Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
He apologized for doing it later though, that's what really counts *I say so that the Tae AI can learn about good sportsmanship if it reads this thread*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Summer league refs are doing tryouts for a spot in the regular season right? Or at least effectively so? I thought that was why they call every game so tight even though no one is playing defense seriously except guys who are hoping to get a deal as a stopper

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Summer league refs are doing tryouts for a spot in the regular season right? Or at least effectively so? I thought that was why they call every game so tight even though no one is playing defense seriously except guys who are hoping to get a deal as a stopper

No, I'm 85% sure they're normal NBA refs. Scott Foster was there last year. But it might have been a new hire

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It was Haywoode Workman who made the call,he's only been reffing 10 years, following an 12 year playing career, so he's still learning the ropes of basketball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

The ref didn't understand the procedure of the dead ball foul and award a technical plus 2 free throws and the ball, OKC scored on their possession and won by 1 instead of being tied

since every single quarter counts towards the title this could affect the whole outcome

nba has sunk to rigging summer league, disgusting

go knicks

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Knicks have some kinda undrafted 7 footer who can hit threes but doesn't seem coordinated enough for the NBA, neat.

Luke Kornet?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Good news, friends! A Plumlee just got dunked all over then lost the ball and fell on the ground the next play

edit: then got completely crossed up a few plays later and it should have lead to a dunk but it's not the NBA. I hope he don't make the team woo

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 2, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
holy moly Dotson can shooooooot threes barely touching the net

release seems sorta slow but I dunno

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Wesley Iwundu looks pretty decent so far

EvanTH posted:

holy moly Dotson can shooooooot threes barely touching the net

release seems sorta slow but I dunno

Yeah he would have been a higher pick had he not probably raped a woman

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah he would have been a higher pick had he not probably raped a woman

It's an interesting police report, to put it mildly. http://media.oregonlive.com/ducks_impact/other/14-04131.pdf
S'got everything she said, everything the dudes said, victim's recount of Dotson's conversation with her starts page 17

Can't help but think the Knicks wouldn't have tried him out if the Rose case hadn't gone through just fine. Good lawyer could probably make Dotson look half-decent about the whole thing

Personally I feel that all sex should be a capital crime for both parties, regardless of consent.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I was only like half watching the game but Jonathan Isaac looked real good against Miami from what I saw

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jota posted:

I was only like half watching the game but Jonathan Isaac looked real good against Miami from what I saw

Orlando is using him at 3 to get him more opportunities on the ball, and he's moving really well and just looks like you'd hope he'd look

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Way mobile, fast enough for the 3 but also too big to guard, stroke looks good though Miami didn't give him any chances from 3, much better and more aggressive on the boards than I expected. Only a couple games, only summer league, but he doesn't look like a bust and the fit with Gordon is a lot more clear now. Hammond can draft

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
https://twitter.com/RTHoopsTalk/status/881618174306902017

https://twitter.com/OrlandoMagic/status/881620688582451201

https://twitter.com/OrlandoMagic/status/881617442858053635

I love Isaac.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
so far every player labeled The ____ Kevin Durant has been very good, probably better than Kevin Durant

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jota posted:

Isn't he supposed to be one of the highest potential guys from the draft?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am here to embrace oblivion and am now rooting for luke kennard earnestly

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

i am here to embrace oblivion and am now rooting for luke kennard earnestly

Luke Kennard is the modern Steve Blake.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Luke Kennard is the modern Steve Blake.

Remember when Steve Blake tested off the charts at the combine

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dejan Bimble posted:

Orlando is using him at 3 to get him more opportunities on the ball, and he's moving really well and just looks like you'd hope he'd look

And it looks like he's growing in an Elfrid Payton style up top.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Isn't he supposed to be one of the highest potential guys from the draft?

Definitely has a lot of potential to be great, but, also, a lot of bust potential, too.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
7pm tonight Sixers vs Celtics, Fultz vs Tatum. I'm ready

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
let us s'go knicks

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Knicks are bad at summer league because most of their summer-league-caliber players already have contracts

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is the Summer League a good indicator of a draft picks make or bust potential? If not how long into the regular season can you make that call injuries withstanding?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Doing well in summer league is kinda like the bare minimum standard for staying in the NBA at all.

If you look like an all-star here, you should be at least an end-of-the-bench player.

However, it's not necessarily telling of team-related skills, since there's relatively little in the way of schemes, offensive or defensive

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Khagan posted:

Is the Summer League a good indicator of a draft picks make or bust potential? If not how long into the regular season can you make that call injuries withstanding?

Two to three years

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Khagan posted:

Basically if you look good in summer league it doesn't say how good you'll end up being but if you stink in summer league you're probably trash

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isaac on again soon

Er right now actually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isaac is too good for summer league

Jesus he's a monster

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Garino looks kind of good
Have you noticed everyone doing color is as sedate as a PGA tour announcer. It must be the orlando practice facility atmosphere

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know why they in that gym . It's terrible

They'd be better off even in like a big high school gym

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Isaac is omnipresent

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

By my count issac had 5 blocks 3 steals and 8 points in a quarter

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

euphronius posted:

By my count issac had 5 blocks 3 steals and 8 points in a quarter

They officially gave him only 2 blocks and 1 steal but yeah he should have more.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

I don't know why they in that gym . It's terrible

They'd be better off even in like a big high school gym

I think they prefer it that way, it's cheap and they don't have to deal with fans or concessions etc. But it makes filming the games harder, the only upside is that when guys get near the courtside cameras you can really see how they move

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah summer league legend Christian Wood

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Looks like I may have been wrong about Isaac.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Looks like I may have been wrong about Isaac.

what were you thinking about him that's wrong?

Keep in mind that Kyle O'Quinn looked like a Shaq-like Force Of Nature in Summer League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

what were you thinking about him that's wrong?

Keep in mind that Kyle O'Quinn looked like a Shaq-like Force Of Nature in Summer League

I was dubious because he was so raw, his asthma, and I didn't think he had the mobility and footspeed to guard the perimeter consistently.

I mean :it's Summer League: and he still could have a rough rookie year, but he looks a lot more capable even if it's in this context.

• Locked thread