Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Brutal way to lose a game. It was the guy's first major league at bat too. https://twitter.com/rcarlson85/status/881335615337500673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

There's an absurd amount of great 3Bs in the NL right now. Rendon is putting up a .300/.400/.550 line and is 3rd in the league in WAR. Vote Rendon y'all.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Literally not as good as Justin Turner

I was going to make a smug argument about rate vs. counting stats but then I looked it up and Turner's been worth 3.8 fWAR which would ordinarily give him the NL lead, except he's been hurt and doesn't have enough PAs to qualify for the leaderboard. Which begs the question: why does Fangraphs have a min PA requirement for a counting stat?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

There's always a bunch of shuffling that goes on at the last minute as guys go on the DL / skip the game to rest so the chances are good that some of the more egregious snubs end up on the roster after all.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I am INSANELY PISSED about that game

It's nice to be on the other side of an infuriating bullpen meltdown for once.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

ihatepants posted:

I posted this on Reddit a few weeks ago but it's still relevant now. Saying Judge is overperforming right now only because his BABIP is really high is misleading because it doesn't take into account his launch angle and ability to hit the ball hard.

Aaron Judge will not sustain a .419 BABIP. Please do not try to convince yourself otherwise.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Intruder posted:

This whole discussion lead me to check something and... wtf? Barry Bonds career high BABIP was .330?! His career BABIP was .285?!

Home runs and walks aren't in play, I guess I'm not surprised that the home run + walk king wouldn't need a very high BABIP

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

It's Scherzer time baby

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The Cubs are going to the Super Bowl

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Not only does it use FIP, it correlates almost perfectly to it, if I recall correctly.

They're basically the same thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

FIP is a descriptive "factual" stat.

It is a measure of K, BB, and HR given up by the pitcher along with IP. It combines these facts in a manner meant to imitate ERA, for convenience.

FIP is not a measure of "what should have happened," it is a measure of certain things that did happen. Much the way ERA is a measure of only certain things that did happen (earned runs). ERA doesn't care about strikeouts or walks or dingers, just runs crossing the plate.

AVG and SLG are both descriptive stats which measure different though related things a hitter did. ERA and FIP are both descriptive stats which measure different though related things a pitcher did.

Stop thinking of FIP as something meant to replace ERA, and start thinking of it as something meant to compliment ERA.

Except that in this specific context (how fWAR is calculated) it has replaced ERA. ERA is not factored into fWAR in any capacity, and as a result pitchers who have success preventing runs by inducing weak contact rather than piling up strikeouts are described as being less valuable. So you can put up 210 innings with a 2.83 ERA (Tanner Roark 2016, 3.2 fWAR) and be considered less valuable than 204 innings with a 4.37 ERA (Marcus Stroman 2016, 3.6 fWAR) which is counterintuitive because the pitcher's job is to prevent runs. It would seem sensible that the pitcher who allowed fewer runs in more innings would be more valuable by definition.

The common argument against that line of thinking is that pitchers with low ERAs and high FIPs are likely to regress in the direction of their FIP. Contact management is extremely difficult to maintain long term and pitchers who outperform their FIP significantly are almost always benefiting from good defense or luck. The only thing that pitchers can truly control, the argument goes, is the number of batters they strike out, walk or give up homers to. Everything else is confounded by luck and/or defense, so we should give credit to the pitchers who do the best job at controlling what they can control (TTO metrics). But that results in the absurd scenario above where pitchers are rewarded for an abstraction rather than the actual result of the game. Ultimately the job is to prevent runs and a pitcher's WAR should reflect how well they did that, regardless of whether or not its sustainable. We don't ding batters WAR because they have a high BABIP or HR/FB%, we shouldn't do the equivalent for pitchers either.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The bold line is a step too far. Strikeouts, walks, and home runs are not abstractions. FIP is not rewarding abstractions. It is rewarding a different set of results than ERA.

It is fine to say you prefer bWAR to fWAR because you think ultimately ERA is a better description of a pitcher's performance. I certainly get the sentiment that ultimately the pitcher's job is to prevent runs from scoring. But in the same vein, is it not then the hitter's job to score runs? And if so, then why don't we consider runs scored as the only real measure of a hitter's value?

The answer of course, is that we recognize that scoring runs is not, generally, an individual achievement. So we credit hitters for the things they do independent of context. Sure, pitchers have more control over run scoring than an individual hitter does, but we also all understand it isn't 100% on the pitcher.

The point of all this is to say that fWAR vs bWAR is a matter of preference, not a contrast between "what should have happened" and "what did happen."

They are both measuring things that did happen, they just measure different things and it's fine if you care about one set of those things more than the other.

But it is an abstraction because it rewards that set of results by converting it into runs. The fundamental idea behind WAR is to quantify the number of runs that an individual produces and/or prevents relative to replacement level and then convert those into a number of wins. Basing pitcher WAR on FIP requires that one use FIP to calculate runs above replacement, which means that you're changing units from Ks, BBs & HRs to runs. That requires creating an abstraction of how many runs are typically allowed by players with that FIP profile since there's no direct way to convert TTO metrics into runs. It makes more sense to use a metric that is already measured in the same units (ERA) because you don't have to take the step of calculating how FIP converts to RAR. That's what I mean when I say fWAR is rewarding an abstraction.

And the comparison to batters doesn't hold up because batters do not control the at-bats subsequent to their own. If you hit a double, you cannot then drive yourself in by hitting another double because you're standing on second base. A pitcher influences every single at bat while they're pitching, and can very easily give up a double and then another double to allow a run to score and be responsible for (or at least involved in) both events. I do however think it's a fair point that we shouldn't totally discount context-independent stats for pitchers, but I think the appropriate way to do that is to look at something like total bases allowed per out recorded or wOBAA.

ego symphonic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 10, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Intruder posted:

You would be correct if bawfuls was saying fWAR should be taken on its own as the one true measure of a pitcher's skill. That however is not what he's been saying at all

Like most baseball stats, it's a useful metric that paints part of the picture but not the whole. That's all

e: Basically, FIP does exactly what it sets out to do which is measure a pitcher's results on three factors and then present them in a way that's familiar to our eye

Yeah, sorry, I know that's not what he's saying but I feel like that's what Fangraph's presentation of the stat implies. This is just me old-man-yells-at-clouding about Fangraphs. I agree with all the things Bawfuls and others have said about FIP itself. But I do think that WAR is intended to be a single stat that encapsulates all of the ways that a player contributes value to a team and that basing it on only a single dimension of performance (FIP or otherwise) will result it misleading conclusions about player value.

ego symphonic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 10, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Intruder posted:

If you're ever in Houston go here

http://maharajabhog.com/

(It's vegetarian though)

What if I just eat Torchys for every other meal instead?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I bet Poque is wetbutt23's source. Admit it!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

Wet Butt used to be an SA name I laughed at ages ago

Wett Butt was a great FYAD poster many moons ago

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Red Sox (finally) DFA Pablo Sandoval. What a lovely lovely signing.

$95 million for 2 years of -2.5 WAR. Yeowch. If there's any consolation, it's somehow still a better contract than the Ryan Howard deal at $138 million for 5 years of -2.3 WAR. And the Sox had the good sense to cut their losses rather than allow an inferior player to block someone useful for years and years.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Intruder posted:

I feel extremely confident non-guaranteed contracts will be a line in the sand

Agreed. With the NFL serving as a shining example of just how beshitted the non-guaranteed contract situation really is there is a 0% chance that any players' union in any sport with guaranteed contracts would ever accept a CBA proposal that got rid of them.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Joe Ross needs TJ surgery and will likely miss most of 2018 in addition to this season.

I think this means the Nats 5th starter becomes... Edwin Jackson? gently caress.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I like this a lot. Luzardo was highly regarded but has pitched fewer than 15 innings of professional baseball and I'm perfectly content to let somebody else try to figure out how to make Blake Treinen good. As long as Madson and Doolittle can avoid publicly choking Bryce Harper in the dugout this looks like an awesome return.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

So it looks like Andrew McCutchen is good again? That's nice to see.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

the most unfathomable age statistic is that Edwin Jackson is somehow still pitching and is also only 33

He pitched well, too! 7 innings and 2 earned runs. I'm sure he'll turn back into a pumpkin by his next start and go back to being terrible for the rest of the year, but I guess the Nats could do a lot worse for an emergency 5th starter than an innings eater on a pro-rated league minimum salary.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Nothing will ever serve as a stupider foundation for a rivalry than Braves / Nationals because Harper stepped on the A one time.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

xbilkis posted:

One of the worst sports watching experiences of my life was being at a Columbia bar with a Royals fan friend for Game 5 of the 2012 Cardinals-Nats NLDS

We got a brief moment to bask in the schadenfreude of what seemed like a certain loss...and then...

Please do not trigger me.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Timby posted:

In addition to Kershaw going down, Strasburg also left after two innings today with an undisclosed injury.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/889238458945998848?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Getting mixed signals on this. Dusty says it was precautionary and they don't foresee needing to do an MRI or anything, but Stras says it felt like general forearm achiness/tightness which we all know is the kiss of death. So this is either nothing at all or a total catastrophe. Hooray baseball.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

If we're including pitcher WAR then Chris Sale gets involved and he and Judge are very similar in height, even if Judge outweighs him by nearly 100 pounds.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Adrian Beltre is a national treasure.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Brett definitely had the higher peak with five different 7+ WAR seasons to Beltre's one, but Beltre is apparently immune to age and has played at a consistently excellent level for far longer than Brett did. Also, terrible timing by Beltre putting up a 10 win season in the national league in 2004. Would have been a no-doubt MVP choice in pretty much any other context.

ego symphonic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 27, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Turns out giving pitchers 7 year deals is bad???!!??!?

I'm worried that if I point out that the Max Scherzer contract is looking like a bargain at this point karma will re-align itself and his arm will fall off in the shower tomorrow.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

No he should go to MY favorite team!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

So here's something really cool from the HoF ceremony today:

Tim Raines taking a minute of his speech to talk about and thank Jonah Keri, who had been leading a big movement to get him into the Hall the last few years
https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/891770784166813696

This is wonderful. Talk about living the dream.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Would be nice if the Nats got another bullpen arm but I'm not going to flip out if they don't.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Checking in with Yu

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/892110323498536960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Where are the trades. Where are they

• Locked thread