Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Genocyber posted:

Don't forget to bring this up when we do cover whichever area that is, though I think I have an idea.

I just looked up a game map to remind myself of which zone it was. Ziggurat. The one room with the open floor that lets you fall down to the lower level just sapped all will to continue. I remember the enemies also not being super fun to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I just looked up a game map to remind myself of which zone it was. Ziggurat. The one room with the open floor that lets you fall down to the lower level just sapped all will to continue. I remember the enemies also not being super fun to fight.

Yeah that's the area I was expecting. Can't wait to get there me-self!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is one of those games where i keep remembering that i need to replay through it with one of the two characters that were added later on in the game's lifetime, yet keep forgetting to. keeping track of this lp will help me with that, i think. for some reason the art never really bothered me. i guess because it's consistent.

had no idea that reize was so...prolific, lmao. didn't pick up on it before

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

this is one of those games where i keep remembering that i need to replay through it with one of the two characters that were added later on in the game's lifetime, yet keep forgetting to. keeping track of this lp will help me with that, i think.
Yup. Gave in, reinstalling right now. In spite of all the bitching I do here the game was really fun.

e: Hell, this is harder than Genocyber is making it look. Anyone willing to give a crash course on Gilda? I think what's throwing me off the most is her inability to block.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 22, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Yup. Gave in, reinstalling right now. In spite of all the bitching I do here the game was really fun.

e: Hell, this is harder than Genocyber is making it look. Anyone willing to give a crash course on Gilda? I think what's throwing me off the most is her inability to block.

Gilda's a rough start like Reina is. Poison soul is great early-to-midgame against anything except poison enemies, obviously. Once you start picking up souls you have more options; ice soul is great against demons and solid against anything that's not ice since you can just perpetually freeze them over and over, demon soul is super good if you pick up the ability to have life leach with all dark magic (I think that's a level 10 skill), fire is probably the most powerful. Pick up the skeleton summoning skill (first tier in the right tree) ASAP, having one of those around is great for drawing aggro, although it does make it more difficult tor recover skill cancels. Don't both with the magic switching mechanic, it's clunky and honestly not worth using most of the time. Upgrade the souls that you're using ASAP, that's the strongest offense boost you can give Gilda. You should probably hold off on doing Magus for as long as possible, I remember her being a roadblock, but definitely do take her down, you need her soul for upgrading angelic magic. For stats Int is overall probably the strongest but I'd recommend investing in Luck early on for more drops, then respeccing to pure Int later on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they REALLY added a bunch of various items and such since the last time i played, good lord. the greater mana key stone would have been so handy when i first played.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Yeah that's the area I was expecting. Can't wait to get there me-self!

IIRC they changed some parts of the level to make it less of a kick in the dick.

The game was suuuuuuuper rough on release.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Int is a safe choice for Gilda, but she's got some of the, if not the, strongest luck builds in the game. There's an accessory later in the game that boosts all the three other major stats by one third of your luck, plus Gilda's magic skill tree has a skill that boosts the thee other skills by one fifth of her int, and both of them pretty much stack on top of each other. Slap on some armor that increases both int and luck (the Magister Vestments are a good pick since they do that and increase magic power on top of that) and she can pretty easily hit 20 in all four stats. Or 30 with her Goibniu weapon.

That int/luck combo used to be even more obscene when her skill added one fourth of her int to her other stats, but even after getting nerfed it's still a really strong build. That said, yeah, Gilda probably has the roughest early and mid-game of the four characters but at least she makes up for it in spades.

Edit: Also making full use of Gilda's many jumps she gets over the game gives her pretty long aerial combos and lets her get in and out of enemies' business even without skill cancels.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 22, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Backtracking time! It's a Metroidvania so of course this was going to happen, and it certainly won't be the last time it does either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo you destroyed The Raven goddamn :stare:

Also the Laurel Crown is stupid good goddamn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Backtracking time! It's a Metroidvania so of course this was going to happen, and it certainly won't be the last time it does either.

The thing that just floors me about Reize is that Plague of Shadows is roughly 50% about Specter Knight's backstory, and 50% about Reize's, and I'm not sure I want to know how those conversations between him and Yacht Club went if he's as anal about his character's backstory as we're lead to believe.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The thing that just floors me about Reize is that Plague of Shadows is roughly 50% about Specter Knight's backstory, and 50% about Reize's, and I'm not sure I want to know how those conversations between him and Yacht Club went if he's as anal about his character's backstory as we're lead to believe.

Hah, I had no idea. I still haven't gotten around to playing the DLC campaigns. Props to Yacht Club for being willing to do that, make a backer character that relevant.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

magus was pretty much always a giant pain in the rear end for me, no matter the difficulty. all of the components going on all at the same time were just so tedious.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the magus stopped my playthrough when the game was still only purchasable on desura, not because of the difficulty, but because an early patch made the game crash during the fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

starting my gilda playthrough, goddamn is she weird to play compared to wyatt or reina. i like the on the fly magic switching and the save file i downloaded because for some reason my game didn't recognize me as having beat the game so it didn't have gilda available also apparently has all the weapons unlocked from the start for everyone so that's cool and i'm definitely trying to figure out what skill trees are the most fun to play with.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never bothered to read up on Reize, but his proclamatory knight code thingy seems eerily similar to Zote in Hollow Knight. He's probably not a direct parody, but maybe Zote pokes fun at this kind of character?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The 2.5% attack bonus per level effect of the Weighted Bracer actually works with weapons as well, it's only the Fighter's Bandages that only apply to bare-handed combat. They're pretty much my go-to accessory for physical builds if I don't have any other plans.

Also yeah, Magus is a huge pain in the rear end, I usually avoid her until I am properly geared up for the late-game to make her less of a chore to deal with.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's awesome because she takes your buffs AND your duration-based magic spells (like if you used ice block in that fight she'd steal that, ditto with the Wyatt's energy rain and so on)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

weirdly enough i think i just had my easiest magus fight ever when fighting with gilda. didn't get S combat ranking but i somehow got an S for time and S for health potion usage, leading to a SAS-SY victory. used the fire soul and the starting weapon to just shred through the crystal and apply a bunch of damage over time to her. i think it only took...2 or 3 tries? i'm pretty baffled.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

The 2.5% attack bonus per level effect of the Weighted Bracer actually works with weapons as well, it's only the Fighter's Bandages that only apply to bare-handed combat. They're pretty much my go-to accessory for physical builds if I don't have any other plans.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that. I'll bring that up next time.

Johnny Joestar posted:

weirdly enough i think i just had my easiest magus fight ever when fighting with gilda. didn't get S combat ranking but i somehow got an S for time and S for health potion usage, leading to a SAS-SY victory. used the fire soul and the starting weapon to just shred through the crystal and apply a bunch of damage over time to her. i think it only took...2 or 3 tries? i'm pretty baffled.

DOTs definitely help a lot with Magus, since a lot of the time you're running after her or striking the crystal/angel or are just dodging attacks, and Gilda is the queen of DOTs so that's not too surprising to hear.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Update time! Would have gotten this out yesterday but it just completely slipped my mind. We pick up perhaps the most useful ability in the game and crush a few bosses on the way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Shadoboxxer seems to be a fan of Kickstarter. I saw his name in a few other video games, like Cross Code.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Should have enough common sense to not force his horribly unfitting handle into games.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean when you have that much disposable income you can sorta do whatever you want.

The double jump change is prob one of the best changes in this game. In general I'm against Metroidvanias not letting you have the double jump until like 3/4 of the way through the game. Like gently caress you guys, that poo poo is necessary for exploration, combat mobility and course correction during platforming. It's not so bad here since you can wall jump, but other indie games can be annoying about it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it says a lot about how long ago it was that i last got heavily into this game, because i didn't know about the extra boss in the hallow + the npc there selling a double jump.

not that it matters for my gilda playthrough since she starts with double jump and can get a 3rd jump from one of her skill trees. also bolverk was like my best friend ever assist-wise my first time through the game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I enjoy the double jump enough that I immediately make another trip through the mausoleum and crypts after getting the skeleton key, even if that means I backtrack through that area more than maybe necessary.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think it says a lot about how long ago it was that i last got heavily into this game, because i didn't know about the extra boss in the hallow + the npc there selling a double jump.

Abigail, Lozzo, the fire siren and Daemahn were all added in the same patch that added Vladyn and Gilda as playable characters, so if it was long enough ago they just plain weren't there when you last played. Also the Hollow itself was much smaller and basically its own self-contained deal rather than an area that connects the sewers and crypts.

Speaking of the fire siren, since it's technically a normal enemy rather than a boss it also had a chance to drop ancient coins, so high luck builds ironically could get incredibly unlucky with it and get screwed out of a unique feral soul. Their chance to drop ancient coins has since been patched out but I still find it kinda hilarious.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's time for my favorite boss fight in the game!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Every time you talk about stuff like the poison potions and the double jump I'm just seething with rage aged 3 years like a fine wine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember back when the mines couldn't be entered again once they'd collapsed. that was such a baffling design decision.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Shadoboxxer seems to be a fan of Kickstarter. I saw his name in a few other video games, like Cross Code.

anilEhilated posted:

Should have enough common sense to not force his horribly unfitting handle into games.

It probably works better there than it does here; Cross Code involves an MMO.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Possessed Distahn was added in the same patch that added the Abomination. Originally you always fought Soul Rage Azudor, and if you decide to take out Azudor first all that changes is that he quickly ganks Distahn, because Distahn is always the worst. On that note the Soul Rage Azudor was pretty different initially, too; rather than going into a shield phase that requires you to beat clones, he summons clones that share a health bar with him. Obviously the idea was to make the fight more chaotic as it went on but in practice it just meant he goes down thrice as fast as you juggle three of him at once.

Also on the topic of stuff added to and changed in the game, originally there was no event to save Ishk. On release events worked a lot different than they do now, so stuff like the Yeti moving to a different boss arena or Atalan's brother going crazy and then later murdering his entire town weren't based on event flags but on a timer. In Ishk's case the mana heater still broke down, but instead you're just on a timer to beat the game before everyone there just freezes to death. I wanna say Ishk's population just dies at the seven hour mark with every use of the retry option adding 30 minutes to the timer, but I'm not exactly sure what the hard numbers here were.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Possessed Distahn was added in the same patch that added the Abomination. Originally you always fought Soul Rage Azudor, and if you decide to take out Azudor first all that changes is that he quickly ganks Distahn, because Distahn is always the worst. On that note the Soul Rage Azudor was pretty different initially, too; rather than going into a shield phase that requires you to beat clones, he summons clones that share a health bar with him. Obviously the idea was to make the fight more chaotic as it went on but in practice it just meant he goes down thrice as fast as you juggle three of him at once.

Also on the topic of stuff added to and changed in the game, originally there was no event to save Ishk. On release events worked a lot different than they do now, so stuff like the Yeti moving to a different boss arena or Atalan's brother going crazy and then later murdering his entire town weren't based on event flags but on a timer. In Ishk's case the mana heater still broke down, but instead you're just on a timer to beat the game before everyone there just freezes to death. I wanna say Ishk's population just dies at the seven hour mark with every use of the retry option adding 30 minutes to the timer, but I'm not exactly sure what the hard numbers here were.

I should stop bringing up old version stuff I only half-remember. :v: I do remember the timer stuff accurately, but thanks for the refresher anyway. I do find it a shame they changed it to a more standard plot progression thing, but it's probably for the best because the timer stuff wasn't made super obvious. At least, I had to read up discussion posts to realize why it was that several cities were suddenly dead.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the event stuff kind of sucked when lumped in with the other questionable decisions, and a lot of people were mad that a lot of the time they would just lose access to one of the major city hubs. i can definitely see why the devs changed it to at least give players the opportunity to fix things.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, I can understand why they switched to an event-flag-based mechanic, but the timer gave a good feeling of the whole city just steadily breaking down and there's nothing you can do but get out and never look back, and being able to fix Ishk kinda works against that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Big(ger) update today as we explore the next two major areas.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The best part of Treu's lecture is that Wyatt's response to it is "Hell yeah I use a fuckton of souls to get more power, now hurry up and die so I can add you to my collection!"

EDIT: Oh that's the Ziggurat. I..didn't really have a hard time with it. That one room is a PITA but if you take your time it's not awful. But old Engineer's Palace can get hosed. You have no invincibility after taking hits so those loving zappy columns can stunlock you and take off half your HP bar if you were unlucky.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 5, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

treu used to be SUCH an awful fight in earlier builds of the game. mainly since your primary obstacle was the absolute clusterfuck of hazards in the room and not the actual boss, but the boss itself also didn't help matters with how it interacts with everything.

the room still feels like it's around 25% smaller and more cramped than it needs to be.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Reize in Shovel Knight
Seriously? Wow.
Just... wow.
That's OC to the next level.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Now imagine doing the Zigurrat without the double jump and without the upgraded mana keystone.
Imagine needing to do that lower room several times.

anilEhilated posted:

Seriously? Wow.
Just... wow.
That's OC to the next level.

And yet in Spectre of Torment he's arguably the second most important NPC, who gets his rear end beaten every single time until the player saves him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

treu used to be SUCH an awful fight in earlier builds of the game. mainly since your primary obstacle was the absolute clusterfuck of hazards in the room and not the actual boss, but the boss itself also didn't help matters with how it interacts with everything.

the room still feels like it's around 25% smaller and more cramped than it needs to be.

In a sense it got smaller after an update. Previously the middle platform extended all the way to the left wall so to get there you'd have to climb from the bottom floor to the top and then jump down to the middle, which is especially fun when Treu decides to move between the middle and bottom floors and requires you to waste a ton of your team just playing catch-up. The current cramped middle platform is less than optimal but it's worlds better than the previous set-up.

To be honest I don't quite remember but I wanna say Treu's and Gernot's blue bar charge up moves used to be quite different in the initial game. I don't really remember what they used to do, but the blue bar filled up much more slowly and I basically considered that a hard timer to getting an S-Rank since those moves were really damaging and a huge pain to avoid.

Since we've seen the game's void area it's a good time to mention it used to be a lot worse status effect. In the current version it only lasts for maybe half a second, long enough to let enemies get an attack or two in before you can skill cancel away, but in most versions of the game it lasted three or four seconds, which might as well be an eternity in character action game terms. If you get stunned once you might as well say one of your health potions goodbye, especially when dealing with Gernot.

Divine magic is arcane type so I wanna say both angels and demons are neither resistant nor weak to it, meaning Reina has an advantage over other characters who need to be more conscious of which element they're using. I'm not 100% sure on this because elemental resistances in this are poorly documented but generally light type magic is resisted by angels and extra effective against demons and vice versa for dark magic, with a couple exceptions like fire demons being doubly weak to ice and sirens resisting ice even though they're not angels but still ice users. It gets extra confusing when you realise that light and dark can both refer to magic types and magic elements, so for example when Wyatt and Gilda have skills that say they absorb a portion of all dark magic damage dealt what they mean is dark type magic, meaning fire and void magic in addition to dark elemental magic, rather than only dark elemental magic. Also allegedly the training dummy in the library is a dark type enemy making testing elemental damage even more of a confusing mess than it already is.

Lastly, Reize is a huge baby.

• Locked thread