Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Speaking of the beefy lad, Schwarber is slashing .385/.500/.846 in Iowa. I hope spending a few weeks in AAA fixes him and he doesn't end up like Mike Olt, forever crushing AAA and forever sucking in the majors.

No, he's a bust. We'll take him off your hands for Avila. Now let's talk about 2016 Cy Young runner up Justin Verlander. I'll cut you a deal, just give us those scrubs Russell and Baez and we'll be on our way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Part of me takes note that the two most hated umps are minorities and makes me wonder if racial bias is at play. But another part of me remembers CB Bucknor blowing a call right down the middle cause he blinked since it was a steal.

But yeah I'd love to see what metrics are being used by MLB to evaluate umps.

i will never apologize for my umpire bias against cowboy-americans

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Part of me takes note that the two most hated umps are minorities and makes me wonder if racial bias is at play. But another part of me remembers CB Bucknor blowing a call right down the middle cause he blinked since it was a steal.

And yet in my heart Joe West will forever remain the most hated umpire.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

seiferguy posted:

I think people are genuinely worried about CB Bucknor's mental faculties.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Sydin posted:

Easily the most hated.

To clarify, I don't believe Hernandez is as lovely of a person as West. Which factors into things. But I do think he's worse at his job.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Sydin posted:

Was this you? I don't think they caught who did it
https://twitter.com/ClayWPLG/status/880960526389571584

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Gorman posted:

Easily the most hated.

To clarify, I don't believe Hernandez is as lovely of a person as West. Which factors into things. But I do think he's worse at his job.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

mmm that's the good stuff

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tom Gorman posted:

Easily the most hated.

This is true, in terms of balls and strikes nobody really sticks out to be as being terrible outside of Bucknor/Hernandez

Can a graph be a thread title?

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 4, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The best part was the fact that Steve "Mongo" McMichael being kicked out of the booth by Angel Hernandez was only the second craziest thing to happen that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htcE_vvZxg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

Can a graph be a thread title?

I can set the thread title to be the URL for the image if that's close enough!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Angel Hernandez had a Steve Harvey moment in an Astros/Mariners game a couple weeks ago. A Mariner runner was called out at home, but all the replays made him look safe. They go to review and Hernandez puts up the safe sign and the crowd cheered before the other umpire on headset grabbed him and whispered something in his ear. Hernandez then put up the out sign to end the inning while everyone stood around confused.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I'm torn on Angel Hernandez. On one hand, he's a lovely, terrible ump who can't handle criticism at all. On the other hand, he makes Hawk angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbvoNodswMU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

seiferguy posted:

IIRC they've given home plate umps a report after each game of their ball/strike accuracy since the 90s.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
A Royal is going to be in the home run derby. This is nuts! Please don't embarrass yourself Moose :ohdear:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The best part was the fact that Steve "Mongo" McMichael being kicked out of the booth by Angel Hernandez was only the second craziest thing to happen that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htcE_vvZxg

Steve McMichael's one of those individuals you have to Google every now and then to see if he's still alive.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Has Joe West worked the world series? He's a crew chief. On that basis alone I think Angel's lawsuit has merit because the worst white ump is on a better position than the worst Hispanic ump for no merit reason I can perceive.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Minor league BABIP should be treated with only the biggest grain of salt, since the quality of fields and fielders declines

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Also 80% of HRD participants hit less homers in the second half of the season than in the first.

This is either a really bad troll or you don't actually realize that the second half has 10-15 fewer games than the first half. Either way you should feel really bad and dumb.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

"Area Large Man Who Regularly Hits 500+ Foot Bombs In BP Loses Entire Ability To Hit Thanks To The Home Run Derby"

"Large man leading the league in BABIP despite prodigious swing and miss rates declines in the second half" seems plausible to me

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

IcePhoenix posted:

This is either a really bad troll or you don't actually realize that the second half has 10-15 fewer games than the first half. Either way you should feel really bad and dumb.

This, plus when you're specifically choosing the hottest power hitters you can expect some level of evening out in the second half. Or maybe it was the derby that made Brandon Inge bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

"Large man leading the league in BABIP despite prodigious swing and miss rates declines in the second half" seems plausible to me

YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wouldn't worry too much about Judge declining hard in the second half given that he's still walking a ton (leads the league in walks!!); plus, his discipline has been so good this year that it's hard to imagine him swinging at garbage on a consistent basis

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reading the Deadspin article on Angel Hernandez suing MLB for racial discrimination

This stuck out for me

"The suit begins with Hernandez detailing how, from 2002 to 2010, he received consistent feedback from the commissioner’s office saying he was an above-average umpire. The league grades umpires midway through every season and again at the end of the year. The commissioner’s office evaluates umpires on a variety of criteria and sends the individual reviews to the umpires in question. From 2002 to 2010, Hernandez claims in the lawsuit that the league regularly praised him for his performances on and off the field. He often received the “exceeds standards” grade on various aspects of his performance, the highest mark possible."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

Reading the Deadspin article on Angel Hernandez suing MLB for racial discrimination

This line stuck out for me

"The suit begins with Hernandez detailing how, from 2002 to 2010, he received consistent feedback from the commissioner’s office saying he was an above-average umpire."

:thunk::thunk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You beat my edit. Thought the whole paragraph was worth quoting after thinking about it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:same:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's almost as if Torre has been, I dunno, trying to do something about the strike zone in general during his time.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really want to know which umpire does poorly on their evaluations if Angel Hernandez is a good ump.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
With their 3-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners, the Kansas City Royals are tied for the second Wild Card spot. Just over a month ago they had the worst record in the American League. I love baseball.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Neowyrm posted:

With their 3-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners, the Kansas City Royals are tied for the second Wild Card spot. Just over a month ago they had the worst record in the American League. I love baseball.

This is very silly.

Also Mike Moustakas hit his career high 23rd homerun. The franchise record is 36.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also Joe West worked the World Series last year

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Also Joe West worked the World Series last year

And completely loving bungled it as usual. Cubs and Cleveland both benefited from absolutely horrendous calls.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Is it documented anywhere exactly what the grading process is for umps?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Another thing to consider: how could Angel Hernandez see race if he can't see balls and strikes?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Another thing to consider: how could Angel Hernandez see race if he can't see balls and strikes?

I am in love with this post

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Every time the bad ump chat comes up I always think of this SNL sketch:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-referee/2877573?snl=1

While not baseball-themed, the sentiment transcends sports. :shobon:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

I'd be very surprised if the Cubs traded for Verlander. He's old, he's expensive, and he's not particularly good this year. Theo has repeatedly said that if the Cubs trade for SP, they have to be at least somewhat young & affordable. Like it's one thing if the Cubs pull the trigger and trade away the beef for Gray - who I also don't think lives up to the hype but is at least a young/cheap #3 guy - but I'd be annoyed if it was for Verlander because he doesn't really solve any of the Cubs current problems.

stroman will be available soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And completely loving bungled it as usual. Cubs and Cleveland both benefited from absolutely horrendous calls.

If a ref/ump is at least consistent with calling both teams like poo poo, at least they aren't giving one side an advantage.

What I'm saying is damming with faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Walrus posted:

stroman will be available soon.

Sounds like a fair PTBNL for Montero.

• Locked thread