Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Peter Valruki

Peter spares a glance at the others before popping out. "Hey, where are you going with that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Dr. Robert Pohlmann

Dr. Pohlmann considers the situation for a moment, uttering a faint "Huh..." before he pulls out the inter-vehicle radio and says "Do we check out the ambulance, follow the gasman, or continue on our way? It's not like we don't have enough on our plate as is." It's starting to seem like everything is hitting all at once and he's not had time to breathe or process any of what's going on before the next odd thing happens. Dr. Pohlmann briefly looks back at the officer handcuffed to the stretcher in the back of the vehicle as he waits for the reply from the magic van.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 23, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Special Agent Abe Hanson

"Ten-to-one he's trying to destroy evidence. I'll go after him with Valruki. You guys can check the ambulance or wait for us to get back."

Abe jumps out and starts running after the gasman, gun in one hand and badge in the other.

"HEY! FBI, HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Case
"I think I have the right tools to work with it in here. If I don't, I'll leave it alone till we get back. For now I got you." Case says as he tosses the transmitter into a faraday bag he has at his workstation.

Apparently these things exist and are like 30 bucks so lmao you know the NSA van has a bunch of them: http://www.teeltech.com/mobile-device-forensics-equipment/disklabs-faraday-bags/

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?
Pavla Vlasova

Pavla nods, more than willing to let FBI man handle Gasman. Looking to the others briefly she gestures towards the ambulance before heading for it, on the lookout for anything that could pop out at any moment. Odds were slim that this would just be a regular ambulance with nothing untoward inside...

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The man turns in surprise at Peter's voice, his hand quickly going to under his jacket. However, as he does, Agent Hanson leaps out of the van with his pistol drawn and yells out about being FBI. The man carrying the gas can glances back behind him quickly before simply diving to the ground, disappearing into the grass. Suddenly, Pavla's ESP shrieks a warning and she dives to the ground as well, just as the rattle of submachine gun fire fills the air. Abe stops and throws an arm out to catch Peter by the chest just as the lead begins to fly.

Bullets whiz by Peter and Abe, striking the side of the van with metallic thuds, and a single shot grazes Abe's left arm, tearing his suit and drawing blood; had he kept moving, it would have likely struck him in the chest. Peter luckily escapes without any damage, and while unnerved about the shots flying around his head, he doesn't feel any panic thanks to the adrenaline that is kicked in. Inside the van, Case and St. Martin can see where the bullets are striking the side of the van and failing to penetrate, thanks to its armoring and low caliber, but the noise is enough to give them a headache; there's no telling how long the armored van will hold up under sustained fire, but right now it may be the safest place to be.

Abe ducks down out of pure instinct with his pistol drawn, dragging Peter down with him to keep him from getting his head blown off. The tall grass is more than enough to hide where the shooters lurk, but luckily it works both ways; if Abe can't see the shooter, the shooter can't see Abe. The trick, now, is going to be getting the drop on them and finding out what the hell is going on. He can see the grass still swaying where the man with the petrol canister dove into the grass, about ten feet ahead to the right. He gestures towards it so Pete can know as well.

Combat starts again. Both Peter and Abe pass their fear test for being shot at by submachine gun fire, with Abe getting a bonus due to being an FBI agent who has been shot at before. The shooter(s) are hiding deeper into the field in the high grass, and currently neither side has a lock down on the other. Abe and Pete know where one guy is, but it's not certain how many people might actually BE in this field.

Make stealth and perception tests when you move and we'll get this train wreck going.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Special Agent Abe Hanson

Abe glances at Peter and hisses, "Split up. I'll flank left. If he tries shooting at us, get his head down. And don't catch me in the crossfire."

Not even waiting for a reply, he vanishes into the grass, moving with practiced ease. Hopefully he'd be able to flank this guy and take him alive. At this point he'd really appreciate some answers as to what the hell was going on.

Stealth (3 Agility +2 Skill): 1d10+5 15

Stealth Rule of 10: 1d10-5 3, for a total of 18

Simple Perception: 1d10+4 6

And uh, I don't know if these count as our actions for the first round or what, so I'll wait on that and edit if necessary.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Peter Valruki

Peter briefly considers telling Abe where he can shove but the man moves off too swiftly. Cursing silently under his breath at his luck, Peter does as the FBI agent says.

Stealth: 1d10+7 11

Perception: 1d10+4 13

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dr. St. Martin

"Dammit! Case, Russian lady whose name I can't remember around gunfire, we need to get out there." Luckily, vans have two sides, and St. Martin exits out the one that's not being shot at, edging around the back of the van to try to get an angle on wherever the gunfire's coming from.

Simple Perception, I guess? simple perception: 1d10+2 3 should be a 5, but still bad.
Oh, Doc. You really belong in the lab.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Case
Case pops a handful of percs and washes it down with his coffee as he draws his pistol and moves to the outside of thr van. He's staying in cover but trying to spot muzzle flashes so he can return effective fire.

Perception: 1d10+6 14

Stealth default: 1d10 10

Rule of 10: 1d10 5

15 on stealth

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 22, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Dr. Robert Pohlmann

"poo poo!" Robert swears as he ducks behind the side of his vehicle for cover. "For being some sort of world spanning secret conspiracy they just keep hitting you in the face with it over and over. How many more of these assholes are we going to hit on this stretch of road?"

He keeps his head down as he makes a break toward the ambulance to try and see what is going on with that. He stops at the magic van ahead of him to catch his breath and his wits before continuing on.

----------
Making a break for the Magic Van and will proceed to try and jog to the ambulance next turn if it's not on fire and/or exploding by then.

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Pavla Vlasova

Well things certainly went South again real fast. Pavla grimaces from where she's hit the ground, waiting for the gunfire to stop. Hopefully none of her comrades got hit. Would be a shame to have a man down this early in the operation.

The gunfire does cease momentarily, and Pavla takes that as her chance to move, heading in the direction where she last saw the man with the gas can in hand. If she can just get the drop on him and subdue him while everyone else focused on the gunman (or gunmen)...

Stealth: 1d10+3 9

Perception: 1d10+3 11

Going for the man with the gas can seems like a good idea... right?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The two doctors meet up on the safe side of the Magic Van as Case clambers out, ducking low into the high grass. Abe moves carefully and quietly through the grass, careful to not disturb it too much to give himself away, moving towards the source of the machine gun fire. Peter does the same, flanking in the opposite direction, peering through the grass as he picks his way through it.

Pavla, meanwhile, beelines towards where she last saw the man with the gas can, her sixth sense tingling the whole time. She doesn't even notice Peter and Abe passing nearby. The wind whistles through the grass, the air otherwise silent save for the ticking of the engines on the magic van and biohazard ambulance. To Abe's right and to Peter's left, they hear the grass rustle faintly, and spy movement as well; both men go still, hunkering down as best they can. Whatever is ahead pauses as well, and Abe is able to make out the faint movement of a head turning side to side.

Further back, Pavla almost trips on the dropped gas can, freezing in place as she looks around. The man carrying the gas can was gone now, and Pavla can't find a trail; there are too many footprints going to and from the ambulance and they are all too fresh for her to tell what's up. Behind her, nearer the ambulance, she hears a metallic click. Her sixth sense screams and she flattens to the ground as another report fills the air, a bullet whizzing mere feet above her head and tearing through the grass. The figure some distance in front of Peter and Abe whips toward the sound, and Abe recognizes through the brush the movements of someone trying to reload their weapon; he and Peter both can hear faint cursing coming from the figure ahead. He seems wholly unaware of the agent and the criminal, mercifully.

Case, meanwhile, is near enough the shooter to have seen the flash of his gun, and he sees the man who had been previously carrying the gas can aiming his gun into the grass, his teeth bared and sweat beading on his forehead. The man has yet to notice Case.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Peter Valruki

No time to think. Only to pull the trigger. Peter takes a shot at the figure in the grasses ahead.

Firing a short burst 3 round: 1d10+6 14

All 3 round should hit unless he dodges.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_-D6i-KBI
Mr. Case
"He's at your 9 o'clock in the tall grass! Light him up!" Case calls out as he starts firing off shots with his glock.

Pistols: 1d10+3 9

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Special Agent Abe Hanson

The quiet day suddenly fills with gunfire and shouting. Adrenaline pumping, Abe raises his pistol and snaps off a shot at the movement in the grass ahead.

Pistol Shot: 13

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Pavla Vlasova

That didn't go as expected, although she did force the man she was going after to reveal his position to everyone else. And as expected there's another burst of gunfire from around her where her comrades are. Please don't be poo poo shots...

Gonna stay here on the ground and let them hopefully do some killing.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Earlier this week I found out my uncle passed away and the circumstances behind it weren't the most pleasant, and the drama involved with it has been incredibly draining.

I've been grieving with my family most of the week and just haven't had that creative spark, but most of it was really a sort of childish notion of not wanting to deal with the concept of death for a bit, or really anything remotely serious.

I plan to have this updated by Labor Day but mostly wanted to give you guys a heads up on where I've been and what's up. We'll be back to dumb alien conspiracies soon enough, gang!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Abe's shot snaps off and there is a cry of pain from the grass beyond. Before the man can get his bearings on Abe, Peter fires off a short burst from his submachine gun. The two hear a strangled cry before the sound of heavy rustling from the grass and the sound of something hitting the dirt. Back near the van, Case's shot is incredibly lucky and strikes the man through the throat, tearing open his jugular. He drops his gun to try to staunch the bleeding, slamming back against the ambulance and sliding down it to a sitting position as he looks weakly towards Agent Case.

The cell waits, listening for reinforcements or more gun fire. Several moments stretch into an eternity before the group decides it's more than likely safe. Peter and Abe stand back up, moving to investigate the fallen body of whoever their assailant was, when they notice the grass clears out another fifteen feet ahead of them. Moving forward with caution, they stop feet from the edge of a gigantic hole some twenty feet across, filled haphazardly with bodies. The smell of gasoline is strong, and Abe notices that most of the bodies are tinted green or missing body parts; it takes a moment for his brain to process that he's also looking at bodies with extra parts as well.

It's difficult to gauge just how many bodies are down in the hole, but at first estimate there has to be at least twenty. A faint glow emanates from several of the green tinted bodies.

Meant to post this last night before falling asleep, oops. The goombas are dead and you guys have found a mass grave with some weird bodies in it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dr. St. Martin

St. Martin holsters his weapon at the all-clear, and then spends quite a few minutes trying not to lose his stomach over the mass grave. "Jesus loving Christ," he finally says, "this right here is my loving problem with this job. You know they had me autopsy like four different kinds of vampires? One of them sucked spinal fluid out of people. Hold on, let me get something." Returning from the van with something that looks boxy and prototype-ish, he holds it up to the bodies. "I swear to God, I hope I don't have loving alien mega cancer now."

Doing Science at the bodies to try and figure out what the hell is going on.do science at bodies: 1d10+5+4 13, 15 if this involves alien tech

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Dr. Robert Pohlmann

When the gunfire ends, Robert runs to the strange ambulance, partially to see what else the man had in there, partially to get closer to the now gravely injured assailant. Dr. Pohlman does a quick check of the ambulance to see if the inventory or equipment is out of the ordinary before he sees to attending to the neck-shot man.

-----

I'm confused, the guy with the gas can that ran from the ambulance into the brush with our guys in hot pursuit, got shot through the underbrush, and is now back at the ambulance? Nevermind, I guess there was a second person that was still up by his ambulance?

Going to take a look through the Ambulance, presumably my medical training would give me a reasonable understanding of what should and should not be standard equipment in an ambulance and I'm looking for anything that stands out as highly unusual. Like a whole lot of gas cans, but also more subtle things.

I'll go ahead and take the assailant's gun, cuff him, and administer basic triage so he doesn't bleed out here and now. I'm phoneposting so linking out is a pain, Dyne can you go ahead and roll my triage rolls for me at +2 for the quarantine van medical equipment?

We don't have a brig at base for a bunch of captives and also wounded prisoners, maybe we toss someone back to the locals?

Assume I'm late getting to the MASS GRAVE and I'll start rolling for that when we get the ambulance situation looked at.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 7, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
He looped back and shot at Pavla; Case saw him.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Special Agent Abe Hanson

Abe peers down into the pit, wide-eyed.

"What in the god-damned hell? How does this day keep getting more hosed up? Jesus."

He leans back and takes a deep breath, then immediately regrets it as his nose fills with the smell of the pit. Coughing, he turns and heads towards the man he and Peter had shot, gun still at the ready.

"I'll go check on our second gunman. And hey, Doc: if it makes you feel better, they were apparently going to wade in there and start splashing gasoline around, so I'm guessing short-term we're fine."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Peter Valruki

Peter joins Abe at the pits edge, then mutters to himself in romanian. This is a giant pile of loving our problem.

"I'll uh, stand guard yeah?"

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Pavla Vlasova

Pavla gets up, dusting herself off. "Nice work, guys." She shoots them a thumbs up before moving over towards the pit... the one with all the bodies.

"Huh. That's unpleasant." She wrinkles her nose as she looks the scene over. "And hopefully not radioactive."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Case
Case throws up after killing the assailant unceremoniously in the tall grass before dragging himself to see what was ahead. He retches even more upon discovering the bodies and eventually drags his crippled rear end back to the Van. "You guys sort that poo poo out...I'm gonna..monitor the comms."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Dr. Pohlman rushes back with Abe to check on the second gunman, miraculously finding him alive but unconscious. Upon closer inspection, Robert finds that the man had put some sort of white patch over his throat that had completely stopped the bleeding, and checking the man's pulse he finds it to be strong but rapid. The amount of blood spilled puzzles the good doctor and Abe, as both men have seen incidents where men have lost less blood and died from blood loss, but the second gunman isn't even pale.

Climbing down into the pit, St. Martin crouches down to inspect the bodies, finding that the ones that glow also typically have extra limbs and numerous small incisions. One of them oddly secretes a glowing green substance every five seconds that, after exposure to oxygen, hardens and turns blue before falling to the ground in chunks. There is no obvious way to determine the cause of death of the majority of the bodies, but a small handful show horrendous blunt trauma to the skull or have had their heads nearly completely severed.

While the doctor moves from body to body, inspecting the wounds and oddities of each one, Pavla can't help but feel a sense of deja vu as she looks at one of the corpses. The face is incredibly familiar, and it isn't until St. Martin is on the sixth body that it clicks: the body closest to the edge of the pit, staring at her with its dead eyes, is one of the missing persons that AEGIS had reported alongside the researcher they were hunting down. She doesn't recognize any of the other people, but the man on top is definitely one of the ones from the briefing.

Mr. Case, meanwhile, listens in on the radio in the van, finding nothing of import. He is able to check the group's location on GPS and finds they're still some distance from the reported mile marker; either the report on the radio was incorrect, or they're going to find another one further up the road.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Peter Valruki

Peters not sure what to make of the bodies. Things only get weirder as St. Martin starts to examine them.

"The hell? What we supposed to do with these docs?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Special Agent Abe Hanson

Abe leans in and stares at the patch on his throat, impressed.

"Well, that's a hell of a thing he's got there. It's gonna get pretty crowded in the van if we take any more of these creeps alive."

Abe rolls him over to cuff his hands behind his back, then pats him down for weapons or other items of interest.

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Pavla Vlasova

"That one." Pavla says as she points to the aforementioned familiar corpse. "He's one of the missing folks mentioned in the briefing." Huh. How about that. She stoops down to look at the body. Yep. No mistaking it. Definitely the guy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dr. St. Martin

St. Martin climbs out the pit as quickly as he can and strips off one of the many, many disposable gloves he carries, before speaking to the others. "I'll be honest here, I've never seen anything like this. My best guess is Grey biotech, but I'm not willing to commit to that. Black Book likes to mix and match, even if they don't do it quite as much as we do." He scratches his head and adds, "Somebody definitely made sure they were dead as hell though, and individually -- maybe they weren't staying down, which is about the worst thought I've had this month. Dr. Pohlmann, what do you think? You probably know more about bioscience than I do."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Upon seeing the gunman is going to survive, Pohlman returns to St. Martin, scratching his chin in thought. "Well.. they're definitely dead, I can tell you that much." He chuckles, putting on a filter mask and tugging on a pair of latex gloves that go up to his elbows, lacing his fingers together and flexing. "Let me see what I can find out." He clambers down into the pit and gets to work, digging in to one of the cadavers with the gusto only a man who consistently deals with disgusting stuff.

Abe's pat down finds a similar communication device as was found on the deputy from further down the road, as well as what looks like a stun gun; he can't find any way to trigger it, however, and the construction seems much lighter and sturdier than anything he's seen before. The man groans and stirs, obviously still alive.

Case sends a report in to AEGIS prime regarding the deceased abductee, and within minutes receives an urgent response:

AEGIS Prime posted:

REPORT RECEIVED AND CONFIRMED.

ANOTHER CELL IN THE STATE HAS REPORTED A SIMILAR GRAVESITE AND SIMILAR LOSS OF LIFE.

IT IS THE RECCOMENDATION OF AEGIS PRIME TO ALLOCATE ALL RESOURCES TO DISCOVERING A SOURCE FOR THESE DEATHS, AS IT WILL LEAD TO THE RECOVERY OF DOCTOR HORACE.

IF HORACE HAS BEEN COMPROMISED, TERMINATION HAS BEEN APPROVED.

YOUR CELL HAS PRIORITY CLEARANCE ON THIS MISSION AND WILL BE RECEIVING FURTHER INTEL AND SAMPLES FROM OTHER CELLS IN THE FIELD WITHIN THE HOUR.

IT IS HIGHLY RECCOMENDED YOU RETURN TO BASE AND AWAIT FURTHER INSTRUCTION.

AEGIS PRIME, OUT.

Several minutes pass before Pohlman emerges from the pit with a variety of samples from the cadavers below, his gloves slicked with a rainbow of slimes. "Turns out green's just the surface color of whatever this is. I've never seen anything like it." He quickly grabs one of the biohazard gurneys and lowers it back into the pit, taking the cadaver of the missing person and sealing it up inside with the other samples, as well as Pohlman's gloves and masks. He motions for help getting the gurney back out of the pit.

"If Prime's sending us more to work with, I shouldn't need to take too much from here. We'll get a positive ID on this guy and I'll see what I can find out from the others out in the field, and from some chemical tests. This is DEFINITELY not of this earth, but I couldn't tell you what it is just yet."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Peter Valruki

Okay so the big boys say to skip out on the weird stuff and wait for news? Fine by Peter. This isn't what he signed up for...okay it is what he signed up for but he never expected to actually see it. How the hell do they get green like that?

"So what boys, we just head back now? Abe what you think man?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Special Agent Abe Hanson

Abe just shrugs.

"If they want us to head back, we'll head back. It's my first day stumbling across mass graves of oozing corpses, so I'm in no hurry to second-guess the people who are used to this kind of thing."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dr. St. Martin

Obviously at a loss as where to go next, St. Martin goes with the flow. "Well, we've got a prisoner to interrogate and some stuff to point our better instruments at -- I say we get both back to the house and see what we can get out of them. God knows what this poo poo is, but if our guy is wrapped up in it you can bet we'll need to get to the bottom of it if we want to get him out alive." He scratches his head and adds, "Any bets why Prime wants him so bad? I'd say he's close to a program they want to keep an eye on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Case
"No clue man, I just hack here. I think we should get back and get to NORAD asap. You guys can interrogate the fucker but I wanna get onto their systems to find out what's going on with Horace's work."

• Locked thread