Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

This is in the front lobby of the Doctor Who Experience. I looked up not expecting to see it. It was....unsettling.

Related note, Mondasian Cybermen are creepy as hell up close. I think it's them smelling like latex hospital gloves, really adds to the visceral body horror feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Bicyclops posted:

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was The Others, although I didn't realize it until much later.

The first thing I saw him in was Gone in Sixty Seconds. It was a bit of a weird moment when I went back and realised that the guy who got a hard on for wood furniture, or whatever the hell his gimmick was, was the Ninth Doctor.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I absolutely love the way the "He will knock Four Times" thing was resolved, because it gets pushed right to the end where you're still focusing on the Master and goddamn Rassilon. And just when you feel happy that it's over and Gallifrey has been stopped... tap-tap-tap-tap...

Tennant's reaction to the knocking is my absolute favourite performance by him in Doctor Who. The sheer relief on his face when he realises he's somehow managed to luck his way into surviving again. And the moment he hears the knocking he knows exactly what it is and what he's going to do. That whole speech is so effective because he knows from the first second that he's going to end up in that box. It's such an amazing turnaround in a matter of seconds from 'I'm Alive!', to 'I'm hosed'. The one shot reveal starting with the close up of Tennant only adds to it. Goddamn I love that scene.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
It's going to be Federer.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

PriorMarcus posted:

I totally understand she's going to have it worse than ever but every Doctor has this happen to them. Smith the most of the revival.

I think I've heard it most for Capaldi to be honest, in the sense of being a fantastic Doctor let down by terrible scripts.

I didn't want Capaldi to go. For some reason it feels like he just got here, and this season in particular he really felt like he was hitting his stride. His run, somehow, also doesn't feel as 'important' as 11 and 10, which is a shame. I don't really know what I mean by that. Except maybe that End of Time, Day of the Doctor etc were massive cultural events, and Capaldi hasn't really had one of those. I'll probably define him by Heaven Sent.

Having said that, I'm so stoked for Doctor Who again. It'll tell little girls that they can be the hero, but probably just as important it'll tell little boys that little girls can be the hero as well.

I've also wrote the first short teaser for series 11:

Random Man: 'Right, so, sorry, is it Miss, or Mrs?'

Cut to Whittaker: '...Doctor' (Grin, cut to theme)

BBC, if you can just send my royalty cheque via post, cheers.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Fil5000 posted:

The grin on his face when he says "the chumblies" is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=385s

I love Moffat's reaction. He's just so happy to have found someone who's an even bigger Doctor Who nerd than him.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I'm probably being a bit unfair, but Moffat giving his friend title card billing in his final episode really rubs me the wrong way. But I also can't stand Gatiss so I'm biased.

Especially compared to the last two Christmas Special regeneration episodes, this seems really underwhelming.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Facebook Aunt posted:

and even some complaining in her earliest episodes that she was over acting...compared to Simm's Master.

Hahaha. I love Simm's Master, but I could have picked any random clip of him and posted it here in response to this.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Still genuinely my favourite scene in the whole series.

You initially think it's awful. Then you realise the music is diegetic, and it's the Master keeping himself entertained, and just enjoying the gently caress out of having made the Doctor (and the whole world) his own personal bitch.

Then it becomes spectacular.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I really like the scene in End of Time part 1 where he gets captured by that guy and his daughter. I mean the episode is terrible, but the Master up to that point doesn't even know that their machine exists. So he literally sees it, comes up with a plan on the spot, goes 'gently caress it, that'll do', and then wipes out the human race, laughing like an utter maniac the whole time.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Jerusalem posted:

- Lady Christina is a terrible, terrible character who the show attempts to draw a false equivalency with the Doctor - she has no depth, is morally repugnant and doesn't learn or grow in any across the course of the episode, and is then rewarded for her callous greed with a flying bus so she can go commit more crimes. This is somebody who steals national treasures to keep purely for her self because she's "bored" and thinks she deserves them more than the public deserves to have access to them - she's basically one of those greedy fucks who buy/order stolen art for their private collections, only we're supposed to see that as a fun and good thing akin to the Doctor stealing the TARDIS.
- There is the appallingly badly written (bordering on racist) old psychic woman who exists only to shoehorn in the "He Will Knock Four Times" arc.
- Lee Evans is awful
- The Doctor's big idea for the two survivors who have discussed their aimless lives is to toss them in to be redshirts in UNIT.
- They crank up the "ISN'T THE DOCTOR WONDERFUL :swoon:" stuff to the max, in a way the RTD seasons was often guilty of, in a way that Moffat also gets criticized for despite being nowhere near as bad.
- The barest hint of something different/fun is quickly sidelined. Christina takes control of the group as the "natural leader" and the Doctor is bemused enough to sit back and let her run things... except he then proceeds to just run everything/handle the group entirely on his own while Christina just follows him around doing what he says.

Now to be fair, the location LOOKS great and there are some neat ideas in there, such as the metal stingrays who feed on a planet, generate a portal and jump to the next point in space; or the fly aliens who need a translator to understand humans rather than the other way around, or the Doctor revealing he also speaks thousands (millions?) of languages even without the TARDIS translating for him etc. Other than that it's mostly just awful though.

While I agree with all of this, I think it gives the mistaken impression that anything actually happens in this episode. Which doesn't. Nothing happens. Despite it being about 6 and a half hours long.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Burkion posted:

Like even with, say, End of Time- that wasn't part of some grand scheme. The Doctor fell into his lap, he just happened to get his memories back, had the TARDIS all to himself, and then the drat thing got locked to two years.

That was Last of the Timelords

End of Time was when he randomly happened to find an alien medical device, said 'gently caress it, that'll do', and turned everyone into copies of himself and took over the world like 5 minutes later.

So yeah, your point still stands.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Davros1 posted:

Yes, but did he show up at someone's house to watch it?

https://twitter.com/DoctorSimeon/status/905817065893879809

Jesus. Why do I feel like he wasn't in the room when the picture was originally taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Say what you want about Murray Gold. But a lot of the individual themes during his run (Eleven's Theme, This is Gallifrey) have been goddamn stellar, and music's become an enormously large part of the show's identity and popularity. Hell, they even managed to put together a couple of half decent 'Doctor Who Proms' with it.

Post your favourite piece of Doctor Who Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRQapIdaMU (cleanest version I could find)

gently caress yeah. Break that wall you magnificent bastard.

• Locked thread