Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's a common complaint about how English is a bullshit language that has no good gender-neutral pronouns for talking about people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, why would we treat Thirteen any different than we did Missy? I can't find a single instance of our referring to Missy as "they", nor did the reviews (here or elsewhere) seem particularly hurt by the fact that there were so many Masters before we got to the Mistress. Hell, "Doctor" is a gender neutral title, even. We're already in the habit of referring to the incarnations of the Doctor as distinct entities, especially in the multi-Doctor events, so if you want to refer to Four or Ten you say "he", if you refer to Thirteen you say "she", just as Missy is "she" while the Delgado or Simms Masters are "he".

Seems simple enough to me. :shrug:

LTW is concerned because he likes to make big sweeping Statements about the mythos of the show, talking less about the individual Doctors and more about The Doctor as a concept or entitiy, which means that once that entity's gender becomes non-fixed, it's harder to use the gendered pronouns in such statements.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I have so many games to play :cripes:

Still I just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order which was fun - it's always extremely cathartic to kill Nazis.

I felt very dumb when I realised why the sequel is called The New Colossus.

It's the name of the poem BJ recites at the end of The New Order, about the Statue Of Liberty, and the new game is set in Nazi America

• Locked thread