Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like watching Doctor Who and I would watch a new episode every week for the whole year.

I might rewatch the entire revival next, as I have a fuzzy memory of much of the RTD era. I still have quite a few reconstructed stories from 1 and 2 as well (the last one I watched was The Daleks' Master Plan). On top of that I'm going travelling for the next few weeks, and I think I'll take all of the humblebundle audios that I've squirrelled away for a rainy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I decided to start with Day of the Doctor, since it was literally the first story I watched and I've only watched it once.

I've already noticed two fanservice easter eggs in the first minute. This will be a radically different experience this time around.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok here's one continuity error/question in Day of the Doctor-

If 12 participated in the stasis of Gallifrey, how does 11 remember? Wouldn't 12 be the only one who remembers because he's the one farthest down the time stream?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

12 takes part in 11's scheme, presumably without showing up and telling 11 he was doing so.

So 11 remembers gathering all the other Doctors and trying to save Gallifrey, but has no knowledge that there's an extra TARDIS in there too. 12 remembers that he popped in to throw in some help just to make absolutely sure it worked, having gotten another few hundred years to perfect the calculations.

Of course the real answer is that it was a complicated delivery system for that amazing,"No sir.... all THIRTEEN!" line :hellyeah:

I guess that makes sense enough (e. meaning sense enough for suspension of disbelief in a patchwork show about time travel) because 11 still isn't confident about how Trenzalore will turn out, and knowing about 12 would confirm for him that he survives and gets more regenerations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd go for a combination of three and twelve I think. Can't go without Pertwee's swashbuckling:

The (somewhat shared) no-fucks attitude would play out in an increasingly ridiculous sequence of weird vehicles and gadgets.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Not the worst interpretation. I'm mulling over the possibility of a Pertwee archetype - Troughton and Hartnell didn't do much of the running and jumping and swashbuckling we see in later interpretations. 6, 10, and 11 all go down this path, while others - 5, 7, 9, 12 - mostly avoid it. There's the trickster axis and the swashbuckler axis, with Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, and Smith in the four corners.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I'm not even sure i'd go with that reading of Hartnell honestly, he's just as trickster-y/anti-authoritarian as Troughton, just under a less wacky exterior. He's the kind of guy that would cause mischief and blame it on somebody else while LOOKING like an authority figure, if anything

Well yeah, but this is the exterior. Maybe the "authoritarian-trickester" label isn't the best way to put it, but there's a certain gruffness vs irreverence at play, to the extent that I can see the pattern that he's working out here, even if I don't agree with every one of his characterizations. I'm thinking about 9 now.

There isn't a single iteration of The Doctor who wouldn't gently caress with someone because it was funny, given the chance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thexerox123 posted:

Have any examples of 5 loving with people?

Earnest question. I can't personally think of any, but I've only watched his run once.

Does his impersonation in Black Orchid count? I'm having trouble thinking of any, either. Damnit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And some of the acting is bad, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aliens of London was pretty fun on the rewatch, though the farts were still stupid.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

I'd argue 12 had a bigger PTSD streak than 9, honestly. From the very start with Rusty going :stare: at what was in his brain to talking about hating The Engineer (i.e. himself) to his repeated references to being a soldier, 12 seems to be processing that grief from the Time War now instead of suppressing it. It's made all the more stark when the Time Lord army refuses to fire on him because of his service record.

Maybe One helps remind him what it was like when he was young and idealistic, and that he has a chance at that again with a fresh regeneration cycle :)

12 had also just gone through the whole Trenzalore thing, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well never know what a Peter Cushing doctor would have looked like :sigh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We'll never know :sigh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dabir posted:

On the subject of winding up Jon Pertwee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EibXGG99Hmk

Pertwee's cloak in The Five Doctors is the greatest garment ever on the show, or perhaps in all of human history.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just finished my partial rewatch of Eccleston's season and I have to say that the good stories are really really good, and the others are entirely forgettable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Still think they should do a full year of having a different actor playing the Doctor every episode. Even between two halves of a two-parter. Get a bunch of people who wouldn't normally commit to a year or more of the show, but would be happy (or at least willing) to do a single episode.

No explanations, either. No regeneration scenes, no technobabble, nobody in the show notices or remarks on it in anyway whatsoever, no nothing. Just, one episode it's Dame Judi Dench, next it's Jürgen Prochnow, next it's [whoever]. Wouldn't that be awesome? And can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth over "canon" as idiot nerds try to reconcile it all? It would be glorious.

That's dumb as poo poo.

gently caress IT I'M ON BOARD

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What just struck me is that if the BBC does the pretty boy fanservice casting for the departed Tennant fans, we'll probably only ever see that kind of casting from here on.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SiKboy posted:

Has it ever been the bookies favourite? I'm honestly asking, I'm pretty sure Capaldi and Smith both were suprise casting (and int he case of Smith not many people even knew who the hell he was), but I dont really remember when tennant was cast if he was a name being bandied about beforehand. If the BBC publish an article saying "here are the likely prospects" then yeah, I'd personally be inclined to think "so this is a list of people it definitely isnt".

The bookie list is a list of people who are plausible enough to be imagined in the role but impossible so that the bookies get to keep the bets

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How many hours til the announcement? I'm traveling and can't figure out the time zones for the life of me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's no precise timeframe because it's after Wimbledon, and, y'know, tennis matches tend to last a variable amount of time. But the match will start at 2pm UK time, IIRC.

So the match starts in an hour or so?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks. I live in Canada and I'm in Malaysia right now and about to get on another plane and I can't even figure out what day it is. There's a chance that the announcement will happen before I go to bed!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

George Lazenby was a famous model :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm listening to Death's Deal and loving Catherine Tate's impressions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toanoradian posted:

I wanted Matt Smith to do audio stuff with Big Finish like Tennant did, but I'm not sure how much of his tics will translate to non-visual medium.

They translate well enough that Catherine Tate did a good and recognizable impression of him

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toanoradian posted:

She did? Where?

edit: also, Capaldi a big fan of BF?

On a big finish audio. phone posting and I don't have it handy but it's a 10+Donna story called the deadliest planet or something. She narrates the whole thing. A message from 11 for 10 shows up and she imitates him quite smartly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ford Maddox Ford?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My first viewing if Let's Kill Hitler left me only remembering the origin of River bits, which are great. None of the garbage bits properly integrated into my memory, which is probably an effect of binge watching.

Honestly, the "she's named after herself" bit is a good time. Someone should create an 8 minute cut version of the episode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

docbeard posted:

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances: Not a Cybermen story at all, but it is a story about out of control technology trying to preserve life at any cost and doing a generally rubbish job of it. It's also the best Ninth Doctor story by a considerable margin, so any excuse to watch it, really.

having just rewatched this season I disagree with this. Dalek is also very good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fil5000 posted:

RTD did whole season ones that paid off really badly too. Remember how Bad Wolf turned out to mean... Bad Wolf?

I found Bad Wolf unsatisfying.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

I've never understood why they do regeneration cliffhangers if it's very public knowledge the next doctor hasn't been picked yet, especially if it's mid season

like you would have to live under a rock to not know by now the next doctor is always accompanied by fanfare and mass outbreak of complaints

Just seems like it's cheapening the plot device. It used to be this super dramatic turning point, now Twelve is just tossing around regeneration energy because why not.

Idunno maybe I'm a sucker, but whenever something like this happens (during the Monks three-parter eg) I have a split second moment where I go "how cool would it be if they had cast a new Doctor in secret and we got a surprise mid-season regeneration..." and then it's just a worthless non-plot device.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched Love and Monsters.

1) I really like the "outside of the Doctor's adventures looking in" perspective and they should do it in more episodes.

2) The absorbtion monster is stupid.

3) The "oh my mother died that night" part is awful because any sane person would assume the Doctor killed his mother.

4) I like the human characters otherwise.

5) The resolution is stupid. Why would the doctor condemn someone to a living hell as a paving stone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

*Googles Ian Levine*

*click*

*click*

(Music video?)

*click*

:stonklol:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tony Selby is still alive. I could get behind an elderly Sabalon Glitz story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

This is the issue in a nutshell. This is why these arguments are always such a fuckarow (in fact, it's why they are heated arguments instead of discussion). Even people who argue points frequently suggest that the people claiming something is insensitive are doing just because they're looking to be outraged which poisons the well and honestly, is patently ridiculous in every way. Astroman does it directly below: insisting that literally the only way someone could find racism in the episode is if they are searching for it everywhere. That's the lack of nuance, and it's really, incredibly stupid to believe that five people who posted about it are just walking around all day looking for something to manufacture outrage about. You have to absolutely bend over backward to believe that is how anyone except for an extremely tiny minority of people are acting, and it is always arguing in bad faith to suggest it. Always, every time.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding or how racism works. Racism is not necessarily a mean-spirited klansman cackling merrily and deliberately reflecting his hatred through his writing. An accidentally insensitive character portrayal based upon stereotypes is a part of institutionalized racism and saying "It was racist" is not an incorrect statement. That there is a kneejerk reaction to believe that word ascribes intent is not the fault of the person posting it.

I read this in 4's voice because of your av.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is going in circles. Do we have anything else we can discuss? I was pondering 13's probable costumes or styles the other day, but that's maybe not even a great topic.

I think they'll dress her kinda like Susan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Action Man posted:

I just started working my way through Pertwee's run thanks to Britbox, and despite seeing some of these episodes before, I'm surprised by how wonderful Delgado is in "Terror of the Autons". It's so good, I think I might just watch through the entirety of Pertwee's run and move right into Tom since I've never watched an entire run of a classic Doctor in order before.

Pertwee's run is pretty consistent in most metrics. I've rewatched one of the episodes from his last serial 3 or 4 times on its own because it's fun to show it to my friends.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Criticism of this sort does two main productive things

1) It lets creators have a quick reminder that what they did wasn't cool, and that they should try to be better next time.

2) It keeps the discussion alive so that people can continue to develop better understanding of social problems and how they're perpetuated.

I watched Daleks in Manhattan recently and I can't decide if it's good or not. I feel as if the story would have been much easier to enjoy without all of the bad accents. The whole thing with the humans that are Daleks but they're really humans with tommy gun disruptors is confusing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

Well, you guys have given me something to do this morning. ...

Ok! I'll throw some of the ideas I had out there, too!

Earlier, I said "like Susan," but that was just really a wider point of reference. My first thought was that they were going to give her something feminine but not prissy or sexy.

The problem I have with the aviatrix costume is that it's a feminized version of a masculine style, a bit of a sex symbol (leather :whip:), and my not at all influential judgement tells me that's the wrong way to go on this (i.e. it suggests too much that 13 is just a crossplay version of a male character).

So I started looking up famous stylish women and ended up here-

The Audrey Hepburn casual look a) evokes the early series via Susan, b) is feminine but not erotic, c) is a reasonably practical style for an adventurer. If some iconic bit were added to it a la Tom's Scarf I think it would be a great costume with lots of room for minor variations between episodes and seasons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, dear. I didn't think of it like that. :(

It's still a fun idea for a costume, but this is why we need to keep English majors around :eng101:

Criticism is ok! It's a good thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Donna mouthing "on the internet" and making typing motions with her hands by any chance?

• Locked thread