Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MisterBibs posted:

(I'm not going to lie, I might've reacted with a 'holy christ she's pretty')

She's fantastically talented, I loved her Broadchurch, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what she can do as the Doctor, but yeah, that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

n4 posted:

I just rewatched the 11 -> 12 regeneration scene today and Capaldi's crazed stare immediately after regenerating is amazing. I love his expressions

https://youtu.be/4F84WapAH7M

"I'll always remember when the Doctor was me" is such a perfect line.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure.

Poirot = Belgian Holmes

Nero Wolfe = American Holmes

Lord Peter Wimsey = Posho Holmes

Sexton Blake = Action Holmes

Max Carrados = Blind Holmes

Mike Hammer = HUAC Holmes

etc.

Then wouldn't miss marple be female holmes?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Wow, I had convinced myself that Let's Kill Hitler was a mostly okay episode with a few groanworthy moments, but it is actually terrible almost all the way through, except for when Rory punches Hitler, or that other Nazi, in the mouth. It's New Earth levels of bad.

I remember River's little speech about gay Jewish weddings or whatever being moderately funny. And Rory socking Hitler then shoving him in a cupboard papers over a lot of ills, especially now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Eleven: Meet Idris, she's the TARDIS!
Amy: Did you make a wish. No seriously... did you wish REALLY HARD?

Amy and Rory were just the best.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd also forgotten that pre-fame Andrew Garfield was in that episode until I checked the cast to make that post.

I remembered he was in the episode, but forgot who he played. Shame he wasn't Lazlo because then I could've made a Spider-Ham joke.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Conversation has reminded me that this did in fact happen.

DARLEKS HAVE NO CONCEPT OF ELEGANCE. This is obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN19oHTv_Vg

The Cybermen and Daleks are both so gloriously bitchy in that scene.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sure anyone who thinks Marshall was robbed can take solace in the fact that Jodie Whittaker will probably be paid a lot less by the BBC than he would have been. :v:

I have no idea how much they hypothetically would've paid Marshall, but I did read that she's getting paid exactly as much as they were paying Capaldi. Though what she's going to do with all those old knock-knacks from the classic show I'll never know.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

donna was better than clara

Donna was better than everyone except Amy and Rory so you're not really going out on a limb there

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Chibnall? Nothing, no clue.

My only guess is that there will be round things.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue the point, but remembered that they kept Tennant but recast Colman for the American Broadchurch remake.
It probably was a mistake to keep Tennant around (especially because they made him try an American accent), they should've gone with an entirely different cast with Gracepoint.

This is amazing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Astroman posted:

DS Brooks?!

:swoon:

One of the highlights of L&O:UK and a truly great actor! Here's hoping it's true!

Was he the stand in for Lenny or Ed Green?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

For Americans... think if Craig Ferguson or Aisha Tyler was the new companion to get a rough idea of the sort of area this is in.

Can we get them, because that would be amazing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

What do you people think of David Tennant in his new role as Scrooge McDuck in the new DuckTales? Because I think he's absolutely brilliant.

New DuckTales was super fun and Tennant is great in it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/RattyBurvil/status/901162852131758080

Reminder, watch Legends of Tomorrow

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

As a bit of fun, I started imagining Doctor Who where all the Doctors are portrayed by Americans who very roughly correspond to their UK counterparts. Didn't get very far, unfortunately. So far I've thought of Tony Curtis as Three, Timothy Hutton as Eight, Michael Chiklis as Nine, Noah Wyle as Ten and Harrison Ford as the War Doctor.

Who else would populate the list?

Buzzfeed did this a couple of years ago, and some of their choices were inspired. The list for people who don't want to read Buzzfeed.
1. Burgess Meredith
2. Dick Van Dyke
3. Vincent Price
4. Gene Wilder
5. Kyle MacLachlan
6. Christopher Walken
7. Tony Shaloub
8. Jeff Goldblum
9. Nick Cage
10. Sam Rockwell
11. Donald Glover
12. Bryan Cranston
War. Harrison Ford

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 5, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The only celestials I'm all that interested in seeing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

One benefit of, presumably, getting a new companion is that whoever it is will never have known the previous version of the Doctor, which will spare us from at least some of that "you're not the Real Doctor" stuff

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Don't look him up, though, because there's that One Incident. He's possibly in the top 10 sitcom actors of all time, but oh boy did he make a terrible choice at that roast.

I'll take "things that would've broken social media" for $400 Alex.

And Danson is definitely a top ten sitcom actor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've got to say, it's pretty loving weird to rewatch Fires of Pompeii now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not crazy about it, mostly because I'm not a fan of capris. Especially high wasted ones. It looks like she's got them hitched up too high.

But whatever, it's not the worst costume.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eiba posted:

I like that it looks a bit silly. I was worried it would be too straightforwardly cool because they might be afraid of making the first woman Doctor too silly.

The Doctor sometimes pulls of traditionally classy/cool outfits, but I think their best outfits are the ones that take a kind of silly outfit and make them cool. Like bowties. Or eye-searingly garish rainbow coats.

It's really just the capris that bug me. The rest of it is fine. Like I really dig the suspenders and boots.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of all the back-and-forth going on, I really dug the implied dread and fear in,"What do you mean... one?"

God yes, that was the best part of the clip

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I just came across this snippet from an interview with Rachel Talalay, the director of the Christmas special, and it just so perfectly fits the thread's version of Capaldi

quote:

When it came to the regeneration in the Christmas episode, Peter has a big scene about it, as one would expect. And he and I spent some time alone on the Tardis, which is his place to sit when he wants to be quiet. We just sat there, in that space, alone, talking through that whole scene. Talking through in his happy space…

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Donna is great, even when she's in a story that isn't.

I'm almost done with season 4 in my own revival rewatch and I have to ask, does any companion get as ruthlessly, and unfairly, poo poo on as much as Donna? People are constantly running her down, she gets trapped in a computer, trapped in a dystopic hellscape, and then to top it all off she winds up exactly back where she started in a life she hated with a mother who hates her. Donna's great, but sheeesh.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Metaltron: Doc-tor? THE Doctor?
9: :aaa:

Along those same lines, I loved Sarah Jane's reaction when she realizes that Davros is in the Crucible during Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Just this pole-axed "oh gently caress this rear end in a top hat again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, isn't he a regular castmember of The Leftovers? Which is supposed to be REALLY loving good?

It was yeah.

• Locked thread