Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

yeah these loving threads always pretend primaries dont exist and/or losing a primary means the evil centrists cheated you instead of that your ideas or candidates are not as popular as you thought

I agree with you in principle, but it's really not this simple. It's hard as hell to primary an incumbent with any kind of real backing if you aren't fabulously wealthy and also willing to bet a huge amount of that wealth on your run. That's unfortunately true even at a relatively low level, and on top of that a well funded candidate can potentially run independently even if you win.

I'm not saying this isn't the right thing to do, but it's real lovely to pretend that most primaries are any kind of true open market for ideas where a loss means that your candidate/policy/ideas are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm not even saying don't be mad if you try and primary someone and it doesn't work, just that it's the best thing to do right now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm not even saying don't be mad if you try and primary someone and it doesn't work, just that it's the best thing to do right now.

It is undoubtedly the best way to move the Democratic Party to the left, but I'm just pointing out that the success rate is always going be fairly low for reasons that have nothing to do with policy or candidate quality. What makes it especially frustrating is that it's the right thing to do even if you lose, since a close race can potentially force the winner to make some concessions. That's a tough pill to swallow when you're the person being asked to devote considerable time and resources to a lost cause, though.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

why did this question need its own thread

• Locked thread