Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
It's also weird that Price would be painted as a bad clubhouse guy when he was standing up for his teammate. Seems like a lot of people are representing the story as Price being upset because Eck insulted him. It had nothing to do with Price; it was Eduardo Rodriguez's rehab start line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

R.D. Mangles posted:

what is the most infuriating baseball thing a team does: I think it's stranding guys on the bases but I also think it's having a shaky-rear end bullpen when you say oh no it's that rear end in a top hat and then watching them just destroy a lead, especially if one of those guys is your closer and (purely hyopthetical and not at all referring to my own experiences) has really dumb goggles or extra digits on his pitching hand.

those are definitely bad, I would also add GIDP especially if they do it all of the time like the Jays do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

Wasn't one of the reasons Steve Stone got pushed out of the Cubs' booth was because the players weren't happy with how he talked about them on the broadcast, like he wasn't nice enough when the team sucked?

Stone wasn't necessarily pushed, but Chip Caray certainly was, and Stone felt that the organization really treated Caray like poo poo so he decided to resign (he said he didn't want to break in a new partner again, and he was still suffering from recurring episodes of valley fever).

All that drama in the 2004 season did give us the magical incident where Kent Mercker called the broadcast booth from the bullpen to complain about the commentary, and when Stone was told who was on the line, he reportedly turned around and said, "Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

those are definitely bad, I would also add GIDP especially if they do it all of the time like the Jays do.

I hate swinging at the first pitch, which is something most of the Mets infield (Reyes, Cabrera, Flores) does repeatedly and it makes me so angry.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Eck is generally cool but you're being disingenuous in the other direction to assume a guy with a reputation for being a hothead and saying his opinions without any filter (which often makes him a compelling color guy) is unquestionably the blameless hero of the story here. And give me a break with the fee-fees poo poo please.

The problem is I've never actually heard Eckersley say anything all that offensive about anyone on the team, so it makes it kind of hard to give a poo poo when to the viewer at home he's just calling it how it is. Saying 'Jackie Bradley can't hit' back in 2014 wasn't being mean, it was just a fact. And I loving love Jackie Bradley.

Gobias Ind. posted:

It's also weird that Price would be painted as a bad clubhouse guy when he was standing up for his teammate. Seems like a lot of people are representing the story as Price being upset because Eck insulted him. It had nothing to do with Price; it was Eduardo Rodriguez's rehab start line.

This is a fair point but I guess I'm just not getting why what he said was so triggering for anyone, let alone Price. It all just seems overly sensitive for a pro athlete, especially directed at a fellow pro athlete. But yeah, by all accounts all his teammates love him so 'clubhouse cancer' is a dumb narrative to push.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The biggest thing with the Price story blowup is how all of the articles are treating it like it's the first time a player has ever had a bad relationship with a member of the Boston press. Eck is different from a beat reporter, but the column writers clutching their pearls and acting like "Who, us?!" is disingenuous at best.

Like, the Alex Reimer WEEI article on it opens with this line:

quote:

There’s a chance David Price will opt out of his contract at the end of next season. But his poisonous sensitivity could pollute the Red Sox for years after he's gone.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 25, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jose Altuve has surpassed Aaron Judge to take over the league lead in WAR :getin:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NiceGuy posted:

This is a fair point but I guess I'm just not getting why what he said was so triggering for anyone, let alone Price. It all just seems overly sensitive for a pro athlete, especially directed at a fellow pro athlete. But yeah, by all accounts all his teammates love him so 'clubhouse cancer' is a dumb narrative to push.

I think it was because Price had just come off of a hyper scrutinized rehab stint where he didn't pitch so well.

The Shank article certainly doesn't paint any member of the team in a good light, but it's a curious coincidence that the Globe ran it after one of Price's worst starts and not after his eight inning gem against the Yankees. 🤔

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

Jose Altuve has surpassed Aaron Judge to take over the league lead in WAR :getin:

FAKE NEWS!!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I don't know why I didn't cut off the last number, it's total bases

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 25, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

FAKE NEWS!!!

It's only because the Yankees had a day off! :mad:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

It's only because the Yankees had a day off! :mad:

Nope, he's in his decline. :rip: Judge.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Nope, he's in his decline. :rip: Judge.

They should probably trade him for Yu Darvish like, NOW.

In real trade rumors:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/889871725000654849

I know I should be excited to get Gray for a deal headlined by a kid with a 30% K-rate in A-ball, but I am high as hell on Florial...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Holy crap, Altuve is hitting .433 on the road.

I didn't realize how pitcher-friendly Minute Maid was. Imagine if he played for Colorado or Minnesota.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is the biggest height differential between 1st and 2nd WAR finishers in an MLB season? We may break that record this year

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

What is the biggest height differential between 1st and 2nd WAR finishers in an MLB season? We may break that record this year
Mike Trout is coming for that WAR lead, just wait and watch

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

bewbies posted:

This is a fun question and I assume it's anything involving Randy Johnson: he had nine inches on Bonds when they were 1-2, but 6'10" Johnson also finished second to 6'0" Greg Maddux.

E: Even if Altuve and Scherzer go 1-2 you'd have tied the second highest difference with 9 inches.

Accident Underwater fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

lol Trout has 3.8 WAR in 55 games that's fuckin' ridiculous

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

If we're including pitcher WAR then Chris Sale gets involved and he and Judge are very similar in height, even if Judge outweighs him by nearly 100 pounds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I believe

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Paul DeJong is the Cardinals rookie utility infielder this year. He has a 2% walk rate through 179 plate appearances with an OPS of .871.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently Cleveland's VP of Baseball Ops has said his main priorities are adding another starting pitcher and making the bench better

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Paul DeJong is the Cardinals rookie utility infielder this year. He has a 2% walk rate through 179 plate appearances with an OPS of .871.

I literally didn't think it was possible to have a worse walk rate than Javy Baez, but WOW

also gently caress that guy

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know why I didn't cut off the last number, it's total bases

If he can keep his BA above .500 for the next week, he'll become the first player with over 75 ABs to hit .500 for a month since Pudge did it in June of 2004.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

lol Trout has 3.8 WAR in 55 games that's fuckin' ridiculous
His wRC+ is over 200 currently

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I want to know if there's any correlation between home plate umpire accuracy at calling balls and strikes and the rate at which they eject players for arguing balls and strikes. My heart tells me that the worst umpires are probably the most touchy ones but I want to know if the numbers agree. I know the range in blown calls is about 13-17% from best umps to worst.

I tweeted Nate Silver but I guess he has better things to do with his time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The problem is that the umpires who make the worst ball/strike calls are more likely to have players dispute their calls and also more likely to have those disputes be a lot more obvious, which is when the "you show me up I'll throw you out" reasoning starts being used. You'd have to quantify the reaction somehow (head shaking, gesturing with the bat, arguing with the umpire, etc) which would be very difficult to do.,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

The Shank article certainly doesn't paint any member of the team in a good light, but it's a curious coincidence that the Globe ran it after one of Price's worst starts and not after his eight inning gem against the Yankees. 🤔

The Red Sox under Larry Lucchino basically had the Boston press marching to his beat, and it was an open secret that he would plant stories to tilt negotiations / leverage (and would plant hatchet jobs the instant the Red Sox decided they didn't like someone), and he had his arm so far up Dan Shaughnessy's rear end that Shaughnessy would shriek "COCKADOODLEDOO, THIS GUY SUCKS" on command.

Nowadays, the Boston press just seems desperate to get clicks because they aren't being fed anything. Same thing happened with the Cubs; when the Tribune Company and then Sam Zell owned them, stories were getting fed to Phil Rogers and Paul Sullivan on a daily basis. Once the Rickettses purchased the team, all of that leaking dried up immediately, which led to the beat writers basically spitballing their pieces, because all they were / are getting is whatever Epstein carefully gives them

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Poque posted:

I literally didn't think it was possible to have a worse walk rate than Javy Baez, but WOW

also gently caress that guy

Yuli Gurriel thinks Javy Baez shows way too much discipline.

He's on pace to have 15 walks in 547 At-Bats.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Dexter Fowler to the 10-day DL with a minor wrist strain. Harrison Bader has arrived, and is the 6th rookie for the Cardinals this season.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Yuli Gurriel thinks Javy Baez shows way too much discipline.

He's on pace to have 15 walks in 547 At-Bats.

Reminds me of my entire Astros team when I play MLB The Show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Reminds me of every single guy I've ever played with in any baseball game.

Yesterday I got 3 walks in the game and I considered it some kind of victory even though I was being 2-hit through 8 and lost it with the bases loaded in the ninth. But one of those guys drew a walk!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Reminds me of my entire Astros team when I play MLB The Show.

My player on RttS always hits like .550 and OBPs... whatever IBBs he gets

I remember one year where you would get rewarded or penalized based on goals the game gave you and it would tell me stuff like "Draw a walk" or "Sacrifice bunt" and I'd blast a dong and get penalized

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean it doesn't help that you have to jack the difficulty up considerably to even get the CPU to throw balls at a decent rate. You'll get a ball maybe ~10% of the time if you're lucky even on Veteran.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Dexter Fowler to the 10-day DL with a minor wrist strain. Harrison Bader has arrived, and is the 6th rookie for the Cardinals this season.

Harrison Bader swings at every baseball as if it personally insulted him. Which might be the case, if I remember correctly his father literally threw baseballs at him in the backyard to get him comfortable with being at the plate.

Sydin posted:

I mean it doesn't help that you have to jack the difficulty up considerably to even get the CPU to throw balls at a decent rate. You'll get a ball maybe ~10% of the time if you're lucky even on Veteran.

I'm eyeing that "Get walks with rookie Giambi" mission with dread.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Harrison Bader has arrived, and is the 6th rookie for the Cardinals this season.

Looking forward to his walkoff homer in the postseason

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

It's really weird how a game that's 95% amazing has such a problem with AI pitchers. They're all super-accurate even in the minors, and a stupid proportion of them throw the same ridiculously good slider.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

They should probably trade him for Yu Darvish like, NOW.

In real trade rumors:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/889871725000654849

I know I should be excited to get Gray for a deal headlined by a kid with a 30% K-rate in A-ball, but I am high as hell on Florial...

This makes me worried that Braves would give up Acuna for Gray.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Apparently Darvish is officially for sale. Would it be insane for the Astros to go after him? We clearly need another starter, you can't expect our schizophrenic bullpen to carry us through october.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Like, the Alex Reimer WEEI article on it opens with this line:

Yeah this kind of stuff is completely absurd, but on the other hand I've now heard David Price was talking poo poo about Eckersley's mane so load that fucker up onto the catapult

No dont, Sale/Price is still a filthy 1-2 punch that most teams would envy but I'm not going to be too upset if he opts out after 2018

• Locked thread