Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

joehonkie posted:

My son just started calmly explaining to me who Starscream, Megatron, Bumblebee, and Soundwave are. I have never really exposed him to Transformers (I assume he picked it up at school).

It was very amusing. I guess this is the nerd equivalent of your kid discovering the "unknown" band you listened in in High School.

That is awesome. I've exposed my nephew to Transformers this Christmas. We'll probably have a marathon the next time I babysit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can get arrested for exposing yourself, and you can die from exposure. Both of you implicitly know Transformers is a bad thing by the language you use.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

joehonkie posted:

I mean, he's not quite five so might as well be the same thing to him.

It was more his earnestness in telling me about something totally new and cool to him I'm thinking of.

That's always neat. I remember one of my nephews explaining to me what a ninja turtle is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That's always neat. I remember one of my nephews explaining to me what a ninja turtle is.

Did you play along? "But how can turtles be ninjas?" :confused: and so on?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Did you play along? "But how can turtles be ninjas?" :confused: and so on?

I was like "Oh yeah I've heard of those, what's up with them?"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ghostlight posted:

You can get arrested for exposing yourself, and you can die from exposure. Both of you implicitly know Transformers is a bad thing by the language you use.

:frogout:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There was a little kid (first grade, still needed help reading) that I was tutoring who was assigned a biography of Anne Frank for some sort of Baby's First Biography/Book Report. I don't think the teacher thought this through because as it turns out first graders are not really familiar with the concept of the Holocaust, or World Wars, or different laws than the ones they're just starting to understand as first graders. This led to a lot of uncomfortable questions and as he kept asking "But Why?" I was having a lot of trouble answering these questions delicately. At one point he was lost in deep thought and looked up solemnly:

"So does World War II take place before or after World War Hulk?"
"World War II took place like eighty years ago, and was real. World War Hulk was a made up story from the past few years."
"...so World War II was before World War Hulk?"
"Yes."

[[More struggling both with sounding out words and grasping the systemic murder of millions]]

"So... one other thing... did Red Hulk have anything to do with World War II?"
"Red Hulk didn't even appear until after World War Hulk, how could--"
"I KNOW THAT RED HULK APPEARS AFTER WORLD WAR HULK."

This seven year old was irate that I was mansplaining Red Hulk to him. I wish I had gotten to see his book report on Anne Frank, I hope at least one Hulk appeared in it. Or at least some sort of "Adolf Hitler was a bad man, almost as bad as Red Hulk."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

There was a little kid (first grade, still needed help reading) that I was tutoring who was assigned a biography of Anne Frank for some sort of Baby's First Biography/Book Report. I don't think the teacher thought this through because as it turns out first graders are not really familiar with the concept of the Holocaust, or World Wars, or different laws than the ones they're just starting to understand as first graders. This led to a lot of uncomfortable questions and as he kept asking "But Why?" I was having a lot of trouble answering these questions delicately. At one point he was lost in deep thought and looked up solemnly:

"World War II took place like eighty years ago, and was real. World War Hulk was a made up story from the past few years."
"Yes."

[[More struggling both with sounding out words and grasping the systemic murder of millions]]

This seven year old was irate that I was mansplaining Red Hulk to him. I wish I had gotten to see his book report on Anne Frank, I hope at least one Hulk appeared in it. Or at least some sort of "Adolf Hitler was a bad man, almost as bad as Red Hulk."

Hahahahahahaha I really hope my future child is like this kid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Lords of Shadow was dumb but nowhere near that bad.

Lords of Shadow 2 on the other hand is awful depressing as the last true Castlevania game.

LoS 1 had quite possibly the stupidest twist ending ever. Mainly because it makes absolutely no sense. You beat the final boss and Gabriel, the main character, is all "Oh man, I am so at peace now that I've won. Everything is totally cool with me. I've accepted everything!" Then the credits roll and after they end you get "Hey, remember me, Gabriel? I'M TOTALLY DRACULA NOW AND IT ALSO THE MODERN DAY!"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

LoS 1 had quite possibly the stupidest twist ending ever. Mainly because it makes absolutely no sense. You beat the final boss and Gabriel, the main character, is all "Oh man, I am so at peace now that I've won. Everything is totally cool with me. I've accepted everything!" Then the credits roll and after they end you get "Hey, remember me, Gabriel? I'M TOTALLY DRACULA NOW AND IT ALSO THE MODERN DAY!"

He asks God for forgiveness. God said "no."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Samuringa posted:

He asks God for forgiveness. God said "no."

Is that how it ends? Because that's weird as poo poo since all of 2 is God going "we cool".

He literally out-prays a Templar in a God battle.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Edge & Christian posted:

"Yes."

Last night, my son was miming things over Facetime for his mother to guess what he was and it migrated from "trapped in a box" kind of mime things to acting out different MCU characters. Being my ex-wife, she easily got all of these.

He then went into characters that he knew of, but wasn't as familiar with. Like, he wanted to be Doctor Octopus, but didn't know how to act as him other than him rising up by his arms as he's floating and he aasked me for clues to give to his mom. I told him to tell her he has 8 arms and an advanced degree. She got Doc Oct pretty quick but he wanted me to come up with a different character that has 8 arms and an advanced degree to trick her.

He's the cutest nerd.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

omnibobb posted:

Last night, my son was miming things over Facetime for his mother to guess what he was and it migrated from "trapped in a box" kind of mime things to acting out different MCU characters. Being my ex-wife, she easily got all of these.

He then went into characters that he knew of, but wasn't as familiar with. Like, he wanted to be Doctor Octopus, but didn't know how to act as him other than him rising up by his arms as he's floating and he aasked me for clues to give to his mom. I told him to tell her he has 8 arms and an advanced degree. She got Doc Oct pretty quick but he wanted me to come up with a different character that has 8 arms and an advanced degree to trick her.

He's the cutest nerd.

I love it. There has to be a backup genius with eight arms. Marvel has so many geniuses.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Peter Parker (Earth 11983)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just realised that Doc Ock has a sort of German-sounding accent in the Spider-Man '94 cartoon because it was supposed to tie in with the James Cameron movie which was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Ock.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I ordered an Amazon Fire yesterday and I was wondering if anyone had any issues with using it to read comics. I'm pretty new to digital comics at all but I've found it really hard to read physical books with our baby in my lap so I thought a Kindle might be easier to read with 1 hand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The $50 one? It's small with low resolution, so expect to have to zoom and pan around a lot.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

I ordered an Amazon Fire yesterday and I was wondering if anyone had any issues with using it to read comics. I'm pretty new to digital comics at all but I've found it really hard to read physical books with our baby in my lap so I thought a Kindle might be easier to read with 1 hand.

I have an older model Fire and I don't have many issues with it. I've got ComiCat which I love. Only issue is that when I put cbz files on my Fire, it converts them to black and white. But I think I fixed that in the settings of my eCalibre and ComiCat.

I plan on gettin a new Fire soon though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The $50 one? It's small with low resolution, so expect to have to zoom and pan around a lot.

It wont be that bad. I dunno how it compares with an iPad mini, but I'm fine reading all of my comics in landscape, fit-to-width where you just have to scroll down.

There's also the view on Comixology where you just swipe and it moves you between full-screen panels.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 12, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This is my shame: https://www.amazon.com/HP-17-l010-Android-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00NC07T1I

Heavy, huge, wants to be a laptop but uses an android OS. There's a reason why it was discontinued. Did I mention that it doesn't rotate on it's own? I had to install an app to flip the screen so I don't have to use guided view in comixology.

But I got it new for less than half price, and for what I use it for (comics!) it is perfect. All in all, a 17 inch screen is a bit overkill, but the width is perfect for displaying full sized pages. Double page spreads need guided view or screen rotation, but eh. It's served me well for over a year and people always ask about it when I'm reading comics at the bar (which Ill be headed to in an hour or so).

EDIT: poo poo, I've had this beast for almost two years now. I need to start saving up assuming it has a three year lifespan like most of these things

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least it's got that sweet Dr. Dre audiobar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How does a 17" screen need guided view for double-page spreads!? My iPad Air displays them reasonably readable in landscape, and my iPad Pro does it without issue at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

The only problem I ever had was that Marvel Unlimited isn't supported, but that's easily solved by getting the apk file and installing it. It works great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

How does a 17" screen need guided view for double-page spreads!? My iPad Air displays them reasonably readable in landscape, and my iPad Pro does it without issue at all.

It doesn't *need* it, but since comixology doesn't let me just zoom in like my cbr reader, and I don't like straining my eyes if there's a bunch of small text, I switch to GV.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just realised that Doc Ock has a sort of German-sounding accent in the Spider-Man '94 cartoon because it was supposed to tie in with the James Cameron movie which was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Ock.

He had a German accent because Otto Octavius is German.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Otto was born in New York and his parents were both Americans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because I have a disease I drove an hour out of my way to go look at a comic collection after work tonight. 5 long boxes, nothing special but he said he had a lot of Deadpool issues and Deadpools are easy money right now. He had the two minis, the first 12 of the ongoing from 1997 and a bunch of X-force issues. Not really worth the trip to be honest. He wanted $200, I talked him down to $100 and then struggled to fit the 5 boxes in my Miata. Got home, got unloaded and dumped them in the garage and I'm sitting here alphabetizing them and I've found a complete run of X-Factor from 1-121 (so far), first Apocalypse and Archangel in NM shape and in box #4 I hit his New Mutants stuff. Started at #53 and I'm flipping through and I get to #95 and I swear I got sweaty and my hands went numb and BAM, New Mutants #98. And it's loving flawless. Hell of a score for $100 and two hours out of my day.

Incidentally, if you shove hard enough you can get two long boxes in the trunk of a 2006 Miata and three in the passenger seat.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roth posted:

The only problem I ever had was that Marvel Unlimited isn't supported, but that's easily solved by getting the apk file and installing it. It works great.

That's weird Marvel Unlimited isn't supported, I had just assumed it would be.

Is it difficult to get the apk or whatever? I'm not super familiar with that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Because I have a disease I drove an hour out of my way to go look at a comic collection after work tonight. 5 long boxes, nothing special but he said he had a lot of Deadpool issues and Deadpools are easy money right now. He had the two minis, the first 12 of the ongoing from 1997 and a bunch of X-force issues. Not really worth the trip to be honest. He wanted $200, I talked him down to $100 and then struggled to fit the 5 boxes in my Miata. Got home, got unloaded and dumped them in the garage and I'm sitting here alphabetizing them and I've found a complete run of X-Factor from 1-121 (so far), first Apocalypse and Archangel in NM shape and in box #4 I hit his New Mutants stuff. Started at #53 and I'm flipping through and I get to #95 and I swear I got sweaty and my hands went numb and BAM, New Mutants #98. And it's loving flawless. Hell of a score for $100 and two hours out of my day.

Incidentally, if you shove hard enough you can get two long boxes in the trunk of a 2006 Miata and three in the passenger seat.

What is so special about New Mutants #98??? Pardon my ignorance!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

LoL, my bad. It's the first appearance of Deadpool. Even poo poo conditioned copies sell for good money!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

First Deadpool appearance.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's weird Marvel Unlimited isn't supported, I had just assumed it would be.

Is it difficult to get the apk or whatever? I'm not super familiar with that.

Nah, you can find it just by googling Marvel Unlimited apk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

Otto was born in New York and his parents were both Americans.

Is that established in the comics at any point? Given him first showing up in the 60's I sorta assumed his original origin was Wernher Von Braun esque.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is that established in the comics at any point?

There was a one-shot that detailed his youth in I wanna say the late 80s. His parents were super American.

Also he tried to cure AIDS in that story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

There was a one-shot that detailed his youth in I wanna say the late 80s. His parents were super American.

Also he tried to cure AIDS in that story.

I'm going to chalk that up to trying to avoid the obvious implication that he was Wernher Von Braun if Von Braun cared more about mechanical arms than rockets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not all german-named scientists are former nazis, you horrible racist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

In the time period Otto Octavius was first introduced they were either Nazis or Jews who fled the Nazis. And don't loving :godwin: me about a character who once tried to kill off 90% of the planet just so the other 10% would remember him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Is that established in the comics at any point? Given him first showing up in the 60's I sorta assumed his original origin was Wernher Von Braun esque.
Apparently no one really fleshed out Doc Ock's early life until the early 1990s, when Spider-Man Unlimited #3 established that he was born and grew up in upstate New York with an abusive construction worker dad and an overbearing/coddling mother. That basic backstory carried through to some mini-series/stories put out around the time of Spider-Man 2, and also to Slott's Superior Spider-Man. I think he just showed up as an evil scientist dude with no real backstory prior to that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Only the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He wasn't even an evil scientist. He was just some nerd who invented robotic reach grabbers so he could gently caress around with radioactive test tubes.

• Locked thread