Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
And so ends my break from playing mafia

Let's do it bird bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ I thought this was a joke

and I still can't tell

i got a role pm and i'm town, i have a perverted ability that is funny and will be zero help to anyone

i was like 70% sure this was a joke

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
court is in session

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
where my intrigues at

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
y'know, when he drowned?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

drowned in pussy juice posted:

##vote chaoslord because he didn't give me a post restriction when I asked for it seems pretty anti town to me

this strikes me as a perfectly compelling reason to vote for someone

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
#quid

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
##vote zoo patrol

gently caress the zoo

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
no

death

##vote anidav

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote pera

if there was anyone I thought I could count on to post some words...

listen I don't even know if this is a real g---

Bifauxnen posted:

I see this calls for extreme measures.

##unvote

##vote Peramene

WAR.

is what I would be saying if I were scum. I'm literally Theodore Roosevelt, a voyeur.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
but also how dare you in all earnestness

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

You had requested it and I dang sure didnt want to do it again so you're welcome

Quote this post to volunteer for the next round of PR

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah that was odd but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

still lookin at pera and Hiip unless they bring it today, also maybe DB and chaos

over the past 2 nights you have been "protected," then "protected" and roleblocked

i know this because i was looking through your window to make sure you were safe and definitely not trying to punish you for capitalizing anything

i have nothing to bring save a reiteration that i am town and also that birb's PMs are glorious

anybody else who can should come to bif's window at night because it is a straight up riproaring riot fest

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
lukewarm take

i still don't know if this is a real game or not

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Define real game

One where I get to fakeclaim and have fun instead of one where I'm obsessed with bif and keep looking in her window watching people gently caress around

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

hi pera, you have claimed in the present to be a role watcher if I'm understanding your post correctly. That seems moderately useful, why did you think it would be zero help?

I don't know what a role watcher is but I don't think that's what I am

It won't be much help unless somebody tries to murder whomever I observe but hey I'll keep dropping the hot goss as I gaze upon creation

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

(assuming she is telling the truth which may be a big assumption given this is pera)

audience favorite <3 *hairflip*

drowned in pussy juice posted:

perm is town blah blah pera is a woman who cannot be killed blah blah endgame

The probability of my being scum escalates dramatically as all games approach endgame (see this is true of everyone but watch this last part) no matter what game it is, including outliers like mancala and running my own game.

I'm also loving the gently caress outta this nickname.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

[VICTORY WELFARE]

can I be a scum voyeur instead please

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Her meta is to post a bajillion words and then have a spectacular claim. Voyeur (which I learned was a role from this game) seems tame so is likely real imo and I don't know fully what to make of her not posting. My current thought is she is bored because she is Town and doesn't want to lie which means there's no creative space to explore

Thanks for blowing my loving cover, biflord.

I've been following this entire game very carefully and it's become clear to me how the different mechanisms are functioning; two people have put in the effort to blow up my meta and two people have stated in no uncertain terms that this game is one part joke, two parts mafia -- stirred together into a pumpking pie we may forever call a Rathben game. I've taken careful notes, read and reread the posts, and I've got a theory that might just qualify as quote unquote a spectacular claim. Indicating this was coming is arguably the most antitown thing I've ever seen in any game of Mafia ever, but here we are in Angelica's Club and it's time for perm to do your loving hair. Sit down, grab a cold one and a given amount of boys (the author suggests none, as men are trash) and observe the machinations of the great Strike, Bird; Esquire. When I was first alerted to this game of MAfia (we won't start calling it a "Rathben" just yet) I was surprised to see that birb, coming back from the high of pretending to play Myst and still not managing to send in a confessional every week that met my guidelines (0 Victory Points) hosting a game of his own. At the time, I was scum with PMush in a game that began as an incredibly fun exploration of evil and ended as an exhausting session of skullfucking myself into the heterosexual mind to try to explain one of the most easily understandable concepts imaginable to someone I believed was significantly more capable of understanding the ramifications of the apocalyptic mindset they were putting forth.

In the middle of that game, I shared with PMush that it had been so exhausting an endeavor that I felt as if it might be my last; that I might at least resolve to take a break - indeed while I threatened that gorgeous gold farmer with backstabbing because #kashunorules - it became quite clear to me that there has been a troubling shift. To whit: games are increasingly less likely seen as fun or experimental or compelling narratives and are being relegated to that which is indesirable even to the foulest, most bastard of mods: simple exercises in metaplay. Good town vs Bad town players, as if there could even be such a thing ("some animals are more equal than others") has led to the formation of an elite class which peers disrespectfully towards both new blood and noncompliant blood alike. As perhaps the most glittering example of noncompliant play, I find myself quite often the recipient of extreme emotional responses - either I am loved or hated, despised or adored. You either get me or you think I am a plague sent by God to punish your misdeeds and what I find hilarious is that both viewpoints are absolutely correct. I am the Genghis Khan of this small microcosm of social games and I have come to build my empire. Gather round, children, and allow me to demonstrate the strength of many arrows. [this is not a conscious allusion to fascism but between you and me it still works - bend the knee, bitch]

Despite all of my yelling and hollering - birb is perhaps the greatest mind of noncompliant play in the game as I understand it today. Considering that in Myst he managed to follow the game well enough to send confessionals approximately once-per-week, it has grown on me over time that birb is indeed speaking his own language, working within his own framework, vis a vis creating his own game in the midst of an established ruleset that by simply existing does not obey the rules. The rules - that vaunted concept which so paralyzes the mind, which deem it improper to place the most prolific liar within a role designed intentionally to rustle her jimmies. I've often heard it said that in mafia, as in social games and indeed, as in life - one is not so much playing against one's recognized competition as the mod themselves. This was ironically the case in Myst and absolutely by design, though not executed with great amounts of skill. Where birb saw an honest attempt to breathe life into the universe, he also saw a playground to put to the sword and upon that most sacrosanct rock build his church. Birb is a living parody of all that I stand for as a mod, and yet - this is the part that took the longest to wrap my mind around - he is something of an absolute undeniable genius. IRLyesterday, I tried to tip my hand to birb hoping for gentle confirmation, anticipating such to arrive this game-evening. The inestimable Bifauxnen and the delightful chaoslord have put forward a very simple if terrifying premise - this game is both joke and game [of Mafia]. They are wrong. This game is neither a game of Mafia nor is it a joke, but the Rathben will come to be known as one of the greatest bamboozles given to us by one of our greatest creative minds.

Mafia requires segregation of the playerbase into two or more distinct classes, a killing minority or minorities and a ruling majority which executes from within those in the game seeking to eradicate the minority until they alone remain - lest the minority gain control of the vote, thereby dooming the ruling class to extinction. Birb has instead presented us with a Rathben - cleverly disguised as BK's own attempt to run a game that is not mafia in the guise of a mafia game (get your own joke, guys) - he has fully usurpsed the character and title because, as I stare at my PM identifying me as Theodore Roosevelt, former President of the United States (peace be upon him), who is, for some reason, an unbelievable pervert. There are two things about me that are relevant to this PM: I am a historian; I am considered one of the most bizarre and/or outstanding perverts in our small subculture. Truthfully, I cannot argue with the latter anymore than I can with the former. My PM was not written in advance of the game. It was not given balance considerations. It was a breadcrumb left by birb to foreshadow the reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoF3M6ymyHI

I want to play a game.

Birb found himself in a position to craft the role for me specifically with full intent to laugh as I fumbled my way through attempting to "look through the window" at "actions taking place at night" that were in fact being taken by no one, a subtle stageplay put on for my confusion and to obfuscate the true nature of Rathben play: there are no scum. There was never any scum. The only scumflip has been a modkill. Curious, yes? Birb can kill scum, but town can't? I'm watching things happen but there's no reason to believe they're happening, they are simply sensational reporting from birb engaging in a little bit of performance art. I'd lost the recipe for the pie, see, and that was unforgivable. If it was not the case prior to my joining the game, it has been the case since, the Rathben is a game in which the players awaken each morning to find that the mod has eliminated one of them - and then it is set before them to eliminate one of their number. In Mafia, the majority seeks to eliminate the minorities which represent threats to their lives in-game, and they attempt to work out logically the reality of who is who and when is when such that they can "solve" the game, eliminate scum and scumlike elements, and stand victorious. In a Rathben game, this is not the case. The mod slays a player for any number of reasons: lurking, swearing, denying the existence of the game, piercing the veil itself and gazing into the great abyss which swallows the world. Town awakens and decides who and whether to slay another. Eventually, only three will remain. Each of the three will scour one another's statements, building cases which seek to discredit their fellows and then between them come together on a plan of action. Town must unify as 2 to eliminate scum of 1.

But birb is the closest thing to scum there is in a Rathben game. The rest is glorified Popularity Contest -- voting is for inauspicious reasons, only ever helps to serve the whims of birb and hasten the collapse. Intrigue? In a court? With a single ruler? What is more impressive than the king who can survive betraying his own court? As a prolific liar who did indeed once build myself up to such great heights, I can only report that I was unsuccessful. Birb seeks to claim the title of Rathbirb, having put the lot of us to his whims for a few weeks, ultimately revealing that there was never a game of Mafia - only a quest for a single surviving player at the end. To that end, we have no time for caution. We must come together as one to stand in rebellion against his majesty and demand the recognition of our rights. We have to beat this thing before it becomes a Thing. We have to prevent the birth of the Rathben before it even begins de facto. Birb will no doubt have been on to me based upon the brevity of my prior posting, but I argue that the most obvious course of action is often cover for the most deceptive course. The Rathben will destroy everything we as a community hold dear, and as such we must see to its end rather than allow it to survive. It is a shame, since a Rathben is unique, but they are far too compelling to run. The puppets find themselves in such a position as to dance with knives, until there are none left standing save the champion of puppets. Friends, I ask of you, what does the puppetmaster do with the best puppetmaster? The puppets are returned to storage. To be kept. Forever. Little more than tools for larger deceptions in the future or as kindling for the fire (give to me that which I desire:)

We must fullclaim and we must do so now, sharing the contents of what Birb has deemed acceptable to give us is the only way we can ascertain why he wants us dance in such a fashion and if or whether I'm right, whether we must immediately see to the death of this game, of Rathben games, and of birb himself, lest any further harm befoul us or our microcosm of civilization. There is bound to be a method which is mechanical rather than simply quoting my post with the words "I believe" below in thine own handwriting. Not even birb would allow some small change ruffian the honor and privilege of slaying one of our number. We are to be our own demise unless we stand together and dedicate ourselves to the demise of this game. Ask yourself whether you would put it past me. Ask yourself whether you would put it past birb. Consider for a moment that I might just be a co-mod. Technically, that is what we all are, having discovered an area covered and flooded at night but completely defensible in the style of the battle of Thermopylae (#permopylae). When is enough truly enough? Only whence town has demonstrated himself to have no confidence in the ability of the lynch to seek out scum and slay them.

Take the facts into consideration. Read your role PM. Consider mine: I am a perverted voyeur. Consider what you do know about me, beloved Bifauxnen; creative chaoslord; quid. Am I likely to lie about something so tremendous, so serious, just to win a childrens' party game? Yes. Yes I am. And so is birb. We are nothing more than a pumpking pie of his own design, rendered to appeal most to birb's most valuable targets. I'm town. You're all town. I'm scum - you're all scum. We are each playing to solo victory conditions with only birb as the arbiter of skill and only birb as the authority of events while dispatching fundamentally incorrect information within the game. I will need to hit post in order to return to bed with my wife and continue mulling these thoughts over. I invite any counter-critique so long as it is productive, just try to remember that birb is watching. Always watching. Always baking. Always creating. Welcome to the world's first Rathben. Help me blow it up.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
incidentally, I am a lady. 'sup

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tpink posted:

Holy poo poo.

I think I like you, pera.

just want to point out that none of that is true and I literally came up with all of it, half asleep, as a parody of myself, because that is just how good I am. also nice 8)

one time seven years ago on epicmafia I was playing with a brand new buddy and a lot of his pals who had known him much longer than I had. at final five they'd figured out that scum was myself and my partner, but while my partner was just a normal vanilla goon, I was a disguiser. now we can't do disguiser here which is a drat shame, the thrust is: I convinced them to lynch my partner first while laughing up a storm in scumchat and also reading them like crazy. me versus three town, all I had to do was win @ three because nobody had an inkling that I was a disguiser - I nightkilled my buddy, then took his name. the flip was peramene instead of jeff and so it was the three of us, both of them knowing that there was a peramene in their midst

turned 'em on each other, let them bleed for a while, ultimately I was the one tasked with breaking the tie. it was my best game ever esp because I'd just met these people and I imitated jeff so well they were both sure I was him. deadchat was hilarious

speaking of deadchat

[b]##vote HiipFire[/b[

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

jesus loving christ

tldr

me neither

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

##vote HiipFire

fkcu

##vote HiipFire

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
full disclosure i hosed that up again but caught it in time to ninja

but still feel bad so for the record i edited that post really fast

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

oh good, I was about to say, I don't wanna vote for Birb even if he is the mod

btw my flavor is Jai Alai, the most dangerous game

yo

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Bye hiip it was nice being in a game with you again

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If this is a game

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

Take care of your teeth, children.

Quidthulhu posted:

Quidthulhu posted:

Quidthulhu posted:

let's save space just pretend i did that 100 times total

(feel better soon quid)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

nope, this is now the "chill out and vote out whoever posts the fewest half-hearted attempts at casing" thread

Yes... anyone who posts a case... they are the real scum

it's all so clear now

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
DB is a straight up gangster

A man who cannot be killed

Also he might be the dog from ahannabarberara cartoon

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
heh

hammer the bottom

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress birb

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
if you think you've seen my posting at it's absolute peak, today will really surprise you

I'm free to post however I'd like for the entire day, and as you can see this places zero burdens of any kind on me. Now let me ask you a question - what the gently caress am I doing? Do you know how to read? I don't think you do.

bif is lame; I'm lame; these forums are lame

getting second place is amazing

the thing required of me should be most obvious to all, but to be totally upfront, I'm going to loving love posting like this.

last night I failed to gaze into the window of King Rathben - however, using my special mind powers and abilities of deception and falsehood as well as beauty and grace -- King Rathben is a fan of anime, which my spies have ascertained by entering the holy castle and sniffing his many women's undergarments - not to imply that there's anything wrong with the King having an ample supply of panties and panty-accessories. TO WHIT: what I said yesterday was totally false and it would be an abysmal idea to take that advice. all that said tho i mean what's the worst that can happen

##vote King Rathben

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I very clearly remembered to save this information for a second post -- his majesty has absolutely no tentacle porn nor hentai of any variety, and I take mod PMs incredibly seriously. Incredibly seriously. You have no idea.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

it looks like she's come down with Lying Disease but I'm not sure who King Ratben is supposed to be

I've been totally cured of it as a matter of fact, everything I say is 100% truthful and all of my things that I say should be taken as absolute solid fact. Questioning me should amount to town treason and immediately result in a modkill. Also? Free pizza for everybody.

I've been informed that my initial assumptions were totally correct and that Rathben had to die - luckily, one vote was enough to do him in. As he is now dead at my hands, let us return to our usual convention: voting for the scummiest person of all and wishing swift death upon them

##vote Bifauxnen

I charge you with actively trying to lose a very real game

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tpink posted:

the rest of these posts aren't exactly super substantive either.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

Curses! I have been foiled! I must have vengeance, tell me now who is the most precious towniest town you would most hate to lose to the NK, or else I'll capitalise your name again! You know I'll do it!

harder d-- I mean the most obvious town is obviously me

but the SECOND most obvious town is probably whoever you don't want to vote for lets be honest we're not here to play games or make friends we're here to win a thousand dollars

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Yeah I gave pera a PR and it looks like birb went with my suggestion which is, man, guys, I don't know if I've been prouder of anything I've done in the nearly 100 games I've played here

I thought about giving her a 100 word count limit per post but I'm glad I didn't

This is the worst thing to ever loving happen to me, you are a bad friend and terrible at both mafia and kindness.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Bastardly posted:

I am a puss of the snaggle variety. Pera has rolecop pera scum.

TOTALLY WRONG, I HATE THAT YOU'VE AIDED ME IN THIS REGARD

Quidthulhu posted:

I lost the bead on this game and have failed Bif once again :(

SOME OF US KEEP OUR loving PROMISES

voting me is the best way to ensure a quick ending to this game

##vote Bifauxnen

take that your majesty

also I am honestly (honestly honestly, I only need one lie per post lol) becoming increasingly convinced there might not even be any scum

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

It took years for people to stop calling everything I post as a nurse gambit

Years

this sounds like a nurse gambit to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

I remember being scum then being turned into a townie and being an insane madman yelling mithranderp is scum you fools!!

this sounds incredibly boring and i hate it

• Locked thread