Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A good thread title :colbert:

I wonder if we'll finally get an extended version of 12's anniversary scene considering what a stickler Moffat is for continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fog Tripper posted:

Yar, I watched everything since the reboot all the way to the first few Capaldi. It felt like he was trying too hard or something. Just couldn't dig it.

Give this new season a shot. Capaldi was initially hamstrung by some really inconsistent scripts and a forced "am I a good man?" shtick. He's an absolute joy now that he's comfortable in the role.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

Capaldi has some of the best episodes of the revival, including Listen and Heaven Sent, so I'm sad that so many people missed out on him because the first half of his intro episode was a complete and utter mess.

His whole first season is an inconsistent mess and the series 9 episodes with Ashildr and the Zygon two-parter are some of the revival's worst. Even the TVIV threads have seen a gradual decline in activity during Capaldi's run. I love the guy and I love 12, but I'm almost surprised he isn't less popular.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a terrible shame that Peter Capaldi was wasted on Stephen Moffat.

It wouldn't be so bad if this was just a job for Capaldi, but he's clearly a huge fan that loves the role and absolutely deserved better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
While there's an argument for 12 being more Hartnell than Troughton, I'd hesitate to call him authoritarian. He's very much a punk Doctor, to the point where I personally would consider him a Troughton, albeit a much more serious variation on the style.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd argue 9 and 10 were both PTSD Doctors in how they allowed that experience to totally define everything they did after. 9 accepted it and became bitter, pessimistic, and staunchly anti-war. 10 tried to repress it and run from it and, when forced to deal with either the Time War or his own mortality, became childish and selfish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really like The Visitation and Black Orchid, they're what got me into 5.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CommonShore posted:

Well never know what a Peter Cushing doctor would have looked like :sigh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm honestly surprised Moffat hasn't done more with 8 given his love for BF

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Did I hear mention of Capaldi's hair?

We had it wrong this whole time. Peter isn't becoming Pertwee, he's becoming Tom. :stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Streaming is in this weird miasma of poo poo right now. Netflix continues to hemorrhage non-original content (the streaming library in the US is now under 4,000 titles; a few years ago it was around 13,000), Amazon's got the worst interface in human history (and can't catalog anything properly to save its life), and Hulu's just kind of ticking along with random things here and there because the networks realized, "Wait, why do we each co-own a chunk of one service when we can each launch our own service and get that sweet :tenbux: directly to us, instead of splitting it?"

And people wonder why I still buy physical media

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

After The War posted:

Thank you! And for the record, that's not an accurate representation of my DVD collection. I don't have every Adric episode! I'm missing... um... Time-Flight! That counts, right?

As someone who owns Time-Flight, I can safely say it does not count one bit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody else who also owns Time Flight, I'd like to say.... :negative:

Well at least it's got the Master being a huge dick for no reason while wearing a costume that fools absolutely nobody before taking it off to reveal to the surprise of nobody that it was a disguise :shobon:

I was getting serious deja vu during World Enough and Time, and I really hope his ridiculous disguise and accent was Moffat's sly homage to Time-Flight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love how (relatively) cheap Who stuff is in London. Hotel didn't have my room ready on time, so I killed an hour in Forbidden Planet and came out with Power of The Daleks, Nightmare of Eden, Time & The Rani (forgive me), The Visitation, and The Daemons for £8 each (~$10.50). All cheaper than their US counterparts (and Eden is OOP), and the only caveat is having to play them in my region free player.

Also picked up a 5.5" 12th Doc fig in his best costume; check trousers, hoodie, pink tee :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh what? I was just in there this lunchtime!

You probably walked right past me, I was there from 12-1ish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's actually me, that's why I'm in London.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Forktoss posted:

Here's some new bookie predictions that are completely and totally meaningless:

Jodie Whittaker has gone up a bit, which is interesting but still completely and totally meaningless.

I thought I recognized that name; she was Efi in the Entire History of You episode of Black Mirror, and she was in Attack the Block opposite John Boyega.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm irritated that Tennant is even on that list.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

xtothez posted:

I'm not sure I want to live on this planet anymore

I am hoping against hope that the rumored favorites are all wrong and the next Doctor will be an openly gay woman of color, if only to revel in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that it will cause among these lovely loving fans.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They'd better announce while I'm connected to wifi, or else I'll have to wait 47 whole wifi-less minutes on the train back :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well how 'bout that

Bring on the sexist tears :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Everyone's telling you to watch Broadchurch now, but watch Attack The Block too, nerds. John Boyega owns bones and so does Whittaker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Revenant Threshold posted:

It says a lot that, out of all the "DOCTOR WHO RUINED CUCKS PC CULTURE FEMINAZIS" reactions to this I've seen, not one yet has said "They should've had Kris Marshall."

I probably would have given up watching the show as it aired if it had been Marshall. If it had been him and the season was poo poo, I'd have probably taken a break for his tenure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can only speak for my father, but I do recall him saying that he doesn't really care about that kind of thing so long as the stories are entertaining.

Like myself, he only bothers with politics at all when elections are happening.

My dad's as republican as they come, but when the news was posting negative reactions to 13 his exact words were "She's already an immortal alien, what's wrong with her being a woman? What show are these idiots watching?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jivjov posted:

Much like with the 2016 Ghostbusters reimagining, I do worry about how criticism toward Whittaker's Doctor, Chibnall, Series 11 overall, etc will be taken.

I want people to be able to express disappointment with an episode without any disagreement being attributed to sexism. Thankfully today in the wake of the announcement, I've mostly seen trepidation based on Whittaker's actual acting history taken seriously...but I worry that "if you don't think she's the best Doctor ever, you're just an outdated misogynist" will get tossed around.

If you take GB2016 as an example, we can expect idiot fans to post incredibly negative and sexist poo poo on every single Facebook post that even vaguely references 13 for the next several years, including Halloween posts that show small children dressed up as their favorite character.

I love Ghostbusters, but the fan reaction to that movie was so asinine and downright embarrassing. It's one thing to hate a movie, it's another to extend that vitriol to anyone who dares to enjoy it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Paul.Power posted:

12's big grin does make me think of Tom Baker a fair bit :)

I'm sure it'll be great if Capaldi ever does Big Finish, but it just won't be the same because so much of Capaldi's performance comes from his expressions.

It's too bad the writing has been so scattershot during his tenure, the man deserved to break Tom's record.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Good: I now have a complete McCoy run on DVD :woop:
Insane: I'm three DVDs away from a complete T.Baker run :shepface:

Thanks to Brexit tanking the pound, this trip has been extremely cheap. So of course, I did the logical thing and bought 19 classic DVDS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hook up your old friend Jakiri again

Hopefully whoever I get for DWSS this year is in the U.K. because a couple of the box sets I bought have dupes. It was literally cheaper to buy the sets here than to track down the single releases in the US (assuming they weren't already OOP).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jivjov posted:

If nothing else, a female James Bond would cement the "it's a code name" thing for real.

Skyfall put that to rest unfortunately (Spectre too, to an extent.). Just another reason to forget that film ever happened.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm more excited for the new interior than 13's costume. We've had that console room for five years now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

Don't be ridiculous. They'd never introduce the Doctor in some kind of neon-colored sequin outfi-

Oh. Carry on.

That outfit really emphasizes Tom's bizarre skeletal structure. Should have been his final costume IMO

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

I wish he'd remembered not to wear it ever

The holey shirt, much like the hoodie, ray-bans, and tees, is actually cool and good. The only bad outfit Capaldi had was his original, and that was merely boring.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

I loved his coat. I wish he had kept that at least and mixed in a hoodie etc.

I like the crombie coat, but since you hardly ever saw the red accents that outfit looked really plain.

I hope they do something really different with 13, the long coat and slacks look has become the standard for three revival doctors now.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Bring back the question marks IMO

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

learnincurve posted:

Perhaps they will go in a completely different direction and have her utilise the Tardis wardrobe so she's always wearing local clothing?

The BBC budget circuit is broken, so she's stuck wearing the same outfit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gatiss' acting is the only thing more mediocre than his writing. Really wish he'd stop trying.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

Epic.

Is Mark Gatiss really playing a young pre-cyberman Brigadier?

I don't think so. The battlefield looks WWI-era, way too old for a Brig appearance. Depending on UNIT dating, Brig was born in the 20's/30's.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Pre-production concepts from Millennium Effects for the new Mondasian Cybermen:

Absolute perfection

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Maera Sior posted:

These are horrifying and amazing. As much as I wish we saw them on the screen, I can understand why they didn't go with them. I know we talk about children hiding behind the sofa, but something that gets this sort of reaction out of adults is a bit much for a family show.

I think it could have worked in the background of a different episode, but not in that finale where the design is going to be seen in close-ups for extended periods of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Missy never rubbed hamburgers wrappers on her face, so that's another improvement over the Simm Master

• Locked thread