Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete

Stinkier than your average bear
Good afternoon, fine art lovers and livers alike. There's a mural I saw, and it looks like this

What I'm trying to figure out, just racks my brains right up, is what those things on the ram's horns are. Do you know? I Googled "ram ornaments," but all I got was diddly squat

I mean the one on the left. I can see how maybe the middle one has plants and bells

they're not spinal cords, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
They almost look like falcons maybe standing on top of each other

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
they look kinda like earrings

alnilam

a braid of garlic?

Bert Roberge

They look like ribboned braids or long hair to me.

i am he

looks like some sort of garland type thing. also the shadow of the rams head looks like a rams body. art.

alnilam

*me reading the thread title* sure thing but it looks pretty heavy

vanisher

Clearly a string of butts

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Stinky_Pete

Thanks for the help, everyone. One day I'll find the thing repeated elsewhere, and now I have some new terms to get me there

deep dish peat moss

It's called Making History by John Wehrle

Specifically what you're looking for is called bucrania ornamenting or bucranium

Bucranium (plural bucrania; Latin, from Greek βουκράνιον, referring to the skull of an ox) was a common form of carved decoration in Classical architecture used to fill the metopes between the triglyphs of the frieze of Doric temples. A bas-relief or painted decor consisting of a series of bucrania draped or decorated with garlands of fruit or flowers was a Roman motif drawn from marble altars, which have survived in some number; the motif was also later used on Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical buildings. The name is generally considered to be a reference to the practice of garlanding sacrificial oxen, the heads of which were displayed on the walls of the temples, a practice with a long history reaching back to the sophisticated Neolithic site of Çatalhöyük in eastern Anatolia, where cattle skulls were overlaid with white plaster. A rich and festive Doric order was employed for the Basilica Aemilia on the Roman Forum; enough of it was standing for Giuliano da Sangallo to make a drawing, c 1520, reconstructing the facade (Codex Vaticano Barberiniano Latino 4424); the alternation of the shallow libation dishes called paterae with bucrania in the metopes reinforce the solemn sacrificial theme. With time, during the sixteenth century, the connection with sacrifices faded and bucrania became part of a decorative vocabulary that evoked "Roman-ness".

deep dish peat moss

For once that art history class I took 9 years ago comes in handy!!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's called Making History by John Wehrle

Specifically what you're looking for is called bucrania ornamenting or bucranium

Bucranium (plural bucrania; Latin, from Greek βουκράνιον, referring to the skull of an ox) was a common form of carved decoration in Classical architecture used to fill the metopes between the triglyphs of the frieze of Doric temples. A bas-relief or painted decor consisting of a series of bucrania draped or decorated with garlands of fruit or flowers was a Roman motif drawn from marble altars, which have survived in some number; the motif was also later used on Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical buildings. The name is generally considered to be a reference to the practice of garlanding sacrificial oxen, the heads of which were displayed on the walls of the temples, a practice with a long history reaching back to the sophisticated Neolithic site of Çatalhöyük in eastern Anatolia, where cattle skulls were overlaid with white plaster. A rich and festive Doric order was employed for the Basilica Aemilia on the Roman Forum; enough of it was standing for Giuliano da Sangallo to make a drawing, c 1520, reconstructing the facade (Codex Vaticano Barberiniano Latino 4424); the alternation of the shallow libation dishes called paterae with bucrania in the metopes reinforce the solemn sacrificial theme. With time, during the sixteenth century, the connection with sacrifices faded and bucrania became part of a decorative vocabulary that evoked "Roman-ness".

Thank you very much!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

Another byob success story

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

those dangling things are called mola because that's a mola ram

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Gay Weed Dad

cool dude, flyin' high
I have just been calling them cow earrings this whole time!

deep dish peat moss

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I have just been calling them cow earrings this whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete

thanks deep dish peat moss, you're my hero!

i can't believe anyone thinks education is a waste of time

You can turn the tables, but your feet will still be under them

• Locked thread