Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This post has cursed idonotlikepeas the fyora.

[plays Taps]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This looks really cool! Add me to the list of names please!

I think we should go B. Absolutely nothing can go wrong with this decision.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Please add me to the creature list - I'd love to be a Dryak! (and it will take at least that long to get to my name, if we ever do get to my name)

I started playing this game and got a little ways into it - but I keep dying. A lot. As do all my creatures. I'm doing the leadership & mechanics, and after that trying to focus on creatures, but I really feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Fyoras being not as good was something I didn't know, either.

Any tips for a new player, trying to follow your general build? Thanks!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It should have eaten more peas.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Let's be honest here, being a fyora in Geneforge 2 has cursed idonotlikepeas the fyora.

vdate fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 6, 2017

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'll leave Precipitate to be her own person and moral compass but I wouldn't mind being a boomdogie again.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've just realized I have Geneforge 5 in my GOG account- will I get spoiled on this game if I play that one?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Or, you know, try singing. :cthulhu:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CommissarMega posted:

I've just realized I have Geneforge 5 in my GOG account- will I get spoiled on this game if I play that one?

Kind of. You'll spoil the hell out of 3 and 4 more than this game, though it definitely builds on reveals from here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Some personal things have come up, so the next update probably won't be posted until Monday. It's mostly done, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Protip: don't start Geneforge 2 by creating an artila with low intelligence. It will be stupid, get damaged, and decide you look like a moving target. :rip:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Glad to see this is up and running now. I look forward to the thread "Precipitation". :D

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Geneforge 1 and 2 are more closely related to each other than any of the other entries - 3, 4, and 5 kind of make up their own trilogy that the first two mostly serve as backstory for.

Aside from the state of the world, you won't have much of 2 spoiled except in broad strokes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Noice, guess I'll install G5 then!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kacie posted:

Please add me to the creature list - I'd love to be a Dryak! (and it will take at least that long to get to my name, if we ever do get to my name)

I started playing this game and got a little ways into it - but I keep dying. A lot. As do all my creatures. I'm doing the leadership & mechanics, and after that trying to focus on creatures, but I really feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Fyoras being not as good was something I didn't know, either.

Any tips for a new player, trying to follow your general build? Thanks!

Save often and make sure you are dumping points into your shaping skills. Matt P. has a decent guide on gamefaqs that discusses builds a bit, but this early in the game a four or five in Leadership and Mechanics is as much as you need. You'll want at least seven in each Shaping skill going into endgame. You want loads of Intelligence, so don't feel shy about working on that. You can hit 10 before you hit the soft cap. Don't waste points on combat skills. In the early game, a little blessing magic is great, so drop a point in that once you get a spell. And don't neglect Mental magic once you get Unlock.

Meanwhile, don't hoard consumables and wands. Use them!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thank you!

I'm very grateful that the sprites move quickly across the screens, and that loading is very quick. Especially because I have to load so very often.

I'm terrible at keeping my critters alive - is it best to get away from fyora as soon as a better melee option comes along?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kacie posted:

Thank you!

I'm very grateful that the sprites move quickly across the screens, and that loading is very quick. Especially because I have to load so very often.

I'm terrible at keeping my critters alive - is it best to get away from fyora as soon as a better melee option comes along?

In most geneforge games melee creations are terrible. Fyora should be sticking to range if possible as well, it does more damage and has a higher to hit than the melee attack.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
For those of you who are struggling with technical issues, think about trying GOG versions of the games instead of Steam. Steam has a piss-awful backgroung when it comes to getting old games working while GOG, while not perfect, is frequently wizards at that sort of thing. That may not apply to the Geneforge quintet specifically - it could be a case of po-tay-to, po-tah-to, but generally speaking GOG is better at old games, no pun intended. I installed GF1 on my Windows 7 x64 box and it's running with no issues without any tweaking, though I've only done full screen so far.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Haven't caught up on the first few pages, but if you get through the current list of creature names, put me down.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hey, if the list moves fast enough (or you switch to random selection), make me a creature!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'd like to get in on the list too, please. :shobon:

Maybe I'll become a disposable creation by the fourth game!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Kacie posted:

Thank you!

Maybe it was just me, but fyora hit-rate in Geneforge 2 seemed abnormally low compared to Geneforge 1, and they don't do enough damage on hit to make it worthwhile. Melee options are overall pretty lame in this game, it's true. Thahd are pretty cheap, though, so you might want to create one just to sponge hits for your gun line. Oftentimes, however, the best 'tank' is a wall of projectiles that cuts down enemies before they can get close.

(spoilers deleted)

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 9, 2017

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yay new thread! Never even started GF2 so it's uncharted territory for me. Please stick me in the creature list, if you would!

I like the trend of dual meaning chemistry names. I assume Precipitate will be jumping the gun at every opportunity.

Curious about the thread title though - how come you switched to the passive voice?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
No spoilers! :coffeepal:

I haven't tried the GOG versions of any of the games, so I don't know if they've been tweaked. I also leave the resolution unchanged.

As for the voice of the title, well...

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

vdate posted:

Melee options are overall pretty lame in this game, it's true.
This is true, but only for creations. For melee Guardian PCs, this is probably the best they are in the entire series. The G1 skill Anatomy (extra damage to humanoids) was replaced by Parry (defensive skill). But since this is the first game where Parry was used, *it's *wildly* unbalanced. It gives you a separate chance to riposte (dodge all damage, free counter-attack)...if that fails, then a separate chance to parry the attack (no damage)...and then if THAT fails, a separate chance to deflect the attack and drastically reduce the base damage of the attack (which is then further reduced by your armor, usually to negligible damage). Each of these percentages maxes at 50% (!), so at high skill levels, you're rocking a 7/8 chance to basically ignore melee attacks (!!!). Against missiles, the riposte check doesn't happen, but you still get the other two, so you're still looking at a solid 75% evade at high skill.

We won't be seeing anything even remotely close to that in this LP because Precipitate is a Shaper and so it's way too expensive in skill points to invest in Parry beyond the first couple points, but for a Guardian, it's almost hilariously broken.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Add my name to the list, I'm ready and willing to die a horrible death serve.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

MagusofStars posted:

This is true, but only for creations. For melee Guardian PCs, this is probably the best they are in the entire series. The G1 skill Anatomy (extra damage to humanoids) was replaced by Parry (defensive skill). But since this is the first game where Parry was used, *it's *wildly* unbalanced. It gives you a separate chance to riposte (dodge all damage, free counter-attack)...if that fails, then a separate chance to parry the attack (no damage)...and then if THAT fails, a separate chance to deflect the attack and drastically reduce the base damage of the attack (which is then further reduced by your armor, usually to negligible damage). Each of these percentages maxes at 50% (!), so at high skill levels, you're rocking a 7/8 chance to basically ignore melee attacks (!!!). Against missiles, the riposte check doesn't happen, but you still get the other two, so you're still looking at a solid 75% evade at high skill.

We won't be seeing anything even remotely close to that in this LP because Precipitate is a Shaper and so it's way too expensive in skill points to invest in Parry beyond the first couple points, but for a Guardian, it's almost hilariously broken.

This is the high point for guardians, big time.

Parry is stupidly good.

Though an agent can get a pretty good parry score going if you know what you're doing, so agents will eventually eclipse the poor Guardian....again.....

But if you wanted to go melee at some point in the series, this is the place to do it.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Can I have my name added to the list of sacrifices creations?

On another note, that loading text about canisters having a cost...does that mean they actually have a drawback in this game, unlike G1? Does that mean we have alternate options for getting creations, or do you still need canisters for most of them?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

devildragon777 posted:

Can I have my name added to the list of sacrifices creations?

On another note, that loading text about canisters having a cost...does that mean they actually have a drawback in this game, unlike G1? Does that mean we have alternate options for getting creations, or do you still need canisters for most of them?

All shall be revealed! And voted upon. Precipitate may be a klepto, but she values the democratic process.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The best part of being current with an LP is the excitement of seeing it unfold as you go. The worst part is the waiting!

Really enjoyed the first LP, thanks Pool is Closed.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Awww yiss, getting in early on this one. I'd like to say again how much I've enjoyed your writing style Pool.

Also like to add my name to the list of the dead.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Beginner Diplomacy

Last time, we made it through the gates of Drypeak and negotiated an audience with Zakary, the leader of this colony. Then we started stealing everything in town and discovered that something may be afoot among the serviles.

This episode consists of :words:.

Sign posted:

This old, cracked wooden sign says:

DRYPEAK SMITHY

A dialogue box pops up to helpfully inform you that you can talk to someone by clicking on them and that you can buy and sell things here in this shop. Also it teaches that STEALING IS WRONG.

Like all settlements, Drypeak has a blacksmith. The mine needs a constant supply of tools and repairs. The smith here is typically huge and burly.

He nods to you. “I am Zuniga. Welcome, traveler. I've been doing a brisk trade in weapons lately. I'm guessing you'll need some blades yourself."

"I would like to trade with you," you say.

We won't actually be buying anything here, but we will sell off a lot of junk.

You conclude your business after selling the last cloak you pilfered. "Why have you been selling so many weapons?"

"The rogues. They are everywhere, lately. I don't know why. Only Zakary and the guards do. All I know is that l have to provide blades to defend us.

"It has made my job difficult. I have been short on supplies."

"You can't get supplies?" you ask. The last merchant caravan came by around three months ago and the mines look inactive, too. Zuniga can probably tell you more.

"Well, some things. But I can't get iron. The mines have been shut down. The workers in there keep getting killed." Thossila told you much the same thing; Zuniga doesn't seem to have any more insight into the situation than she does.

"Maybe I can help you?"

"I am sure you have more important things to do, what with fighting rogues and all. But if you can bring me bars of iron, I will pay you well."

"Actually, I have some iron bars right here," you say. You slap them down on the wooden workbench, one after the other.

Zuniga eagerly takes the iron and counts out coins for it. "Thank you, Shaper. This is iron today, it'll be blades tomorrow, and it'll be inside dead rogues the day after that."

That's what you like to hear. You bid him farewell for now.

This man is the town quartermaster. It looks like he was once a merchant before he got forced to adopt this new role. His clothes are covered with flour and splatters of food. He looks tired.

"Welcome, Shaper. I am Allizar. I'm in charge of the supplies. I don't have much I can sell, but I do have a few things."

"You are a cook or a quartermaster?"

"Yes and no. I want to cook. It's what I do. But then the rogues came and the old quartermaster got killed. Zakary put me in charge of looking after supplies. And cooking for the guards.

"I am glad to do my duty. And I have a lot of supplies I can distribute." The last sounds like a bribe. You decide you're open to that.

"What sort of leader is Zakary?" you ask. Allizar sounds jaded enough to offer a nearly real opinion.

"He does the best he can. He's an odd fellow, though. He only decided to come here after the colony was all but abandoned. Strange, if you ask me."

So Zakary can't be responsible for all the rogues outside, though you're surprised he hasn't taken care of them himself. You haven't seen any creations besides serviles since entering the town proper. "You have supplies to distribute?

"I do have a few items of interest. Very few. I am allowed to give them to whomever I see fit. Just so you know."

"How might I get some of those supplies?"

"Interesting you should ask. Soldiers go out to fetch food and such, but they keep getting killed by these three rogues. They're vicious hunters. If someone killed them, it would make my job much easier," Allizar says. "One is a fyora with a broken fang. One is a thahd with warped bones. Its body is all twisted. And one is a very old artila. Old and cunning.

"They all can be found in the fields and hills to the west. Kill all of them and I will reward you."

That sounds like Shanti's style, so you shouldn't have any trouble convincing her to let you do this job. Or maybe she'll do it herself and deign to let you partake of the rewards. "I'll see what I can do."

The living tools are tempting, but funds are tight.

Next door is the apothecary. The town's alchemist looks very happy to see you. You suspect, however, that she would be happy to see any new face.

"Welcome, traveler. I am Elili the alchemist, trapped in this desolate place and eager for news of the outside world. Please, how can I help you?"

"You say that you're trapped here?" you ask. Surely people have left.

"Zakary! He told me there was a real future! The liar!" Elili stares at you intently, no doubt trying to figure out how she can use you to escape from Drypeak.

Maybe you shouldn't probe any further in that direction. "Is it difficult to get ingredients out here?"

"Yes, very. The rogues. They're everywhere. We kill them. They keep coming back. And so on."

"Anything you've been looking for?" you ask.

"What am I not looking for? Hmm. Actually, there is one thing I've really been needing to make a batch of haste pods for the soldiers." She taps her lip. "There is a sage named Sharon in the woods to the northwest. She told me once she had a patch of saltweed. Bring it to me and I'll pay you."

That doesn't sound bad. "Would your potions be useful for adventurers?" Maybe she has some enhancement pods besides haste pods.

"Very much so. They can heal you, cure diseases and poison, and do other very useful things. Pods only help the person who drinks from them, probably you. Spore pouches, on the other hand, shoot out spores that help everyone nearby. Probably you and all of your creations."

You know about pods and spore pouches. You'd hoped for more specifics. "I would like to see your wares."

Her prices are too high for you right now. You inspect some of her Shaper equipment instead. Lab equipment is bulky stuff, but researchers don't tend to travel much.

Game Text posted:

These walls are the remains of an earlier attempt to expand the village of Drypeak. The effort was abandoned the same time the settlement was.

The twisted, weed-like trees have started to tear up the stone walls. Unless constant effort is spent cutting them back, there will soon be nothing left.

You wonder who is responsible for these rogue trees.

Oddly, there is a man skulking back here in the ruins. It seems like he is hiding, and yet he doesn't seem concerned that you have found him. He is skinny and filthy, and he shakes slightly.

“Ah, you," he says, and coughs a bit. "You found me. Good. I'm Zaph. I thought you or your master would poke back here eventually."

"Why are you skulking back here?" you ask. Sneaky humans are almost as worrisome as aggressive rogues.

"I am watching Drypeak. I was sent to try to learn what is happening in this town. That is my job. I am eager to return, though." He leans against the wall. He doesn't look fit to travel.

"Sent to learn what's happening here? You mean, you're a spy?" you ask. Maybe the council sent him. You can't imagine anyone else sending someone to spy on a Shaper colony.

"I suppose. If that's what you want to call it, Shaper. But are you not a spy as well?"

Of course not. That's just plain offensive. You frown. "What were you sent here to find out?"

"What our enemies were doing. Our enemies in Drypeak. Bear this in mind. This is why I let you find me. This is what I wanted to tell you. There are many forces in this place." Zaph clears his throat. "Shanti has chosen her side. Her destiny is fixed. Yours is not. Do not choose sides too quickly. My faction has much to offer you. Wait and explore before you decide."

Factions? Ridiculous. Who does this man work for that he thinks he has enemies in Drypeak? "Say... you wouldn't know where I can find someone named Barzahl?" You only ask on a whim. You didn't see a headstone for him in the graveyard near the gates.

Shanti will be irritated when you tell her about this paranoiac. Or maybe she'll find it funny.

Hard to say, really.

Zaph chuckles. "I am familiar with the name. I suspect Barzahl would very much like to meet you. Go northwest from Drypeak. You will find the passage which will send you in the right direction."

The guards said he died a year ago. You wonder who is lying. "You look hungry. Would you like something to eat?"

"You are kind." He coughs again, and leans against the wall. "Some bread would be nice. Or some fruit."

"Here, I think I have something for you." The dubious dried meat is easiest to reach. Conveniently, it is also the grossest thing you have to eat.

Zaph seizes the food and devours it. "Thank you, Shaper. That was useful."

"It is not safe for you here. I think you should leave." If the guards find out there's a vagrant back here telling stories, he'll probably get a serious beating.

"Yes, Shaper. I have said what I had to say. Remember what I told you. Keep searching. There are great rewards for you here, greater than anything the Shapers offer. If you know where to look."

Zaph walks off to the north, quickly. In moments, he is gone.

Someone left a hatchet near the western side of town. It's dull and thoroughly rusty.

Drypeak is using the natural stone cliffs here as a bottleneck in and out of town. It's a little strange that they haven't done more work to fortify this area.

Sign posted:

This sign is freshly painted. It says:

DRYPEAK FARMLAND - WEST

Beware of rogues! No serviles west without guard escort!

At least they're protecting the serviles.

You return to the pathetic fields. There's a whole gaggle of serviles here now.

"How do you feel about having to work?" you ask one.

"I am glad, Shaper. I love to serve you."

That was a strange response. That didn't really sound like something serviles usually say. But that might not mean anything. The creatures can be confused.

"I am interested in serviles. Can you tell me something about yourself?"

The servile looks up at you blankly. "I do not understand, Shaper."

You think this one is trying to fool you. Tricky. "Do you think you are a smart servile?"

The servile looks very confused. "I... I... I am sorry, Shaper."

You heave a sigh through your nose. Maybe Thossila is right and something strange is afoot here. "Come with me, servile. I need to punish you."

The servile looks very frightened. "I am sorry, Shaper. Could you tell me what I did wrong?"

The servile stops. A normal servile would never say something like that. It bows its head. "Shaper, you have found me. I am Sencia, a woman of this town. I am not dumb.

"I only want to work here and look after my kind. I am at your mercy. If you report me to Thossila, I will be killed.

"Do what you will. But before you do, let me tell you something."

You're not sure what to think, so you ask, "What do you want to tell me?" This servile sounds nearly human.

"You are young. There are many paths you could follow. There are many ways beside the way of the Shapers.

"Do not choose a side too quickly. Explore these lands. You may find that you will question whether you want to be a loyal Shaper or not."

That seems to be all this servile has to say. She returns to work. You are stunned that a servile would be so forward as to speak with you that way. A loyal Shaper would, of course, report this behavior to the servile's Keeper.

This is all very strange. First you met Zaph, now this servile. Sencia. They both seem to want you to come around to your way of thinking. The best course of action, the one in keeping with Shaper law, would be to report on them.

But you're curious to see where this leads. And you can always inform on the servile, Sencia, later.

"I have questioned the serviles," you say, catching Thossila by surprise. "They all seem dumb and loyal."

Someone locked this place up tight, but no one's come in or out in a long time. There's a chest inside with a dagger and some money; you help yourself.

You're drawn back to that strange servile, Sencia. She looks up at you blankly. "Yes, Shaper? How can I serve?"

"Sencia, you do not need to pretend around me."

"Shaper, I am at your mercy. Please, leave me be to my work. I will be leaving soon enough."

Leaving? Maybe you should've reported her to Thossila. Serviles don't simply get to leave, no matter how smart they are. "Where are you from?"

"I am from a village called Medab, in the Honola Woods. It is northwest. Go there. You will find that you will have a happy welcome. You may like what they have to say. Please, leave me be. I will be leaving soon."

Try as you might, Sencia has little else to say to you, and you don't want to provoke the suspicions of the guards by paying her any more attention.

Game Text posted:

You enter the Drypeak Warrens. This would have been the first installation built when the Shapers started to settle this area. It was here that all the life forms that settled this area were created.

The entry hall is guarded by turrets. These immobile, fleshy creatures are created by Shapers and can shoot vicious thorns at intruders at a remarkable rate.

Considering how miserable and poor this area is, this warren is surprisingly well maintained. If you walk farther in, you should meet Zakary, and half of your mission here will be complete.

You make small talk with the guard, but you learn nothing interesting.

Maybe you won't hang up your cloak just yet. As much as you'd like to make yourself comfortable, your mentor is up ahead.

The warren is full of guards. This one stares out from his alcove and greets you long enough to say, "Look out for rogues!"

You hope there aren't any rogues in here.

You finally come face to face with Zakary, the leader of the settlement of Drypeak. He is old and tired. He stands hunched over, and his skin is dry and wrinkled. His hands shake slightly.

He looks like you would expect for someone who has been leading a battered, failing colony. You are surprised, however, by the number of guards he has around him, both Guardians and turrets. He is prepared for a considerable assault.

When you approach, both he and Shanti turn to face you. Shanti looks annoyed at how long it has taken you to get here. "Now that my apprentice is here," Shanti says, "we can begin our meeting."

Shanti presents a scroll to Zakary. "Here are my orders, fellow Shaper. I've been sent by the Council to speak with you and Barzahl about this colony's progress and future. I hope this will not cause you much trouble."

Zakary shakes his head. "The news, as you can see, is bleak. Barzahl is dead. The colony is still failing. But I believe, with work, it can be successful. That is all. You can return to the Council with that news." There is a long silence.

You wait and see what happens.

Shanti says, "I am sorry to hear that, and I am sorry to hear about Barzahl. However, I need more information than that to return to my superiors. I assume I am free to explore?"

"I would be pleased if you would," Zakary says. He clearly doesn't mean it. "And, since the area is dangerous, I will make sure my guards escort you, for your own safety. I have also made quarters for you in Drypeak, near the road out."

Shanti says, "Then I will rest, and begin my exploration soon. Thank you for your help." They bow to each other, and Shanti starts to leave.

As she passes you, she leans close and says, "Well, that was useless. These people are hiding something. Look around, and come meet me in our quarters. They're at the south end of town."

Then she leaves. As she does, you notice that Zakary exhales with relief. He was nervous.

You're still nervous.

When you get a closer look, you see that Zakary is even older and shakier than you thought. His time in Drypeak has clearly exacted a horrible price from him.

However, you have learned that it is always deadly to underestimate a Shaper. This man contains great power and, even if he didn't, he is surrounded by powerful guards. You will have to be on your guard.

"Greetings, apprentice. I am sure most of my business is with your master, but, if there are any little questions you want to ask, I wish to be nothing but helpful."

You're bursting with little questions, but you must find a way to phrase them well. Even Shanti spoke with delicacy, and you must manage much more. "Can you tell me how you came to Drypeak?"

"It was about five years ago. Barzahl and I were looking for a failing colony. We were ambitious. We thought we could use our skills to create new, successful life forms. We thought we could do what others couldn't.

"I was aging, and I was eager to gain the acclaim I had failed to achieve earlier. And we failed. And that is really the only story for you to take home."

"Where were you and Barzahl before you came here?" you ask.

For some reason, this question catches Zakary off guard. He looks at you, trying to figure out what you know. Then he says, simply, "We were doing some exploring. Catching rogues. Agent work, I know, but we were needed.

"More than that, I can't say. My orders were to keep quiet."

Even you can tell how evasive Zakary's response is. He is less skilled at dissembling than Sencia. "Surely, you want to cooperate with our investigation?" You are surprised at your own daring, but you've already concealed a probable rogue today. "Do you want us telling our superiors you didn't help?"

"I... I... I cannot say. Period. Now, you should leave me. I have actual work to do."

Well, that work certainly isn't hunting down rogues or making more turrets. "I have another question."

"Yes, visitor? Is there anything else you want to know, or can I return to my business?" Zakary sniffs. If he really wanted to undercut your status as an investigator sent by the Council, he would call you out as a mere apprentice. As far as insults go, this one is weak.

"Our orders are to meet both you and Barzahl. Barzahl is dead?"

"Yes. We had left town to perform some experiments a safe distance away. One went wrong. He was killed.

"If it was possible for you to speak with him, believe me, you would. But it isn't, and that is that."

"Where is the body?" you ask. You still haven't seen a tomb or even a simple grave marker.

"Eaten. The failed experiment involved modifying a thahd. We tried to make a stronger laborer. The creature went mad and struck Barzahl down. Then dragged him off. And probably ate him."

You wince but push on. "Wouldn't it have been safer to perform the experiment here? Isn't that what this hall was made for in the first place?"

Zakary is very annoyed. "Perhaps an apprentice such as yourself should not question the wisdom of a full Shaper! You have a lot to learn!"

You notice that this was not actually an answer to the question. You also haven't managed to get yourself eaten by one of your own creations.

Not that you've made many. "Can you provide me with any supplies or training?"

Zakary jumps at the chance to dismiss you. "It is, of course, my responsibility to provide you with lodging. You will find quarters for you by the south wall of Drypeak. However, we have no extra supplies to provide. The rogue attacks. I'm sure you understand.

"As for training, locate Tyallea. He is a Shaper deeper in the warren. He can provide you with some training, for a modest price."

"Tell me about the rogues that are attacking?" you ask.

"A minor concern. There are a handful of rogues, probably wandered off from some other colony. We will handle them with ease. This region tends to make creations go mad easily. It is hostile, and upsets them.

"It is troublesome, especially when it happens to our serviles. But we deal with them quickly."

That is why Thossila is on high alert for strange behavior among the serviles.

"I have seen quite a few rogues. Surely it is not a small problem?" you ask.

"I can see why they would bother an apprentice like yourself. But such problems are minor. We will dispatch our enemies in no time at all. You will learn not to be troubled by rogues. With age comes wisdom."

If the problems were so minor, Drypeak would not have been forced to retreat behind barely-finished walls.

"When your serviles have problems, how do you deal with them?"

"How do you deal with any rogue? Punishment if valuable. Destruction if not. Do not let yourself become too attached to serviles. It is a bad habit Shapers sometimes pick up," Zakary replies.

You think of Sencia. "But don't we have some responsibility to our creations? Is it not right to be kind to them?"

"Every Shaper is allowed to voice such sentiments. A few times. When young. But such ideas are best left to youth, or you may find life to be very difficult."

"That's all for now," you say, allowing yourself a short sigh. "Thanks." It's not the most courteous way of addressing a senior, but Zakary is so glad to see you go that he doesn't chastise you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can we agree that Precipitate (a name I have to look up every time) should have a different personality than Solution? Being anti-servile racist might work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Can we agree that Precipitate (a name I have to look up every time) should have a different personality than Solution? Being anti-servile racist might work.

Whatever personality Precipitate has should derive from her background. Without that grounding, character traits tend to read like just assigning a grab-bag of tropes that are just kind of slammed together. Of course POOL IS CLOSED is free to build that background and then not reveal it to us (except insofar as it informs Precipitate's thoughts and actions).

That said, I for one am not interested in reading about the Adventures of the Magical Bigot. And if PIC wants to do a "100%" playthrough like they did in Geneforge 1, the "canny self-serving diplomat" approach to personal relationships is basically a given, so regardless of what Precipitate thinks, her behavior will be pretty similar to Solution's.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

STEALING IS WRONG.

Go home, game, you're drunk.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whatever personality Precipitate has should derive from her background. Without that grounding, character traits tend to read like just assigning a grab-bag of tropes that are just kind of slammed together. Of course POOL IS CLOSED is free to build that background and then not reveal it to us (except insofar as it informs Precipitate's thoughts and actions).

From personal experience, if you're being tutored by raging racist assholes (I'm assuming this is the case for our mentor) you either take on said traits, or you're quickly cast out. Being secretly "totally not racist, I swear" while echoing everything your superiors want isn't really an option.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Xander77 posted:

From personal experience, if you're being tutored by raging racist assholes (I'm assuming this is the case for our mentor) you either take on said traits, or you're quickly cast out. Being secretly "totally not racist, I swear" while echoing everything your superiors want isn't really an option.

You might wanna wait and see how the plot shakes out. Shouldn't take long.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xander77 posted:

It's also worth noting that serviles are literally created by shapers. It's not a metaphor thing, they are living constructs created by the shapers to carry out tasks and are deliberately designed for dull manual labor. To shapers, mistreating a servile isn't that much different than kicking a machine. It's horrific from an outside perspective, especially in light of historical chattel slavery, but keep in mind that it's something we will start dealing with if we ever advance machine intelligence enough.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also worth noting that serviles are literally created by shapers. It's not a metaphor thing, they are living constructs created by the shapers to carry out tasks and are deliberately designed for dull manual labor. To shapers, mistreating a servile isn't that much different than kicking a machine. It's horrific from an outside perspective, especially in light of historical chattel slavery, but keep in mind that it's something we will start dealing with if we ever advance machine intelligence enough.

People who hit their machines are not only morally wrong but also foolish. Delicate electronics rarely work better after being kicked a couple of times. The callous disregard with which people treat machines that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars never ceased to amaze me when I was working in IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
One thing to note is that the special encounter we had with the ancient temple on Sucia Island is that the ancestry of the Shapers is never mentioned again in the series. Nor is the very plausible theory of the serviles' origins. (And if you don't know about either of these, play GF1 or check out my previous LP! :kiddo:)