Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

If you guys want to keep debating the relative merits and deficits of different comedians, start a different thread or PM each other.

In my opinion, Jeff Foxworthy and Tim Allen are two of the best comedians on the planet. They both have their schtick which fits them perfectly, they know exactly who they are, and they know exactly who their audience is. Their timing is great, they know their subject matter, and they've been impressing for decades.

Dear PYF and Something Awful at large, who are your favorite comedians, and why? Let's have a discussion! Feel free to discuss both men and women of comedy, I just don't have much to say about female comedians since I'm really not that familiar with any.

PCOS Bill has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Thread tag is appropriate

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Thread tag is appropriate

Oh, I didn't even remember to set a thread tag. I don't think I've ever made a thread on SA before.

Edit: Huh, is that seriously the default?

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016
If you want to see an actually good female comedian (who is also pretty easy on the eyes tbh) check out Iliza Schlesinger. Her first Netflix special had me literally breathless the first time I watched it. I had to pause it when I got to the bit about women treating Pinterest like Xbox Live because I was laughing so hard.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

For the life of me, I wish I could remember her name, but there was this woman who was big-ish in the New York comedy circuit in the 90s and one of my favourite jokes was along the lines of, "I love that all the dildos and vibrators are always locked up in sex stores. Can you imagine being caught trying to steal one of those? 'Oh, poo poo, I'm sorry, I thought I left this in the fitting room'." Her name was Coyote something. She's probably nowhere as good as I remember but that bit was stellar.

On that note, I recently watched Hasan Minhaj's standup and I am not sure if I get the big deal. He seems to be playing some awfully big venues.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I recognize that it's super lame to like Brian Regan, but so be it. I like Brian Regan because the edge of a lot of stand-up humor has gotten pretty dull for me. Regan doesn't need an edge to be funny.

Or at least he was funny. I saw a recent special of his and it was ok, I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stewart Lee is the best stand-up comedian. Dylan Moran is also very good.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
John Mulaney is easily one of my favorites

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Lurker Ant posted:

If you want to see an actually good female comedian (who is also pretty easy on the eyes tbh) check out Iliza Schlesinger. Her first Netflix special had me literally breathless the first time I watched it. I had to pause it when I got to the bit about women treating Pinterest like Xbox Live because I was laughing so hard.

Why does it matter if a comedian is "easy on the eyes". Jim Gaffigan and Hannibal Buress crack me up but I don't wanna gently caress them and that doesn't have any impact on how much I enjoy their shows

edit: seconding John Mulaney, dude is brilliant. That story about stealing someone's photographs because "they're the one thing you can't replace" made me gasp the first time I heard it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOM4g4Y300I

Neal Brennan's 3 Mics is seriously amazing. He does funny one-liners on the first mic, some regular longer-form standup in the second mic, and then relates some of his most personal moments and feelings of weaknesses wrt his mental illness on the third mic. Then, once the laughter stops and everyone is feeling introspective and down, he hops back to the first mic and entirely shatters the mood again.

It's great in it's individual parts, but the constant tone-shattering he effortlessly pulls off makes it the best stand-up I've seen outside Tig Notaro's "I have cancer and will probably die, but we're going to laugh at this together because I need to" stand-up.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Todd Barry is the only comic that had me gasping for breath live in the last 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDSikuapUGk

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

ghost emoji posted:

Why does it matter if a comedian is "easy on the eyes". Jim Gaffigan and Hannibal Buress crack me up but I don't wanna gently caress them and that doesn't have any impact on how much I enjoy their shows

edit: seconding John Mulaney, dude is brilliant. That story about stealing someone's photographs because "they're the one thing you can't replace" made me gasp the first time I heard it.

Okay, sit down cause I know this will come as a shock to you:

People like looking at good-looking people.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tiggum posted:

Stewart Lee is the best stand-up comedian. Dylan Moran is also very good.

Was coming in here to say "Stewart Lee is the best comedian." I'm not even British.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
I really love Joe Mande. His bit about going to a taping of a talk show baked is legit amazing. Also Mike Birbiglia's specials are always hilarious and he's pretty good at making audience interaction not drag forever. Seconding Neal Brennan, that special was so good and really interesting. Chris Gethard's special 'Career Suicide' is similar and sad-dope. Comedy roolz.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The new Norm Macdonald special on Netflix is pretty good. The part about Lee Majors' contract was so funny-sad.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Doug Stanhope

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

thecluckmeme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOM4g4Y300I

Neal Brennan's 3 Mics is seriously amazing. He does funny one-liners on the first mic, some regular longer-form standup in the second mic, and then relates some of his most personal moments and feelings of weaknesses wrt his mental illness on the third mic. Then, once the laughter stops and everyone is feeling introspective and down, he hops back to the first mic and entirely shatters the mood again.

It's great in it's individual parts, but the constant tone-shattering he effortlessly pulls off makes it the best stand-up I've seen outside Tig Notaro's "I have cancer and will probably die, but we're going to laugh at this together because I need to" stand-up.

Yeah this is a really good special

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really liked Steve Hughes before he went clean. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that he beat his drug problems, but his stuff when he was boozing it up at every show was comedy gold.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love John Mulaney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkrL42R7gk

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like Mitch Hedberg a lot. His jokes are pretty good and I don't remember him ever making fun of someone which is pretty unusual. I don't think any stand up makes me laugh so much as think "Oh yeah that's pretty funny". A friend showed me John Mulaney before and I had to break social convention and ask him to turn it off. I saw Dylan Moran live once but fell asleep partway through.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I am a man of simple pleasures. I like Dave Chappelle and Jim Jefferies.

Honestly though I like most stand ups, I'm not really a connoisseur of comedy I tend to laugh at pretty much everything. I've never seen a professional comedian live though, been to a couple of amateur comedy nights but that's about it.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Jim Jefferies is good. Friend of mine almost drove off the road from laughing this weekend from this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsLwzXxeBe8

Also who can forget Jim Gaffigan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqIpYhM6PE

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I've got a few. Patton Oswalt is at the top of my list, mostly for his riff on KFC Famous Bowls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfan5MacmsI

Mike Birbiglia and Ron White are up there too. Birbiglia's from my neck of the woods (born and raised in Shrewsbury, MA), and he's got incredible comedic timing.

I love Dave Chappelle's standup too, and I've laughed at a few of Jim Gaffigan's albums.

Fritz Coldcockin has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Jul 4, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

I like Mitch Hedberg a lot. His jokes are pretty good and I don't remember him ever making fun of someone which is pretty unusual.
I like Mitch Hedberg too, but I don't think his delivery really added anything to his jokes. They're just as good written down, and generally that's the way I'd prefer to see them. It's just more convenient. I'd say he was a great joke-writer rather than a great comedian.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

I like Mitch Hedberg too, but I don't think his delivery really added anything to his jokes. They're just as good written down, and generally that's the way I'd prefer to see them. It's just more convenient. I'd say he was a great joke-writer rather than a great comedian.

I like Mitch, but he's basically Steven Wright on drugs.

For old school comedians, George Carlin is my absolute favorite.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

He has a very unusual style and I can see not liking it but for me his mumbling and laughing at how dumb his own jokes were added a lot for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No Amy Schumer discussion, but she's performed with some very good comics. I love Marina Franklin and she should be way more popular than she is. Rachel Feinstein is also very good, although her recent hour-long special wasn't the best thing I've seen from her.

Maria Bamford remains my all-time favorite comic.

George Carlin is still a classic, and his poo poo has aged super well. Older stand-up doesn't always translate well, but I can watch basically any Carlin special and love it.

LargeHadron posted:

I recognize that it's super lame to like Brian Regan, but so be it.
He's a very good comedian. I've seen him live twice and he's a ton of fun. Regan is one of the few "the whole family can enjoy him!" comics that's actually funny.

Edit: Updated thread tag to the most stand-up comedy tag there is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I love basically everything Bo Burnham has done, and still occasionally sing Left Brain/Right Brain to myself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The amount of good stand-up comedy out there right now is overwhelming. Even Netflix's "record everyone who has ever stood in front of a microphone" approach has grabbed a bunch of great stuff, but you have to sort through it a lot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I tried listening to some Bill Hicks when I was younger but even at my edgiest most fedora-admiring I found him insufferable and not good at jokes. Patrice O'Neal was very good.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I came to say Maria Bamford but someone else has that covered.

I find Bill Burr's delivery very funny, kinda a guilty pleasure.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Jimmy Carr's Netflix special last night. Oh my god I love this guy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

I watched Jimmy Carr's Netflix special last night. Oh my god I love this guy.

I used to really like him but I haven't watched any of his stuff in ages, he still has some great lines though.

"My mate's nickname is Shagger. You probably think that sounds pretty cool, she doesn't like it"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

EmmyOk posted:

I used to really like him but I haven't watched any of his stuff in ages, he still has some great lines though.

"My mate's nickname is Shagger. You probably think that sounds pretty cool, she doesn't like it"

I was always partial to "If you want my comeback, you'll have to scrape it off your mother's teeth."

ah ah ah AH AH HAAAH :haw:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I saw Jim Gaffigan live a couple of years ago. He's great, he opened with a solid 5-10 minutes of regional jokes, stuff that I had never heard from him before, and that hasn't wound up in any of his specials yet. I really thought that was cool, so often comedians tour just like musical acts, "playing" mostly their new album along with some interspersed greatest hits and fan favorites. Not that I look down on them for it, I can't imagine coming up with that much material that is constantly funny just as a person talking. But I definitely have extra extra respect for Jim Gaffigan writing specific jokes for this particular show, and we couldn't have been the only place he did it.

Lewis Black did something like that, I saw him probably in '03 or '04 when I was in high school. First set was all of his popular jokes ("if it weren't for my horse..."), and there were 5-6 stacks of newspapers around the stage. I figured they were just stage decorations, but for the second set he was picking them up and ranting about current events, like stuff from that day or the day before. I thought that was really cool.

I love stand-up comedy, I'm really liking Tom Segura of late. Hard to pick a true favorite though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

om nom nom posted:

I saw Jim Gaffigan live a couple of years ago. He's great, he opened with a solid 5-10 minutes of regional jokes, stuff that I had never heard from him before, and that hasn't wound up in any of his specials yet. I really thought that was cool, so often comedians tour just like musical acts, "playing" mostly their new album along with some interspersed greatest hits and fan favorites. Not that I look down on them for it, I can't imagine coming up with that much material that is constantly funny just as a person talking. But I definitely have extra extra respect for Jim Gaffigan writing specific jokes for this particular show, and we couldn't have been the only place he did it.

Lewis Black did something like that, I saw him probably in '03 or '04 when I was in high school. First set was all of his popular jokes ("if it weren't for my horse..."), and there were 5-6 stacks of newspapers around the stage. I figured they were just stage decorations, but for the second set he was picking them up and ranting about current events, like stuff from that day or the day before. I thought that was really cool.

I love stand-up comedy, I'm really liking Tom Segura of late. Hard to pick a true favorite though.
Lewis Black's first memoir, Nothing's Sacred, is really good. It's light and easy but he has a lot more depth than just the character he plays.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Gilbert Gottfried, mainly for his appearances on the Stern show and his stupid impressions of old comedians like Groucho Marx and Georgie Jessel. Also Dracula.

Also, pretty much anything by Norm MacDonald, especially his performance on the Bob Saget roast: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/661a77b3da/norm-macdonald-trolls-the-bob-saget-roast

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
John Mulaney is one of the best storytellers in stand-up comedy. I have tickets to see him for the second time in October, and he is amazing. He also co-wrote all the "Stefon" sketches on SNL's Weekend Update with star Bill Hader, and he and Nick Kroll co-starred in the hilarious, ridiculous off-Broadway show "Oh, Hello," which you can now watch on Netflix.

Here's his great bit on Law and Order: SVU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4pQBYg1vfA

And this might be his most legendary bit, about the best meal of his entire life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkrL42R7gk

Kurt Braunohler isn't an A-lister yet, but he always kills me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYubrVVsA5c

Moshe Kasher is a brilliant stand-up who survived a very difficult, troubled adolescence, as he describes here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDqDdpvm0Y

Nikki Glaser covers similar material to other female comics, but she is funnier than most. She was also great live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWLgzwyFuM

Kyle Kinane is great too, and this is a shorter version of one of my favorite bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efEsCeKNQWA

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

funmanguy posted:

I came to say Maria Bamford but someone else has that covered.

I find Bill Burr's delivery very funny, kinda a guilty pleasure.

You shouldn't feel guilty about liking Bill Burr because he's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Daniel Tosh "if you've ever said 'There's nothing funny about blank', we'd never hang out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkxLzOmSHj8

• Locked thread