Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

This game was released in 1990. As of right now that's 27 years ago. Wow! It was even made by Nintendo and it was only ever released in North America and Europe, though, the game never got translated from English. It's an action adventure game starring Mike Jones, ace pitcher and all around rad dude who got an invitation from his uncle, Dr. J, to come on over and visit him on C-Island. Over the course of our adventure we'll travel to various other islands too and venture into the depths of caves. Some might say the game is reminiscent of Zelda because you also have to make use of various items you find to succeed in this test of island courage. Now the game is mostly known for its copy protection and I actually purchased a cartridge with the manual and everything to show that when it comes up.

Along with my mainly informative videos I'll post various supplemental materials, such as scans of manual pages. Mostly stuff found on this page. If you wanna take a peek ahead of time that's fine, of course. But be aware that while the manual itself only spoils stuff up to chapter 5, the actual guides posted there go right until the end of the game. Just in case you're worried about spoilers. I'll only be posting relevant parts for each episode. To celebrate the completion of the LP I also streamed a playthrough of Startropics 2 that is linked to at the end.

While this game is old enough to not worry about spoilers, it's also old enough that many people may not have played or even heard of this game, so I ask you to put everything we haven't seen yet behind spoiler tags and avoid turning your posts into CIA documents. Thanks!

Preemtively Answered Questions

Q: Wait, I thought you only LP'd grimdark fantasy and lovely wrestling games?
A: Sorry, can't hear you.

Q: You know someone somewhere already did an LP of this game, right?

Q: Do you have bananas in your ears?

Q: I find the enlarged footage at the sides of the video disorienting, can you fix this?
A: Sorry, can't... okay okay. There's a little 4:3 graphic on top of the episode banners, that'll take you to a playlist of the videos in fake 4:3 in addition to the regular ones, meaning I can continue with my flawless artistic vision and you get to not see it.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Ooops, you went too far, there's nothing here but death.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 13, 2017

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Let's begin our adventure! Below you'll find various pages from manuals, Nintendo Power and so on. You'll find that back in the old days manuals had a lot more charm than they do now. And it's quite interesting to see these old issues of Nintendo Power that tried to guide the player through the game.

Manual

Nintendo Power

[

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 7, 2017

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

When last we left we were on our way to save our uncle by aimlessly going some random direction with our submarine. Now dolphins appear. Cool.

Manual

Howard & Nester Comic

Nintendo Power Walthrough

Nintendo Game Atlas Map

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Iunnrais posted:

Personally, I think it's fine, but then again, static images on the sides wouldn't bug me either. Definitely keep up the thing where you stick images from the manual on the side at relevant points though. That's a nice touch.

The real reason for me going 16:9 is that there will be 16:9 footage later and I for some reason value consistency between videos way too high. I personally prefer just having an enlarged reference of the game itself fill the bars as I think it's pretty elegant. But the reason I'm not changing that is also that I want to be consistent.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Decided to check out this thread after seeing the GDQ run of this game the other day.

In your first set of scans from Nintendo Power, one page appears twice while some other page seems to be missing.

Ooops, that sailed past my radar. Should be fixed now. Thanks!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Since it seems to be bothering quite some people here's a thing.

I know it says 4:3, but it's fake 4:3 (it's the video without anything in the margins, except the occasional snippets from the manual)

Wow! I've done it!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

So we crashed our ride. Time to walk it off.

Manual

Nintendo Power

Nintendo Game Atlas

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

In order to find a way to dress in drag we need to find a magic crystal ball in a graveyard? Checks out.

Manual

This is the last manual page showing enemies. From here on out we're on our way into the unknown.

Nintendo Power

Nintendo Game Atlas

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Today we will finally finish the beast that is chapter 3 and we'll be able to move on to new things. Like chapter 4.

Nintendo Power

Nintendo Game Atlas

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Probably the worst chapter in the game. But we'll also get to see an unboxing video of a 1990 video game, so it's all good.

The Wet Letter (transcript)
Mike,
I found some strange ciphers in my last voyage.
Since then, someone has been watching me! I put
a tiny transmitter in my shoe
It's Frequency is 747 MHz.
Perhaps I worry too much, but better to be safe
than sorry.

Nintendo Power

Nintendo Game Atlas

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

There's a ship in our way and we need to get it out of the way. It is somewhat unclear to me how what we do removes the ship but I'm sure it'd make sense to me if I hade more of an imagination.

Nintendo Power

Above you get to see the Nintendo Game Counselor profiles found at the bottom of two of the pages of the Nintendo Game Counselor Corner. Please tell me which one is your favorite Game Counselor. Just going by taste in games it's probably Gayle, Josh or John, but boy am I torn.

Nintendo Game Atlas

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 24, 2017

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

On to chapter 6, getting close to Dr. J. By just kinda riding our submarine around the ocean a bit.

Nintendo Power

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

We're gonna fight using ***** to find your uncle!

Nintendo Power

Game Atlas

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Are you going to be playing the Sequel too?

I'm not gonna LP it but I've kicked the idea around that I'll stream it after this LP is finished.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Okay, so we found our uncle. Time to kick some alien butt!

The proper Nintendo Power walkthrough ends after finding Dr. J, so no more of that, unfortunately. The remaining Nintedo Power Coverage, found below, isn't quite as comprehensive. Not that the actual walkthrough was worth too much by modern standards. But below is what's left.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

Man, we are giving and taking tremendous amounts of damage. What's a potion heal now, like one hit?

Five hearts. So about a hit and change.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

This is the final episode. Do you still got bananas in your ears? Be sure to get them out by the end of this post to make sure you hear my announcement about the Startropics 2 stream(s) I'll be doing.

(pictured above, image I wanted to use as an end card to the previous video but I forgot to record audio to go along with it and couldn't be bothered to do that after already rendering the video)

As mentioned at the start of the post I will be streaming Startropics 2: Zoda's Revenge On my twitch. I'll be doing so on Saturday, 12th August at 21:00 BST (GMT+1) / 15:00 GDT (GMT-5) click here to see what this means in your local time. I don't know if I'll beat the entire game in one sitting, I kind of doubt it but it's not impossible. However, if I don't manage to play a video game for five hours straight I will play through the rest of the game another time. I will announce when I go live in this thread. As well as probably on twitter and wherever I can justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The stream is already live but we'll begin in ten-ish minutes. Come hop on in! https://www.twitch.tv/iggy_igsen

E: And done! Here's the VOD (No sound at the start for some reason, it sets in in time for gameplay, though). I'll also slice it into smaller chunks for easier viewing at some point sooner or later but if you wanna watch the whole thing now but couldn't be there at the time the VOD's the way.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 13, 2017

• Locked thread