Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

remusclaw posted:

I'm a big fan of Tom Baker's neck snap from that re-purposed Avengers episode. I know the guy gets up after but in the gif that normally gets shown it's just the Doctor being a stone cold killer.

Quoted for love of stone cold Doctor. The "Man Who Never Would" did, or tried to do, several times. From Hartnell trying to brain the caveman with a rock to Davison popping caps into a de-armored Dalek, to C Bakes shoving a fool into a pool of acid for laughs -- The Doctor will gently caress your poo poo up if it suits his fancy. And all of Clara's index cards won't stop him.

My experience is incomplete, to quote van Gogh, but this thread has to be good for a list of such occasions. I have to guess Pertwee and McCoy ended dudes too. Actually I remember McCoy being pretty cold about obliterating Skaro. Even the new guys have had their moments. Except Smith unless I'm mistaken. But Capaldi's stock in trade was casual indifference to murder/death/kill.

Hey, I hope I'm not too late to the party but is there a Secret Santa this year? I love that. And I'll try not to be poo poo at it this year. I felt bad about my last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Holy poo poo, Tom looks *great*. Lost some weight, got the hair back, even his voice and general demeanor sound livelier to me. I hate to be morbid but, when people get to a certain age, you start to think " . . . well, any day now" and as sweet as it was to see him in the 50th and to get new audio adventures I kind of felt like he might be past his best. But this made me super happy.

Now, all I really want for Christmas, is a direct to streaming series, Big Finish Video Division, something -- doesn't have to be a big deal -- just a little show like The Sarah Jane Adventures built around "The Curators." Tom, Peter, Colin, Sylv taking it in turns mentoring young adventures from the halls of an impossible museum. Maybe the odd crossover with Doctors still in their prime during the midst of their adventures McGann-Whittaker). No rhyme nor reason to it, just this odd old man or that from episode to episode (as schedules and scripts permit). *sigh* "The shows in my mind are almost always better."

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 24, 2017

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Thank you for doing this. I never appreciated what an effort it was to coordinate before.

Unrelated but inspired, Are we going to need a new line besides "Splendid chaps, all of them" given Whittaker's Doctor? I really love all the Doctors -- despite grousing about some more than others, maybe. And Doctor Who taught me never to complain about an actor until I see them play the part. I did it twice -- McGann and Smith -- and ate my words twice as both became favorites. In hindsight, I've never seen a Doctor I didn't like at least a little (I like them all lot, really) so I don't expect Whittaker to be an exception.

I just mean -- I don't know English English all that well. (Am American; nobody's perfect) "Chap" seems an inherently masculine word. Is that right? What's the female equivalent of "chap"? Do we need one?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

This aggression will not stand

(Admittedly, It's been a few years since I listened to Marco Polo so maybe I remember it being better than it is :shrug: Pairing Susan up with another young girl in Ping Cho was a good idea at least, I thought)

I READ Marco Polo. Can't imagine it's a dud. Wish I could have seen the original; would love a recreation. Especially with the An Adventure in Space and Time cast just filming the lost bits -- the entire thing? -- rather than animation. But I'd accept animation. Hey . . . aren't we supposed to be hopeful now Mugabe's been deposed?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Capaldi. Capaldi, have you learned nothing from Tom? :smith:

Save it for Eccleston. At least we had multiple seasons of Capaldi. Capaldi has genuine affection for Who. I'm a mad fan of Capaldi the actor and Doctor Who the show but I'll admit I wasn't in love with the combination until the last season/series. Though, in retrospect, it was all good really.

But then there's Eccleston. :negative: I *have* to love every episode/story he was in (and I do. Regardless.) because they're all I have. 9 is my favorite Doctor. (Equaled only by 1-War and 10-present. Second only to Cushing.)

I would say Chris is a genius at "always leave them wanting more" but his choices of movie roles are so wretched that I see no strategy. I respect that, as an actor, he had differences with the then current show runners. Or whatever. But to keep from showing up in the 50th (even if we did get an awesome 50th anyway), to keep from reading audio books, to stay away from BF, is just being a prig for the sake of being a prig. The flaming abortion of The Dark is Rising wasn't a bridge too far? G.I. Joe validated your life choice to become an actor? Thor 2 was acceptable? As far as (other) TV (Heroes?!) and movies go, the man has no shame. The one "franchise" of his career that has some integrity? In which he truly distinguished himself as an actor and garnered devoted, appreciative recognition for his talents? gently caress that noise?

Whatever.

We'll always have Pertwee and Capaldi if we need to bask in the love of a "hardcore" Doctor. So you can eat it Eccleston.

I . . . may be bitter.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 3, 2017

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

I have done collaborative work with a colleague who is in the enviable position of having seen it twice as a young boy -- once on original broadcast in England, and then a year or so later when his family had emigrated to Australia. He's given public talks and published on it; he is still moved tremendously by it, and considers it the best Doctor Who serial of all of them.

You are awesome, your colleague is awesome, and I am grateful to have had this interaction with you. Doctor Who fanaticism is weird because we do have these gaps and some of it may only ever be subject to living memory and stories of same. I had no idea this was a thing. Years ago I went through a phase where I was determined to read the Target novelizations of every "lost story" that I could find. Marco Polo really did stand out to me from that attempt (for various reasons I didn't meet my goal) -- and it was underscored by the scene that it got in An Adventure in Space in Time,.

So thank you for posting this. Personally, it's super cool to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

It's alright, and he is good in it. But actors do not have an obligation to you to keep doing the same thing forever, and if he didn't enjoy being doctor who and can pay the bills doing something else then good for him

I know. I mean -- there was this whole "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch" thing years ago spearheaded (coined?) by Neal Gaiman. And I have zero investment in George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones and I rather like Gaiman and [long nerd screed redacted] I don't really care. Writers, actors, etc. are all people, just like me/us who make their own choices and I don't really fault them for much.

I was just riffing on my own personal fantasy world where whatever could be whatever. And Eccleston is an amazing actor who is great in everything he appears in (except Thor 2 which I recently read an article/interview where even he says he was sold short in that. But, if you haven't seen it, watch The Shadow Line where he stars with Chiwetel Ejiofor and Rafe Spall, among others, and it's all so goddamned delightful).

I mean I only watched GI Joe just to see him. And he was good even if the movie wasn't. So I'm fond of joking that Eccleston chooses his film roles based on a dare: "How bad can the role be before my awesome talents can't make a difference" (answer: Thor 2. But he's been brilliant in everything else I've seen him in regardless of the overall quality of the surrounding project.)

Just, given Shatner and Nimoy, I like to image that he could return to the nerd role from which he's become estranged. And given their arc -- and Tom's -- I'm just sorry it has to take so long. I'm American (I'm sorry. So sorry. Nobody's perfect) so I think of money first. Being The Doctor can't be hard for him - and it pays -- so why won't he do it? Of course, I'm thinking only of myself and not really or him. But [reasons]

So I don't mean anything by it IRL/professionally. I'm just some random, our-of-the-profession. dude,. commentator on the internet. I was just expressing my fantasy.

Edit:

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, isn't he a regular castmember of The Leftovers? Which is supposed to be REALLY loving good?

howe_sam posted:

It was yeah.

Apparently, I need to watch The Leftovers. Thanks.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 3, 2017

• Locked thread