Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky

Current:

Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges

Book available here, in english translation:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XUYQUZ2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Many of the individual short stories are also available online if you search.

Part One: The Garden of Forking Paths

• Prologue
  • Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius (1940)
  • The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim (1936, not included in the 1941 edition)
  • Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote (1939)
  • The Circular Ruins (1940)
  • The Lottery in Babylon (1941)
  • An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain (1941)
  • The Library of Babel (1941)
  • The Garden of Forking Paths (1941)
    [

Part Two: Artifices

• Prologue
  • Funes the Memorious (1942)
  • The Form of the Sword (1942)
  • Theme of the Traitor and the Hero (1944)
  • Death and the Compass (1942)
  • The Secret Miracle (1943)
  • Three Versions of Judas (1944)
  • The End (1953, 2nd edition only)
  • The Sect of the Phoenix (1952, 2nd edition only)
  • The South (1953, 2nd edition only)

About the book:

quote:

Ficciones is the most popular collection of short stories by Argentine writer and poet Jorge Luis Borges, often considered the best introduction to his work. Ficciones should not be confused with Labyrinths, although they have much in common. Labyrinths is a separate translation of Borges's material into English, by James E. Irby, that, like the translation into English of Ficciones, appeared in 1962. Together, these two translations led to much of Borges's worldwide fame in the 1960s. Several stories appear in both volumes. "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim" appeared originally in History of Eternity (1936).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficciones

quote:

Reading Jorge Luis Borges is an experience akin to having the top of one's head removed for repairs. First comes the unfamiliar breeze tickling your cerebral cortex; then disorientation, even mild discomfort; and finally, the sense that the world has been irrevocably altered--and in this case, rendered infinitely more complex. First published in 1945, his Ficciones compressed several centuries' worth of philosophy and poetry into 17 tiny, unclassifiable pieces of prose. He offered up diabolical tigers, imaginary encyclopedias, ontological detective stories, and scholarly commentaries on nonexistent books, and in the process exploded all previous notions of genre. Would any of David Foster Wallace's famous footnotes be possible without Borges? Or, for that matter, the syntactical games of Perec, the metafictional pastiche of Calvino? For good or for ill, the blind Argentinian paved the way for a generation's worth of postmodern monkey business--and fiction will never be simply "fiction" again.
Its enormous influence on writers aside, Ficciones has also--perhaps more importantly--changed the way that we read. Borges's Pierre Menard, for instance, undertakes the most audacious project imaginable: to create not a contemporary version of Cervantes's most famous work but the Quixote itself, word for word. This second text is "verbally identical" to the original, yet, because of its new associations, "infinitely richer"; every time we read, he suggests, we are in effect creating an entirely new text, simply by viewing it through the distorting lens of history. "A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships," Borges once wrote in an essay about George Bernard Shaw. "All men who repeat one line of Shakespeare are William Shakespeare," he tells us in "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius." In this spirit, Borges is not above impersonating, even quoting, himself.

It is hard, exactly, to say what all of this means, at least in any of the usual ways. Borges wrote not with an ideological agenda, but with a kind of radical philosophical playfulness. Labyrinths, libraries, lotteries, doubles, dreams, mirrors, heresiarchs: these are the tokens with which he plays his ontological games. In the end, ideas themselves are less important to him than their aesthetic and imaginative possibilities. Like the idealist philosophers of Tlön, Borges does not "seek for the truth or even for verisimilitude, but rather for the astounding"; for him as for them, "metaphysics is a branch of fantastic literature." --Mary Park

About the Author

quote:

Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo KBE (/ˈbɔːrhɛs/;[1] Spanish: [ˈxorxe ˈlwis ˈborxes] About this sound audio (help·info); 24 August 1899 – 14 June 1986) was an Argentine short-story writer, essayist, poet and translator, and a key figure in Spanish-language literature. His best-known books, Ficciones (Fictions) and El Aleph (The Aleph), published in the 1940s, are compilations of short stories interconnected by common themes, including dreams, labyrinths, libraries, mirrors, fictional writers, philosophy, and religion.[2]

Borges' works have contributed to philosophical literature and the fantasy genre. Critic Ángel Flores, the first to use the term magical realism to define a genre that reacted against the dominant realism and naturalism of the 19th century,[3] considers the beginning of the movement to be the release of Borges' A Universal History of Infamy (Historia universal de la infamia).[3][4] However, some critics consider Borges to be a predecessor and not actually a magical realist. His late poems dialogue with such cultural figures as Spinoza, Camőes, and Virgil.

In 1914, Borges' family moved to Switzerland, where he studied at the Collčge de Genčve. The family travelled widely in Europe, including Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in surrealist literary journals. He also worked as a librarian and public lecturer. In 1955, he was appointed director of the National Public Library and professor of English Literature at the University of Buenos Aires. He became completely blind by the age of 55; as he never learned braille, he became unable to read. Scholars have suggested that his progressive blindness helped him to create innovative literary symbols through imagination.[Notes 1]

In 1961, he came to international attention when he received the first Formentor prize (Prix International), which he shared with Samuel Beckett. In 1971, he won the Jerusalem Prize. His work was translated and published widely in the United States and Europe. Borges himself was fluent in several languages. He dedicated his final work, The Conspirators, to the city of Geneva, Switzerland.[5]

His international reputation was consolidated in the 1960s, aided by his works being available in English, by the Latin American Boom and by the success of García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.[6] Writer and essayist J. M. Coetzee said of him: "He, more than anyone, renovated the language of fiction and thus opened the way to a remarkable generation of Spanish American novelists."[7]

Pacing

This is a collection of short stories, so skip around. If you read a story you like, post about it.

If you want to say you've read Borges without risking reading a whole book, start with "The Library of Babel" and/or "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote".

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140902-the-20th-centurys-best-writer

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2010/07/23/128716508/the-universe-and-the-infinite-library

https://libraryofbabel.info/

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
good

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
This is my favorite book and this topic reminded me that I loaned my copy to a friend half a year ago and I haven't seen it since.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Super pumped for this, I'll start my reread as soon I as I get back home today. Which translation is everyone using? I'm thinking about grabbing a 2nd different translation from the library and reading some of the stories alongside each other.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Oh this will be good, I've read a handful of these before, here and there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm just very happy about my use of the "fiction" tag for this one

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hell yes, borges is insanely good

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Ahhh, "Ficciones", lo mejor de lo mejor. I'll read it in English just to see the differences after reading it many times in Spanish.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Another BB Goon and real life pal convinced me to pick this up about a year ago and much to my shame I've not even touched it since. I'll remedy that asap.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

This book rules.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Jorge Luis Borges posted:

Writing long books is a laborious and impoverishing act of foolishness: expanding in five hundred pages an idea that could be perfectly explained in a few minutes. A better procedure is to pretend that those books already exist and to offer a summary, a commentary.

:love:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Addition made to the "References and further reading" section. It is now complete.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I like the one about the guy who tries to rewrite a book word for word by experiencing exactly what the author experienced while writing.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

snoremac posted:

I like the one about the guy who tries to rewrite a book word for word by experiencing exactly what the author experienced while writing.

if you like pierre menard you might also like "gigamesh" by slanisław lem

e: gigamesh is relevant to each of the three posts prior to this one in different ways, hooray

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 6, 2017

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

snoremac posted:

The point isn't that he's trying to experience exactly what the author experienced, the point is that he is trying to justify an arrangement of words in Spanish identical to Don Quixote, but written by a 20th century French intellectual, not a 16th century Spanish soldier. He couldn't possibly experience what Miguel de Cervantes did, so he cou;dn't possibly write the same Don Quixote, even if they are word-for-word identical. There's a bit in the story where he says something like "composing Don Quixote in the 17th century was perhaps inevitable, composing it in the 20th century, almost impossible", you're invited to think about whether these ideas truly persist across time, like people who love old literature always say they do, or whether some parts of old books are just kind of lost at this point, no longer relatable or even experienceable.

anyway this is the best book ever written, my favourite I have ever read and I've probably got more enjoyment out of reading and thinking about Fictions than I have any other single piece of media in my life. Everyone read it, say things, and I'll tell you why you are wrong in your opinions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I always read "Pierre Menard" as a satire of lit-crit, or at least of the style of lit-crit that imposes modern critical frameworks (marxism, etc.) onto works that predate that framework. The story's narrator is certainly trying to defend the "new" Quixote, but it's an inherently ludicrous defense. I haven't actually started my re-read yet though, just going by memory. Borges sometimes tells you more about what you're bringing to him, though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 6, 2017

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Oh cool, I still have my copy of this from when it was book of the month in 2010 :v: Definitely worth a reread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353277

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hahahaha, dammit, I only checked back to 2011

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I always read "Pierre Menard" as a satire of lit-crit, or at least of the style of lit-crit that imposes modern critical frameworks (marxism, etc.) onto works that predate that framework. The story's narrator is certainly trying to defend the "new" Quixote, but it's an inherently ludicrous defense. I haven't actually started my re-read yet though, just going by memory. Borges sometimes tells you more about what you're bringing to him, though.

I've tried looking thru it with this in mind, and while there's a few things in the text that could point towards that, I think it's a) a really boring reading and b) doesn't make a lot of sense given the sort of things Borges was interested in. His essays and stories so often focus on strange ways of interpreting texts that are not necessarily in keeping with common sense, and the idea that for this one time he decided to satirise the entire thing seems weird to me. There's elements of it, Borges often pokes fun at himself for being as interested in reading as he is, but the idea that that is why this story is written is no good at all.

Also I really don't get your point about imposing modern critical frameworks on things that predate it? Like we shouldn't take a postcolonial look at Heart of Darkness because it was written before Orientalism? The entire point of theoretical frameworks is that they can be applied to things that came before them, otherwise you're just making poo poo up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

Also I really don't get your point about imposing modern critical frameworks on things that predate it? Like we shouldn't take a postcolonial look at Heart of Darkness because it was written before Orientalism? The entire point of theoretical frameworks is that they can be applied to things that came before them, otherwise you're just making poo poo up.

Oh I'm not married to that reading at all. I think it says more about the mindset I was in the first time I read "Pierre Menard" than it does about anything else.

That opposition to the application of modern frameworks to works from prior eras was an odd pet peeve some of my professors had back in my undergrad years. I agree with you that it's not a valid objection from a critical perspective, but it can still be a funny avenue for satire.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 6, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

*in dumb professor voice* you can't use new historicism when reading old books because its a modern framework

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

CestMoi posted:

The point isn't that he's trying to experience exactly what the author experienced, the point is that he is trying to justify an arrangement of words in Spanish identical to Don Quixote, but written by a 20th century French intellectual, not a 16th century Spanish soldier. He couldn't possibly experience what Miguel de Cervantes did, so he cou;dn't possibly write the same Don Quixote, even if they are word-for-word identical. There's a bit in the story where he says something like "composing Don Quixote in the 17th century was perhaps inevitable, composing it in the 20th century, almost impossible", you're invited to think about whether these ideas truly persist across time, like people who love old literature always say they do, or whether some parts of old books are just kind of lost at this point, no longer relatable or even experienceable.

anyway this is the best book ever written, my favourite I have ever read and I've probably got more enjoyment out of reading and thinking about Fictions than I have any other single piece of media in my life. Everyone read it, say things, and I'll tell you why you are wrong in your opinions.

Ah okay. It's been years since I read it. I really obsessed over his short stories at the time so I'm surprised I barely remember them now.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's fairly easy to read Menard as a parody or reducio ad absurdum against The Death of The Author and t he lit-crit school that came out of that work. Except for the pesky fact that Borges is writing more than a decade before that essay saw the light of day...

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hey there goon friends. I'm Peruvian and I have read and re-read Borges many times, treat yourselves with this beauty of a book.

Edit: Actually I have never ever read Borges in English, might give it a try.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 10, 2017

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
It's already been said but I'll never get tired of saying that this is one of the best books ever written. "Funes The Memorious" is my favorite Borges and it floors me every time. The laconic narration, the way in which Funes acquires this totalizing perspective and the burden it places on him, and down to the very last sentence, how this mundane vessel became a flash-in-the-pan, a focal point for something much greater before vanishing abruptly--completely floored me the first time I read it, and still does. "He was the solitary and lucid spectator of a multiform and almost intolerably precise world."

The central theme that I get from Borges is that his stories are essentially playful commentaries on the limits of our perception. Some are more epistemological, some are more ontological, some are more metafictional, but that's what kind of unites them for me.

I think that because of the subject matter Borges' sense of humor often gets overlooked in discussion. He's so drat funny too.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The counterpoint to the more serious take on "Menard" is that Borges loves him some low-key trolling. It's one of the most brilliant stories ever, particularly thanks to the structure. Borges loves his fake essays and invented criticism and academic characters ("The Garden of Forking Paths" might be the one of the more studious mysteries ever written).

There's a more subtle metatextual thing going on in "Menard" than in "Tlön" as Borges is less explicit about the fictional nature of Menard himself: It's a 20th Century Argentinian writer imagining a 20th Century French writer attempting to recapture Cervantes. If it's impossible for Menard to make the same work even with an identical text, what does that say of Borges creating Menard through the authoritative structure of an academic paper? It's a theme he explores from multiple angles in this, in "Tlön" as well as "The Circular Ruins."

The stories still have great impact, it's an amazing collection, but go back and check the publication dates on these stories and it's especially shocking. This stuff is from the 30s and 40s and feels 30 years ahead of the curve. Probably no exaggeration that Borges is a massive influence for modern writers (not just Spanish-language ones either, he looms large everywhere), which is impressive for a man who refused to write novels. But I guess you can say a short story is enough for any idea, if you are Borges.

EDIT: Though maybe we have "The South" to blame for a particular strain of lovely twist endings. Then again we also have Calvino's "Around an Empty Grave" which is Borges-biting at its most blatant so it's not all bad.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 11, 2017

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Nakar posted:

EDIT: Though maybe we have "The South" to blame for a particular strain of lovely twist endings. Then again we also have Calvino's "Around an Empty Grave" which is Borges-biting at its most blatant so it's not all bad.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is 1890, though

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, The South. I'm a literaturally uneducated savage so basically all I gleamed from that is that a]the protagonist idealizes death in romantic circumstances (yeah, comparison to the drag and drabness of modern life, glorious adventures in days past etc. etc. - sure, ahead of its time but nothing groundbreaking in my opinion) b]it might have all been a dream, which I assume is the lovely twist mentioned above. But Borges calls it his best story and it seems really simple compared to (most of) the rest of his stuff. Anyone willing to push me in the direction of what I'm missing?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

anilEhilated posted:

So yeah, The South. I'm a literaturally uneducated savage so basically all I gleamed from that is that a]the protagonist idealizes death in romantic circumstances (yeah, comparison to the drag and drabness of modern life, glorious adventures in days past etc. etc. - sure, ahead of its time but nothing groundbreaking in my opinion) b]it might have all been a dream, which I assume is the lovely twist mentioned above. But Borges calls it his best story and it seems really simple compared to (most of) the rest of his stuff. Anyone willing to push me in the direction of what I'm missing?
You had to be there.

Like, you have to have physically seen those parts of the country for the impact to be the same, I think.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
The south is the country, the rural life away from the big city. We Non-City Latinos go to cities to study, to better ourselves, to work sophisticated jobs we don't have in our towns. But we yearn day and night for all we left behind...until the very moment when we decide to actually go back and the story in The South. We will never be city boys and we are no longer country boys as well.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How easy is this to read in the original Spanish, if you're moderately literate in the language?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Borges makes you go check the dictionary, how much depends on your literacy level. You end up being thankful as he is not pompous, he is just picking the right word.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
I just finished The Circular Ruins and it's been my favorite story so far. I really enjoyed the description of the god of fire as an amalgamation of forms. There's a bit at the beginning which confuses me which says, "...where the Zend language has not been contaminated by Greek and where leprosy is infrequent." The first bit seems to be saying that the area hasn't had contact, or has hidden from contact from the West, but how does leprosy relate to that?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

poisonpill posted:

How easy is this to read in the original Spanish, if you're moderately literate in the language?

granted, i was young (and stupid, which i remain to this day) at the time, but i had a way tougher time with his allusions than his vocabulary. i think you'll do fine

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 13, 2017

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Thanks, friends. These are great. Is it too early to suggest Dubliners as a contrast next month?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

poisonpill posted:

Thanks, friends. These are great. Is it too early to suggest Dubliners as a contrast next month?

Not too early, but we did Dubliners in April 2014.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Finished, was awesome.

Just as an aside, I'm also reading The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, switching between a chapter or two of that and then some fiction, rinse and repeat. Lost track a little and got a fair bit into "The Garden of Forking Paths" believing it was a chapter of Tuchman. Was confused and enlightened.

(This sort of thing never happened in the pre-Kindle era.)

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
I found this article after reading "Theme of the Traitor and The Hero" and thinking that Fergus Kilpatrick might be based on a real person. I thought it was a pretty interesting overview of places where Borges took liberty with actual reality.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's nice that you can buy this book in ePub now, but this ePub has a whole bunch of errors in it.

Incidentally, which translation do people prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
next month noms need

• Locked thread