Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I check all the doors just to make sure nothing can surprise me while I'm facing whatever is in the Final Door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

elf help book posted:

youll lose track of which you entered you jackass

not if the door stays open

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im am OCD gamer who has to check all the doors, unless the hallway has a nook or a bend you need to check

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I guess it depends on the game? I like map completion and I hate missing things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I check the doors in case of ambushes, unless it's an RPG, then I check them for treasure chests.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Caithness posted:

Just pick a door at random halfway down the hallway

lol

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Wormskull posted:

I want to make sure I know what's going on in the hallway in case I have to run away from one of the doors after.

- Sun Tzu

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Reprisal posted:

- Sun Tzu

lol

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

You have to check the doors

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clive Barker's Undying had a giant mansion setting where nearly all of the doors were locked or jammed, and it made me so mad by the end

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

JERRY: It's gotta be the doors. The doors, everytime. It's no question! What if there's a cutscene?

GEORGE: Exactly! That's what I said - what if there's a cutscene? You can't be sure you're coming back from that.

JERRY: Can't be sure.

GEORGE: There's so much stuff that could be in the rooms – treasure chests, lore... a save point!

JERRY: A secret boss...

GEORGE: A secret boss, Jerry! That's something that's NEVER coming back! NEVER! You miss that and it's GONE! [whistles] Right, out the window! One secret boss – skipped! [almost screaming] Goodbye 100% completion rate!

JERRY: It's gotta be the doors.

GEORGE: And do you know what he said?

JERRY: What did he say?

GEORGE [Chad voice]: 'What if there's a cutscene behind one of the doors?'

JERRY [slowly puts his coffee cup down]: A cutscene... behind one of the doors?

GEORGE [gestures madly with his hands]: A cutscene behind one of the doors!

JERRY: I've never heard of such a thing.

GEORGE: It's unheard of!

JERRY: It would completely ruin the point of having a hallway in the first place! Why not just have it be a series of rooms?

GEORGE: It would kill gaming, Jerry! It would kill gaming as we know it! Why not just watch a movie? It's gotta be the doors - or you're mad! You're a madman!

JERRY: It's the doors. Just go for the doors!

GEORGE: It's gotta be the doors!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

JERRY: It's gotta be the doors. The doors, everytime. It's no question! What if there's a cutscene?

GEORGE: Exactly! That's what I said - what if there's a cutscene? You can't be sure you're coming back from that.

GEORGE: There's so much stuff that could be in the rooms – treasure chests, lore... a save point!

GEORGE: A secret boss, Jerry! That's something that's NEVER coming back! NEVER! You miss that and it's GONE! [whistles] Right, out the window! One secret boss – skipped! [almost screaming] Goodbye 100% completion rate!

JERRY: It would completely ruin the point of having a hallway in the first place! Why not just have it be a series of rooms?

GEORGE: It would kill gaming, Jerry! It would kill gaming as we know it! Why not just watch a movie? It's gotta be the doors - or you're mad! You're a madman!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolverkur posted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Bolverkur posted:

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

Lmfao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

Lmfao

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

When trying to brute force a labyrinth you choose a wall (left of right) and hug it, never letting go and passing through every door on the way. This plan is easily defeated by something like stairs in the middle of a room or bridges but often they don't plan for that.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

When trying to brute force a labyrinth you choose a wall (left of right) and hug it, never letting go and passing through every door on the way. This plan is easily defeated by something like stairs in the middle of a room or bridges but often they don't plan for that.

:chanpop:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Liquid Drink posted:

I hate opening doors that lead to other hallways then my OCD kicks in

This makes me anxious and should be illegal

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

Lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You could get pulled into a cutscene. Better to explore the doors first.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

strafe jumping the hallway in 2 perfect jumps and ignoring all the doors, thats a goomba stomp

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

strafe jumping the hallway in 2 perfect jumps and ignoring all the doors, thats a goomba stomp

More games need strafe jumping and bunny hopping

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

More games need strafe jumping and bunny hopping

You wouldn't even be good at doing those things so why would you wish for it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The cutscene angle didn't occur to me and hasn't happened to me often enough to make me worry. Usually I can tell when I shouldn't touch the end of the hallway or the door there or whatever though so maybe I just avoid it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

But, I'm also not someone whom cares if I miss stuff in a singleplayer game.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Going one way in a JRPG when the path splits and your Sixth Sense kicks in and says This new path has been too long without a treasure chest and a dead end...gotta go back...

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

In Training posted:

Going one way in a JRPG when the path splits and your Sixth Sense kicks in and says This new path has been too long without a treasure chest and a dead end...gotta go back...

Yes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

GamerSense

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

You wouldn't even be good at doing those things so why would you wish for it.

Because I like being mechanically challenged by games even when it frustrates me

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Imagining Larry running back and forth on the A and D keys while his manager, Ahmad, at 7/11 moves the mouse left and right during his cigarette break.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Imagining Larry running back and forth on the A and D keys while his manager, Ahmad, at 7/11 moves the mouse left and right during his cigarette break.

lol. Larry FTW

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's my name too.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Larry: [extremely Larry voice] I'm Larry.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Honey I shrunk the Larry

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's my name too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
doors