Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mousasi leaving isn't a huge surprise. WME is trying to keep costs down wherever possible and Mousasi, while technically good, couldn't sell water in the desert, so in terms of cost-benefit, there's probably not a really good reason to shell out high money to keep him.

Sure but they keep letting extremely solid guys go which if it keeps up is just going to keep weakening divisions. Rory and Mousasi might not be PR gods but they're both really high in their divisions, Horiguchi too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mousasi leaving isn't a huge surprise. WME is trying to keep costs down wherever possible and Mousasi, while technically good, couldn't sell water in the desert, so in terms of cost-benefit, there's probably not a really good reason to shell out high money to keep him.

But in that sense absolutely no one really sells a lot right now outside of a few key markets with the exceptions of Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey, and both of them are legally dead, so WME might as well shutter the UFC if talented midcarders are not worth the capital to keep around. You NEED to have those 5-15 ranked guys to have a healthy product, and you need to pay them well to keep them around, happy and training at a high level.

E: To reiterate, this is something Zuffa broadly understood that seems totally lost on WME, who seem content on emulating boxing.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RIP MMA. Killed by Conor McGregor, Reebok, and Guy Fieri

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Strikeforce et al existed in the first place because UFC wouldn't pay for guys, you've been spoiled by the two years of extreme expansion and growth the UFC went though while they were juicing themselves up for a sale.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

tito couldn't even beat chael sonnen, no way he beats gegard

you're dreamin bud. tito almost tore his head clean off

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mean Bean Machine posted:

WME loving sucks

Yeah.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
What is the name of the show where snoop dogg is on the alternate commentary?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Sure but they keep letting extremely solid guys go which if it keeps up is just going to keep weakening divisions. Rory and Mousasi might not be PR gods but they're both really high in their divisions, Horiguchi too.

I think it's a dumb thing to do, but I can at least see where they're coming from.

WME is loving stupid though. They're hedging on the brand name being enough and it's still too niche of a sport for that to be the case.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Work Friend Keven posted:

Strikeforce et al existed in the first place because UFC wouldn't pay for guys, you've been spoiled by the two years of extreme expansion and growth the UFC went though while they were juicing themselves up for a sale.

Yeah, this widening divide will ultimately depend on Bellator becoming profitable. Viacom is trying to build it up right now but 3 years from now if the casual fans aren't tuning in and its bleeding red ink, then they'll sell their roster back to the UFC.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
A bunch of the ufcs current top ranked guys were in strikeforce at the time of purchase and yhe ufc didnt seem to be going out of business then

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Woodley, masvidal, saffeidine, jacare, romero, dc, overeem, werdum, etc

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
mousasi too right? or he was in dream or something

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Novum posted:

What is the name of the show where snoop dogg is on the alternate commentary?

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contenders

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

WME loving sucks

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
In a year a UFC PPV is going to consist of Dana White spending an hour burying a fighter for dropping out due to blowing out their knee and Ronda Rousey playing WoW on a big screen.

And Woodley will still be champion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WME loving sucks

They've single handedly managed to lose their own monopoly. Thats some top tier gently caress uppery.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Woodley rules

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Lid posted:

They've single handedly managed to lose their own monopoly. Thats some top tier gently caress uppery.

in like six months too. you can go on about strike force or whatever but the fact of the matter is I care about bellator now and I didn't care about it at all this time last year.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Work Friend Keven posted:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah for most of it's history the UFC has had some major opposition competing for talent, it just so happens that the Fertittas bought up everyone and gave all sorts of perks and incentives for guys to stick around until they could con a major corporation into buying the thing.

The money train is coming to an end now that WME has to service the debt.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contenders

That show needs a new name so badly.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
2013-2015 was like the only time in history you didn't have guys leaving the UFC for greener pastures, it's not a big deal that there are idiots wasting money to make Gegard Mousasi vs Francis Carmont

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The last time Scott Coker overspent for talent, we got the Heavyweight Grand Prix and the destruction of Fedor.

I'm okay with this.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

The last time Scott Coker overspent for talent, we got the Heavyweight Grand Prix and the destruction of Fedor.

I'm okay with this.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

*bangs fork on the table* Open. Weight. Grand. Prix.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I do not look forward to Bellator OWGP champion Jake Shields

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/884638471905832960

Heck yeah

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gaethje vs Alvarez will be great.
No need to have them on TUF, just delays a great fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

badass

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Gaethje vs Alvarez will be great.
No need to have them on TUF, just delays a great fight.

no need to have tuf. we've got dana white's show where he puts desperate buff men in a cage to fight for his amusement, like the japanese did with bugs. gently caress the whole show off. it wastes everyone's time and sucks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yep.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

no need to have tuf. we've got dana white's show where he puts desperate buff men in a cage to fight for his amusement, like the japanese did with bugs. gently caress the whole show off. it wastes everyone's time and sucks.

It got my wife into MMA so I wonder if they keep it around to try and hook the will-watch-any-reality-TV crowd.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's only so many times a loser on the show getting drunk and trying to fight someone else who isn't eliminated can be considered entertaining.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

WME sells the UFC in a few years for below cost. They aren't carnies they can't run a carnie show. They looked at a bunch of spreadsheets and got out the chequebook without realising that most of their roster is mentally ill by default and the rest are one domestic abuse/hit and run/whatever away from being a lifer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's only so many times a loser on the show getting drunk and trying to fight someone else who isn't eliminated can be considered entertaining.

Yeah zero is a number

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Southpaugh posted:

WME sells the UFC in a few years for below cost. They aren't carnies they can't run a carnie show. They looked at a bunch of spreadsheets and got out the chequebook without realising that most of their roster is mentally ill by default and the rest are one domestic abuse/hit and run/whatever away from being a lifer.

I have to think they have some kind of plan to get more TV money or something, because falling for a quasi pump and dump predicated on famous fighters never losing on top of completely unsustainable debt is really bizarre even for the entertainment industry

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Anyone think Weidman will beat Gastelum? Seems a rough as gently caress fight for someone who's been knocked out 3 times in a row.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Southpaugh posted:

Agreed. The UFC, while extremely profitable, won't be able to overcome the loss of Gegard Mousasi.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Anyone think Weidman will beat Gastelum? Seems a rough as gently caress fight for someone who's been knocked out 3 times in a row.

it's an insanely tough out. it'd be closer if i had any faith at all in weidman's gas, but he's looked bad lately in that department. and failing to put a wrestle on mousasi means he'll be standing with kelvin who will be giving him no respect or space. i'd like for him to find form and get one back, but i don't see it.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Agreed. The UFC, while extremely profitable, won't be able to overcome the loss of Gegard Mousasi.

They won't be able to overcome the interest payments on their billions of debt if they keep running lovely headliners like they have recently. Have they even come near a million buys on anything this year?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

They won't be able to overcome the interest payments on their billions of debt if they keep running lovely headliners like they have recently. Have they even come near a million buys on anything this year?

i'm sure they've sold a million fighter kithahahaghahaagdhagdhgahdgahdghasgfhasgfyhasf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I don't know if we've even seen PPV numbers this year at all. I feel like the guy Dave Meltzer knew at DirectTV retired or something because they just like totally went away as far as I can tell. If someone knows something more about this, I'd love to hear about it. Anyway, they're going to make a really stupid amount of money next month with Conor vs Floyd and then continue to diversify away from PPV with more/better regional TV deals across the globe. You can already see them tiptoeing into it with the TUF Latin America, which I don't know what happened to that either since they got bought. They were working on that India deal a long time ago and planned to have their own TUF and fight nights and whatever and then it totally went away and no one ever said anything about it again. The model is there but I don't know what they've been waiting on lately. They're going to be fine either way.

I'm actually more curious if Bellator is making more money or they're just taking on a bigger risk by signing some decent names (and Fedor) to try to get some attention. Their financial situation has always been a big mystery to me.

• Locked thread