Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The home run derby is stupid and the yankees shouldn't let Sanchez and Judge do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

this is a bad opinion

it's really just BP, I don't see the issue with letting them crank dingers out like they do before every home game anyway

There are enough cases of guys who fell off a cliff in the second half after participating that idk what the upside is for the team...

New Concept Hole posted:

Must be confusing the HRD with the All-Star Game

They are both stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Enough cases such as?

I remember it happening to Bobby Abreu, David Wright and Carlos Beltran... Also 80% of HRD participants hit less homers in the second half of the season than in the first.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jacoby Ellsbury is just bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

xbilkis posted:

How does Girardi keep letting Tyler Clippard pitch in meaningful situations

Because the entire bullpen has been dogshit. There is literally no one to go to. I'm not sure what people expect him to do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/885892228878610432

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

The second half is off to a rousing start for the Yankees.

TJS is current recommendation, he's seeing a second doctor.

This sucks... I really wanted them to trade him too. Chance Adams time!

Paul Zuvella posted:

To be honest, the fact that baseball players wear belts is easily the dumbest part of the sport.

gently caress!!!

I guess this means that we are going to be selling at the deadline, rather than buying.

Pindea was their only good option to sell...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Gardener and Matt Holiday, as well. TJS on a contract year is a rough deal, sucks for him.

They have been trying to trade Gardner for like 2 years which is weird since he's just as good (if not better) than Ellsbury for a fraction of the cost. Holliday I could see back next year so they might want to keep him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

That's why they have been trying to more Gardner, his contract is way more attractive.

I know and they still haven't been able to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Pretty much.

I could see them making a run at Gray even if they're on the downswing since he's not an FA until 2020, but maybe that would wait until the off-season.

He's controllable for 3 more years and he's good. Gonna have to back up the truck to get him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tadashi posted:

The Dodgers and Yankees are the only team in baseball that's allowed to have good things happen to them just like we all hoped.

You must have not watched the Yankees for the last 5 weeks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Yankees turned back into a pumpkin.

Except Aaron Judge, he's so dreamy!

He's like 2 for his last 30...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

That seems like a dumb way to cherry pick stats. Also this is baseball so 30 at bats is just about as meaningless a sample as possible.

He's 4/29 actually, with 5 walks.

I know. Just adding to the point that the Yankees have been miserable lately.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I think they've looked markedly better since the break (all four games, and even then they only have 2-2 to show for it) but man, that first couple months was so good please do it again Yanks.

Having Warren back in the pen and Joe actually using Green like a reliever instead of a starter helps a lot. Ben Heller better be back up in 10 days and pitching with some regularity, it's ridiculous that he was buried there as the 8th arm.

It was still a disappointing series that they should've won.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

N: https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/886999238302937088

V: :shepface:

For real though I have no idea how the Cubs would land him considering the Dodgers are also reportedly interested and have an absurdly more well-stocked farm.

Cashman should see if they want Chapman back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the Yankees should not be trading prospects for a run at it this year? It's unlikely they catch the Red Sox and they could be using these prospects to fill holes in the rotation next year when they have a better shot at competing.

The reason this trade works is that it's going to make a big impact on next year too. I personally don't think catching boston is a pipe dream as boston just isn't very good but even if they don't, this trade makes sense going forward anyway. They basically fixed their bullpen through 2018.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Vernacular posted:

Is there any buzz about the Yankees also acquiring starting pitching? Cuz this is a moot trade if they don't.

edit: Well, maybe "moot" is a strong word...those are some quality arms for sure, but the likelihood of Tanaka and Severino marching the team through October is quite low.

They need 1 starter... (And some luck, health wise) But that might end up being Chance Adams.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Yankees are 0-8-2 in their last ten series, there is no hope in the world

This run has been really really ugly. I've seen last place teams not play this badly for this long. And they have most of the team back from injury too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

A really good postseason scenario would be the Yankees eeking out the 2nd Wild Card, upsetting the Astros in the first round, and being swept by the Dodgers in the World Series.

I'd sign up for that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL Cashman just said Fraizer is getting sent down when Hicks come back. MERITOCRACY FTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Most Mariner fans hate the Yankees for 2001. If you were to poll them now, it would probably be something along the lines of Yankees / Blue Jays / Angels / Astros.

2007/2008 Mariners say hello. Team goes all in and still manages to lose 101 games!

2001 was just getting even for 1995.

• Locked thread