Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dr. Stone is a manga written by the author of Eyeshield 21, Riichiro Inagaki, and illustrated by the artist of Sun-Ken Rock, Boichi. More importantly it rules extremely hard. It is currently running in the VIZ online Shonen Jump every week so please support your official releases!

Premise: One morning Taiju Oki decides to finally confess his love to his classmate Yuzuriha. That afternoon after declining a surefire love potion from his scientific genius friend, Senku, Taiju decides to confess to Yuzuriha in front of the school's camphor tree. Halfway through Taiju's confession a bright light fills the sky and every human on planet Earth is turned to stone! Several thousand years later Taiju breaks free of his petrification and sets out to find Yuzuriha. Taiju finds her still petrified but meets Senku who has been revived for over half a year. Together they set out to start rebuilding society as well as finding out how and why people were turned to stone and how to reverse it. Not only will they have to rebuild society but they'll have to survive a dangerous and brutal world that has been reclaimed by nature.

Characters:

Taiju Oki is an incredibly honest and forthright young man. At the start of the story he is petrified halfway through his confession of love to Yuzuriha. His desire to finish his confession is what allowed him to remain conscious during his petrification. He is the brawn to Senku's brain but more accurately you just need to imagine a dog that's best friends with a cat. Taiju is extremely strong however he hates fighting and will just absorb attacks without retaliating. Some day I think he's going to punch someone and it'll rule hard.

Senku despite his young age is a brilliant scientist who plans to jump start society back to where it was before everything turned to stone. His dedication to scientific progress and the scientific method is second to none and he'd die in the pursuit of knowledge. Senku believes to realise his dreams he'll need muscle and strength and spent his first six months awake waiting for the return of Taiju. He plans to develop a cure for petrification and restore all of humanity. Part of how he remained conscious through the millennia was by counting the seconds which is how he knows what year it is.

Tsukasa Shishio, The Strongest Primate High Schooler is an incredibly strong high school student. He is physically powerful enough to take down a grown lion with his bare hands. Tsukasa is a born survivor and an incredible asset to Senku's and Taiju's survival efforts. Tsukasa believes that humanity had ruined the world before the petrification. He doesn't believe that adults should be revived and only youths should inherit the new Earth. This inevitably leads to conflict with Senku. It's unclear if and how Tsukasu remained conscious while petrified.

Yuzuriha is the recipient of Taiju's confession but more importantly she's a character in her own right. Since her revival she has been a great help to Senku's and Taiju's efforts to rebuild society. Her own goals and motivations haven't had a chance to been expanded on yet in the manga. It's unclear if and how Yuzuriha remained conscious while petrified.

Calcium Carbonate has many amazing uses most importantly though it can be used as medical soap. OH HELL YEAH BOYS IT'S THE FREAKING TITLE WOOOOO!!!

Why You Should Read It: Inagaki proved with Eyeshield 21 that he's an incredibly gifted author when it comes to character writing. From character development and growth to character interactions and relationships, Inagaki is a master of it all. Personally I was enthralled by the characters and storylines in Eyeshield 21 and I have no interest in American Football in reality, in fact it doesn't even air where I live. Therefore I'm super excited about an even more character driven story by him in a setting that I'm also super excited by. The premise of the story is very interesting and you can prove this to yourself with a fun thought exercise! Imagine you were sent back in time a couple of thousand years. What modern knowledge could you pass on to the people there? Or how would you use what you've learned in your life to survive there or improve your life! It's a very interesting idea to see how modern day knowledge and theory could be used in a time where we don't have modern technology and conveniences.

This isn't just a novel though, it's a manga so the art is very important and to many readers perhaps just as important if not more so! Boichi is a South Korean manwha artist who wrote and drew Sun-Ken Rock. Here are some great example of his artistic range in Dr. Stone from flowing action panels to ridiculous facial expressions.

I'll probably improve this over the next few days but it's very late right now!

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like this manga

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
More like Dr. StOwns.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i am excited by the premise of high school chemistry being extremely life and death important

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

This one popped up out of nowhere for me since I don't keep up with new releases often, but I've been keeping up with it and really loving it. I'm super excited to see where it goes. There have already been some really good twists and the story is already moving along at a good clip. I def recommend giving it a look.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
this manga is a psyop designed to get otaku to use soap

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The science duel slayed me, the faces in this chapter were top notch. The comedy has been fantastic so far.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Senku ftw.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The arithmetic battle gag at the end of the last chapter was perfect.

something something one milimeter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love how different all the characters look.

edit: I'm kinda curious how this conflict between Tsubasa and Senkuu is going to work, since if Senkuu is allowed enough time to actually develop any level of technology (particularly if it involves gunpowder), it won't be much of a fight. Heck, Senkuu can also do stuff like use his engineering skills (which seem to be okay, judging from what we've seen) to also help in other ways, like building defensive structures that some random people with melee weapons can't really do jack poo poo about. Though on the other hand, if Tsubasa encounters him prematurely the advantage would flip in the other direction.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 7, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, while I held out that Tsukasa wasn't going to be a pushover in the general thread I'm not totally sure how long things can last now Senkuu has a base to 4X from. They're going to have to slow down his advances. Which would be fair, you can't make a gun just because you know the gunpowder recipe without authorial handwaving.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Taiju Oki is an incredibly honest and forthright young man. At the start of the story he is petrified halfway through his confession of love to Yuzuriha. His desire to finish his confession is what allowed him to remain conscious during his petrification. He is the brawn to Senku's brain but more accurately you just need to imagine a dog that's best friends with a cat. Taiju is extremely strong however he hates fighting and will just absorb attacks without retaliating. Some day I think he's going to punch someone and it'll rule hard.

My friend Taiju will never punch anyone because he is a pure and good boy who would never hurt a fly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Really I would've preferred it be the fun adventures of Senkuu and his idiot friend (+his girlfriend) reinventing everything for a while longer before a central conflict was introduced, but it's still pretty funny so far.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gotta say I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I am. I've got some minor gripes with the writing but nothing that hurts it in the big picture. Plus the art is fantastic and obviously feels way different to most stuff you see in Jump. Word has been that it's hanging around the middle of the pack in the rankings so hopefully it doesn't slip and get canned anytime soon, I'm definitely interested in where they're going with it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

IF there is one village there is probably another. Tsukasa is going to have to 4x himself, science victory vs world conquest here we go.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My friend Taiju will never punch anyone because he is a pure and good boy who would never hurt a fly.

He will and it's going to insane when he does!

I'm glad someone read the OP in part at least :3:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dr. Stone is very good and something about the way it's written feels distinctly old-school anime to me, though I can't really put my finger on it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peel posted:

Yeah, while I held out that Tsukasa wasn't going to be a pushover in the general thread I'm not totally sure how long things can last now Senkuu has a base to 4X from. They're going to have to slow down his advances. Which would be fair, you can't make a gun just because you know the gunpowder recipe without authorial handwaving.

Yeah, honestly, if they actually want Senkuu to develop things like firearms, at some point it's going to have to be revealed that Senkuu actually has some sort of ridiculous perfect memory, because there's a bit of a difference between "basic knowledge of chemical reactions, simple engineering, etc" and the knowledge required to actually produce a complicated piece of technology like a firearm. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a stretch, since he's being put in opposition to Tsubasa, who is basically portrayed as having literally superhuman strength/ability. Though, to be fair, he could get pretty far simply by being capable of stuff like metalworking while Tsubasa's contingent isn't.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Making something like an assault rifle or revolver would be silly but a basic canon or flintlock type gun where you just pack a tube with gunpowder and steel ball seems easily within reach.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
the whole point of the series is that genius boy is gonna singlehandedly lift humanity back to modernity, hes gonna invent all that poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I starting reading it due to the title, I've kept reading it because it owns.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, honestly, if they actually want Senkuu to develop things like firearms, at some point it's going to have to be revealed that Senkuu actually has some sort of ridiculous perfect memory, because there's a bit of a difference between "basic knowledge of chemical reactions, simple engineering, etc" and the knowledge required to actually produce a complicated piece of technology like a firearm. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a stretch, since he's being put in opposition to Tsubasa, who is basically portrayed as having literally superhuman strength/ability. Though, to be fair, he could get pretty far simply by being capable of stuff like metalworking while Tsubasa's contingent isn't.

I think Senkuu is definitely supposed to be as exaggerated as Tsukasa, just mentally rather than physically. He'd have to be just to achieve what he has so far. The series is basically structured around giving each character an extreme personality and a gimmick ability, then using these to draw every conflict and event in entertaining bold face.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
The moment I was sold on the series was when the protag literally said "THIS IS A REAL LIFE GAME OF CIV." I don't know if that was the translation talking liberties or whatever, but from that point on I figured I was okay with literally anything he pulled out of nowhere because I was just thinking in civ terms.

What I'm saying is that I hope Senku has the DLC installed.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Civ like games are one of my favorite genres, but I keep flipping back and forth about whether I like this series or not. Senku is great and when it's just about him educationally building stuff to overcome problems I love it. And the most recent chapter, when he looked at Chrome and realized that even if he fails and Tsukasa wins, humanity has a drive towards discovery and will eventually reconstruct science, that was really nice and way more subtle than I expected.

But Tsukasa just leaves me cold. His plan is cruel and more importantly for a villain, seems pointless and unworkable. Like, I could get behind him as a character if he just outright said he doesn't want technology because in this stone age world he's unstoppable and can do whatever he wants. Instead it's got this philosophical luddite justification, and while I can accept that Tsukasa might really believe it, I just think about how he plans to convinces other people (modern "real" world teenagers) to go along with him, and it just falls apart in my mind. "I want to murder your parents, and by the way we're also never going to have medicine or even wheels to cart things around with." seems like a really hard sell to make to a bunch of children.

Well who knows, once the story actually shows what he's doing with his faction maybe it'll be ok, but right now I'm kind of dreading the shift back to it.

Taiju and Yuzuriha are both pretty generic seeming to me, and pretty uninteresting. I don't dislike them or anything, but they don't stand out in any way.

The story is alot of fun whenever Senku is doing stuff, but not fun when the other main characters have the focus. I have high hopes though! It's very different than anything I've read or seen so far and the title character seems like he's enjoyable enough to support the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Galvanik posted:

Taiju and Yuzuriha are both pretty generic seeming to me, and pretty uninteresting. I don't dislike them or anything, but they don't stand out in any way.

Taiju and Yuzuriha both got lost on their way to find Tsukasa and are never seen again for the rest of the comic.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Galvanik posted:

I just think about how he plans to convinces other people (modern "real" world teenagers) to go along with him, and it just falls apart in my mind. "I want to murder your parents, and by the way we're also never going to have medicine or even wheels to cart things around with." seems like a really hard sell to make to a bunch of children.

Given his strength and total willingness to kill whoever he needs to get his way I would assume he'd either force them to follow him or just kill them if they refuse, as he tried to do with Senku.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Dr. Stone rules and the dynamic between super-genius Senku and human perpetual motion machine Taiju is hilarious.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't get why they called Tsukasa "The Strongest Primate High Schooler". I get that he's suppose to be strong, but why "primate"? Honestly, it would make more sense if they called him a neanderthal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't get why they called Tsukasa "The Strongest Primate High Schooler". I get that he's suppose to be strong, but why "primate"? Honestly, it would make more sense if they called him a neanderthal.

He won the title in an arm wrestling contest with the gorilla from Cromartie.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Given his strength and total willingness to kill whoever he needs to get his way I would assume he'd either force them to follow him or just kill them if they refuse, as he tried to do with Senku.

I get that he can and probably will force people to go along with his views, but to me that seems at odds with his rationalization for why he's killing techonologists. If Tsukasa is just going to use brute force to impose his will like a Might Makes Right despot, then he doesn't need to justify himself beyond that. But since he did I feel like the story is going to have a sizable chunk of the people in his tribe agreeing with him. Especially if the comic ends up being two (or more) rival societies battling it out in Grand Strategy fashion.

Edit: Anyway it's all speculation and hopefully needless worry on my part. We won't know until the comic gets back to Tsukasa.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 8, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Making something like an assault rifle or revolver would be silly but a basic canon or flintlock type gun where you just pack a tube with gunpowder and steel ball seems easily within reach.

You definitely need a strong base of iron working for a cannon and I'm sure with his ten billion IQ points Senku could build a strong furnace that's still a lot of prep-work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

senku will defeat tsukasa with a trebuchet

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waiting for the chapter where senkuu makes a nuke.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he'll use the orbital laser cannon out of akira

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

then Taiju and Yuzuriha come out of nowhere with the Diplomatic victory

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hope there is some really weird racism like in eyeshield

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Peel posted:

Shits over, he invented gunpowder. "Big ball full of gunpowder that explodes" is a technology that is over a thousand years old at this point, probably. We have written accounts of trebuchets firing them from 1044, which means they are older, so yeah. This is a fairly mature technology, and one that doesn't particularly require all that much advancement. You don't need rock solid metallurgy or any of that. All that gets you is more complicated and reliable weapons. If you just want something to blow up and kill a lot of people, it's pretty drat simple. The most complicated part of the process is the gunpowder. Senku actually gets 40 people on his side, it's even more ridiculously over than it was when he survived in the first place. So the cave man could make an army of muscle losers, and the second the first bomb goes off they'll break. One guy is big and strong and tough, the other can make it rain fire from the sky. This isn't a conflict, it's the sad execution of a teenage boy with mental problems.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mulva posted:

Shits over, he invented gunpowder. "Big ball full of gunpowder that explodes" is a technology that is over a thousand years old at this point, probably. We have written accounts of trebuchets firing them from 1044, which means they are older, so yeah. This is a fairly mature technology, and one that doesn't particularly require all that much advancement. You don't need rock solid metallurgy or any of that. All that gets you is more complicated and reliable weapons. If you just want something to blow up and kill a lot of people, it's pretty drat simple. The most complicated part of the process is the gunpowder. Senku actually gets 40 people on his side, it's even more ridiculously over than it was when he survived in the first place. So the cave man could make an army of muscle losers, and the second the first bomb goes off they'll break. One guy is big and strong and tough, the other can make it rain fire from the sky. This isn't a conflict, it's the sad execution of a teenage boy with mental problems.

I don't believe gunpowder alone was really enough to actually win battles on its own until reliable guns/cannons, though. It's also very possible Tsukasa will ultimately acquire far more people, since he's likely to use the un-stoning formula and force people to join his group.

edit: I mean, if things were realistic, just a bunch of people with spears would be enough to defeat any exceptionally talented individual, but Tsukasa is being portrayed as a guy who literally can't be defeated without the help of (more) modern weapons.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 8, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't believe gunpowder alone was really enough to actually win battles on its own until reliable guns/cannons, though. It's also very possible Tsukasa will ultimately acquire far more people, since he's likely to use the un-stoning formula and force people to join his group.

edit: I mean, if things were realistic, just a bunch of people with spears would be enough to defeat any exceptionally talented individual, but Tsukasa is being portrayed as a guy who literally can't be defeated without the help of (more) modern weapons.

You know where the phrase "bulletproof" came from?

Plate armor. Tradition was to shoot it with a pistol round at close range. The little dent showed that you didn't have to worry about randomly getting shot. There were even special armor designs built for riding into battle shooting your pistols at everyone nearby. There's a lot of time between "Guns exist" and guns dominating the battlefield.

And again, this guy's... well, a manga martial artist. They tend to be built tougher than the average. Master Asia, for example, beats up giant robots with a piece of cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Senkuu needs to recreate Greek Fire and Archimedes laser.