Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The_Doctor posted:

If it wasn't so early in the century, you can guarantee Moffat would put a scene where the Doctor takes the soldier home for Christmas and you'd meet his tiny son, Alistair.

"Did you give the Bosch five rounds rapid, daddy?"

Why not? Just add to the mystery of UNIT dating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It's not so much a pun as what the idiom actually means. I'm pretty sure it's for literally stressing that the indirect article is inappropriate because your subject is far too specific. That is, I don't think there's supposed to be a defined article you're comparing something to*. The lines are kind of redundant as they are, which is why I prefer the "The original, one might say!" wording.

"Reference" would probably have been a better term than "pun", but it was late, and I don't think it was any deeper than "in English, the definite article is 'the'." Still, that took me too drat long.

Fil5000 posted:

It's not like Angela Bruce wasn't available, she's been doing the circuit of Doctors, Casualty and Holby City as different characters for the last twenty years.

And let's never forget:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

"Reference" would probably have been a better term than "pun", but it was late, and I don't think it was any deeper than "in English, the definite article is 'the'." Still, that took me too drat long.

And let's never forget:

Thank you for reminding me that Chris Barrie's delivery of "I said 'How do we get two babies without a woman on board?' and YOU said 'I don't know but it'll be a lot of fun finding out', how RIGHT you were, Listy!" is still one of my favourite Red Dwarf things. Rimmer's sheer glee at Lister being the punchline instead of him for once is palpable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

vegetables posted:

But it's definitely a great place to set a Christmas episode, yeah.

Episode ends on a Sainsbury's logo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Hell Bent was Clara's ending :confused:
I'd argue it was Face the Raven, but everyone is welcome to their opinions and trying to correct them is a waste of time

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Christmas truce is a good setting, as long as they don't have the truce caused by alien shenanigans or the Doctor making a speech. That would be very bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vinylshadow posted:

I'd argue it was Face the Raven, but everyone is welcome to their opinions and trying to correct them is a waste of time
Depends, really. The very end is the end of Face The Raven, but the last the audience sees of her is Hell Bent. Sort of like Pulp Fiction or Memento

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

marktheando posted:

The Christmas truce is a good setting, as long as they don't have the truce caused by alien shenanigans or the Doctor making a speech. That would be very bad.

A lot of twelve's regeneration has been about being a warrior under duress. He hates pink cos he's a soldier, he won't take that woman from into the dalek cos she's a soldier, Missy giving him an army to command, etc. He spends a lot of time questioning his actions and the violence he has to do. So I can see the truce being a big thing for him - two sides in a war who find a moment of peace amongst the horrific carnage. I imagine it'll come down to a speech by the Doctor exhorting that peace is possible, you just have to want it. And then he'll finally find peace within himself and allow change to happen.

I mean, my imaginary plot summary there sounds logical, but not particularly interesting. Hopefully the professionals come up with something better :D

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

marktheando posted:

That literally made me wince and go "Oh, no" out loud, which probably means it's going to happen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not content with doing everything he ever wanted to do in Doctor Who, Steven Moffat uses his final episode as showrunner to "fix" another beloved BBC property by saving Blackadder, Baldrick, George and Darling from going over the top in 1917. :v:

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes
https://twitter.com/PeterDavison5/status/889394954652483584

:(

grim` fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Plavski posted:

A lot of twelve's regeneration has been about being a warrior under duress. He hates pink cos he's a soldier, he won't take that woman from into the dalek cos she's a soldier, Missy giving him an army to command, etc. He spends a lot of time questioning his actions and the violence he has to do. So I can see the truce being a big thing for him - two sides in a war who find a moment of peace amongst the horrific carnage. I imagine it'll come down to a speech by the Doctor exhorting that peace is possible, you just have to want it. And then he'll finally find peace within himself and allow change to happen.

I mean, my imaginary plot summary there sounds logical, but not particularly interesting. Hopefully the professionals come up with something better :D

That was the theme of his first season and it was stupid, especially with the resolution being "no I'm alright after all never mind".

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dabir posted:

That was the theme of his first season and it was stupid, especially with the resolution being "no I'm alright after all never mind".

well the theme of the second was seemingly that he was a true destined warrior, born and bred for violence and the third was that maybe someone who is all bad can be made good again

it seems like we're seeing someone go through survivor's guilt due to massive grief. denial, anger, bargaining etc.

"am i a good man?"

for someone who has been a warrior for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, twelve seems to be about reflection and reconciliation. and if there was ever a war about reflection, guilt, grief and tragedy, it was ww1.

maybe he'll finish with a poem

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The theme of the second season was terrible adventures in which the Doctor occasionally said "like a Hybrid", now I took that to mean he was describing other things as possibly being the Hybrid but perhaps you're postulating that he was doing his own take on 'like a boss'?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If I don't like a story it doesn't have a theme. bwahaha.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Plavski posted:

well the theme of the second was seemingly that he was a true destined warrior, born and bred for violence and the third was that maybe someone who is all bad can be made good again

it seems like we're seeing someone go through survivor's guilt due to massive grief. denial, anger, bargaining etc.

"am i a good man?"

It's a stretch, but you could fit all of the NuWho Doctors into the stages of grief. Nine and ten switch between anger and depression, while eleven is full blown denial. Twelve seems to be constantly bargaining - he's trying to make his trauma mean something, to somehow make what he did and what happened worth it. He's the most willing to make sacrifices in order to score a "win", whether it's his own sacrifice or others'. He tries to fix broken situations without realising that some things simply cannot be fixed (like, y'know, death).

I guess that would make Thirteen acceptance, if this was a real thing and not trying to pigeonhole complex characters with something just as arbitrary as playing card suits or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Pre-production concepts from Millennium Effects for the new Mondasian Cybermen:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
holy poo poo that's actually horrifying

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Those are legit. I kind of wish they'd have felt confident to scatter some of those around in the background, to make it seem like the Cybermen evolving wasn't just a single step of Mondasian Cybermen > Nu Cybermen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Uh there were Mondasian cybermen all over the place, it was one of them that shot the Doctor at the end even

E: Oh oops i misread

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 25, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wish they'd had a few Tomb/Invasion/Earthshock ones roaming around in the background.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I wish they'd had a few Tomb/Invasion/Earthshock ones roaming around in the background.

Ideally we'd have seen a vast assortment of Cybermen as they kept getting reinforced by more advanced troops that had been designed in the years since they left the bottom of the ship ten minutes ago.

But with a finite costuming budget, I'm pretty pleased with what we got.

Also good christ is that first concept design horrible. (In that it evokes horror, not because it's bad.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Absolute perfection

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm back to the ganger two-parter on my rewatch and season 6 isn't as bad as I remember it so far. I think the River revelations toward the end of the season were just so bad that it sort of tainted the rest of it in my memory. The Silence two-parter is pretty good, even though it's kinder to Nixon than it needs to be, Curse of the Black Spot is okay, though it feels like it runs a bit long for what it is, The Doctor's Wife is an incredible episode (I know, I know, it hits all the usual Gaiman notes, but it just works for the material), and the ganger two-parter has its issues, but it's pretty good.

I haven't hit the back half of it yet, but I remember Night Terrors being one of the better Gatiss episodes, The Girl Who Waited is great, The God Complex is decent... unless my perceptions have changed, it's mostly just Let's Kill Hitler that's a disaster? And maybe A Good Man Goes to War?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

Clever. Wrapping themselves in plastic so they stay fresh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I prefer 11 to the other new doctors. Or maybe I just really like Amy Pond. There are a lot of good two parters in Smith's run, as well as some great single episodes. I really like where Capaldi went with the character towards the end of his run, but Smith's era is really good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah most of the problems with season 6 are with the big River arc. The individual episodes are pretty good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 6 has some of the best individual episodes of the revival's entire run. But the season as a whole is a disjointed mess with a terrible break in the middle and a poorer version of the excellent season 5 conclusion.

Also yeah I love those Cybermen designs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Let's Kill Hitler is an insanely bad resolution to a "kidnapped child" arc and one that I'm baffled Moffat, as a parent, thought would do. It's not bad otherwise, but that "otherwise" is doing a LOT of work

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish the episode descriptions on Amazon were more helpful. Like give one or two sentences of what the episode is about instead of weird jokey poo poo like "The BBC would like to thank the families of the fake space station for allowing us to show this footage."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think I prefer 11 to the other new doctors. Or maybe I just really like Amy Pond. There are a lot of good two parters in Smith's run, as well as some great single episodes. I really like where Capaldi went with the character towards the end of his run, but Smith's era is really good.

Matt Smith has definitely impressed me all over again while going through it. Just his facial expression when the TARDIS pulls a level for him at the end of The Doctor's Wife is an absolute marvel.

Capaldi is an incredible, talented actor who effortlessly channels all of his predecessors, but there's something just a little too mean about the way they write his way of dealing with Clara toward the beginning. I think it's there so that Clara can fight back against it, and in the end, define herself more as an equal, but we side with her when she yells at him to stop being condescending for a solid half a season, and t's just not good for Doctor Who.

Part of the reason I was so happy with Bill is that their relationship was defined by compassion and empathy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Matt Smith has definitely impressed me all over again while going through it. Just his facial expression when the TARDIS pulls a level for him at the end of The Doctor's Wife is an absolute marvel.

Any even vaguely tenuous excuse to post this gif again:

The man is a physical marvel

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

These are horrifying and amazing. As much as I wish we saw them on the screen, I can understand why they didn't go with them. I know we talk about children hiding behind the sofa, but something that gets this sort of reaction out of adults is a bit much for a family show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Maera Sior posted:

These are horrifying and amazing. As much as I wish we saw them on the screen, I can understand why they didn't go with them. I know we talk about children hiding behind the sofa, but something that gets this sort of reaction out of adults is a bit much for a family show.

I think it could have worked in the background of a different episode, but not in that finale where the design is going to be seen in close-ups for extended periods of time.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Murderion posted:

It's a stretch, but you could fit all of the NuWho Doctors into the stages of grief. Nine and ten switch between anger and depression, while eleven is full blown denial. Twelve seems to be constantly bargaining - he's trying to make his trauma mean something, to somehow make what he did and what happened worth it. He's the most willing to make sacrifices in order to score a "win", whether it's his own sacrifice or others'. He tries to fix broken situations without realising that some things simply cannot be fixed (like, y'know, death).

I guess that would make Thirteen acceptance, if this was a real thing and not trying to pigeonhole complex characters with something just as arbitrary as playing card suits or something.

No, no, Thirteen is clearly the Donatello

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

docbeard posted:

Reveal that the Brigadier was a time lord all along and bring back all twelve thirteen of them.

and make them all jodie

all of them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm sad about Davison but that was an incredibly polite rage quit over blowback from some comments he really should've thought through. :sigh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He'll be back once it blows over, and if the universe is feeling particularly kind on that day, he'll have changed his tune, will admit he was wrong, and will join Colin in being over the moon about change. Him doing a polite rage quit and taking time to reflect on it is a good thing. (His comments were wrong, whether or not you think they were blown out of proportion, especially since they come on the heels of years of him saying a woman in the role would be a bad idea.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Any even vaguely tenuous excuse to post this gif again:

The man is a physical marvel
Why do I imagine Eleven's ideal wife would be the TARDIS wearing a fez?

Or perhaps...

There we go

Now I wanna see a Siege Mode TARDIS colored red with a tassel instead of the light on top with Eleven's grinning face peeking out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, I had convinced myself that Let's Kill Hitler was a mostly okay episode with a few groanworthy moments, but it is actually terrible almost all the way through, except for when Rory punches Hitler, or that other Nazi, in the mouth. It's New Earth levels of bad.

• Locked thread