Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zeroisanumber posted:

They dismissed the entire training class of FSO's, telling them that they aren't needed.

I really hope the rubles burn a hole in their pockets. This is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zeroisanumber posted:

They dismissed the entire training class of FSO's, telling them that they aren't needed.

Source?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so Maddow is reporting fake leaks in her mailbox, the documents were using metadata copied and pasted from the Reality Winner leaks.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/maddow-to-news-orgs-heads-up-for-hoaxes-985491523709

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Not quite the 'entire training class' (Unless I'm forgetting some other story, which is entirely possible, this is just the one I remembered), but still pretty fuckin' bad.

However, it looks like they did reverse this decision after massive protests at State.

Christ, everything involving State, and indeed everything else in the Federal government right now, is such a shitshow.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

While the lack of senior political appointees has gotten a lot of attention, less attention has been paid to the hollowing out of the career workforce, who actually run the department day to day. Tillerson has canceled the incoming class of foreign service officers.

Present at the Destruction: How Rex Tillerson Is Wrecking the State Department

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A lot of this is still a consequence of the total clusterfuck that was the Trump Transition and his demand of drat near absolute loyalty for any new hires. Either due to him hating people, or people hating him, he has a kiddie pool's worth of talent to pick from.

A classic brain drain, either by choice or by chance.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

He probably told everyone he'd be staying at the Weißes Haus

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

A lot of this is still a consequence of the total clusterfuck that was the Trump Transition and his demand of drat near absolute loyalty for any new hires. Either due to him hating people, or people hating him, he has a kiddie pool's worth of talent to pick from.

A classic brain drain, either by choice or by chance.

I feel that there might be a quote from a prominent Republican that addresses exactly this ideology. Something about only wanting to make government small enough to drown in the bathtub. If only I could remember it and any pithy, destructive phrases based on it like "starve the beast" that may have become one of the guiding principles of the entire organization.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

So what you're saying is that work makes you free?

I see what you did here and I just want to let you know that I appreciate it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Supposing we survive this it's going to take years to fix this. It's going to be enough of an effort to dislodge anyone evil and incompetent enough to meet Team Donnie standards. Then they'll have to lure back qualified people who aren't going to trust in the stability of a government job anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Supposing we survive this it's going to take years to fix this. It's going to be enough of an effort to dislodge anyone evil and incompetent enough to meet Team Donnie standards. Then they'll have to lure back qualified people who aren't going to trust in the stability of a government job anymore.

I'm already picturing the screaming fits of Republicans over each and every Trump crony the new President attempts to purge.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
My personal conspiracy theory is that all of the major components of the Republican platform have been unknowingly corrupted by the Russians playing the long con in an attempt to destabilize the US.

For example Republicans want to repeal the ACA. Their proposal is vastly unpopular and is essentially a handout to ultra wealthy at the expense of the entire nation. The Russians support this measure because over the long term it will decrease the readiness of the US Armed Forces. The majority of the Armed Forces comes from the poorer demographics that will be affected most by the change in law. Which means the children that are going to replace us will grow up without health insurance. They will receive less preventative care, are more likely to be obese, and have a much greater chance of having disqualifying pre-existing conditions that prevent them from being able to serve. Poisoning the air and water falls along the same lines.

You can look at the desired education reforms in the same light. All of the peer reviewed analysis of the voucher programs, etc, have shown that they have worse outcomes than public schools. The Republicans focus on non-issues like transgender students using bathrooms and prayer in school to distract from them gutting education programs. In return they get a new generation that is a bit dumber than the last and easier to control. As a side effect we end up with a work force that is lacking in education and unable to fill all the technical positions necessary to remain an economic powerhouse. In the past we have supplemented this shortcoming with foreign students and workers. However, with reduced funding to public universities and the strong anti-immigrant sentiment it will become increasingly harder to attract the necessary talent.

Even hating the gays is a Russian thing too.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Or you could just attribute it to the rich and powerful want to be more rich and powerful. If you've lived life without having to worry about others why should you start now that you're a public servant?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Pence visited NASA and it went about as expected. :downs:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
With all of those artifacts it's hard to tell if that is a shop.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Caconym posted:

Pence visited NASA and it went about as expected. :downs:

Space travel is a lie, because God lives up there.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ded posted:

With all of those artifacts it's hard to tell if that is a shop.

I screenshot and put it on imgur to avoid hotlinking, I should have linked as well. But it's real I'm afraid.

https://twitter.com/StephEvz43/status/883210523570917376

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Caconym posted:

I screenshot and put it on imgur to avoid hotlinking, I should have linked as well. But it's real I'm afraid.

https://twitter.com/StephEvz43/status/883210523570917376

:sad:

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

joat mon posted:

Is there any evidence out there to support the theory that Trump had to turn to Russia for investment money because he had burned all his bridges with U.S. sources of money?

Only his own son saying openly in front of TV cameras, before the presidential run, that a largely disproportionate amount of money was coming in from Russia.
“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” Trump Jr. said at the time. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia."

Then there's this:
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/eric-trump-russia-investment-golf-course

The accusation that he's blackballed from US banks due to his multiple bankruptcies and lovely business dealings was from the Wall Street Journal.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 7, 2017

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Even if it's not chopped, it says :airquote: Do not touch :airquote: so how are you even supposed to read that. To be fair.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

They should just put a WWII-era pin-up girl on all the parts they don't want Mike Pence to touch or even look at.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bunch of rumors swirling around right now that CNN, Washington Post, and others have transcripts of phone calls between Kushner, Bannon, and high-level Russian officials that are super damning and are not running the stories due to the Intelligence Community and Mueller's requests. Right now they're just rumors and I'll believe it when I see it. If it's true then it'll eventually come out in the Mueller investigation anyways.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If they publish stuff that was intercepted by the IC then they will legit start trying to prosecute the press

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Reverand maynard posted:

If they publish stuff that was intercepted by the IC then they will legit start trying to prosecute the press

But I thought the news was fake!? :thunk:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is actually any law that allows news papers to protect their sources

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wonder if that's linked to what Maddow just reported.

Someone tried to set them up with a forged NSA report directly linking the Trump campaign to Russian electioneering.

It also appears to have been produced using Reality Winner's leaked NSA report before that report was actually published, really begging the question of who made the loving thing

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Reverand maynard posted:

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is actually any law that allows news papers to protect their sources

The feds and most of the states have some form of newspaperman's privilege.

e: here's a guide by (U.S.) jurisdiction

joat mon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 7, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

The feds and most of the states have some form of newspaperman's privilege.

how solid is it though? My understanding is that its more of an unwritten rule than actual laws.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Like if Washington Post gets leaked damning phone conversations by the IC and publishes it, can Trump have his justice department prosecute them?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Possibly.

Closest analogue I can think of would be the Pentagon Papers, but Nixon didn't try to have the press jailed, they tried an injunction to block publishing which was struck down by the Supreme Court.

There's always the hope that you'd get one dude in Congress who enters it into the Congressional Record, in which case, all bets are loving off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

FSO's... the nation's best and most dedicated talent.

I mean, lets not oversell this too much.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Reverand maynard posted:

how solid is it though? My understanding is that its more of an unwritten rule than actual laws.
On the federal side, it is "unwritten law," which is to say, common law, which has the same force as written law.
That said, it's not solid, particularly on the Fed side. At best, it's a soft
balancing test between the benefits of a free press and and the ability of the government to investigate crimes.
Again, on the Fed side, the respect given to the privilege has mostly been driven by the unwillingness of the executive to wreck an understanding and relationship with the press that's always more or less worked. If you have an executive that does not know or care how things work and doesn't know or doesn't care that actions have consequences or effects, things can get really ... interesting.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I've heard the phone calls and you won't believe what they talk about

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's confirmation on the Pence picture, it's from gettyimages: https://twitter.com/passantino/status/883153403290963968

I prefer this version https://twitter.com/darth/status/883148414443167745

And here's the Donnie/Pootie handshake. https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/883284290687184897 :psyduck:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man I hope in 50 years or whatever we get to read Russia's internal files on this or someone's been there done that book from their side or something like the Mitrokhin Archive

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 7, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I asked in the trump thread and they told me the tapped kushner phone call story originates with Louise Mensch types.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Huh and look at that: president bitch boy didn't try to pull his little alpha male yank-shake™ on pootiekins :allears:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've said it before, but this is the kind of poo poo that makes me genuinely pissed off. It took loving decades, gallons of blood and sweat, the efforts of some of the best diplomatic minds this nation has ever seen, countless treasure, and a shitton of luck to grant the United States the preeminent position it holds at the top of the world, and these loving morons are pissing it all away for absolutely nothing.

Christ loving almighty it makes me mad.

Its good to me that the imperialist state is more likely to be destroyed by accident than rightly abolished

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
RIP Hamburg

Have some riot-media

One of the larger demonstrations that got hosed. Cops tried to isolate the black bloc (sp?) duders that were in violation of the anti-disguising/veiling laws, had no success, decided to disperse the demonstration, protesters were not amused, hail of objects ensued, water cannons move in to irrigate some folks at 5:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6fWPSEeRU

Just some casual protesters on their daily way to work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18vgefwPoEI

Instagram account with a ton of riot/protest pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fabianschumann/sets/72157683210507743

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When is Polizei Wasser Cannon Simulator 2018 coming out?

• Locked thread