Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Well, I had a minor freak out when I saw this listed.

This game was my introduction to the Dragon Quest Monsters series, and it was love at first sight. I can't quite put my fniger on why, though. It's a shame I ended up losing the cartridge for it. If I remember correctly, I had made it to the final boss. At the very least, I had made it to the final area. It's also a shame I had no clue what I was doing so my team was just a random hodge podge of whatever I made. (Don't worry, I rectified both mistakes when I played the sequel.)

I remember one of my favorite things in this game being the Pokedex-esque thing that has information on all the monsters, including short (often kinda funny) entries. Will you be showing those off?

And as for the voting, I don't care what happens so long as we get a mole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Scouting is definitely one of the more fun things in this game when you're just faffing about, much like capturing pokemon is in Pokemon. Unlike in Pokemon, though, scouting is actually a lot easier to game in your favor.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

MightyPretenders posted:

Now seems as good a time as any to admit that I once tried to write a novelization of this game. It never really got off the ground.

Characterization for our protagonist would have gone as follows:

* Total Edgelord. Basically a self-aware Gladion.
* Sure that CELL are the bad guys.
* Pretty sure he's supposed to be the main character's rival. Keeps an eye out for whoever that is.
* Has planned out his own Heel-Face turn speech in his head. If he ever said it aloud, he'd realize it's pretty bad.
* Read the Zenithian Trilogy (out of order) when younger. Wants to become a monster scout because he idolizes Madason "Five" Gotha.
* Actually very well read. What else is there to do on a secret island base?

That sounds completely amazing.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm confused. It looks like fusing monsters is actually worse than catching scouting them fresh, given that they get fewer skills. What am I missing?

I'm sure Epicmissingno will go into more detail on it once we start actually fusing stuff, but the general gist is it follows Persona/SMT logic: you can actually choose the skills on the stuff you get from fusion, plus some of the best things cannot be scouted.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

When I first played this game, because I didn't really get what I was doing, that Orc gave me so much trouble. I don't really remember how I beat him.

Also, Wildcard is a good name for our friend.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I absolutely hate Hawkhart's design. It looks like it's been skinned, it's just gross. I wish there was a way for him to keep this 'new power' while going back to the adorably badass dog form.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Epicmissingno posted:

I'm thinking of maybe putting another section at the end of each update detailing which special synthesis recipes are available with Euchre's stock of monsters, to show what's available for anyone playing along.

That would be really cool! I'd love to see what crazy things you could do at any given point, and it'd help build excitement for the crazy things you are doing.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Glazius posted:

What are the chances you'll discover an uncharted island? Can you just keep bopping around the archipelago looking or is there a timer running here?

You can definitely just keep traveling between islands to find the uncharted ones. I know because when I was playing through the game, I eventually said "gently caress it" and just tried to grind uncharted islands for... some reason lost to me.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I know it's probably way too early to decide, but have you thought about doing an LP of Joker 2, as well? I'd love to see what kind of secrets I might've missed in that game as well.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

So, funny story: when I first played this game, my team got trashed by Snap's second team. Like, I didn't manage to beat even one of his monsters. And all this time I assumed you were supposed to lose at the second team. So fidning he actually has more monsters, many of which are pretty high level, was a bit of a surprise for me.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ummmmm

Isnt this guy human

Why can we use a person as a monster

Reading his Pokedex monster library entry reveals he died an unspecified number of years ago looking for the One Piece or something.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Solitaire just loving dropkicked the Incarnus. Say what you will about her attitude, you gotta admit she's got guts.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The Robbin' Hood etc. oversights are positively mindboggling and I was dumbfounded when I found out.

Voting for Diamagon Ace because that is a snazzy dragon.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Having played through the entirety of Joker 2, I'm pretty certain the only character from 1 that gets any kind of mention is Solitaire.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Jeez, looking at those models, I suddenly perfectly understand why they added the size system in Joker 2.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Chronische posted:

Too bad about.. pretty much everything else.

What exactly do you mean by this? Unlike 1, I actually beat 2 and I absolutely loved it from start to end. The best way I could describe it would be "1 but better". The only thing I dislike about 2 is how they removed the little pokedex-esque blurbs from the monster library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

If it makes you feel better, I didn't find the update boring. I never got even remotely close to getting any of these monsters, so it's interesting to actually see them.

• Locked thread