Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

July contains both US Independence Day and Canada Day, so here's comic characters Captain America and Captain Canuck.

Have happy and safe holidays and discuss comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
No Wolverine representing Canada? What the he'll is this?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I want to give a shout out to the guy who stopped talking loudly about Transformers comics when I went into the comic shop because he "didn't want to spoil it for anyone". Odds are I won't read it and it wouldn't have mattered but I appreciated the thought.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

Movie rights situation. Sorry.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Madkal posted:

Nobody remembers the X-men anymore

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

He's a lousy X-pat.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Endless Mike posted:

He's a lousy X-pat.

He's representing our interests abroad, bub.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking, as we were last thread, of Image covers...
https://twitter.com/ErikJLarsen/status/881225208689967105

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking, as we were last thread, of Image covers...
https://twitter.com/ErikJLarsen/status/881225208689967105

What's being censored in the corner of the bed? A cluster of disembodied boobs?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuns with Guns posted:

What's being censored in the corner of the bed? A cluster of disembodied boobs?

sex toys, maybe? I'm wondering why they felt the need to censor Savage Dragon's nipple

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just took part in a lovely conversation in Champions Online where several people informed me Marvel was "circling the drain" and that the only way for them to be redeemed is if they fired everyone currently in charge because they were "pushing their cultural marxist agenda instead of telling stories" and people were tired of their "SJW horseshit".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I sure love people who use "SJW" unironically.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Your first mistake was expecting any sort of intelligent conversation in an MMO.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly even "Batman culd bet up spiderman bcuz hes BADA$$" would've been worlds better.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

I sure love people who use "SJW" unironically.

Or even imagine that it's somehow an insult, honestly.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly even "Batman culd bet up spiderman bcuz hes BADA$$" would've been worlds better.
That's ridiculous. Batman wouldn't fight Spider-Man but see a new Robin in training.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A new super in Gotham would be regarded with suspicion bordering on hostility until he hears a pledge against crime.

See also: https://youtu.be/kYNmhGmR9go

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of my pet ideas for writing a Batman comic would be a Gotham-born superhero who doesn't think Batman's system works because it's too rigid on crime, and Batman having to deal with someone who isn't interested in his lectures and sees him as just as inefficient as he sees the GCPD.

Please don't steal my bad Batman idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the course of my ongoing quest to tidy my messy bookshelves, I have encountered the non-comics equivalent of TPB spines not lining up because the company changed their logo etc.

Here is one of my bookshelves:

Let's zoom in:

For goodness' sake, Zorro publisher. :cripes:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

One of my pet ideas for writing a Batman comic would be a Gotham-born superhero who doesn't think Batman's system works because it's too rigid on crime, and Batman having to deal with someone who isn't interested in his lectures and sees him as just as inefficient as he sees the GCPD.

Congrats you just invented Red Hood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I said too rigid on crime, not too lenient.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's also basically the Anarky miniseries.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

That's also basically the Anarky miniseries.

That's closer to what I had in mind yeah. Minus the first year philosophy student narration lol.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I started reading the Simonson Thor trades I bought during the amazon sale and they are just as amazing as I've been told

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Soonmot posted:

I started reading the Simonson Thor trades I bought during the amazon sale and they are just as amazing as I've been told

What's so cool about them? Legitimately don't know much about Thor runs--is Simonson in the 80s?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The art is way cleaner than I expect for the time, and while I love modern coloring (for the most part) there is something about that flat, limited palette that really makes the pictures pop. I'm only one issue in, but the story is already dense af, something I commented on when I started the Moench/Sienkevich Moon Knight a bit ago.

But why listen to my poorly cobbled together thoughts when you can listen to Miles and Elizabeth really get into the story. Their podcast was the main reason I picked this up, just like Jay and Miles pushed me towards grabbing Excalibur, too.

https://www.thelightningandthestorm.com/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read it just for the onomatopoeia.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Also Anarky before his writer turned him into a weird techno-fascist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AlmightyBob posted:

Also Anarky before his writer turned him into a weird techno-fascist

Shouldn't he be like the opposite of that

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Shouldn't he be like the opposite of that

I apparently misremembered. Anarky was original a fairly leftist character until Alan Grant became an objectivist for some reason and used the Anarky mini-series to espouse Neo-Tech, which is a nerdy offshoot of objectivism

He basically went from leftist antistatism to rightwing corporate antistatism which is very funny to me.

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 2, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's so cool about them? Legitimately don't know much about Thor runs--is Simonson in the 80s?

Its issues Thor #337-355, #357-369, #371-382; Balder the Brave #1-4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the course of my ongoing quest to tidy my messy bookshelves, I have encountered the non-comics equivalent of TPB spines not lining up because the company changed their logo etc.

Here is one of my bookshelves:

Let's zoom in:

For goodness' sake, Zorro publisher. :cripes:

I have an Ultimate Spider-Man trade where the title is published upside down on the spine for some reason. Like you know how literally every single english language book in existence has the tops of the letters on the right side, not this one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

That is pretty much Spoiler in the current Detective Comics.
Also I just have to lol at anyone that uses Marxist/communist as a negative in this day and age

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Does anyone have an opinion on the early GI Joe comics?

The commentary in the back of GI Joe vs Transformers refers to them a lot and I was curious if they were any good, and if they were collected in trades somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the lore beyond having watching the cartoon show as a kid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wikipedia posted:

G.I. Joe was Marvel's top-selling subscription title in 1985, and was receiving 1200 fan letters per week by 1987. The series has been credited with bringing in a new generation of comic book readers, since many children were introduced to the comic book medium through G.I. Joe, and later went on to read other comics.[3] The comic book has been re-printed several times, and also translated in multiple languages. In addition to direct spin-offs of the comic book, several revivals and reboots have been published throughout the 2000s.

They are approximately 500 times better than they have any right to be. Larry Hama on the GI Joe comics was like the 80s version of Tom Taylor on Injustice: He took a comic that only existed to tie into a product and put genuine love into it and wrote some memorable, badass, gripping, and even terrifying stories. The concept of GI Joe has never and will never be explored better.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There are several Classic GI Joe TPBs reprinting the '80s series. It started slow, but ended up far better than it had any right to be. The Cobra villains and the ninjas were always much more interesting than the Joes themselves, which shouldn't be too surprising.

I collected them all as a kid (as well as the figures) and wish I still had them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's ridiculous. Batman wouldn't fight Spider-Man but see a new Robin in training.

And then Spider-Man would die.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Eh, he'd get better.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

Eh, he'd get better.
Nah, he'd be replaced by new Robin, Ben Reily and then replaced by Miles Morales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Timeless Appeal posted:

I always wanted to see that, but with Spidey in the black costume. I'd also like to see a universe where Peter Parker replaces Jimmy Olsen as the Daily Planet photographer.

• Locked thread