if she weigh nothing. Thus equipped with Lance and Woman, the Glitchie was very obviously overencumbered and could not move at all. Little legs pushing with all her might, the Glitchie moved not an inch. Giving her peculiar situation some thought, the Glitchie dropped her lance and picked up the pebble again, began walking and quickly swapped the pebble for the lance a final time. Now free of both logic and gravity, the Glitchie flew to the top of the Obelisk in two instants, appearing right besides a cat that had taken residence thereupon.

[29 glitchweaving vs 28 obelisk claim = Success! Cepi Yu and Vivenne make it up to the top.]

---

[Random Deepdelvers]
With the fighting over, the deepdelvers took to looting as was their wont.

Adventurers Loot!: 13 vs Sensetive Electromagics: 8 = Success!

---

[Countess Nezera Amaris]
The Vampire simmered with rage as her face re-assembled, tearing up chunks of bunker to throw at the Kommander.

Unnatural Strength: 13 to attack vs Two Way Pacifist: 18 = Failure

Imagine her surprise then, when her arms refused to finish their graceful arc, and the Kommander stood wholly un-assaulted before her.

She recognized the effect the instant it happened, some wizard or warlock must have warded the bunkers themselves to keep them from hurting their occupants. Cunning!
And foolish, for Nezera was a Vampire and in truth had no need of masonry where raw power would do just fine. She dropped her heavy throwing stone and instead leapt at the Kommander, tearing at him with her surprisingly long claws!

Unnatural Strength: 23 to attack vs Two Way Pacifist: 18 = Success! Obstacle Defeated!

Unnatural Strength: 23 vs Heavy MagiTek Armour: 17 = Success! One damage dealt!

She felt cold blood beneath her talons as they sunk into the magi-tek shell surrounding her new prize and she laughed as she ripped into him. But laughter turned into so much swearing when the wily Kobold replied with a riflebutt to the newly reassembled face, and he shot of into the darkness before she could get her bearings straight again.

[Success! You deal one damage, but the Kommander survives and manages to escape your clutches!]

---

[Kobold Gun Emplacements]


Less Sketchy Grasp of the Plan vs Orders from On High + Kobold Crown: 3d6-(3d6+2d6) -6= Orders Followed!

The Heavy Gun Emplacements were quickly abandoned, the Kobolds that once held them vanishing into the night.

---

[Kobold Kommander]


By the Lady that hurt. He had expected as much, of course, and was grateful as can be that his enchanted ceramics had held for as long as they had, but he had seen the look in that vampires face. That was no ordinary deepdelver.
No, she had a vendetta, and as much as it pained him to do so, he would resist the crown and its wielder if that was what needed to happen for him to survive.

¡Viva La Kobold Revolution!: 15 vs Orders from On High + Kobold Crown: 20 = Partial Failure! [Take a shame or refuse the action!]

He knew he would face reprimand later, but The Plan was too important. He swallowed his pride and aimed his rifle once more, desperate to end the fight before his own life was ended for him.

Heavy Bolter - Shame of Betrayal: = 10 vs Traumatic Regeneration: 9 = Success! One damage dealt to Nezera!

Though his aim was off from nerves and shame, with the ordinance he packed that hardly mattered. A rocket-powered grenade shot from the muzzle of his bolter and into the ribs of the encroaching vampire, blowing a hole through her chest.
That the hole knit itself closed again in an instant was of course, more of a concern. Perhaps he had made the wrong choice...

---

[Wilma]
The Psychic screamed. Partially out of rage, partially out of fear. Mostly out of sheer exasperation. Magic was real? Ghosts were real? What was the world coming to! She let her confusion fuel her inner fire, the one she never even knew she had.
She lashed out at fleeing Kobolds. Demons, probably. It mattered not. It was probably just a nightmare anyway.

[Fledgling Psychic Power: 17, 13 vs MagiTek Armour: 14 11

They did not scream as she cut them down, for her Ire was both silent and deadly. They simply fell like sacks of grain, the life snuffed out of them in an instant. Tears ran down her cheeks as she walked through calamity, bleeding and victorious.
The ghosts followed in her trail, soon joined by others of a decidedly more reptilian nature.

[Success! You murder some Kobolds and increase your ghostly retinue with two spooky lizard friends!]

---

[Everyone]


As the battle winds down, it becomes evident that the only way out is through the Obelisk.
Masses of deepdelvers, both wary of eachother and the Kobolds, many deeply wounded, flock around its base, pleading for Vivienne and Cat to let them through.

At the top, another battle entirely unfolds.

[Congratulations, maybe? The battle is over and you may do whatever you want with your time remaining on the beach.]

---

[Vivienne, Cat, Cepi Yu]
The Crown wishes to be placed into the cat-filled grove, promising safe passage from these lands if its request is granted.
What does the cat wish? Only time will tell.

[Solve this one on yer own folks! If cat relents its claim without issue, another update will come shortly with the new floor etc. Otherwise things might get interesting!]

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 6/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Used]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


Nezera isn't one to let a grudge simply fizzle out, so it's no surprise she's quite annoyed when the Kommander manages to just slip away. Imagine her surprise when the little rascal immediately returns and splatters her torso all over the room, superficial damage of course, thankfully none of her important organs damaged.

Nezera's glaringly white teeth split the blood splatter covering her face as she begins to casually walk toward the Kommander, her hand placed against the wall so her nails tear furrows into the MagiTek bunker "Glad you decided to stay and play little friend. I'd be ever so bored here alone." Without another word the bloodied vampire throws herself across the distance and begins to stab away at the cracks in the Kobold's armor she's already damaged.

quote:

Action 1
Unnatural Strength vs Kommander= 11

Action 2
Unnatural Strength vs Kommander= 21

Want to burst this sweet sweet talent having obstacles guts open and loot his carcass haha. I imagine the crown is getting slammed into that obelisk in any case, but might as well have my intentions out there first .

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2017 around 19:28

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 9/10 (1/1HP, 8/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Initiative: 17

Cat's power was unrivaled. She looked past her supplicants to the beach below.

Some fool was attacking the friendly vampire! Does he not realise that cats and spooky stuff had a clear alliance? That an attack on the vampire was as to an attack on Cat herself!?

The nerve! Cat's eyes glowed with malicious energy as she directed the claw's energies.

Eliminate the Kommander!: 9d6 32

Looking up at her supplicants, cat mewed. Standing up, cat leaped on to Vivienne, climbing into her shoulders.

Willingly relinquish crown space.

From her place wrapped around Vivienne's neck, cat had a much better vantage. Much easier to see what to do next.

Rerolling Initiative: 5d6 19

Cat watched what Vivienne did, mewing in her ear.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2017 around 22:16

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Please... Don't read this post where other people can see...

Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


This time, Stefania made sure to bring in more imps before attempting flight up the obelisk. That was an awfully long way to fall, after all. As she reached the top, she took a good look at the beach, and saw two figures still going at it hard. One was that supersonic woman from earlier and the other was... some kind of kobold that was in chrage? He must have refused to stop fighting, even though it was clearly time for everyone to start recuperating before the feast.

"Hey you! Stop that!" she snapped her fingers and sent an offhanded explosion at his face. He'd probably recover in time, but he was going to miss first pick of food.

Roast Him!: 5d6 20

That business done, she turned to the crowd at the top. Hey, the cat had made it up here! Somehow! Moving to attempt to give the cat some well-earned scritches, she addressed her fellow deepdelvers.

"Hello! That was pretty fun, wasn't it? I'm Stefania, but you can call me Steffi if you want!"

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Hell Gem


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 18
Health: 7/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla
Items: Regal Crown

It was a startling sensation, being lifted and carried by someone far smaller than yourself. Nevertheless, the sprite-like Cepi Yu had done it, though Vivien had no idea how. Perhaps it involved some sort of luck-based sorcery? No, that was far too elegant a solution than what she was seeing. Whatever enchantments the Knightcerer was weaving into its tiny frame, it was decidedly a messy yet potent affair. Was reshaping the very laws of reality the inherent magical domain of the Glitchies, then? Vivien needed to know more.

Without much apparent effort, the small knight had smoothly bounded upwards to the top of the Obelisk, bearing Vivien's weight as though she were naught but a feather. From up here, she could see it all:

Crown of the Kobold King: 1d4 1

Her domain.

She surveyed the scraggly, pitted cliffs and the war-torn beach laid out before her, stretching endlessly to either horizon. At one end, she spotted some explosions and weapons' fire. There were others still fighting! After she had loudly declared a cease-fire from everyone, no less!

"Stop attacking each other! I said, 'Lay down your arms!'" She cried out, funneling her voice into whatever remained of her Loud-Speaker enchantment.

She saw that her Kobold Kommander was in danger of being killed and drained by that pesky vampire with the poor hearing and the poorer self-control. Vivien directed her curative magics to swirl around the Kobold leader and infuse his ethereal body with healing energy, borrowing health from the target's future in order to restore it to how it had appeared in the past.

"I beseech you, my Kommander," she intoned, "Stop. Stop your madness or this breath shall be your last!"

Curative Magic: Healing the Kobold Kommander: 4d6 9

She felt the deaths of two more more of her warriors, sharply- like two cold, wet slaps across the face. She reeled with the imperious need to rebuke the perpetrator, angrily.

Vivien roared with fury into her Loud-Speaker enchantment for all to hear. "I said 'CEASE FIRE' and 'stand down,' Fortune Teller!"

Holy Smite: Smacking the Fortune Teller: 2d6 11

A shimmering spot appeared in the air above Wilma's head, glowing brighter in intensity until it sparked and flung itself at the woman with unyielding force. The fist of pure blazing light blasted the befuddled woman with a flashing *whap* across the noggin. If only there weren't so many Dungeon-delvers around, the Kobolds would be safe!

The Cat leapt up onto Vivien's shoulder and mewled into her ear. At that very moment, a spell over Vivien had been broken.

Vivien rips the Regal Crown off her head.

"What am I doing, committing such wanton violence against others?" She looked down at the Regal Crown with disgust.

Clearly this crown must be the key to it all... She looked around her at the Obelisk's climax, seeing the other Delvers assembling at the peak, looking to her, expectant.

"Of course - it IS the key!"

Vivien places the Regal Crown on the crown-shaped depression at the top of the Obelisk.

Vivien Lumière posted:

Crown of the Kobold King: 1d4 1

Action 1:
Curative Magic: Healing the Kobold Kommander: 4d6 9

Action 2:
Holy Smite: Smacking the Fortune Teller: 2d6 11

Vivien removed the Regal Crown and places it at the top of the Obelisk.

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2017 around 01:10

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
Floor 1
The Beach Beyond Darkness



[Nezera]

A deadly chase ensues, all sense and sensibilities and shames abandoned and all thought of their true purpose thrown to the wayside. A game of ravenous monster and heavily armed lizard that burst through the beach with nary a thought given to bystanders, innocent or otherwise. Bunkers were torn apart, minefields inexpertly navigated and dozens of Kobolds scattered like leaves in the wind as the furious Vampire charged after the Kommander, intent on ending its miserable life.

She hissed and snarled with her many fresh wounds leaking her precious deathsblood to the ground, vaulting over low obstacles and simply plowing through others.

Unnatural Strength vs Kommander= 11 vs Heavy MagiTek Armour: vs 20 = Failure!



There is a white-hot flash of light and the vampire is forced to back away for a moment, if only to recuperate. The bile in her eyes matched only by the foulness of her tongue.
If she were a younger vampire, she would take this opportunity to monologue. But she had long ago learned her lesson. There is a time for talking, and a time for killing. And those who talk, in her experience, they were the ones who got killed.

Unnatural Strength: 21 vs Heavy MagiTek Armour: 19 = Success!

With a sudden burst of brute-strength, Nezera violates most laws of physics, shattering her own feet with the sheer impact of her standing-jump, clearing the wall she was hiding behind by a good sixty meters straight up.
Feet already reforming, the vampire plummets to the ground, keen and fresh eyes having already sought out the hunkered-down Kommander waiting for her to round that corner, still completely unwares of her descent.

--

[Cat, Vivienne]
The undisputed champions of the beach exchange both perch and pleasantries, allowing at last for the Crown to assume its rightful place as key. But not before the proper fare-wells be settled. Not before certain good-byes be said.
Vivienne sends a token of her gratitude down the leylines towards her fiercest charge and a powerful admonishment to those that would do her precious Kobolds Ill. And cat? Well, cat sends something else entirely.

--

[Kobold Kommander, Stefania]


Dungeon take that wretched creature, refusing to die and fertilize His Territory with her essence, to suffuse the lands with her Haunts. The Kommander clutched his faithful Bolter to his chest, his ever since he was an Egg himself.
His traps had stalled the vampire, but for how long? He knew his army had failed, knew the deepdelvers escape was inevitable. He spat at the ground and lit another cigarette. What was taking them so long? Why hadn't they all been portalled away?

Healing: 9 + Kobold Crown: 4 = 13 = Success! (13 / 6 ≈ 2 = 2 Health restored, maximum health cap -2)

He felt a tingle in his bones, felt the Crown weave his wounds back together, even repairing the hole in his armour as if it had never been there to begin with. Strange, had some other Kobolds resisted? Had the deepdelvers been thwarted after all?

Roast Him!: 20 vs Heavy MagiTek Armour: 14 = Success!

It was then that he noticed a wall of flames cresting the hill that he hid on, back-light for a vengeance crazed vampire composed not so much of body as of spite.
His radio gear spat static at him as the Obelisk lit up one final time, relaying the coordinates for the next strike directly to his earpiece. Cigarette falling limp from his mouth, all he could say was "Oh.."

--

[Nezera]
Descending ultra-rapidly on a dramatically convenient wave of fire, Nezera half-falls, half-surfs the Embers of Ancient Lagos, a bush-fire resulting from a poorly aimed smite, spreading across an entire continent killing millions, that somehow still managed to avoid even singing its intended target. Much like that ancient heretic, Nezeras quarry had proved too slippery by far, but this time there was no evading her. Not with all of his escape routes cut of, not when she was this close.

It is then, less then a second until impact, that the Vampires innate sense of self-preservation kicks into overdrive, sending her ultra-rapidly sideways with an uncontrollable spasm of self-imploding muscles.
When the mind of the Countess catches up to the flailing of the Beast within, it is both furious and somewhat thankful...



for the spot where she had intended to land had been vaporized, leaving not even ash to remind her of her failure.

--

[Wilma]


Aaaaaaaaah!

AAAAHH!!! AAAhhhh!

Boo!!

Aaaaah!

SMACK!

Holy Smite: 11 + Kobold Crown: 6 = 17 vs Appropriately Terrified By All This: 5 = Success! Two Damage Taken!



*bleeds profusely*

--

[Everyone]
The crown slotting neatly into the depression, the world is whisked away, the darkness fading into a pinpoint of light before you are vomited out on the other side of the opaque doorway that had deposited you in that horrid war-zone.

--

Wave 3
The Stairwell



When you get your bearings, all as it it was before, save your fresh injuries and post traumatic worries. You stand amongst a great mass of other delvers, nearly all in shock. Many are a breath away from dying, though some, a majority in fact, still seem to have their wits about them. Try as you might, there is little you can do for them here. Whatever magic holds this dungeon together seems to prohibit recuperation, or even decay and entropy, in this world between worlds between worlds. With nothing to do but continue forward, you continue forward, hoping for the best.

An hour passes in silence before you reach the next obstacle on your course towards your Hearts Desire. A single, inviting doorway, though one that closes automagically once seven delvers have stepped through.
As fate or lack thereof would have it, you step through with the ones you most noticed during your time at the beach, and soon find yourselves somewhere else entirely.

--

Wave 3
Floor 2
The War Room / Trial of Distraction




You come to once more sat in one of seven of the most comfortable of chairs. A splendid table has been set up before you, with floating trays of snacks and over-flowing drink hovering within arms reach.
Above the table floats an Orb, dim though with a hint of light within it. Infront of you, attuned to your very souls, the most intricate of work-stations you have ever laid your eyes upon.
Magitek Consoles, connected via a mass of tubes to the table and the world depicted below.



As you turn your gaze to the table, the Orb undims and lights the way, showing you a greatly zoomed in view of each area of focus.



Before you have a chance to speak or even blink, your vision and mind is filled with data, with everything from humidity to plate tectonics to five dimensional models of random forest critters - their innermost thoughts (danger, peril, hunger) equally on display.

Recoiling from information overload, you pull out and give the world in its whole your overview, and things look bleak. Though cold and forgotten, the world beneath you still shows some signs of life.
Three settlements cling to life on the infertile steppes.

To the left, across the gaping chasm, a people of mist dance in sorrow, their fields fallow and hopes vain.



Another, in the uppermost middle to the right of the chasm, a people composed of filth and slime. They eke our their existence dissolving the rock of the dormant volcano, probing for tasty minerals.



The third, in the mountains to the right-most-south, a community of Goblins huddled around some sort of pit.



Judging by the weather graphs that assault your senses, the coming seasons will be harsh and dry. There is little hope for the plight of those below you, unless you were to take up the mantle that the consoles offered you.

Yes, you see it now. How each button, emblazoned with a rune that only you could truly understand, how they connect to everything around you. You see how with a bit of this and a dash of that, how things could be improved, or worsened.
You could make a difference in their lives, perhaps even carve your own mark down there, in the snow, if you desired.

But before you can start, certain rules must be adhered too. A die appears in your hands, bidding you cast it. The Order must be set, lest the players forget their turn. The Orb dims over the world, awaiting the cast.
The People live, and pray, for a better tomorrow.

--

[Vivien, Cepi Yu, Cat, Nezera, Wilma, Stefani]
[Alright sports-fans! Welcome to the War-Room. Please roll your initiative to determine turn order. Ties goes to whoever rolls the highest individual die. You may spend your actions each turn to affect the world below you.
Exactly what happens when you do will become apparent when you do something, so don't worry about it for now. The first turn is always the most (deliberately) vague!
As a bonus, for the official First Turn you may declare a simple truth about what you find when you gaze upon these lands, and I will do my best to incorporate them.

Incidentally, the seventh chair is not filled, how curious.]

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 15
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


"My Queen, you mustn't hurt the innocent peasantry, it's unnoble!" chirped the diminutive sprite, but to no avail. Indeed, the girl was far too taken by the crown, ohh, what to do, what to do? It was not right to attack friendlies, it wasn't, it wasn't, everybody knew that!

Hmm.

But maybe the World didn't know that those two were actually friends? And so, by slipping a little pebble she had tagged only for [Seers] to use into Vivienne's pocket, she briefly counted as being a [Seer] just like Wilma, causing the smite to disperse due to Friendly Fire not hurting, as was well known.

Disaster averted!



Retroactive action to buff Wilma's garbage defense skill with Glitchweaving to activate Friendly Fire shield: 5d6-2d6 = 15 SUCCESS!
How did this defense that was ACTUALLY BUFFED fare against an attack roll of 17?: 7d6 = 25 So as you can PLAINLY SEE, Wilma actually beat that attack roll by 8

WILMA REMAINS UNDAMAGED

Theantero fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2017 around 10:25

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 17
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


Cepi Yu banged her lance against the glass table, furiously and adorably reaching and pointing towards the strange shimmering bits of the Northeastern Wood.

"THE GLITCHWOOD, IT'S THE GLITCHWOOD!" she practically screamed, "IT'S MY PEOPLE! MY PEOPLE ARE IN THERE!"

"EVERYONE, EVERYONE! WE MUST, WE MUST FREE THEM!"

"I DECLARE OPERATION GLITCHIE FREEDOM!"


Glitchy initiative for Floor 2: 5d6= 17 SUCCESS!

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Cat
Initiative: 24

AI action: Claim things as your own. If it is unsafe, stalk from the shadows.
HP: 9/10 (1/1HP, 8/9 lives)
Skills: Feline instincts 5D6, Haughty disdain 3D6
Powers: Stalking 2D6
Defences: Cat reflexes 5D6
Vanilla Talent: I meant to do that.

Cat wanders into the room after the tiny Knight. While it was tempting to pounce on the tiny creature, something was telling her that this is not prey. Hey eyes darted back and forth, taking in the room. No, the prey creatures were elsewhere, she could sense them in the table.

Initiative: 5d6 24

The table legs beckoned, and like any cat left unattended, Cat used the opportunity to keep her claws well maintained. At the other delver's protests Cat mewed dismissively. Thus table was nothing more than an oversized scratching post. Disrespect the table! (Haughtily!): 3d6 11.

Table leg scratched, Cat tried to Leap onto the table and knock stuff over: 5d6 18.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2017 around 13:40

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Please... Don't read this post where other people can see...

Stefania, Queen of the Curse Imps

Initiative: 16
HP: 10
Skills: Imptourage [4d6], Penumbral Sorcery [2d6] Powers:Hellfire [4d6]; Defense: Demonic Destiny [5d6]
Talent:Available
Items:None
AI: Solve tasks with imps, if someone tries to hurt her or a friend, use Talent to flip that.


Stefania sat down at the table, excited. A war room! Sure, there weren't any of those long sticks for pushing pieces around, but this was even better. A definite must-have after she'd defeated the Demon King. The imps eagerly gathered around her, pointing at different spots on the board.

Impnitiative: 4d6 18

Ultimately, it was the community of goblins, huddling together for warmth, that caught her attention. While the tundra was almost entirely barren, the nearby hills, both to the immediate south and to the east, supported a hardy population of great, hairy mammoths. While the goblins didn't have much luck hunting them, either getting trampled or simply freezing to death, they were there, at least, and the rare successes brought valuable meat and hides into the community. Speaking of which... Stefania took a closer look at the pit in the middle of the settlement. It didn't seem to contain much of anything, but the readout from the table indicated a steady dribble of flammable gasses emanating from its depths. Summoning the gentlest flame she could manage, Stefania pressed the buttons to ignite the pit, and give the goblins some much-needed warmth.

Ignite the Pit!: 4d6 13

That taken care of, she considered the goblins as a people. They were resilient, certainly, but they also seemed awfully lonely. Well, she could solve that! With a twist of a knob, imps came streaming out of the fiery pit, eager to befriend the goblins.

Imp Friends for Everyone!: 4d6 13 (prior roll had too many dice by mistake)

Trying vainly to keep Cat away from her section of the table, Stefania tried to admire her job well done.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 6/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Avaliable]
Items: None!
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


"Tch." Robbed of her fun, Nezera slumps into one of the chairs provided and stretches out languorously as she looks over the table in front of her. Looking over the bizarre contraption of screens and tubes she immediately casts the little die that has appeared in her hands and gets to looking at the contraption in front of her.

Ignoring the nattering knight Nezera draws her focus in on the board properly and rolls her eyes, she'd spent enough time ruling over nations but if she had to do it for a while more to progress on to more interesting things she supposed she could. Narrowing her view on the goblins tucked away in the mountains Nezera begins to speedily fiddle around with all of the bits and pieces in front of her to no avail, technology had never been her particular strong suit.

With randomly screwing around having not worked well so far, Nezera leans back on her natural talents instead. Her eyes flare red as she considers the goblins huddled away in their slovenly little homes, they could be so much more efficient, the Goblins had a perfectly good pit inhabited with spirits and they weren't even making sacrifices to it yet. Well! That'd have to change. A good sacrifice here and there was always good for morale, and hey with the addition of imps to the population they didn't even have to worry about going extinct any time soon!

quote:

Initiative
Charming Gaze(Meant to do Supernatural movement, same difference) Initiative=13

Action 1
Supernatural movement to buff charming gaze fails

Action 2
Charming Gaze vs Goblins=10 Trying to force them to band together and be more efficient through the art of goblin sacrifice.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016



Hell Gem


Name: Vivien Lumière
Initiative: 15
Health: 7/10 HP
Background: Vivien is a high disciple of the Divine Order of the Pristine Depths, a healing-based faith devoted to Morgan Le Fey, the Lady in the Lake and High Enchantress of Arthurian Legend.
AI Actions: Heal allies, Defend weaker creatures, Cure the sick and maimed, Enchant party's weapons and defenses, Eliminate dangers
Skills: Enchantment:5d6, Curative Magic: 4d6 Powers: Holy Smite: 2d6 Defenses: Aegis of Camelot: 4d6 Talent: Prismatic Refraction: Vanilla Max Targets: 3

Vivien had never encountered a staircase so long and so perfectly circular. Its very dimensions seemed to defy the laws of nature! One moment she was descending, and the next moment she was hours ahead of herself, seemingly no further ahead than where she was before. It was mind-boggling, enough so that she needed to completely re-orient herself chronomantically when she came across an unremarkable door set into the wall, and poked her head inside.

Chrono-Curative Attunement: Initiative: 4d6 15

Oh? What's this - a war room, complete with a map and controls? But this was no regular map on that table, hm... Vivien walked inside and glanced about the room. Seven plush chairs surrounded the table, and every spare surface bore a number of trays and bowls, each containing a veritable bounty of strange vittles. What a comfortable space for entertaining! Why, there was hardly any danger to be found here at all! Vivien placed a single kernel of popped corn in her mouth and let the morsel dissolve exquisitely.

Vivien's heightened senses, which had initially been poised and alert, relaxed with each new discovery. With this second floor of the Dungeon came entirely new rules of engagement, and that clearly meant that it was time to take a different tack as the floor prior.

Releasing her tensions and her expectations for the Dungeon's second floor, she let her powers suffuse the air around her so that she was bathed in a glowing rainbow aura. She deftly manipulated the shapes of those energies whirling around her into glimmering ethereal bubbles of iridescent colors, and she tried to pluck out multiple distinct hues at the same time. Pop - pop - pop! Her talent activated:

Talent: Prismatic Refraction: 2#1d4 3 2 (Success! Vivien can affect up to 1+2=3 targets!)

When all was said and done, three tints of her energy remained: azure blue, indigo, and bottle green. This way, she would be able to bathe the table with her inner light's blessings. But speaking of blessings...

Vivien looked around her at the other Deepdelvers that had made it into this room. Apparently, these were both her allies AND her opponents (at least in the sense that they would be playing an idle game together!). There was the Cat, the Witch, the Knight, the Vampire, and the... Fortune Teller?!? She was real? Not that it mattered any more, but Vivien had been absolutely certain, completely positive that all the Dungeon delvers that she had seen being shot at by Kobolds and succumbing to noxious vapors and acidic waters were but mere illusions, distractions that were intentionally being put in her way so as to test her resolve. She had thought that the Fortune Teller was but yet another diversion from her quest that the Dungeon had created for her, to push her into acting incorrigably and without sensitivity to the plight of others.

"Oh my goodness gracious - by the divine Creator I must apologize to you from the bottom of my heart! I have no idea what came over me..."

Swirling bubbles of ethereal magic permeated the air around Wilma the Fortune Teller, reversing the very nature of her wounds and causing them to heal.

Curative Magic: Healing Wilma: 4d6 15

"My name is Vivien. Let us be friends and allies from here on out."

Taking a chair beside the table, Vivien surveyed the grand map set before them. She fiddled with some dials and set them back to their starting positions, perplexed.

"Excuse me, but I'm afraid I don't know how this game is played. You all go on ahead - I'll go last and watch what the rest of you are doing first."

Near the center of the map, Vivien spies what looks like a bridge that crosses the river and leads into ruined wasteland.

Vivien posted:

Initiative:
Chrono-Curative Attunement: Initiative: 4d6 15

Action 1:
Talent: Prismatic Refraction: 2#1d4 3 2 (Success! Vivien can affect up to 1+2=3 targets!)

Action 2:
Curative Magic: Healing Wilma: 4d6 15

Near the center of the map, Vivien spies what looks like a bridge that crosses the river and leads into ruined wasteland.

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2017 around 20:32

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


[Wilma]

HP: 4/10
The problem with killing people - oh GOD, she'd just killed someone - is that you just make more ghosts. Two of the things - kobolds, they supplied mystically - sorry, two kobolds were now following her around. In the chaos and exhaustion of her unleashed power, she hardly noticed the destruction happening all around her, narrowly missing her already battered form. And then, all of a sudden, it was done. Back in that staircase again, only those few people who'd been fighting against the th- kobolds all around her. And by people, she meant that loosely. One was a cat. Another one was, like, a cartoon or something. She mouthed silently at the most normal-looking one 'what the hell is going on', but they ignored her. They kept walking down, but yeah right! She was gonna get out of here! She was going to... going to... wow, that was a lot of climbing. How far down were they? How did she even get here anyhow? She felt the ghosts tugging her and followed them as she thought.

When she shook her head to clear the forming cobwebs, she found herself in a blessedly comfortable chair. In... a library? Some game... hall? And what was this in front of her? She poked gently at the console, utterly out of her depth and incredibly sore to boot. She flinched as she touched it and watched her cursor flicker across the too-real world before her. This was too much... but at least it was quiet here. Well, quiet enough.

quote:

"Wilma, you are soft clay in a hard world. You need to adapt or else crumble away to nothing."
"Shut up, shut up, you're not real." The others flicked their eyes towards her, then away, awkwardly. She felt her cheeks burning with discomfort, then turned furiously to regard the buttons in front of her. She didn't want to push any, but all the others looked like they knew what they were doing. She picked one at random and-
"Wilma, accept this gift. It will make you strong."
She felt an alien power rush through her, felt her skin shifting and roiling like she was made of clay. She shrieked and rubbed at her skin, and nearly fainted as it smoothed out like she were actually clay. She knew the Ghost who haunted her, learned of the Autogolem's short time in this dungeon queendom. She saw his Talent like a glowing glass sphere, far cooler than the jagged glass of Slid's lust for destruction. She reached for it.
And failed, the attempt too new and strange to grasp. But Span hadn't left her yet. She felt him watching her, assessing her. "I predict failure for you in this place, Medium Wilma... but then, I was wrong in my assessment of my own chances. Do not shrink before the great wall of your obstacles, but instead face them and surmount them." And once again, just like Slid, Wilma felt the ghost give itself to her, sacrificing what remained of its ego to empower her.
But, ah, it wasn't to be. She slumped backwards in her chair, exhausted... and felt bubbles of warmth drift down over her. She opened tear-ringed eyes to see the gently worried face of Vivien. Oh! She looked nice. At least she was trying to help her. "Oh, uh, thanks - I'm new here. Like, really new. All this stuff is so frickin' weird and scary and I think I almost died. Like, frig." She almost cried, but then she thought of that soft ghostly voice, now silenced, and decided maybe she'd try to do something about her situation. The others were fiddling with the dealie, so she'd fiddle with it too. She just watched for a while. Those misty creatures down there were pretty, which meant they were the good guys. The slime people were obviously bad. The goblins were the bumbling baddies that worked for the slime monsters. She knew how this worked, she'd seen cartoons with her nephews. The buttons were more opaque to her... but they were kinda like a typewriter mashed up with a slot machine. She figured she could wing it.
She pressed some random buttons while the cursor hovered over the slime monsters. Eat that, Cobra! GI Wilma is here! Ratatatatat!

Her laser burns sobered her up quickly, and she realized that war wasn't quite as entertaining anymore.

(Simple Declaration: there are an unusual amount of rodents of various sizes and breeds)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at Dec 13, 2017 around 15:09

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

[quote="Theantero" post="478568139"]
Cepi Yu, Proud Knightcerer of the Warped Table

Initiative: 17
HP: 10
Skills: Glitchweaving [5d6], Proud Knightcerer [2d6] Powers: Spear of Corruption [3d6]; Defense: Shield of Lag [5d6]
Talent: Unspent
Items:
AI: Be suitably knightly, try not to die.


Cepi Yu, for her part, was largely oblivious to the doings of her teammates, for she had wasted not a single second after her screed to go to her people.

"This is important", she exclaimed on top of a fallen lagberry tree, "For there are places other than the glitchwood for the glitchies out there! In a place I call 'the outside!" It is wondrous and huge, and there is so much more room for glitchies to live and prosper! It's amazing, you absolutely must, MUST follow me there!"

Cepi waved her lance menacingly at the digital ether, "And I will allow absolutely NOTHING to stand in the way of my people! Follow!"

And just so, Cepi began the quest for freeing her people.


Buffing Proud Knightcerer with Glitchweaving: 5d6-2d6= 17 SUCCESS!

Proud Knightcerer to lead the Glitchie Exodus to the real world!: 7d6= 23

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Emille

HP: 3/10
Initiative: 6
Defense: Parry[3d6]
Pyromancy [3d6], Acrobatics [2d6], Adventuring Knowhow [1d6]
Ignite/Quench [3d6], Radiance [2d6], Arquebus [1d6]
The Master's Mark (chocolate): [spent/unspent]
Items: +1 Ring (+1 to a single action every turn), Miniature Planet (Plop a full sized planet somewhere)
Prides: Proud of Being Mentored
Shame: Pointlessness [1d6]

Emille smirked in spite of herself, she managed to get the Old Guy engaged enough to play for stakes! He still had a dreary expression on his face, but it was a start! She made a wager, hoping that whatever she wagered wasn't subject to the Opposite Day rules that the rest of the floor seemed to abide by, "I'll play you again. If I win, you get us out of here. If I lose, you get to leave. What is your name, anyway?"

She shuffled the deck and began dealing cards.

Adventuring Knowhow to play Pointless Cribbage: 1d6+1 - Pointless Shame [1d6] = 1
Playing for: Escape

She let out a half-enthused cheer at her pointless victory. Looks like she'd be getting out of this dismal place! Marius cleared his throat, "You don't seem to be doing well. I have an idea though, using the properties of this floor."

"Well, it can't be your shadow magic. You're far too good at it to make the mistakes required."

"Of course. Plus it's absolutely useless at healing. No, instead I'm going to do something I haven't done in a while. My talent can transfer raw vitality both from you to me and from me to you. I am going to do the latter, which I haven't done in ages because I have so very little to go around."

"I think I'm following you. Sure you're up for this? Your body's outside, not here. Could be dangerous."

"I know! It's going to be such an interesting experiment! Don't worry, I have some equipment that should hopefully minimize the risk to my flesh. Give me a little while to set it up."

A few of Emille's seconds later, Marius returned, "I have seven different potions on an intravenous drip, a rune of electricity over my heart in case it stops, and I strapped myself to my chair so I don't fall if I pass out. Let's do this.

The Mark of Marius: 4 SUCCESS/FAIL?????
The Mark[1d6] to heal Emille: [1d6] - Shame of Decrepitude[2d6] = -9

Emille felt a rush of energy hit her. She felt good. Great, even! It looks like Marius's gambit might pay off. She checked in with him, "You alright, old man?

Marius replied, though the telepathic link between them wavered slightly and he sounded obviously weak, "I'll live. That was AWFUL. A-are you alright? I'm gonna go lay down. Wait, no, still strapped to the chair. It'll have to do."

Time passed for them both, for Emille it was about the time of a cribbage game. Much longer for Marius. The old man resumed his story, with a note of tiredness in his voice.

"I accepted, out of desperation. There were three of us: myself, Odenson, and another, Dammerung. I am unsure how to describe him, let us just say he had a certain level of insight. We three became One. We were simultaneously of one body, mind, and soul and wholly separate. When this happened, we were near The End and in our short existence, we made the most of it. Every topseeker from every possible world had assembled to take the throne, and there could only be One. We rampaged through the infinite hordes, assimilating them into our abominable mass, discarding their worst qualities and taking their best to bolster our glorious Unity."

"The power was...intoxicating. However, it did not last long. A blind man took advantage of a hole in our defenses and destroyed us in one blow. We found that even in death inextricably linked. What happened next is too incredibly confusing and contradictory for me even to explain. From what I can gather someone (or someones) resurrected the Topseekers and failed or neglected to make an exception for me. Even though I did not achieve my goal, I left the Tower with my life and a great deal of Power that I soaked up from the Tower Lord's death."

"From there, I returned to my capitol and returned to my usual, or tried to, at least. Something was different. I didn't enjoy wanton acts of cruelty, such as burning men alive, as much as I used to. At first I just thought I was getting jaded, so I went from flint and tinder to exotic alchemical compounds to giant magnifying glasses. But one day, everything changed for me. It was an unseasonably warm day for winter, and I was to personally execute someone convicted for an incredibly minor crime. And when I plunged my thumbs into their eyes, I felt disgust with myself and something new. Guilt."

"The Tower had changed my nature. Well, not directly. Even separated, we of the Hydra were still connected and I think bits of them were leaking into me. Especially Dammerung, he was a kind sort. After the 'execution', I had to go be alone for a while. I'm not sure I sequestered myself. Weeks, months? I mentally relived all my atrocities, growing more and more regretful and disgusted with myself. The faces and screams of my victims remain as crystal clear now as they were then. When I emerged, I clearly knew what had to be done."

"I ordered the Capitol, my Capitol evacuated of all civilians and I ascended to the skies above it. With but an expenditure of the Power I had recently gained, what I did next was easy, almost trivial. I ripped a great tear in the fabric of reality and hurled the entire thing and every soul in it into the deepest reaches of the Void, never to be seen again. Everything from the highest spire to the subterranean bloodworks, gone. The Empire crumbled in the time that followed. Others aspired to my crown, but I dealt with them swiftly, and with great prejudice."

"That was, oh, roughly six hundred thousand years ago, give or take a few millennia. Ever since then, I've been trying to atone."

Emille listened to her mentor's lengthy exposition story dutifully, trying her best to process it. It was a welcome distraction from the world's worst game of cribbage at least, as the Old Man wasn't much of a talker. "So the price you paid was Self, huh? Your story's crazy, I'd call bullshit if I knew you to lie. Is there an moral to it? I know you love those."

"Hmm. Well, the most relevant one? Don't expect to leave the Dungeon as the same person you were when you went in." Marius considered telling Emille about her earlier change, but decided against it; she needed to be focused.

"Got it. And I believe you said your eye was related to this? I wanna hear about that."
"No, I don't believe I did."
"You certainly implied it."
"Fine. I spent a lot of time travelling around trying to make some of the things I did right. Once I figured enough time had passed, I tracked down my old enemy Wright so I could beg forgiveness. Well, for all his heroic qualities, Wright isn't the most forgiving of people and things escalated. We struggled for a long while. Eventually he managed to strike me right on the face with a blow that would've killed a lesser man outright. He took what was left of the eye as a trophy and left me to writhe around in pain for a while. I still don't know if that was forgiveness or not, but it's as good as I'm gonna get with him."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2017 around 05:33

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

...

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

...

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!

Grimey Drawer

Molriir Hearthstone
HP: 8/10
Initiative: 16
Skills: Educated Dwarf [3d6], Hearthstone [4d6].
Power: *Superior Quality Repeating Crossbow* [3d6]
Defense: Unbelievably Stubborn [5d6]
Shame: Hopelessness, Socially Awkward.
Inventory: Backpack o' stuff (delicious rations, oil, rum, etc.), Hearthstone Shield (+1d6 to a Defense against physical dangers - any nearby stone receives increased durability and tensile strength), Einskis Cipher (solves nothing).



Molriir scowled after the shades, but made no move to pursue. They'd turned the memory of his brothers against him, named him worthless as kin, but the judgement was not theirs to make, however they'd come by it. However true it might be. In his defiance, he'd used his ken of cold iron to cast a chill into their hungry souls, one they'd soon not forget. It was all he knew to do with their ilk and luck had been with him that the shades chose to retreat over testing him further. The dwarf shook his head, and walked over to the edge of the Path. There, he sat down to think and admire the view - it was pretty, in that alien way of an otherworld, despite making no sense. The Einskis Cipher clung to his mind now, a simple, silly thought - a note on how something could be found in nothing, attributed meaning not there to cast an appearance of order... as long as a little thought was put into it.

A truth to ponder.

The Elder races of Orth were born of random happenstance - a cosmic accident. His kind remembered so, in their ancient sagas, and they remembered well, where others forgot. The magic that lay at the core of every Orthn was so minor as to be nearly insignificant, but, like all the other Elders, it allowed them to do the one thing they otherwise could not: exist. Of the seven Elder-kind remaining, the Orthn were by far the least individually powerful, but made up for their small stature and lack of magical power with a needle-like focus. Every dwarf felt the call to prove themselves, to add value to the clan and build on the strengths of the past, and would do so in a myriad of ways. They had recovered and built their society and culture from the ashes of their past tragedies time and again, where others had faltered into oblivion, and knew themselves to not be weak. Their ancestral homelands hosted one of the Orth's most secure and advanced civilizations and they were rightly proud of it - and protective of its success.

It was a success that had lead to his indolence.

"Don't half-arse your life, Moll. There's enough well-rounded workers. Become a master at a craft. To make something of yourself, just pick a path and stick to it," his father had adviced, when Molriir had not been able to chose a suitable course for his life. Stung and stubborn, he'd taken it to heart in the worst manner possible. In a fit of pique, he'd chosen to become an envoy - a decision that had shocked his entire family. Partially it was a choice born to spite his father's expectations, but he'd also wanted to prove himself and boldly announce he'd make good even in such a dangerous role. Even when it became clear he was in over his head, he had had too much honor - too much of a cairn up his behind, more like - to quit. Or rather - he'd thought that if the decision did not suit him, he'd quit soon enough, after his father had become less critical of the time he was taking to choose his life's goal. In the meantime, he'd get to sate his curiousity, prove his honor and bravery, and see the world like few Orthn ever did.

And so off had gone the arrogant son, to court his doom.

His choice had been radical for its recklessness. Few Orthn were expected to live long years outside of the ancestral holdings, no new land had been claimed on the surface above for thousands of years. It was an unfortunate fact of history that the surface world had been filled with chaos and misery since the hellswar, and few of the above-world nations appeared to have done much to improve their lot, least of all the damned humans, most perpetuating their own, sad and tiresome cycles of tragedy and violence. The Orth's remnant races and cultures fought and differed widely in nature and - to Orthn sensibilities - were often hard to deal with, or even understand. Journeys for trade and diplomacy outside the ancestral homelands were known to be so deadly that only expendable - or truly capable - dwarves could be deigned to consider such tasks. Of those lost, many had fallen afoul of exotic diseases, been slain by assailants and bandits, drowned during Orth's incredibly dangerous sea voyages, gotten caught up in local power struggles, or even been killed over a legend that claimed Orthn carried pots of ill-gotten gold and gems.

Molriir had laughed at the tales of the latter... though in the years since, he'd had to fend off more than one over-ambitious thug inspired by such fairy tales.

It was no wonder that over time the Orthn had become less reliant on their own traders, and instead let others come to the outskirts of Orthn lands. For the last century or so a relationship had been established with the Dread Nellies for goods from the wider world, a deal that benefited both the canny pirate queens and the isolationist dwarves. In short, the work Moll had chosen for himself was not only dangerous - it had become largely obsolete. But he'd insisted. He'd involved himself in topworld politics, meddled and offended and blundered his way from one nation to the other, learning - and not learning- as he went. The very next winter he also learned that it was terribly easy for an Orthn to find themselves dying in the snows, lured into an ambush by their own vain pride. Stubbornly he'd clung on - and for once, a lost Orthn survived their usual cautionary fate. Instead, he was saved by the most unlikely people imaginable to him. Humans.

Worse, his saviours were quick to prove themselves kinder and better than he. They nursed him back to health like he was one of their own, despite his foul language and treatment of their kind, and his twisted expectations of their intentions. They hid him from dangers and would-be killers at great personal risk, but accepted nothing in exchange and let him be on his way only after he'd recovered enough to safely go. The helplessness and shame of it all had opened Molriir's eyes to his own intransigences. After a long recovery, and a longer deliberation, he swore to explore the world, learn more of it and bring back what kernels of truth he could to Orthn lands to unbind the twisted beliefs he himself had held. Nearly three decades had been spent on that pursuit, putting to shame the belief that the surface was inescapably lethal.

For thirty years he'd been dead to his family, to his clan. A reckless vagabond of no real use. Attempts at sending letters and messages had been his best and only recourse for explaining how he'd felt and what he'd done, and he had no ken of how many might have actually made it, despite his best efforts. Yet, he knew his quest to be right. Stubbornly, he would not face his family and clan until he had seen more of the world he'd known so little about. That there was an element of shame and selfishness there, he could not deny... but they were also his to bear, for something good would come of it, however hopeless it seemed. He believed that. He'd enjoyed his journeys, for all the good and the bad he'd witnessed. He'd found an equilibrium.

Then, everything had come to a crashing halt. After joining a grand expedition and being lead to another terrible end - again averted by the bravery of a man, and his own stubborn refusals to give up - Molriir had returned from the Hells themselves, hale and whole, but shaken with disturbing ken. He'd learned truths so fell and wicked he had seen no recourse but to begin his long-delayed journey home - and not just for the sake of one species' redemption and the advancement of his kind's ken. The Orth as he knew it might be at stake. And though, for him personally, it meant that the truth of his self-imposed exile would be out at last, he set his sights for home. To finally explain how he'd failed in his role as envoy. How he'd failed in his duty to clan Marnavir. How he'd taken it upon himself to embrace a quest none would understood the reasons for, representing nothing but his own shattered ego. He had been prepared to carve his truths and his vision of the future indelibly into Orthn memory, if they'd but listen.

Instead, he'd been beaten to the punch, finding only a mystic pit in the ground instead of his home halls, pouring refugees like one of the legendary diasporas of old. A challenge had been issued in feminine tone, its warning made clear in the broken and confused disparate beings pouring onto the Orth from the gaping maw. Someone had bored a hole through everything and placed it square on the piece of Orth he'd called home.

In the face of that broken homecoming, of the vanishing of his clan, what else could he do but hitch on his backpack and enter?

"Pick a path, and stick to it."

Molriir chuckled. Had his father known the consequences of those words, they would never have been spoken. His parents had not wanted this life for him... but it was the one he'd chosen, and whatever his faults, he had stuck to it, even when instead of the familial reckoning, the encounter he'd anticipated, dreaded and prepared for, he'd found another leg on his lengthy journey, another hell to delve and escape... if he could manage such a miracle twice. There was no security, no safety net, no last chances to count on. He knew that in the face of such power, success was an infinitely unlikely prospect. Far better, stronger, beings than he had tried, would try, and be lost to it.

He'd have been better off not trying.

"But what do we lose, not tryin'? This place o' endless paths, it donnae have th' heft o' me, nor th' strength o' things more real. I reckon it can only keep them what can't see it fer less than broken angles and cheat-some bends. Only them what can't keep their smaller hearths burnin', the little reasons t' belong an' carry on, nae?" he said, raising an eyebrow at the Old Man, to no real reaction.

[4d6] Hearthstone - [2d6] Shames to buff It's Pointless: 7 vs 1 Success becomes failure!

"And there's what's t' gain t' consider! Bleedin' hells on ice, why's it so pointless tryin' fer yer dreams, e'en if ye can become lost on th' way? If it's pointless tryin', it's pointless nae tryin' too, and then it's pointless bein'... but ye cannae help but be when ye are, ye ken, so why make bein' pointless th' point? Ye'll always find yer own points, in existin', losin' and gainin' 'em all th' way round as ye go through yer state, or states, o' bein'. If yer point is it's pointless, ye still got a point, and I know I'm bein' a pendantic arse fer sayin' that, but it's true. I used t' believe there was little point respectin' their kind, fer one," he said, and paused in his freeflow rant to gesture at the humans, sitting upside-down in the distance.

"I was a bit o' a brat. Bit o' a wisebeard. It was th' ken I'd grown up with, and I thought I knew it true, and no lie, I hadn't seen anythin' that I hadn't expected either fer some time, on account o' nae lookin' fer it."

Emille was animatedly playing some little game with the Old Man, himself seeming to respond to her moves, who seemed surprisingly engaged in the game. She and the Duchess weren't exactly the vision of the backstabbing xenophobic fools he'd considered mankind's basic state of being, once upon a time.

"Then, turns out, they had a few good points that I ought 'ave considered, and that me own points were fairly toothless t' boot, aye, e'en worthless. It don't have t' take bent and broken angles t' give an Orthn a change o' perspective! Spend some time walkin' down any path and ye'll see e'eryone and e'erything can change, fer better and worse, and it's better, if ye can, t' try fer better, e'en if ye cannae and will ne'er reach what yer after. Tha' ain't th' point, after all. I prob'ly won't e'er live t' see the changes I seek make th' difference tha' I want 'em to. Some o'er Orthn will 'ave t' take up th' chisel and keep on hammerin', an' there's nae guarantee they'll do, or keep seein' th' need o' it that I have. Odds be, they'll 'ave their own points t' find and make and I can jest hope that they'll see as I, that we ought t' - must - change our old beliefs. Iffen they don't, all I've done will 'ave been fer naught. But I'm nae stoppin' jest because there's a chance I won't e'er do well enough. What is will ne'er e'en have a chance o' changin' tha' way. Ye ken me?"

[4d6] Hearthstone - [2d6] Shames to buff It's Pointless: 6 vs 3 Success becomes failure!

Perhaps not. But that was the way of things. Understanding wasn't always within reach.

"E'eryone loses everythin' in th' end. But th' end ain't here yet."

The dwarf picked up his backpack, and peered towards the path he'd cleared. The humans - he wanted to help them... but right now he was a bit of an emotional mess, and wasn't sure how he'd do so! And he'd certainly rambled for long enough.

"Look, I ken yer prob'ly some kind o' force, or demon or devil or jest an unfortunate victim fer who's really at work here - this realm seems bound t' ye, wha' with ye bein' th' afterimage on me eyelids - but... there's nae hard feelings. What's th' point, after all? I donnae ken how long these paths will go, an' I don't expect 'em t' lead straight out... but I'll head down them all th' same, fer a while. Give it a fair try."

With a wave at the humans, he started trudging down the path cleared of shades.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

Wave 3
Floor 2
The War Room / Trial of Distraction






There was never anyone to tell this story. No all seeing, omnipotent pantokrator, no wise narrator or wise cracking commentator.
Certainly not some lonesome Lady, bound to Observe this mystical and ancient dungeon for reasons both obscure and quantum.
No, it was a story that was lived by those who experienced it. A story of lives, all too suddenly ended.



Dawn broke on the world and the High Gods peered, faces flush with ineffable emotion, down from their comfortable armchairs in the Heavens, down at their unwary dominion.
The seasons had changed upon Table. Fertile spring giving way to desolate winter, goading the few that eaked out their existence there to cover neath hide and home.

The last harvest, more a gathering of meat and berries than anything truly industrial had been collected and stored. But such nutritional wealth came with its own drawbacks.
Lured by the scent of survival, the least and most vulnerable had banded together to form an army of prey - ready to strike whatever resource looked most least defended.
This amalgamation of cowards acted as a natural stoppage, hindering even the most stalwart community from ever really advancing their own agendas. The Gods on high looked on, bemused.

What else would their magnificent senses have spotted on this, the first day of their Pantheon?
The Dead drop pass? That decrepit bridge of legend, what spanned a chasm said to have been carved when the Gods themselves did battle with Justice and lost?



Did they tremble at the sight of the Mammoth, a collosus as old as time, whose steppes had named the land as readily as it's passing turned them flat and barren?



Or did they spy the Pit of Gloom, and the festering madness that lay at the heart of goblin town?



Ah, but perhaps it was the ancient Glitchwoods finally that drew their attentions, and the things within that surely wern't.




--

First of the High Gods to act was Katte, the Predator.
With his keen reflexes and insurmountable spite, he claimed the Foundations of the World as his domain, marking them with his mountain-sized-claws, causing the world to shudder.
Evermore should the people of Table refer to these periodic disturbances as kattequakes, that through their fear and reverence the High God may be appeased.

Disrepect table 11 vs Warded MagiTek Wartable: 4d6 10 = Success!
Territory claimed, though since it lies Beneath table it has little to no actual use beyond increasing your Dominion by 1. Congratulations!


But though they pleaded and prayed, Kattes Rage was unabated. In what would in the legends be reffered to as the Second Calamity, he struck the world, manifesting within as a great avatar of destruction to much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Attack Table: 18 vs Warded MagiTek Wartable: 4d6 = 13 = Succes! 1 damage transferred to world! Your Dominion Score is increased by 1!



Already reeling from the kattequakes and the First Calamity at the end of the previous era of High Gods, It would be many orb-cycles until Table might recover, if it ever truly could.

--

Second of the High Gods to act, this one decidedly more merciful if none the less alien was Promchephius, the Exodus.
Her inscrutable powers reached out from on high, infusing the very ecosystem of the Glitchie Forest to prepare its denizens for Ascendancy.
A great glitchwood tree rose from its centre, clipping through the forest canopy far into the skybox, that all who might gaze upon it would know, and by knowing would become enlightened.



Glitchie Exodus: 23 vs Warded MagiTek Wartable: 4d6 18 = Sucess!
You have claimed the Glitchwoods as your territory, increasing your Dominion Score by 1 and adopted its denizines, the Glitchies, as your People.




The Glitchies are a type zero civilisation, hunter gatherers at best. The Great Glitchwood Tree offers one unit of dominion per cycle, in the form of volountary ascendancy, at the cost of one population growth per cycle should you so desire.
They currently have a population of one. They lack for shelter, putting them at risk from wandering monsters and other perils and have no resources to call their own, negating population growth and other societal advances.
They have no special skills, having lost having lost their greatest mind and source-coderer, you, at the end of the last era and many others since to the dangers of this ravaged world.


--

Third of the High Gods to act was Profania, the Queen of Embers.

Ignite the pit for warmth: 13 Warded MagiTek Wartable: 4d6 21 = Failure! The Territory remains unclaimed.

It was she that ignited the Pit of Gloom, turning it in the crude speech of the Goblins who dwelled around it into the Pit of Doom. They feared it and kept away from its fires, for to be licked by its flames would be to invite swift and terrible demise.



Make imp friends: 13 vs Type 0 Civilsation: 1d6 2 = Success!

From this wound upon the world spewed countless daemons called Scorchers, and they battled with the entrenched Goblins for their stake upon the lands.



[Success! You establish a new People, the Scorchers, and by so doing increase your dominion score by one!

The Scorchers are a type zero civilisation, hunter gatherers at best. They have no shelter, no food, and have no resources to call their own, negating population growth and other societal advances.
They have no special skills. They share territory with a hostile species, with neither party able to lay claim to it, leaving them both faced with extinction.
They are also at risk from wandering monsters and other wordly perils.
That they survive despite of this is only due to the existance of the Pit of Doom, that fixes their growth rate to 1 as long as it remains active, regardless of other factors.
However, with all of the above in mind, the civilsation as it stands has no chance to improve on its own.]


--

Fourth of the High Gods to act was Lumos, the Painter, for in her devotion to her mate did she make the sky her Canvas, using the as Orb her brush to glorify her high-god mate, Whylma.

Healing Wilma 15 vs Warded MagiTek Wartable: 4d6 15 = Success! But what is this? Table absorbs your healing magics!!

Basking in its radiance, the land which had suffered so grew calmer, the wandering monsters kept at bay for a time.



The Peoples of Table wept openly, so thankful were they from the respite, and called out for Lumos for protection. She thrived on their devotion, and the world seemed so much brighter for it.

[Success? You (somewhat accidentally) claim the Sky as your territory, increasing your dominion score by 1! It has no Peoples in it, though some of the peoples of Table recognize you as worthy of worship all the same.]

--

Fifth of the High Gods to act was Nezzesary, The Ravenous One.

Charm goblins into making sacrifices to the pit: 13 vsType 0 Civilsation: 1d6 4 = Success!

It was she who goaded the Goblins into everlasting skirmish with the Scorchers for control of the Pit of Doom, that they might feed her unceasing hunger. In so doing, they established themselves for the first time in an Era, albeit teneously.

[Success! You adopt the Goblins as your People, and by so doing increase your dominion score by one! The Goblins are a type zero civilisation, hunter gatherers at best.
They have no shelter, no food, and have no resources to call their own, negating population growth and other societal advances.
Their special skill is Sacrifice, enabling you to convert a unit of population directy into Dominion at a ratio of 1:1. Note that the population sacrificed does not have to be your own, as others can be claimed through combat or negotiation.
The Goblins share territory with a hostile species, the Scorchers, with neither party able to lay claim to it, leaving them both faced with extinction if nothing is done to prevent it.
They are also at risk from wandering monsters and other wordly perils.


--

Last of the High Gods to act was Whylma, the dearly departed.
She, who amongst the peoples of Table was said to be the guardian of the afterlife (and thus directly in oppositon of Promchephius whom would see the afterlife subverted) and the consort of Lumos, she who both spoke and gambled with the dead.

[Talent failure! Gamble vs the enviornment: 6 vs Warded MagiTek Wartable: 4d6 18 = Failure! Nothing happens!]

She? She did nothing, as was her wont. Hers was not the trappings of mortality, or so the Peoples mused and for the most part kept on ignoring her.

--

[Everyone]
When Orb once more dimmed at the end of the Cycle, the High Gods looked down once more upon Table, and saw that it was Good.



Marked in Green is the Glitchwoods, property of Cepi Yu.
Marked in Red is the disputed territory claimed by the Goblins, under Nezera
Marked in Blue is the disputed territory claimed by the Scorchers, under Stefania.
Not marked is the Sky, the territory governed by Vivienne
Not marked is the Foundation, the territory governed by Cat
The Armies of Prey, marked with the sign of a bad-guy, have been cowed for this turn, marked with white fluffy clouds.

Marked with a white swirl, partof the abyss has begun healing, the world returning to its natural state. However, a new abyss has consumed part of Table at the behest of Cat.
Katte, The Predator, avatar of Cat, is marked with the image of a lion.
Mammoth, the collosus, a wandering boss-monster, is marked with the image of an elephant.

[The Glitchies of Glitchwood]
Have a total population of one.
Are a type 0 civilisation.
Lacking food-sources and resources, the Glitchies neither grow nor advance.
As population growth is at zero and your population is at one, the special site The Great Glitchwood Tree cannot be used to harvest dominion without eradicating your society in the process.
As Wandering Monsters having been cowed for this cycle, the Glitchies are not attacked in the night.

As food stores begin at one and the population begins at one, the current food stores diminsh to zero. The Glitchies risk starvation if no additional food sources are obtained before the end of the next cycle.

[The Goblins of Disputed Territory]
Have a total population of one.
Are a type 0 civilisation.
Lacking food-sources and resources, the Goblins neither grow nor advance.
As Wandering Monsters having been cowed for this cycle, the Goblins are not attacked in the night.

As food stores begin at one and the population begins at one, the current food stores diminsh to zero. The Goblins risk starvation if no additional food sources are obtained before the end of the next cycle.

[The Scorchers of Disputed Territory]
Have a total population of one.
Are a type 0 civilisation.
Lacking food-sources and resources, the Scorchers neither grow nor advance, however the presence of the special site The Pit of Doom increases population growth to One.
As Wandering Monsters having been cowed for this cycle, the Scorchers are not attacked in the night.

As food stores begin at one and your population has grown to two, the Scorchers face immediate starvation. One unit of population perishes as a result, leaving you with zero food and one unit of population left.
If no additional food sources are obtained, your civilisation will be wiped out by the end of the next cycle.

--

[WAR!]
The Goblins wage battle agains the Scorchers for their disputed territory!
As both societies are type 0, lack both resources and food, face starvation and have no special skills associated with combat and are receiving no special aid from their deities, the result of combat is a stalemate.
Casulties are roughly equal on both sides. This state of affairs will continue indefinately unless the High Gods intervene.

--

[Dominion]
Dominion may be earned through Godly Actions and spent, likewise.
One Dominion is good for 1d6 to any table-related action.

--

[Mammoth, Cat]
Rampaging through the night, Mammoth approaches Katte, The Predator, Avatar of Cat,

Mammoth Intentions (Bad, Good?): 1d2 = 1

Mammoth challenges Katte to glorious divine combat! Should you accept, roll to attack as you would normally and hope for the best. Should you decline, your Avatar must flee the field, losing you one dominion in the process.
Should you attempt to otherwise sway the Mammoth, use your skills or talents as appropiate.

--

[Everyone]
The world lives beneath your omnipotent gaze, every atom of existance bared to you through countless infographics. It is enthralling, beautiful, and yours.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at Dec 19, 2017 around 04:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010





Countess Nezera Amaris
Initiative 8
HP: 6/10
Skills: Supernatural Movement [3d6], Charming Gaze [3d6]
Powers: Unnatural Strength [5d6]
Defense: Traumatic Regeneration [4d6]
Talent: Impromptu Hors d'oeuvres [Avaliable]
Items: None!
Dominion: 0->1
AI: Non-hostile- Charm non-PC targets to do tasks for me. Hostile- Punch the hell out of enemies.


Nezera shakes her head ever so slightly as her simpleton Goblins immediately fall into conflict with the newly introduced species. Glancing over in Stefania's direction she queries "I imagine you'd like your little sparks to survive going forward? Do try and get them to cease hostilities if you'd please, they have a natural ally in the Goblins."

Nezera goes quiet for a minute as she practices what she preaches, turning her focus to the Goblins she Commands them to move slightly deeper into the mountain, seeking out subterranean mushrooms to first collect and in turn to propogate them. War was useless if everyone involved was about to keel over from starvation, best to turn their aggression toward something productive.

Returning her attention to Stefania, Nezera continues "Now if those little irritants don't bungle up a simple farming task I imagine our two little groups will flourish," Nezera taps a nail on the shared borders of the Goblins and Scorchers "My Goblins can turn population to power, your Scorchers will continue to grow unbound by anything other than avaliable food sources to the point where they will be on the verge of starvation forever. I take it you can see the potential for both groups in such a power loop?"

Pointing at her Goblins toiling away in an attempt at setting up a farming system Nezera sighs "It can pay off to subjugate creatures like these that happen to live in your borders, but it is a mite irritating with how hands on you have to be at first."

Nezera's nail still rests on the map tapping rhythmically away as she ponders her next move, a loud clack as she brings it down a final time sounding out "I'd prefer to secure the border to the north of the mountain, but these Goblins are just as likely to succumb to the elements as they are to a wandering calamity," turning her Gaze on her subjects once more, Nezera runs them through the basics of building infrastructure, they wouldn't be able to figure out anything fancy, but they'd at least have some hovels to protect them from some creepy crawlies in the mountains.

quote:

Action one: Charming Gaze vs Goblins: Make peace so they can farm mushrooms to not die=11

Action 2: Charming Gaze vs Goblins- Hey idiots make houses=9

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Dec 19, 2017 around 04:10

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »