Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I wonder how many more years we can go through the yearly ritual of Exum lighting up d-league scrubs in summer league and getting jazz fans excited before they learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EMC posted:

The fact he is still playing summer league in like year 3 or 4 whatever it is tells you all you need to know

He was hurt for one of them but yea

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

I distinctly remember Oden averaging like 8 a game. I can't remember if it was no foul outs or a limit of 10 back then but he definitely went double digits once

It was 10 and I'm almost positive I saw him foul out. He definitely had a half where he would have fouled out of a regular game

E: I say definitely but this was a long time ago and in the era before the lakers started getting high draft picks and filling the arena for summer league so beer was very cheap and it's entirely possible I am wrong

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hayward leaving is actually good because it means more playing time for Donovan Mitchell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah maybe the other guys who posted back then can back us up but I'm virtually sure that happened. He did turn out to be foul prone in real games but the summer league refs are ridiculous

He was definitely foul prone and I distinctly remember being very confused at one point when he wasn't fouled out because he was over the normal limit.

It's crazy how much summer league has grown since then. Durant vs Oden, which might be the most hyped top 2 of all time, and the tiny Cox Pavilion gym wasn't even close to full. Now they drat near sell out Thomas & Mack.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

The scouting report on Wilson from Michigan being "soft" seemed like light skin dog whistle

Only if you'd never seen him play

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Bucks Summer League team is really good I bet they win the whole thing

Phoenix has a poo poo load of second year guys including Ulis who already smoked summer league last year they seem like a good bet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lonzo is fun, y'all are haters

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Marshall isn't great but he's the sort of dude who kills it in summer league.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

wasn't he very very briefly the league leader in 3p% and a great point guard (because he has great court vision)

then he couldn't shoot ever again

He was really good with D'Antoni and then had one decentish year after that. But he's a smart player who has a lot of NBA experience, which gives him a big advantage over a bunch of rookies and career d-leaguers

Tim Duncan got owned by Greg Ostertag in summer league one year etc etc

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It's a really high level Summer League game. Looks like NBA bench units out there

Yeah I think they're both gonna be among the best teams there. They have a bunch of relatively high draft picks who played NBA minutes and are talented but also weren't good enough to avoid Summer League, which is how you compete for the always prestigious summer league title

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Last year's draft is gonna be producing Summer League Stars for years to come

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

E2M2 posted:

My favorite Summer League stars are Anthony Randolph, Anthony Morrow, and Marco Benlineli

I think I've told this story before but I wanted to put a bet on Marco Belineli for rookie of the year and had to be talked out of it. You will recall he was drafted the same year as Durant

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Summer league apparently sold out today holy poo poo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lakers correctly realized that Ingram doesn't need summer league and sent him home

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

Going to adopt an animal, so I can name something in my life Diamond Stone.

If that poor guy had been born like a decade or two earlier he'd be an all star

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Frankie Cigs is atleast a cool name

Frankie Smokes is much better imo

E2M2 posted:

Is Ball just gonna be mixed Rubio?

Ball will be better on open shots but way worse defensively

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oof.

Trade Ball to Denver where he can run people to death in altitude and then just spot up in the corner while Jokic runs the half court offense. He has at least one actual NBA skill so he's one up on Muiday

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I think the days of stories of Mitch Kupchak talking to fans about Dynasty Strategy or like Morey about bitcoins are done but I hear sometimes an old scout or two will still talk an ear off.

I talked to a guy scouting for a Euro team last time I was there, but yeah the really important people get roped off in their own section now. RIP the days when my friend could terrify Danny Ainge by drunkenly trying to start a conversation with him at the urinal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Donovan Mitchell is better than Hayward at basketball and also probably Starcraft

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Andre Miller ruled

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Brolander posted:

there are people who dont think andre miller is great?

My dude barely worked out and ate whatever the gently caress he wanted and still played at a high level against the best athletes in the world until he was like 40. If that ain't greatness you are defining that word wrong

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Spurs FO is officially Not Good for missing out on Jordan Bell

They got Summer League Legend Bryn Forbes!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lonzo is way less bad than y'all want him to be

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Did you watch this game?

I have watched most of his games yeah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

I'm enjoying rooting for the Vegas Summer League Mavs to win the league. This is what the post 2011 years have done to me. (Though one time around 2007 I went to a weird Mavs summer squad vs Team China game at SMU's gym. So maybe I just enjoy NBA related basketball too much)

Team China's 2007 Get Dunked On Tour was some great summer league material. Rudy Gay (way overqualified for a 2nd summer league and openly furious about having to be there) went on a one man mission to drive Yi from the league before he even got there and I have never been more proud to be an American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Ball is going to be fun and good I will not hear the haters

Yeah

Spacebump posted:

Lonzo will be fun but his defense is terrible and the Mavs might have 1 good defender on this team. I think he will be an exciting player but he looks worse than Nash on D.

Lots of good players kinda stink on defense, especially as rookies

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 17, 2017

• Locked thread