Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I enjoy the idea of Russell T. Davies concocting soap opera-level twists to troll the next showrunner (she's pregnant!) via email, long after leaving the show. I'm glad it didn't make it in, though.

He's also been saying that he knows whom they've cast to play the Doctor, but he won't tell. He may be a giant, but he has the soul of a mischievous little boggart.

He probably hides the remote control when his husband's out and spends the next hour giggling. Not because he's home and looking for it yet, just laughing at how funny it will be when he can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Does "The Fivening" sound too presumptuous?

2 Five 2 Doctor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sean Bean, the other Northerner that Americans sort of recognise from movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

They almost kinda did this with Time and The Rani--when Sixie regenerated into 7, he was unconscious and seemed to still think he was C Bakes--but there was a lot of post regeneration mental instability in there, and it didn't last long.

Davison also did the thing where he mirrored the earlier Doctors at the start of Castrovalva, resulting in some awful impressions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I was raised by a Fundamentalist mother - I pretty much read Tolkien and Lewis repeatedly until I got my hands on Dragonlance. So I should be good.

No Drizzt? Or was a dark elf too sinful for her?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like that they had her in costume, but not, presumably, HER costume, just Peter's old coat and hoodie (which are, of course, slightly too big for her now). Plus, it's a nice spring day in the forest, as opposed to wintery and snowy. Like a metaphor or some poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I said this in the spoiler thread, but I think the only acknowledgement should be in the quick check every Doctor does post regeneration and should be relegated to a comment that's basically just "Oh. Oh! Well, about time. Anyway, wasn't I in the middle of something? Oh, right, [impending crisis]!" After that, she should just be the Doctor.

Yeah, she just looks in a mirror, goes "Huh, that's new... Oh, right, the Daleks!" *dashes around TARDIS console slapping buttons and levers*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually like the idea that Twelve DID regenerate in the snow, but because of that device where Bill saw herself as her own self-image instead of all Cyberised, that we see Capaldi through most of the Xmas special, maybe with One doing his usual "Hmmmm, what was that? 'Old man' you say, no, no..." shtick from time to time when the Doctor refers to themself as a dude until the reveal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: Leia's brief interaction with Rey is the only time she ever interacts with another named female character in any of the movies, so Star Wars passes the Bechdel test by default. :v:

Not how it works. The test has 3 criteria.
1. Piece must have at least 2 named, speaking female characters who,
2. speak to one another about,
3. somthing other than a man.

You literally cannot pass if you don't have more than one woman or if you do and they don't have any scenes together.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

n4 posted:

The Doctor definitely has a space dick guys. You know he hosed River like crazy with that thing

For 25 years even

The Doctor has always preferred to use their tongue when possible to solve things...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Thirteen hundred. They just shortened it.

It's like that planetary ring graveyard full of Ace Rimmers in Red Dwarf.

Made out of the best lovely late-90s CG that the Beeb could afford?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

And given how 12's sonic is as large as Eleven's in its extended form...

I just really, really hope they don't make Jodie's pink.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

What are the round things?

"No idea" - Every Guy On Twitter Complaining About Whittaker

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This whole thing has proved to me that people apparently can't recognise clothing if a person of a different build and/or gender wears it, thus rendering decades of "I can't go to the party wearing the same thing as YOU!" jokes moot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ha! It turns out that Alex Kingston was doing a Q & A at a con or something when the news broke, so the audience actually told her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Then wouldn't miss marple be female holmes?

And Jessica Fletcher is female Holmes BUT IN THE PRESENT 80s!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

On Detective tv I am exactly one episode into the Miss Fischer mysteries show on Netflix. It's a about a twenties Flapper who solves crimes in Australia, and it is pretty good so far.

Miss Fisher is real good for that type of mystery show, but I was disappointed when her Watson turns out to be her shy Catholic maid, and not the cool lesbian doctor from the pilot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

They have descriptions of the Doctor, companions, TARDIS, general style/themes of an era and then episode synopsis, with ways those things can be used within the game throughout. A few pages from the First Doc one:

I always like how they justify the Doctor being OP as gently caress in-game by basically letting him (or her, now) take the Nemesis flaw like a billion times to let them purchase all the other poo poo.

Also, the RPG books ONLY have the TV licence, so the 8th Doctor book has a massive summary of the TV movie, and then the rest is what other tabletop RPGs would call a campaign module. Specifically, one that's meant to run for about 12 sessions, one for each Doctor's era up to the point of publication.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, Eleven and Twelve both have moments of world-weariness but without the maudlin tantrum-like effect that Ten had (cue gif of Tennant crying in the rain).

The deleted scene where Smith tells Amy that he brings young people with him because he can't see the wonder of the universe anymore, but THEY can, and he gets to see it vicariously through them, is great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Vincent and the Doctor is probably 11's best episode, in his probably best season.

As of right now, Big Finish aren't allowed to do Capaldi's era, right? They only have up to Time of the Doctor.

I believe that changes the second Jodie appears on screen. The licence stipulates they can't do anything directly dealing with the CURRENT Doctor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

We are sadly 2 for 3 on Peters having lovely opinions.

While Capaldi is good and pure, Purves says casting a woman is "horrifying", and Davison is just oh so concerned about the loss of a good role model for boys.

Colin, however, remains a delight and basically went full Six on Davison for that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, James Bond is one of those characters that I think is so steeped in misogyny as an indelible part of the character that the best you can do is something like Atomic Blonde, where you take the same basic set-up and create a heroine in a similar tone and mold.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a shame they got so stuck on the stern, grumpy take on him for series 8. Too much trying to make him space-Malcolm Tucker, when Peter's so good at showing kindness and compassion. gently caress the Zygon speech, the ones from The Pilot and The Doctor Falls nail it. Even the one with Davros in series 9, where he talks about the Doctor being an ideal that he very occasionally is able to live up to is great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Him choking out "...and most of all, because it's kind!" to the Master is the big one for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I thought he was already in league with antisemites. Not necessarily an antisemite himself, but being fine with the language and memes of that bigotry.

He basically pulls the same poo poo a lot of them do which is "Sure I SAY racist/homo/transphobic/sexist poo poo, but I don't believe it in my heart!" which is a bullshit attempt to shift the argument from what one says/does to one's intent, or worse, to one's inner self. Because how the gently caress do we know what you believe or what you truly are inside, except by what you say and do?

I also feel like he's used the Mel Brooks defence that all 'comedians' who don't understand how Brooks' style of humour works (or that even some of that is iffy, like his stuff about sexual orientation) try to justify being racist edgelords instead of having real jokes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ephemeron posted:

Her appearance in the Name of the Doctor was rather well done, too.

That moment where the Doctor catches her hand as she goes to slap him!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I really like the scene in End of Time part 1 where he gets captured by that guy and his daughter. I mean the episode is terrible, but the Master up to that point doesn't even know that their machine exists. So he literally sees it, comes up with a plan on the spot, goes 'gently caress it, that'll do', and then wipes out the human race, laughing like an utter maniac the whole time.

It almost works if you think he came up with the pun and worked the whole plan around it in the same way RTD basically wrote a whole plot around it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, does that mean Gaiman called his version Idris because she's the TARDIS' id? That kind of makes sense, seeing as she seems to be just purely operating on that level for much of the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I only recently found out her husband is Jack Davenport of Pirates Of The Caribbean and Coupling fame which for some reason seems absurd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, apparently her and Jack have been married for nearly 20 years, so they must've been together during Coupling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

docbeard posted:

In the place of an empty quotation, I am writing these words.

Thirded by me!

I LOVE The Doctor's argument with the Cybermen at the start of part 2. "WE MUZZZZT SURVIVE!" "Why? To what end?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Being honest, the War Doctor is likely the oldest of them all.

The Doctor being '2000' years old or whatever is total bullshit, and everyone knows it. He just started rounding down after the War Doctor. Picked some arbitrary number.

2000 is the Time Lord version of 29 and the Doctor is just convinced they always look young enough to pass for it, no matter what regeneration.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the idea was that Clara was lost, with all the other versions of the Doctor dashing this way and that, with no clear single voice to indicate which was out until Eleven appeared to take her home.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

I do agree that racism can happen unintentionally. I don't believe it happened here though. Give me an example of a time when a black person was portrayed in a negative light, as a villain or flawed character where you DIDN'T think it was racist (if you can)--and I'll show you how somebody, somewhere could argue it's racist.

This is a circular argument, dude. You're basically saying because opinions on this vary, that no opinions can be valid. And you've been VERY firm on the 'it's not racist if they didn't mean to be' train which is also a non-starter unless you actually believe, say, the Disney people went into Song Of The South thinking "Gosh, we should totally portray those n*****s in a foolish, subservient light to put them in their place!". Very few people THINK they're wrong or set out to hurt others. And as Bicyclops said, no-one is trying to say that one mistake makes Doctor Who into A Bad Show That Is Terrible And Racist Forever! Criticism of this type is not much different than saying the set design was poor or the editing disjointed, while still enjoying the other parts of an episode. Like, I've been watching Futurama again recently and good god is there some really iffy transphobic comedy in there that I found funny 15 years ago, but cringe at now, because I've matured and learned, and even actually know some trans people, so the tastelessness and meanness of those jokes now comes off as offensive. That does not mean that every other joke or episode of the series is worthless, just that you have to go "Yeah, that was pretty bad, if they did it now, maybe do something better", just like you would if you look at anything that has flaws.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hypothetical:

Suppose a woman had been cast as the Doctor in, say, the 1970s or 1980s. Realistically (i.e. not unattainable Hollywood movie stars), who would have been a really good casting choice?

Diana Rigg is an obvious choice, I suppose. But I have a notion of Anna Carteret as well.

Joanna Lumley, obviously? :confused:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Well, it could be due to licensing weirdness from when BBC America began co-financing the show ... but Occam's Razor says it's just that Amazon can't design a GUI or properly build out a streaming database to save its life.

I genuinely have no idea why Amazon have not overhauled their streaming GUI in what feels like a decade. It's almost literally the worst one I've ever seen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

I think if you want representation, you have to accept that there will be flawed characters and some of them might fall into a stereotype. Unless what you're asking for is representation with perfect, always positive characters which make for boring drama.

This, I hope is unintentional on your part, but this argument gets used a lot to shut down criticism and discussion of these topics. I think this might be where the conflict is stemming from, because you're not trying to do so, but you're also regurgitating the same talking points that basically get used by people who use the terms 'SJW' and 'snowflake' unironically.

The goal is to both broaden representation to the point that there's all kinds of characters of all different types, so that one or two that match stereotypes don't matter as much as they do now when those stereotypes are a disproportionate amount of the characters from a particular group that we see. It's where trends tend to factor into it and you have to marry the micro to the macro. Yes, an individual portrayal of a stereotype may be relatively harmless or even justifiable in a given work, but if those stereotypes are ALL we see, then it's valid to speak up and suggest that maybe we could see some non-stereotyped characters.

There's a difference between having a bisexual villain who places value on money over human life, and having one who's portrayed as an indiscriminate sexual predator, for instance. Both are negative, flawed characters, but one is a harmful, pervasive stereotype, and the other is not. It's not about flawless, perfect characters that are beyond reproach. It's about not just using the same type of negative portrayal over and over.

You somehow jumped from one episode of Who and disagreeing that it depicted stereotypes to saying "well, EVERYTHING's racist if you look hard enough so you should just accept it" which is kind of going to rub some people the wrong way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

:lol: at you accusing me of "tone policing." That's you're entire argument. You frame everything I say as trying to shut down your discussion.

I know that racism can be unintentional. Don't be obtuse. But your argument seems to be:

1. Racism can be unintentional
2. If someone feels something is racist, their feelings are valid
3. Therefore if anyone declares something is racist, it now is and we must move on to discuss how it can be prevented in the future
4. If someone feels something is not racist, they are marginalizing the person who feels it is because of their position of privilige

You've set up an argument where it's impossible to do anything but agree with you, because anyone who doesn't is racist at worst, or ignorant and unfeeling at best--not as :smug: enlightened as you.

And your point seems to be sticking at #2, and presuming that if someone feels something is racist those feelings are NEVER valid. This is way beyond the initial episode discussion now, you're basically claiming that racism in media exists as an abstract but there's no such thing as a 'real' example.

quote:

But we DO see non-stereotyped characters in Doctor Who. Martha is a doctor, Mickey goes from zero to hero. Bill is awesome. You say Martha's father is a stereotype of a black deadbeat dad who abandoned his family--or is he an adult who got a divorce and moved on, and maybe it wasn't even him who wanted the divorce? And his girlfried is white--that's bad? Much safer to keep the blacks dating the blacks, right? Meanwhile Rose's father is a serial cheater and loser who can't hold a job and wastes his money on get rich quick scams.

Stereotypes are not ALL we see in modern media, which means that if you have a bisexual villain at some point you have to not accuse the writers of pepetuating a stereotype. You could argue that any villain who is an indiscriminate sexual predator is a stereotype--if it's a woman, it makes women look bad. If it's black, it makes black people look bad. In fact, I would go as far to say if you make an indiscriminate sexual predator villain of most any ethnicity/sexuality (besides cishet white male), somebody would be able to point to a bunch of tropes showing it's perpetuating a stereotype.

"Ah, once again we see the lesbian Chinese seductress trotted out again, rooted in white colonial fears and ignorance of Asian culture and women. Why did she have to be Chinese? Why default to making her a woman? Just another harmful stereotype."

And yup, you're trolling at this point. I cannot honestly believe you can be this obtuse without doing so on purpose. You cannot possibly actually believe that "Oh, but one time there was a non-stereotype on TV, so that makes everything OK forever!" is a reasonable argument that anyone would take seriously. You're actually trying to do the "No, it is YOU who are the bigot because you won't let people use racist things on TV" thing, and that's... You HAVE to be trolling. Especially as you seem to actually have misunderstood my original point.

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT YOU CAN'T HAVE NEGATIVE QUALITIES ASSOCIATED WITH MINORITY CHARACTERS! Hell, I think someone brought up Stringer Bell from The Wire as a nuanced character earlier, and he is. He is also a drug dealer and gangster. Those things alone do not necessarily make the character a reductive stereotype, only when those are the most prominent or ONLY aspects to the character.

...OK, let's try this? You've put the onus on the other side, so if this is a discussion, albeit a heated one, let's flip the script. Cite for me an example of a harmful racial/gender/sexual stereotype in fiction that you consider valid, but unintentional on the part of the artists?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 12, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OK, I'm going to clarify what I meant by valid stereotype because once again you're reading what you want into this, and if you do it again, I'm done and you're getting put on ignore.

The point was what is YOUR line for calling something a racist portrayal that the writers/actors/etc didn't intend? What examples do you consider it valid to complain about or critique (because, again, criticism does not invalidate good things. Kinda like Van Gogh in that one episode of Who!), because clearly none of the ones raises so far are permissable, so where, pray tell, are the goalposts for you? And if you go back to Talons Of Weng Chiang? Well, the counterpoint is that if you've never revised your POV beyond "literal yellowface" then... this may have been a discussion, but not one where you're any more interested in compromise than the people you accuse of brooking no disagreement.

It's pages of people explaining the current discourse to you, and you going "nuh uh!" and claiming we're not trying to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

That's an interesting one, since abortion isn't really a big political issue in the UK like it is in the US. None of the major parties want to ban or restrict abortion. Its rarely a topic of debate. I'm ignoring Northern Ireland.

So the abortion angle might be screamingly obvious from an American perspective, but personally it didn't occur to me until I read the discussion here. I can absolutely believe it wasn't intentional.

Also the egg is still stupid.

Well, none of the parties that SHOULD be major want that. loving DUP.

• Locked thread