Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Diabolik900 posted:

Aside from just being happy they went with a woman, I'm glad the rumor about them looking for another Tennant-type was wrong, not because I'd necessarily be opposed to another Tennant-type, but because it drove me crazy how quickly people latched onto that as if it was 100% confirmed fact.

well it's really believable.

My older sister is a big fan of the show too - and also, she's a hero to me, so I'm not talking poo poo here - and she got mad at how weird looking Smith is and old and cranky Capaldi was. Also, every woman who was a fan I've talked to has said that Tennant was their favorite. It's a really believable rumor because it feels like it's what a lot of fans would actually like to see, especially since people don't think that Chibnal's that much of a visionary.

Then again that's not saying the show couldn't be like Tennant's run in tone and actions. Maybe Jody will sword fight an alien in her first appearance. I'm just saying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
IMO Time Lords are like IDW Transformers

they don't actually know what genders are or why they have them and just sometimes form intense codependent relationships arbitrarily sometimes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Valeyard posted:

Bring back Captain Jack.

I really suspect that if anything else comes of this there's going to be some attempts at attractive male characters side characters like a new Jack or a Male River Song or Nardol Except He's Hot something

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Don't gently caress this up chris

Please.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
people can hate voyager and can say it's not because janeway is a woman
chibnall can suck and it will be his fault and not that the doctor is a woman if he makes an episode where the doctor evolves into a salamander

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Boys still have 10 other modern seasons with four male doctors to watch. And if they need something on the air right now... Well, idk what's on but there has to be something. Like maybe science programs.

I guess the doctor is somewhat as not just a pacifist protagonist but a super smart and curious one. As a lovely manchild, I can think of some modern cartoons with pacifist protagonists off the top of my head but they're not really like the doctor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SiKboy posted:

Has the bbc/nation estate "There must be a dalek every season" thing ever been confirmed or is it still just a rumor? In any case if it is a thing and they counted "Cameo in the finale" then they shouldnt have a problem with "speaking role in the first episode" of this season. If it is a thing I wish it wasnt, I feel like most Doctor Who villains suffer if they have too much repetition (See; Angels, Weeping and Silence, The), Daleks feel like more of a threat if they arent a thing he defeats once a year, every year.

speeking of weeping angels, one thing I'm surprised Moffet did not do, along with being the one to address the Valeyard thing as long as he was playing with regenerations, was make a "genesis of the angels" episode before someone else did.

maybe he'll still write one for chibnall.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Is 10 really more self centered and arrogant than 6

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
10's trick not only required a piece of himself he doesn't have (and new regenarations aren't present of mind enough to remember to immediately cut their own arm off so they can do later) but also ended up making an rear end in a top hat human clone ruining a companion's life.

There's lots of reasons not to do that again and an alternative way to not regenerate hasn't been described

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Eleven had regen energy to spare because of the continue he collected, ten was reaching the end of his extra lives

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's a little weird that the lizard both dates a human and still eats people, they were in some of the worst scenes and jokes (the "POND" scene from snowman still makes me wince), always felt a little more like ideas someone had than realized characters to me. It's been a while since the pre-Capaldi seasons, so I don't remember what else I didn't like about them.

Maybe we'll see them again, it's been a while since Deep Breath.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

corn in the bible posted:

people don't like them because they mostly only appear in crap episodes

There was the Crimson Horror though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's a good thing harmon and roilland thought of rick and morty before adult swim's live action department watched some old doctor who and did their own take

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean, the whole thing was a mistress/slave relationship, so whatever makes the two of them happy.

I happened to like the "one word" scene---especially Jenny's wide eyed "holy poo poo she's actually going to pass" encouraging nod on the last question.

it's well acted boisterous bullshit
It sounds like bullshit if you're listening and it ONLY worked because of a complete coincidence of the Doctor mourning someone literally named Pond, which know one else knew about. The entire scene feels like had a "clever" punchline and forced it to happen despite making no sense whatsoever.

Like if it's not bullshit and the writer knew it why has Vastra never made anyone speak in single words again.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If you believed that post and vastra's speech you would have expressed it in a single word

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

2house2fly posted:

It was cool how Slitheen wasn't their species but their surname, and I was annoyed Moffat forgot that when he mentioned them

no one actually liked them enough to memorize little details like that, even if they're pretending to appreciate whoever those fat farting aliens that are never appearing again are called.

(though the zygon two parter would've been a lot better if it was about the slitheen, at least it would be funny and it didn't really deserve better than them)

(not an invitation to another long discussion about zygon invasversion AGAIN just saying here)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
just make some other gamesmaster villain if you want a gamesmaster villain, it's clear that this story is not one anyone really wants to remember and just like the very loosest possibly concept of the villain.

and even that, in and of itself, isn't that novel a concept.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Burkion posted:

Wait what

*WHY*

if you don't want to watch the show, hbomberguy's "sherlock sucks and here's why" video goes through all the bad things that particular episode did and why it sucked. I don't remember the details but had the episodes on as background noise and even I thouht the Irene Adler depiction was pretty awful.

sherlock honestly holds up a lot less than modern doctor who does if you're paying attention and like mysteries, or care deeply about any character besides sherlock himself. At least Who is fantastical and about a lot more than how smart the Doctor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Isn't there a spoiler thread

• Locked thread