Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

He wasn't even an evil scientist. He was just some nerd who invented robotic reach grabbers so he could gently caress around with radioactive test tubes.

Wernher Von Braun wasn't evil either, he was just really into making rockets. He's the reason we got to the moon, and he's also the reason London has a lot of cool building built after 1945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Because I have a disease I drove an hour out of my way to go look at a comic collection after work tonight. 5 long boxes, nothing special but he said he had a lot of Deadpool issues and Deadpools are easy money right now. He had the two minis, the first 12 of the ongoing from 1997 and a bunch of X-force issues. Not really worth the trip to be honest. He wanted $200, I talked him down to $100 and then struggled to fit the 5 boxes in my Miata. Got home, got unloaded and dumped them in the garage and I'm sitting here alphabetizing them and I've found a complete run of X-Factor from 1-121 (so far), first Apocalypse and Archangel in NM shape and in box #4 I hit his New Mutants stuff. Started at #53 and I'm flipping through and I get to #95 and I swear I got sweaty and my hands went numb and BAM, New Mutants #98. And it's loving flawless. Hell of a score for $100 and two hours out of my day.

I still never sold my Deadpool collection that I PM'd you for advice about. I guess I'll get around to it someday.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

Wernher Von Braun wasn't evil either, he was just really into making rockets. He's the reason we got to the moon, and he's also the reason London has a lot of cool building built after 1945
That was in response to

Edge & Christian posted:

I think he just showed up as an evil scientist dude with no real backstory prior to that?
rather than your weird fixation on a propulsion scientist.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Well, at least I wasn't the only one who thought he was German.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skwirl posted:

In the time period Otto Octavius was first introduced they were either Nazis or Jews who fled the Nazis. And don't loving :godwin: me about a character who once tried to kill off 90% of the planet just so the other 10% would remember him.

Just admit you're wrong Jesus Christ

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I still never sold my Deadpool collection that I PM'd you for advice about. I guess I'll get around to it someday.

Time to get on it bro. I'd put off buying a NM98 for so long that prices had sky rocketed so I'm glad I scored this. I now have an unbroken run of DP appearances from his first all the way to 2008. I don't even like DP, I just knew these would be money comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Look just because it's literally never once been mentioned that Otto Octavius is German in the comics and he first appeared in an era where everyone who is beingk ze German must MEIN GOTT IN HIMMEL talk like zis mein leibchen and in an era where there were straight up unreconstituted Nazis as villains in books being published concurrently, it's pretty clear that metatextually, read between the lines monron Doctor Octopus was meant to be a secret ex-Nazi scientist in the same way that Victor Von Doom and Tony Star(c)k and Robert Oppenheimer and Niels Bohr were also escaped Nazi scientists it's elementary, #factsdontmatter #actuallyreadingcomicsisforretards

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a really weird argument. Even ignoring E&C's presumably accurate statement that it's literally never been brought up, "Octavius" isn't a German surname by any stretch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Time to get on it bro. I'd put off buying a NM98 for so long that prices had sky rocketed so I'm glad I scored this. I now have an unbroken run of DP appearances from his first all the way to 2008. I don't even like DP, I just knew these would be money comics.

They're sitting in a box (like a real box, not a comic box) in my closet and I'm too lazy/disinterested in doing the whole ebay thing and shipping them off and I don't need the money so there's no motivating factor in getting rid of them until I need the space in the closet. So it might be Deadpool 3 by the time that happens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, Otto is one of the quintessential German names. Possibly only losing to Hans.

The thing is that was also one of the top 100 names in America due to German immigrants up until the first World War when it started to become a bad thing to be perceived as "culturally German", but more importantly it's alliterative and has a good ring with Octavius which was clearly the first name chosen given it incorporates the number eight.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Otto just got bit by radioactive octopus arms, and went a little crazy. He was like an older, fat Peter. Had the aptitude to build his own animal themed mechanical devices.

It's better for your psyche to get irradiated when you're younger.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

They're sitting in a box (like a real box, not a comic box) in my closet and I'm too lazy/disinterested in doing the whole ebay thing and shipping them off and I don't need the money so there's no motivating factor in getting rid of them until I need the space in the closet. So it might be Deadpool 3 by the time that happens.

I'll buy them for 50 cents and a Darth Vader action figure

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

LoL, my bad. It's the first appearance of Deadpool. Even poo poo conditioned copies sell for good money!
A friend of mine got me a NM #98 for my birthday about 10 years ago. It was probably a lot cheaper back then, it was still a "popular" issue just because it was Deadpool's first appearance. I don't really give a poo poo about Deadpool but had an almost complete run of New Mutants and that was one of the few issues I was missing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Octopus is a nazi now though so hey it all worked out in the end.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to brag again that I found my copy of NM98 for thirty-five cents.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Because I have a disease I drove an hour out of my way to go look at a comic collection after work tonight. 5 long boxes, nothing special but he said he had a lot of Deadpool issues and Deadpools are easy money right now. He had the two minis, the first 12 of the ongoing from 1997 and a bunch of X-force issues. Not really worth the trip to be honest. He wanted $200, I talked him down to $100 and then struggled to fit the 5 boxes in my Miata. Got home, got unloaded and dumped them in the garage and I'm sitting here alphabetizing them and I've found a complete run of X-Factor from 1-121 (so far), first Apocalypse and Archangel in NM shape and in box #4 I hit his New Mutants stuff. Started at #53 and I'm flipping through and I get to #95 and I swear I got sweaty and my hands went numb and BAM, New Mutants #98. And it's loving flawless. Hell of a score for $100 and two hours out of my day.

Incidentally, if you shove hard enough you can get two long boxes in the trunk of a 2006 Miata and three in the passenger seat.

Lmao drat. So in the end did you rip that guy off since you found all that stuff?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

pubic works project posted:

Lmao drat. So in the end did you rip that guy off since you found all that stuff?

50% of Rhyno' stories are about how he ripped someone off. The other 50% is how he hates his customers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't feel like he ripped him off. The guy just said he had a bunch of Deadpool, and Rhyno paid him accordingly for that. Not Rhyno's fault this guy couldn't do 2 seconds of research, and it's not like he knew New Mutants #98 was in there.

I guess to me ripped off implies he knew it was worth more than that, which would require him to know about NM#98 being in the box. Since to my knowledge Rhyno's neither a psychic or a liar, it sounds like dumb luck more than anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I feel like someone selling a lot like that should know what valuable issues he has in it or it's your own fault.

The guy had a price he wanted for it, it's different if like he was asking someone to take a look and make an offer.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh I'm not blaming Rhyno at all. I like Rhyno very much. I'm really stunned just that the guy wouldn't know what he was selling.

I guess my question is as a buyer, does Rhyno go through the entire box(es) or just listen to what the person is saying he/she has?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Pretty much if Rhyno put in all the time and effort to drive out there and sort out all the comics then I don't think he ripped the guy off. The guy should have known what he was selling instead of saying "here are a bunch of comics, give me money".

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just realised that Doc Ock has a sort of German-sounding accent in the Spider-Man '94 cartoon because it was supposed to tie in with the James Cameron movie which was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Ock.

Probably why he was so buff too.

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, Otto is one of the quintessential German names. Possibly only losing to Hans.

My dad had an ongoing flame war with a German man named Otto in the 90s, during the BBS era.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol at everyone making up excuses for predatory capitalism because Rhyno does it. Lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Predatory capitalism is good no matter who does it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Probably why he was so buff too.

I wonder if Cameron was going to put Arnie in the green and orange armour.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol at everyone making up excuses for predatory capitalism because Rhyno does it. Lol

I want you to give me money for my goods. Now that you have given me the money I requested for these goods I want you to know that you are a bad man for giving me money for my goods.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't see the nm98 until I got home. So yeah, I did rip the dude off I guess.
Also 90% of the collection is junk and I spent two hours and gas to get there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What are the odds that guy stole the comics? "Deadpool? That guy had a movie, these are probably worth something. New Mutants? Pfft, never heard of it. Probably trash."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who knows. But his house was nice and he had none of the usual I STOLE THIS STUFF ticks. We get plenty of people in the store trying to sell stolen poo poo, usually there's a few tells.

Like missing teeth.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

Who knows. But his house was nice and he had none of the usual I STOLE THIS STUFF ticks. We get plenty of people in the store trying to sell stolen poo poo, usually there's a few tells.

Like missing teeth.

You need to write a book.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only predatory part is getting the guy down to 50% of his asking but that heavily depends on what the approach was.

Comics aren't worth anything. Except when they're worth something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I did tell the guy that if he wanted $200 he could bring them into town and the store would buy them but he wanted cash. So maybe stolen, maybe not.

We once bought some comics that the seller had taken possession of because his tennents skipped on their rent so he claimed everything they left behind. Nothing spectacular but 3 months later the original owner came into the store raising hell over his "stolen" comics. The law was on our side but that guy was a pain for over a year.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Clearly what should have been done is Rhyno and the man would have made a written agreement to go through the comics together and Rhyno would pay the man 60% of the worth of the entire lot. A good sum for the man and a tidy profit for Rhyno.

But sure make excuses for capitalism. :golfclap:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

joehonkie posted:

You need to write a book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His only mistake was not running the guy over to get his money back.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

This is perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm dyin

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

First off, I would buy that book. Second, I totally picture Rhyno's face as exactly that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno looks like a skinny John Byrne with no glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Whoa some really loud thunder is coming from the south.

• Locked thread