Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She does gently caress-all in Mummy and her role in Hell Bent literally starts with the Doctor saving her from death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, OK, but it ends with her jetting off in a stolen TARDIS to be immortal and have adventures with her immortal best buddy entirely thanks to the Doctor, so forgive me if it seems a little noncommittal.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No he isn't, and what does this have to do with Oxx's reviews of this season of Doctor Who?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are you posting here in the interests of balance, then?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Surprised neither of you mentioned the exchange near the start.

"Slavery is still a thing."
"... Yes, yes it is."

Capaldi just perfectly sells that sadness and above all, disappointment with humanity. That stuck with me just as much as punching a racist in the face.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah you know what, I totally disagree with LTW's contention that making this a soft reboot is pointless. Aside from the obvious fact that every season is somebody's first season, and only the current season is going to be on iPlayer, the last couple of seasons have been shedding viewers like crazy. If, say, someone who kept watching was to convince someone who'd dropped it to give The Pilot a watch, it would be immediately obvious what was going on, and that they wouldn't have to go back and watch the last two seasons which they presumably already know they'd hate. The only returning element is Nardole, who was only in the Christmas specials.

And I kind of think it's a tacit admission that the way Twelve was initially characterised was a mistake. By having your ideal introduction to him be as a gruff yet kind and deeply compassionate teacher figure, you put all that nonsense about him having somehow... Forgotten what empathy is? In a box where nobody ever has to look at it. Again, if you wanted to catch up with Nardole, you'd just have to watch the Christmas specials, and while one of those is very good and one is very very bad, Twelve's personality in them had settled down to be consistent with this season.

And I'm trying not to say Clara but more and more when I go back and look at it she seems like a weight dragging the quality of the show down. The first season with a Clara fragment was where the rot started to set in for Eleven, even the good episodes with her and Twelve (all two of them) are a bit weak, and as soon as she left the show suddenly felt like it could breathe. Heaven Sent is an amazing piece of television but the bit where he imagines Clara speaking to him is poo poo. The Husband's Of River Song is great. Superman D isn't but it's bad in a totally different way to how the last two seasons were bad. Not a knock on Jenna Coleman, just the character. I don't think she'll be remembered fondly a decade or so down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're wrong I win

• Locked thread