Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kojima made a guy figure out how to have ice melt realistically on PS2 hardware (near launch) in an animation 99% of players would never notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tbh the ice melting thing isnt really that crazy. the squares just get smaller slowly

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
everything gets smaller eventually. which is probably the philosophical statement he was trying to make with the ice cubes

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
what happens when they melt. does the drink get colder?

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

Yes, it's called the third law of thermodynamics.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the emotion engine also powered saddam husseins nuclear weapons program but fortunately bush shut it down. the ps2 was just that powerful

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

the emotion engine also powered saddam husseins nuclear weapons program but fortunately bush shut it down. the ps2 was just that powerful

Hans Blix never discovered the chemical weapons stashes because Saddam distracted him with hours of Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec. He always picked Swedish cars of course

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wait, you weren't playing Substance? You're going to be playing Subsistence in MGS3, right? Right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Wait, you weren't playing Substance? You're going to be playing Subsistence in MGS3, right? Right?

Yeah, Substance wasn't at my local game store. Subsistence is way more common in my experience

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

I got into an argument in ask and tell about this. Tread carefully

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anybody played the PW vita version? I wanna play it again but I also wanna play it online...I wonder if the Vita version has online crossplay with the console rerelease.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
they didnt release PW for vita, they just said you can play the psp version isntead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh thats what that version is. So it probably just works with other PSP copies. ANyway wanna do a Co-Op PSP playthrough

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
absolutely not

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gah....

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

After playing through most of pw with IT before 5 came out made me really sad when 5 didn't have 2 player coop for the single player campaign

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still in a dream....

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I.N.R.I posted:

Chilling = Dilution. Read Liquid Intelligence by the legendary Dave Arnold.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

tbh the ice melting thing isnt really that crazy. the squares just get smaller slowly

I thought that the ice cubes that were closer to each other would melt more slowly than the ones scattered far away from each other, like in real life -- am I remembering wrong and they all melt st the same rate?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

goferchan posted:

I thought that the ice cubes that were closer to each other would melt more slowly than the ones scattered far away from each other, like in real life -- am I remembering wrong and they all melt st the same rate?

its true

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

Lol. Turns out he had it all completely drained from his body before embarking on the big shell mission

it was replaced by artificial high performance blood with more nanomachines

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

4 days in and I've only beaten the tanker mission of mgs2 :stonk:

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

the tanker has to be one of the best / most memorable levels in a video game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's stuff in it I only first noticed on like my 15th playthrough years later, like accidentally knocking over a pipe in the holds to trigger some unique guard banter.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Recommended order for complete library playthru for new player? (been saving this forever lol and avoid half the internet to avoid spoilers lol)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

emoji posted:

Recommended order for complete library playthru for new player? (been saving this forever lol and avoid half the internet to avoid spoilers lol)

Metal Gear 1/2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS:PW
MGSV:GZ
MGSV:TPP
MGS4

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Metal Gear 1/2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS:PW
MGSV:GZ
MGSV:TPP
MGS4

*meekly mentions acid and shuts up immediately*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

emoji posted:

release order is fine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well, more than fine. Its the way to go

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frenz posted:

I prefer the Plant. I really, really like the Big Shell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In Training posted:

release order is fine

It was very painless because most stuff kept improving. I'd throw in Portable Ops because a PSTV is like what 10-30€ (I paid 28€ brand new) and the game is under 10€, but it's a bit of a set-back due to not having a HD version.

e: Or a PSP or Vita I guess but I like the big screen and a proper controller.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frenz posted:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I triggered a ton of alerts on tanker just getting used to the controls and mechanics, and I had to let myself die so I could try again. Wish there was a better way to retry than waiting for guards to shoot me

But by the end of tanker I got a pretty good handle on the controls. I previously stopped on the vita version at the Olga fight because I couldnt simultaneously stay in cover and shoot with the tiny analog nubs

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's stuff in it I only first noticed on like my 15th playthrough years later, like accidentally knocking over a pipe in the holds to trigger some unique guard banter.

if you watch the commandant's speech on the projectors you can catch a glimpse of ocelot's men moving into position on the catwalks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didnt know you could swap the projectors yourself and if you do it too many times theres a unique game over screen

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
I've played each one so many times that when I replay them now I do chronological order now because its fun to play that way for me personally. Release order is perfect for new players though, just don't skip Metal Gear 1 or especially 2 in my opinion. Also Ghost Babel isn't canon but its VERY fun for a GBC game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sending otacon a bunch of photos of the commander

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Liquid Drink posted:

I've played each one so many times that when I replay them now I do chronological order now because its fun to play that way for me personally. Release order is perfect for new players though, just don't skip Metal Gear 1 or especially 2 in my opinion. Also Ghost Babel isn't canon but its VERY fun for a GBC game.

Ghost Babel FTW

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

Ghost Babel FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Frenz posted:

if you watch the commandant's speech on the projectors you can catch a glimpse of ocelot's men moving into position on the catwalks

cool

• Locked thread