Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cargohills posted:

Decided to listen to the Unbound story Masters of War, and after the first episode I'm just not getting why it's so popular. Maybe it picks up in Part 2, but if that's the case then they could have condensed the incredibly dull Part 1 into maybe a 15 minute opening.

Nothing about it, apart from David Warner's Doctor, feels like it couldn't have been done with minimal change in a main range Dalek story. Probably doesn't help that Daleks and Thals on Skaro is so incredibly boring compared to the Master in Hong Kong during the handover from the first story.

I was once like you... when I was on Part 1. Keep going. :allears:

And speaking of Sympathy for the Devil, does he only use Kisgart for his dead-on Ainley impression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Murderion posted:

What's a good jumping on point for 5? I've got Castrovalva and I've seen Earthshock.

The three Davison seasons are all pretty distinctive. His first is all over the place, but you can see some definite holdovers from the Baker years. His second has a lot of high concept, imaginative science fantasy, and is fairly distinct - I can't imagine another era trying something like Terminus or Enlightenment. His third is the dark, gritty stories we tend to associate with Five, with human exploitation and commodification as a central theme throughout. Davison's honest, incorruptible Doctor helps keep it watchable and from descending into Grimdark.

So it really depends on the kind of story you'd want to see. I'd probably recommend:

Season 19: Kinda, Black Orchid
Season 20:: Terminus, Enlightenment
Season 21: Frontios, Resurrection of the Dales (gently caress the haters)

I love Caves of Androzani and can talk about it for hours, but it really does work best as a capstone to the Davison era. Partly because it perfectly nails what Saward had been trying for, bringing sharp focus on the earlier stories' flaws, but also because it ties to themes running throughout his run, and his need to save his companion at any cost. Plus it will give you something to look forward to.

Speaking of flaws, this is the era that inspired my "keep in mind the story they were trying to make" approach - it makes it a lot easier to get past budget limitations, comical effects, strange edits, and BBC meddling. There was some really ambitious storytelling in these, and concepts that would be hard to portray even with access to time and money, making their attempts to do so with neither rather endearing. To me, at least.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

No spoilers for the new season of Twin Peaks please!

Wheat Loaf posted:

With John Craven, Kate Humble and Ed Balls.

:doh: I had been asked to turn out the light, so I was typing the dark, in addition to fighting to stay awake. The thread's been moving fast enough lately that I haven't been able to get timely responses in, so I felt I needed to finish it right then.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's the thing - Saward was influenced by Bob Holmes and wanted to write Bob Holmes stories, but he had his own style and formula, which boiled down to "there's a badass mercenary gunslinger type, the Doctor is secondary to this character, and everybody dies at the end". "Caves" is Holmes writing a story using this formula, but it works a lot better than most of Saward's own efforts simply, I think, because Holmes was a better writer than Saward.

Oh yes, Saward's longing to be the next Robert Holmes is palpable (and best chronicled by our own Forktoss), but I can't stay mad at him - at least for his Davison stories. As a response to Cold War resurgence militarism and corporatism, it's the kind of Doctor Who I like.

There might be an 80s effortpost incoming, but I should probably get back to, y'know, work work. :sigh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was in naval intelligence with Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee et al. during the war, wasn't he? I think there was an article about it when a bunch of files were declassified a couple of years ago; he reported directly to Churchill and Attlee, which is pretty cool.

And he sang all those reports, right? Right? :neckbeard:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, you saw it. It was one of those Blink-style episodes focusing on someone other than the Doctor and their companion, only they had one of the Silence as the protagonist. Even I can only remember it because I'm watching it again on my TV right now near my PC.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him on as the first Silence companion right up to the Christmas special.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Chibnall: In fact, due to BBC contractual vagaries, all of the surviving actors who portrayed the Doctor, including Tom Baker's wax dummy, are coming back, in separate TV shows. BBC programming is now entirely Doctor Who based.
Crowd member: What about those of us who don't like Doctor Who?
Eccleston: Yeah!

Hearing Rob Shearman talk about Eccleston discovering the classic series after he had already left ("why didn't you tell me it was good?!") warmed my heart.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

He preferred sports.

From that same panel, Shearman also patiently explained for us uncouth Americans how the BBC was considered "posh" and avoided by a lot of working class families during that era.

It did help put some Monty Python bits in prospective.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

learnincurve posted:

You were a sad lonely child if you were not playing cybermen and Daleks with all the other children though.

You could, indeed, grow up to be a creepy motherfucker.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And people wonder why I still buy physical media

From two threads ago, but I had fun making it, so...

And I just found out I posted that on my birthday! :toot:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Happy birthday whatever day it was you posted back then that one time!

Man this would be a lot easier if I was the Doctor....

Thank you! And for the record, that's not an accurate representation of my DVD collection. I don't have every Adric episode! I'm missing... um... Time-Flight! That counts, right?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Not an empty quote! I'm still torn between which is the better Cyberman story - Spare Parts or Tomb of the Cybermen. I would have loved Parts if only for one of my favorite Five lines.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

So it's agreed and 100% confirmed, Idris Elba will be cast as both the Doctor AND James Bond.

In other words...

Idris Elba confirmed as the new Number Six! :neckbeard:

Really, though, I respect his approach to establishing new roles rather than picking up ongoing ones. I know, in this thread of all places...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I'm kind of hoping we go back to the days when there was more than one companion. It lets them have their obligatory "person from our year to sort of be an audience stand in" while also maybe having someone from the future. Plus, Nardole really added a lot this season.

By this point in the original run, there had been already been periods of just future companions, just historical, and all the mixes and permutations possible. :(

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy posted:

I have to admit that the idea of a woman as the Doctor seems strange to me but I'm not drowning my keyboard in tears as I type this. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm an old stick in the mud who is used to his old set routines and probably doesn't adapt as well to change as other people.

Sometimes I feel the same way, and have trouble getting my head around the idea that there are Doctors after Sylvester. :glomp:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

That awkward moment when the Doctor's been driving like a woman for over 2300 years...

We've been prepared for this moment ever since 1967 and it's our own fault for not listening

"Now, this is important. If the spring on Fast Return switch gets stuck, you're going to - look, would you pay attention?! No, you know what, gently caress it. Getting crushed in the Big Bang's too good for you."

Doesn't even make it three serials in before forgetting that one. :laugh:

Fil5000 posted:

Oh god he's going to do a mysogenistic charity single. With exactly as many famous people involved as Doctor in distress had.

"No Doctors in Dis Dress" :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Buml0r posted:

I thought Rey was the result of a (welcome, but) new-fangled decision to give Star Wars a female hero for the longest time, but then I remembered Leia is already shooting Stormtroopers with a laser gun long before Luke or Han ever appear onscreen, and our Bloke Brains just write over it somehow.

Leia got to do less and less over the course of the original trilogy, unfortunately, going from "gently caress your lovely rescue, I'm taking over" to ~emotional connection with teddy bears~*. Tanya Huff (I think) wrote an essay about it, not sure if it's online, though.

*And I'm a lot more forgiving of Jedi than most people are any more.

After The War fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 16, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Already disappointed in Chibnall's new villain. :(

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Craptacular! posted:

even further back when it comes to "can you see a woman as a rogue time lord like The Doctor".

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

<- The only Doctor Nude that should ever be posted is this one over here.

Speak for yourself!

Hot Doctor-on-Doctor action! :circlefap:

EDIT - Uh oh, there's an arrow pointing at my av!

After The War fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Do they have Urgent Calls? It's still my go-to for starting people out on both the audio format and Six worship?

Plus, it's short.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Maera Sior asked me to post this:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DancingShade posted:

bright neon pink dress with sequins and glitter

JNT account spotted.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Is it Brewster that's the problem or the stories he's in? Because the only one of his I can remember liking is Industrial Evolution.

With Brewster, they really seem to have trouble telling the difference between "morally dubious scamp" and outright villainy. He should be, at worst, like a Victorian Quark, but his schemes approach Delgado Master-level destruction. And they always end like this:

Every Thomas Brewster story posted:

:rant: That's it, Brewster, I've had it with you! You've caused countless deaths, damage to the timeline, and left the city a wreck! Solely for your own personal gain!

:colbert: Really, Doctor, are you two that different? Now hug it out.

(While the Doctor is flabbergasted, Brewster steals the TARDIS. Again.)

:rant: BREWSTER!!

:colbert: He's just a confused kid! He'll straighten out, let up on him!
(repeat)

:psyboom:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

Now we need take the Series 8 episodes and photoshop Series 10 Capaldi's hair onto the Doctor

Then give it a snarky scottish accent and have it provide running commentary for the series

Capaldi's hair confirmed as 13's first companion?! :neckbeard:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

Other than the whole "but what about a role model for boys!!!" thing.

He looks so much more like grandpa Patrick, now. :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

If it's a Christmas episode set in WWI, then we're probably going to be visiting the battlefield where both sides called a one-day cease-fire for Christmas. I don't know where that was exactly, but I know the British were one side of it. That's a pretty fantastic setting for a Doctor Who episode, I think.

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast series on WWI, "Blueprint for Armageddon", and I may have just had a "I'm not crying, you're crying" moment when he got to the Christmas Truce, just this Friday.

May have. While driving.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

toanoradian posted:

Like in Rocket Man, where his way of defeating the enemy is mostly letting his companions handle the enemy for a bit while he improves on the city's defense systems. Then again, maybe that's just that specific Companion Chronicles, but man, I love Rocket Man.

Rocket Men was one of those that would sound really dumb if you were to describe it, but turns out excellent. It's an interesting thing you get with the first Two Doctors Companion Chronicles/Lost Stories/etc., where it's very much the subject matter of their era, but with better structure, characterization, and worldbuilding. The Oliver Harper ones were like that as well.

Also, Rocket Men had Ian finally admitting his feelings for Barbara. :3:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, but he's also the Doctor who tried to win Cybermen over on the whole "emotions" thing, and look how that turned out.

I mean, aside from the killing Adric part, of course.

EDIT - Holy poo poo, I can't believe I only just now realized this was a grammar pun. :doh:

2house2fly posted:

You may be A doctor, but I am THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say.

I'll go return my English degree now.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 24, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It's not so much a pun as what the idiom actually means. I'm pretty sure it's for literally stressing that the indirect article is inappropriate because your subject is far too specific. That is, I don't think there's supposed to be a defined article you're comparing something to*. The lines are kind of redundant as they are, which is why I prefer the "The original, one might say!" wording.

"Reference" would probably have been a better term than "pun", but it was late, and I don't think it was any deeper than "in English, the definite article is 'the'." Still, that took me too drat long.

Fil5000 posted:

It's not like Angela Bruce wasn't available, she's been doing the circuit of Doctors, Casualty and Holby City as different characters for the last twenty years.

And let's never forget:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cargohills posted:

Why are we spoiler tagging Human Resources but not The Harvest?

There are certain audios we just do that for, no matter how old. Looooooorrd Niiiiiiiimooonnnnnn in Seasons of Fear, for instance.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

Blame the fact I think differently than most people and don't go out of my way to look for the bad in everything

This needs to be mentioned, since it's not part of the OP any more:

The First Rule of Doctor Who Fandom posted:

No fans will ever be able to substantively agree on an episode/Doctor/companion/whatever's qualities or lack thereof.
Corollary: Therefore, every opinion, no matter how incomprehensible you may find it personally, is held by someone.

The corollary is my own addition, but I feel it's a necessary thing to spell out. This is a very broad franchise - lots of people are guaranteed to hate something you like, and you're going to loathe something lots of people adore.

This is a series with flaws, always has been, and always will be. A big part of being a fan is knowing which are going to bother you, and which you'll accept. The same goes for the aspects that you do like, as well as your own internal calculus for balancing it out. For my part, I'll go to bat for all twelve (no sir, all thirteen!) serials of seasons 20-21, even Warriors of the Deep for chrissake, because the underlying themes of that era resonate with me and the kind of storytelling I connect with.

In general, treating criticism as a personal attack is going to keep you from engaging with media of any kind, but with Doctor Who, it will make communication with other fans impossible.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've been going through the Seventh Doctor era stuff, and I've gotta say, I like the one where he takes a cruise vacation to Mexico with Benny and Jamie :v:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Even "The Twin Dilemma?" Because, yow, that one is ROUGH.

The Twin what now? I said all 13, from Arc of Infinity to Caves of Androzani, and that's the end of the season.

The end of the season. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

Man, why am I watching Warriors of the Deep instead of rewatching The Curse of Fenric for the hundredth time

Eric Saward has transferred money to your account.

Oh, you should definitely keep exploring the era.

:homebrew:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

The Tangerine Dream-style theme is loving amazing.

I keep trying to make stuff like this, but it always comes out sounding like a third-rate educational video about planets. But more importantly:

DoctorWhat posted:

bring back the middle eight, cowards

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

As an American...you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It boggles my wife's mind when sometimes I'd rather hop in the car and drive somewhere hours away and take the non-highway route than get on an airplane or take the Interstate. Going from Washington DC to Orlando Florida without touching I-95 is one of my most treasured memories because you see places like that at the side of the road and wonder what kind of stories take place wherever you aren't at any given time.

Cobi, have you seen the film Near Dark? It combines both halves of your post, and is fantastic. Okay, there's kind of a deus ex machina ending, but look what thread you're in.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I was going to say "80s middle 8 supremacy, come fight me like a Myrka, bro", but the fact is I love them all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyUZUqTqcE

Splendid bridges, all of 'em.

EDIT - The Ron Grainer arrangement would use it to take a break from Pertwee punching people to show ladies dancing in very 70s getups, or maybe quick zooms on the supporting UNIT cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8&t=63s

After The War fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 1, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

a two hour long synth fart

Kindly stay out of my "works-in-progress" folder.

EDIT - Speaking of synths, GeorgeC put up another another one today with great art (I need that on a shirt) and even put a little of the Tenth Planet speech in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7bdxX6uMss

After The War fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dabir posted:

I think we can find several novels written by very sweaty men to contradict that!

Yeah, but it's in the goddamn episode titles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to google this look to remind myself what it looked like but there were enough of the sexy Halloween versions in image search that I had to roll my eyes and close the tab.

Well, you guys have given me something to do this morning.

Amelia Earhart, 1928. Picked this one because of long coat and tie. I got nearly got fooled by some cosplay shots, but you can tell those by how tight they are. Real pilots needed something they could wear for hours and move around in, since they were also their own mechanics.

(American goddamn Hero Harriet Quimby)

Couldn't find as much crossover with the "Gal Reporter/Adventurer" pulp era as I wanted, I probably wasn't using the best search terms. I did find some non-pulp stuff, though:

By the 40s, even before WWII, the look is more uniform and less iconoclastic, so not as Doctor-ish. But really, I just wanted an excuse to upload this one by Harry Grant Dart of "Why Not Go to the Limit" Awesome Ladies Smoking Bar fame:

(That link also has a clearer of the above pic, but I wanted to show the whole cover.)

Okay, now I can go to work with a clear conscience.

• Locked thread