Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Not really, no. You can find it in a rare place, but not often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

We have Dandelion and Burdock, a much superior "drink that smells like cough medicine"

Forktoss posted:

https://twitter.com/grahamkw/status/935527337898233856

Personally I think the show started to go downhill when they shifted focus from the policeman walking through fog to that weird shack in the junkyard

100,000BC is, to be fair, a much weaker story than the first episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say it's a wonder how the show recovered

But then the Daleks happened

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sassafras and sarsaparilla are native to the Americas, so it’s not totally surprising.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The overacting cavemen quibbling over skins and Orb are fantastic and I won't hear otherwise. Also good: the way the writing and directing never tries to send up the premise and takes the entire caveman scenario with utter seriousness (not that there's anything wrong with the Douglas Adams approach).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Not really, no. You can find it in a rare place, but not often.

I think there's exactly one place where I can get it, and it's the shop in the middle of Belfast that also sells camel meat and honey-glazed scorpions.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had this incredible cream soda in a glass bottle the last time I was in the US. I wish for more of it. And some root beer. Might have to visit the 'American candy etc' shop on Charing Cross Road.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They don’t have cream soda in England?!?!? I’m canceling Doctor Who!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Its been a while since I moved away but I'm pretty sure you can get cream soda and root beer at Asda

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cream soda is readily available over here. I remember getting it from the milkman in glass bottles.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh yeah no, we get cream soda. Just not THAT cream soda.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

Personally I think the show started to go downhill when they shifted focus from the policeman walking through fog to that weird shack in the junkyard

Everything after the unaired pilot is crap! The show was so much better when you knew where and when the Doctor Susan came from! :mad:

The_Doctor posted:

Cream soda is readily available over here. I remember getting it from the milkman in glass bottles.

[Hovers mouse over "Place Order: Cream Soda, 1 Case," sighs, and furiously crosses item off sheet of paper labelled "Doctor Who Secret Santa Idea List"]

HopperUK posted:

Oh yeah no, we get cream soda. Just not THAT cream soda.

:tizzy:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

"Not to worry, my dear. As one door closes, another opens."

That right there sums up Jacobi's Master in a nutshell and is the quote I remember from him the most, followed closely by his incredibly venomous "WITH YOUR CHANS AND YOUR THOS"

"DRIVE!! ING! ME! IN! SANE!!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HopperUK posted:

I had this incredible cream soda in a glass bottle the last time I was in the US. I wish for more of it. And some root beer. Might have to visit the 'American candy etc' shop on Charing Cross Road.

IBC most likely, if it was a major brand. They make both cream soda and root beer and both are a gold standard.

People swear by abita root beer but I don't see the appeal

We may be a bunch of diabetic fatasses but nobody does soda like the Yanks :hai:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Actually nm the Cubans have ironbeer

But other than that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chokes McGee posted:

IBC most likely, if it was a major brand. They make both cream soda and root beer and both are a gold standard.

People swear by abita root beer but I don't see the appeal

We may be a bunch of diabetic fatasses but nobody does soda like the Yanks :hai:

Whoa now, Abita Root Beer is second only to St Arnold’s Root Beer when it comes to “root beers made by gulf coast breweries”.

Chokes McGee posted:

Actually nm the Cubans have ironbeer

But other than that

Is this anything like Irn Bru?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Abita do good actual beer, at least.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I used to absolutely love IBC cream soda and get a Mug root beer with delivery pizza in my teens, but somehow I've lost the taste for soda. It all hits my tongue like someone poured syrup in my drink. I wish I could say it was the sugar and that I grew to like healthier things or something, but I can guzzle juice like there's no tomorrow, and that isn't a hell of a lot better.

It's like I regenerated, because maybe once every two years I see the IBC cream soda, get excited in realizing I'm an adult and can buy whatever I want, buy a six pack, and then react like Eleven does to most food in his first episode. I just stare at the remaining bottles and wonder what they tasted like to that other guy I used to be who enjoyed them.

I guess that's kind of maudlin, but it's an experience I think most people have, and for things far more important than soda.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

Bicyclops posted:

I was in the middle of this and got up to the Fifth Doctor's era, but the I got Super Mario Odyssey, so it'll be some time before I finish. It was really good to see Tom Baker again.

I’m just now pushing my way through the end of Hartnell’s first season. It’s definitely close to what I expected, but I’m still surprised so much is already established. I love Hartnell’s Doctor and Carole Ann Ford’s Susan. I understand why Capaldi wanted to bring her back now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

datingvolcanoes posted:

I’m just now pushing my way through the end of Hartnell’s first season. It’s definitely close to what I expected, but I’m still surprised so much is already established. I love Hartnell’s Doctor and Carole Ann Ford’s Susan. I understand why Capaldi wanted to bring her back now.

I like the dynamic between the Doctor and his first companions a lot, but I do get annoyed (as Carole Ann Ford did), with how quickly some writers can't figure out what to do with Susan and lean on the scared, blubbering, screaming teenager thing, Terry Nation included. Like, she's young and it seems like she's recruited Barbara and Ian to be her parents because of how off the rails her grandfather is, which is a good hook, but I like her best when she's vaguely alien, just as the Doctor is.

That first season is really good, though. Like, The Keys of Marinus is kind of trash, but it's such enjoyable trash. The only thundering dud is Marco Polo, and even that might be better if we could actually watch it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

The only thundering dud is Marco Polo

This aggression will not stand

(Admittedly, It's been a few years since I listened to Marco Polo so maybe I remember it being better than it is :shrug: Pairing Susan up with another young girl in Ping Cho was a good idea at least, I thought)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Last day to sign up for the Secret Santa!

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Thank you for doing this. I never appreciated what an effort it was to coordinate before.

Unrelated but inspired, Are we going to need a new line besides "Splendid chaps, all of them" given Whittaker's Doctor? I really love all the Doctors -- despite grousing about some more than others, maybe. And Doctor Who taught me never to complain about an actor until I see them play the part. I did it twice -- McGann and Smith -- and ate my words twice as both became favorites. In hindsight, I've never seen a Doctor I didn't like at least a little (I like them all lot, really) so I don't expect Whittaker to be an exception.

I just mean -- I don't know English English all that well. (Am American; nobody's perfect) "Chap" seems an inherently masculine word. Is that right? What's the female equivalent of "chap"? Do we need one?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Box of Bunnies posted:

This aggression will not stand

(Admittedly, It's been a few years since I listened to Marco Polo so maybe I remember it being better than it is :shrug: Pairing Susan up with another young girl in Ping Cho was a good idea at least, I thought)

I READ Marco Polo. Can't imagine it's a dud. Wish I could have seen the original; would love a recreation. Especially with the An Adventure in Space and Time cast just filming the lost bits -- the entire thing? -- rather than animation. But I'd accept animation. Hey . . . aren't we supposed to be hopeful now Mugabe's been deposed?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd like to think the Brigadier would consider 13 a chap, and a splendid one at that :)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jerusalem posted:

I'd like to think the Brigadier would consider 13 a chap, and a splendid one at that :)

has experience of being replaced by a woman. and that worked out pretty well

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Secret Santa is fun, I heartily recommend it (although I haven't filled the form in this year because frankly I have had enough of forms at work)

Bicyclops posted:

The only thundering dud is Marco Polo

I seeeeeeee

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sale on the Second Doctor at BF:
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/second-doctor-special-offers

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In 25 days the Capaldi era ends.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

CommonShore posted:

In 25 days the Capaldi era ends.

Let the Big Finish Capaldi era begin!

Although :ohdear:

quote:

When asked by an audience member if he’d return to the BBC drama for a multi-Doctor story, Capaldi said, “I think when you should go, you should go. Even when I was a kid I believed [the Doctor] was this weird and wonderful thing, so if he kept showing up all the time in Big Finish or in multi Doctor stories he was more available.”

He concluded: “I don’t know. Maybe. But not for a while.”
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-09-04/peter-capaldi-leaves-doctor-who-could-he-return/

BF also don't have the license for 12 (except for his eyebrows?) so it will be many years before we get more Capaldi, which blows as I really think he'd thrive on BF.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 1, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In the BBC’s defense, you really want your actors to focus on the TV show they were cast for and not something sub-licensed. Give them time, and we’ll get 12th Doctor Adventures in Big Finish.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm just catching up on this latest season but I was looking forward to reading J-Ru's reviews. But on the first page I only saw them written upto Oxygen I think it's called. Did you write more or have you been too busy? I understand of course if you are. I'm just a big fan.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
According to an interview with the Radio Times, Steven Moffat considered a female Doctor for #12 before getting “obsessed with seeing Peter in the TARDIS”. Reading between the lines, it looks like Moffat wouldn’t have considered a female 11 because 10 was too romantic. Can’t say I disagree with Moffat for that decision.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
We definitely dodged a bullet by not getting s female doctor written by Moffatt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spikeguy posted:

I'm just catching up on this latest season but I was looking forward to reading J-Ru's reviews. But on the first page I only saw them written upto Oxygen I think it's called. Did you write more or have you been too busy? I understand of course if you are. I'm just a big fan.

I was doing them alongside Lick! The! Whisk! in a separate thread but he had an issue with his laptop and had to take a hiatus. Since we're so close to the Xmas Special now I'll probably finish off the rest myself sometime in January if Lick doesn't want to pick up where we left off.

I have also been quite busy so I've also listened to far less Big Finish than I would have liked to, so I'm keen to get back into that as well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yay!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

King Plum the Nth posted:

I READ Marco Polo. Can't imagine it's a dud. Wish I could have seen the original; would love a recreation. Especially with the An Adventure in Space and Time cast just filming the lost bits -- the entire thing? -- rather than animation. But I'd accept animation. Hey . . . aren't we supposed to be hopeful now Mugabe's been deposed?

I have done collaborative work with a colleague who is in the enviable position of having seen it twice as a young boy -- once on original broadcast in England, and then a year or so later when his family had emigrated to Australia. He's given public talks and published on it; he is still moved tremendously by it, and considers it the best Doctor Who serial of all of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edward Mass posted:

According to an interview with the Radio Times, Steven Moffat considered a female Doctor for #12 before getting “obsessed with seeing Peter in the TARDIS”. Reading between the lines, it looks like Moffat wouldn’t have considered a female 11 because 10 was too romantic. Can’t say I disagree with Moffat for that decision.

From what I remember reading in a different interview, Capaldi was also considered for Eleven, but Moffat didn't want to completely change everything with the showrunner change; he wanted to show the audience that. yes, he could do the same sort of show that they'd come to expect. Then, once he'd definitively proven that he can do that, he went for a more daring choice for Twelve.

I respect the reasoning behind all those decisions, but I'm extremely happy that Chibnaill's clearly not worrying about the same thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He did an interview in DWM where he (Moffat) said he would've liked Capaldi to be the Eleventh Doctor, but felt he was "too old" to follow the Tenth Doctor. He gave the example that Tom's Doctor following Patrick's Doctor wouldn't have felt right, but with Jon in between, it flowed better. His plan was to cast someone in their forties, so if he was able to get Capaldi later, it would be a more natural progression.

Then Matt walked into that audition on day one and threw that plan out the window, though he conceded that Matt was utterly genius at playing a Doctor who could be any age, so it all worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Davros1 posted:

He did an interview in DWM where he (Moffat) said he would've liked Capaldi to be the Eleventh Doctor, but felt he was "too old" to follow the Tenth Doctor. He gave the example that Tom's Doctor following Patrick's Doctor wouldn't have felt right, but with Jon in between, it flowed better. His plan was to cast someone in their forties, so if he was able to get Capaldi later, it would be a more natural progression.

Then Matt walked into that audition on day one and threw that plan out the window, though he conceded that Matt was utterly genius at playing a Doctor who could be any age, so it all worked out.

Matt brought agelessness to the role - the old man in a young man's body. Capaldi channelled a bit of the reverse, which was a neat contrast.

• Locked thread