Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

at the date posted:

Why are we running in circles when we could just post the definition of blackmail:

There are two requirements for blackmail: a threat, and a demand. There was no demand.

He was contacted by CNN and headed off any potential news story by public groveling. A national news outlet contacting you carries an implicit threat of exposure, sure, but the key point is that no one told this guy to apologize. Even if CNN did say "apologize or we out you as a white supremacist," which I agree would be a mild form of blackmail, I view it more or less the same as some guy socking Richard Spencer. There are no moral equivalencies to be drawn when it comes to Nazis.

e: I think this situation would be much more clear-cut if CNN had just gone ahead, exposed the guy and printed his apology in the same article. The only reason there's a whiff of blackmail is that they did the nice thing and withheld his name.

oh jeez it wasn't criminal so it must have been a-ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

At the very worst, the only bad thing CNN did was mention that they have the right to publish his info if he goes back to being racist. That was a stupid thing to print, but it's not blackmail, even if it kind of sounds like it is.

"Stop being racist" isn't an extraordinary demand.

No, but the actual demand is kind of irrelevant. "Don't vote a misogynistic racist Z-grade celebrity into the WH" isn't that extraordinary, either. It's a dangerous game to play, even if this one particular guy deserves all the poo poo he can get. I don't want CNN making that decision.

E: V Agreed. That one line is just kind of a dark cloud over the whole thing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think the middle ground is that CNN should've just worded it in the article like "CNN has chosen not the publish the person's information."

Still can be problematic, but removes a bit of that possible blackmail stink. A longer statement probably made it worse.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Look at it this way. They have a story now. He apologised and they didn't identify him.

If he starts again then they have a new story about him. One that includes identifying him. There's nothing stopping a newspaper identifying the subject of their story.

His choice isn't to change his beliefs or not, it's whether he wants to become a public figure with those beliefs or not. Does he have a right to anonymity?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Read the statement that CNN released where they said he had to act a certain way or they reserve the right to release his public information.

That's literally demanding something from someone if they don't do something, which is blackmail.

And holding journalists accountable even if they are a teensy bit unethical is what should be done across the board.

I read the statement. CNN had three options, all of which were ethical:

1. Don't run the story at all.
2. Run the story with all the information at their disposal, including the apology.
3. Run the story as they did—that is, addressing the content of the posts but without naming the guy.

There are drawbacks to all three options. If (1.), then the story is limited to Donald Trump being a clown, and the focus remains on his juvenile antics rather than the toxic underculture that made him president and continues to prop him up.

If (2.), then the public gets the whole story, and we more directly address America's problem with white supremacy by confronting a real live racist. But CNN risks garnering sympathy for a Nazi shithead because of the huge power disparity between a national news organization and a lone redditor.

If (3.), then we get all the major benefits of (2.) while avoiding a situation where a Nazi shithead sets up a GoFundMe and turns into a focus of popular sympathy. On the other hand, a number of people will be upset that CNN did not name the guy. It comes off as kind of a limpdicked half-story: "Yeah, there was a racist on the Internet, so what?" CNN therefore has to explain that the reason they're pulling a punch is that the subject of the story seems genuinely remorseful for being a Nazi shithead.

The choice between (2.) and (3.) is a judgment call, IMO, not an ethical question. (3.) is the kinder option, but CNN can't withhold the guy's name without explaining to their readers why they're doing so. You have to read their explanation uncharitably to interpret it as "strongarming a private citizen."

Larry Parrish posted:

oh jeez it wasn't criminal so it must have been a-ok.

You're out of your element, Larry.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

I read the statement. CNN had three options, all of which were ethical:

1. Don't run the story at all.
2. Run the story with all the information at their disposal, including the apology.
3. Run the story as they did—that is, addressing the content of the posts but without naming the guy.

There are drawbacks to all three options. If (1.), then the story is limited to Donald Trump being a clown, and the focus remains on his juvenile antics rather than the toxic underculture that made him president and continues to prop him up.

If (2.), then the public gets the whole story, and we more directly address America's problem with white supremacy by confronting a real live racist. But CNN risks garnering sympathy for a Nazi shithead because of the huge power disparity between a national news organization and a lone redditor.

If (3.), then we get all the major benefits of (2.) while avoiding a situation where a Nazi shithead sets up a GoFundMe and turns into a focus of popular sympathy. On the other hand, a number of people will be upset that CNN did not name the guy. It comes off as kind of a limpdicked half-story: "Yeah, there was a racist on the Internet, so what?" CNN therefore has to explain that the reason they're pulling a punch is that the subject of the story seems genuinely remorseful for being a Nazi shithead.

The choice between (2.) and (3.) is a judgment call, IMO, not an ethical question. (3.) is the kinder option, but CNN can't withhold the guy's name without explaining to their readers why they're doing so. You have to read their explanation uncharitably to interpret it as "strongarming a private citizen."

You're out of your element, Larry.

I don't think CNN deciding to not pursue a story about a Reddit shitposter would have been a bad decision.

If you want to do a story about the toxic culture that surrounds Trump fandom, there are way better and way more ethical ways to do it. But strongarming (or giving a very strong implication of such) a private citizen into acting a certain way that a corporation decides is unethical and shouldn't be tolerated.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 5, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On another note has there been any supporting evidence against this '15 year old kid' thing. I don't wanna start pointing it out to people that the 15 year old kid part is a 4chan meme and not true and have it turn out that it really just is a kid.

Note the irony that Its hard to find actual facts when everything is suppressed to protect the idiots identity.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

M_Gargantua posted:

On another note has there been any supporting evidence against this '15 year old kid' thing. I don't wanna start pointing it out to people that the 15 year old kid part is a 4chan meme and not true and have it turn out that it really just is a kid.

Note the irony that Its hard to find actual facts when everything is suppressed to protect the idiots identity.

I don't think they would publish (or threaten to publish) the name of a minor, that becomes a whole different ball game.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Shocking opinion: If you don't want to be outed as a racist, don't say racist things that might find their way back to you.

Kinda like you shouldn't start rumors about people at school or work that might expose you are a bigot/racist, because you'll get fired or expelled. You have a right to say those things, you don't have a right to shun the consequences of them, especially in a public setting like a message board.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the minor part probably is true, but it would be really funny

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/BunchOfSteve/status/881914727433211904

"if he didn't blackmail call out that guy he would not be threatened, called a jew, called a race traitor, etc"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Shocking opinion: If you don't want to be outed as a racist, don't say racist things that might find their way back to you.

Kinda like you shouldn't start rumors about people at school or work that might expose you are a bigot/racist, because you'll get fired or expelled. You have a right to say those things, you don't have a right to shun the consequences of them, especially in a public setting like a message board.

All irrelevant to the point.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like that guy since he puts all the blame on trump, some sort of lone wolf, not some other systemic issue.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
New CNN statement.

https://twitter.com/perlberg/status/882629134668713985

gently caress, it's weird when internet poo poo pisses all over real life / politics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CNN releases an official statement that they did not blackmail a 15 year old child who goes by HanAssholeSolo for posting a gif of President Donald Trump doing wrestling moves on a personification of CNN.

Welcome to 2017.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope somebody digs through a cached version of his posts and outs him anyway. You wanna play Nazi on the internet, you deserve to be a social pariah and possibly get assaulted in public.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyBPwCmfn0

Relevant to people posting dumb stuff on internet

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

All irrelevant to the point.

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status...1168%23lastpost

Don't worry, he's cool with outing people too.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Fister Roboto posted:

CNN releases an official statement that they did not blackmail a 15 year old child who goes by HanAssholeSolo for posting a gif of President Donald Trump doing wrestling moves on a personification of CNN.

Welcome to 2017.

I'm skipping the news today

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope somebody digs through a cached version of his posts and outs him anyway. You wanna play Nazi on the internet, you deserve to be a social pariah and possibly get assaulted in public.

Just as long as it's not some media company because holy poo poo the amount of hand-wringing over some "ironic" racist is hilarious

But yeah out the dude and make him a social pariah. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I thought to my self, maybe this is not a new thing, death threats to public people and all, and thought back to the 90s.

I guess if it was done back then it would be by fax or mail. I did go through google groups to search some old alt.news groups and I didn't really find any death threats mentioned online.

I am putting that mostly on the new age of the internet and the old age of the angry people though.

But shitposting has been around forever.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More importantly, which side will kiwifarms take in the coming meme wars??!!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Oh yeah these were all good decent Americans until darth trump gave order 66

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I reject the last three pages of discussion.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status...1168%23lastpost

Don't worry, he's cool with outing people too.

If someone like you or me outed him, I would consider it fair game.

I hold the media to a higher ethical standard than I do internet shitposters. Shocking, I know.

When a cop shoots someone unjustifiably and Fox News brings up a horrible criminal past, I don't sit there and go "don't worry, he's a criminal" and consider that justification for the cop to walk away scot free, even though that's typically what happens.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 5, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How is it unethical to out a racist as a racist?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

How is it unethical to out a racist as a racist?

Because saying "you have to behave a certain way online or we reserve the right to publish your personal information" is unethical.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

If someone like you or me outed him, I would consider it fair game.

I hold the media to a higher ethical standard than I do internet shitposters. Shocking, I know.

When a cop shoots someone unjustifiably and Fox News brings up a horrible criminal past, I don't sit there and go "don't worry, he's a criminal" and consider that justification for the cop to walk away scot free, even though that's typically what happens.

You do know what Muckracking is, right? And how Newspapers/News Groups regularly stand behind investigative journalists who do it?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

You do know what Muckracking is, right? And how Newspapers/News Groups regularly stand behind investigative journalists who do it?

What does that have to do with CNN telling a private citizen to behave a certain way or they reserve the right to publish his personal information?

Are you seriously okay with CNN telling people how to behave? I want an honest answer to this.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
gently caress you nerds.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825946

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

Phobophilia posted:

Yug posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm 100% OK with CNN telling people to not be racist, which is not even what they did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

What does that have to do with CNN telling a private citizen to behave a certain way or they reserve the right to publish his personal information?

Are you seriously okay with CNN telling people how to behave? I want an honest answer to this.

If the dude stands behind his racist rhetoric, what fears does he have at being exposed, other than praise from others on theDonald board and maybe some Right Wing Welfare? That he might be identified as a racist Nazi who documents the location and names of Jews?

If he doesn't stand behind his rhetoric, why was he saying it in the first place?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 5, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Can this loving slap fight be over yet Jesus

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

If the dude stands behind his racist rhetoric, what fears does he have at being exposed, other than praise from others on theDonald board and maybe some Right Wing Welfare?

If he doesn't stand behind his rhetoric, why was he saying it in the first place?

You're looking at it wrong. We are talking past each other.

Under no circumstance, whether racist, globalist, alien, male, female, hermaphrodite, 9 inch dick, millimeter peter, or any other adjective you can find to describe any private citizen, does CNN or any major news organization. have the right to tell any private citizen how to behave, lest they expose their private information, ESPECIALLY when no crimes were actually committed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Under no circumstance, whether racist, globalist, alien, male, female, hermaphrodite, 9 inch dick, millimeter peter, or any other adjective you can find to describe any private citizen, does CNN have the right to tell anyone how to behave.

They didn't tell him how to behave. He behaved, and they linked it to him. He could've told them to gently caress off, and they still probably wouldn't have released his information, like they didn't.

Instead, he apologized. Maybe because he realizes that being a racist Nazi doesn't look very good. If so, he's still the larger issue, not CNN.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

They didn't tell him how to behave. He behaved, and they linked it to him. He could've told them to gently caress off, and they still probably wouldn't have released his information, like they didn't.

Instead, he apologized. Maybe because he realizes that being a racist Nazi doesn't look very good. If so, he's still the larger issue, not CNN.

They issued a thinly veiled threat that if he doesn't behave in the future they reserved the right to release his personal info. That's a pretty big problem, and is horribly unethical journalism regardless of circumstance. Period.

It doesn't need to be rehashed that AssWhatever is a piece of poo poo. Because that's obvious. But obviously it needs to be said that CNN acted unethically as gently caress in this whole thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

They issued a thinly veiled threat that if he doesn't behave in the future they reserved the right to release his personal info. That's a pretty big problem, and is horribly unethical journalism regardless of circumstance. Period.

Again: The guy is a-okay with releasing everyone else's personal info in his war against the Jews. Maybe you need to determine why he has a right to out thousands of others who have done nothing in a antisemitic quest against the Jews, but to be outed himself is suddenly bad.

And CNN didn't out him. At all. You're repeating TheDonald's claims about CNN.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Again: The guy is a-okay with releasing everyone else's personal info in his war against the Jews. Maybe you need to determine why he has a right to out thousands of others who have done nothing in a antisemitic quest against the Jews, but to be outed himself is suddenly bad.

Again: I hold news organizations to a higher ethical standard than random racist internet poo poo posters, and you should too!

And believe it or not, it's possible to think the guy deserves to be outed and to disagree with CNN threatening to do it.

It's almost as if things are black and white. I'm focusing specifically on why CNN hosed up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Again: I hold news organizations to a higher ethical standard than random racist internet poo poo posters, and you should too!

Cool, let me know when they actually out somebody and your not just repeating whatever /r/TheDonald claims they tried to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TBeats posted:

The president is an internet poo poo poster.

Makes you think.

• Locked thread